HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Possible 2012-13 lineup/Cap situation

Old
01-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
36yo is young for a goalie ? On what planet do you live ?

This idea that we can work around a goalie with good defencemen is ridiculous, it has worked so well for Philly, right ?

We have a franchise goalie who is young, why on earth would we downgrade at a position (the only ****ing one) that we don't have a problem with ?

Come on ? Why create another problem ? Just give the guy what he wants and try to solve problems instead of creating new ones !!!
Well not young but you know what I mean..goalies usually play until they are 39-40.

Why would I give him what he wants? You say why am I creating more problems when your actually the one creating problems! You pay Price 6-7 M $ then everybody will be overpayed on your team in the future. That extra 2 m $ your giving him can't be used to get a forward or a decent defenseman.

Subban will say well Price got 7 ..I should at least get 5 ..then wtf u do !?!

You need to have a structure on your team ..Price getting 6 to 7 is a JOKE! This is for goalies who have proven themselves time and time again. Price should get 4.75-5 ..maybe 5.5 to really push it.

Why you talking about Philadelphia? They never had a goalie like Vokoun ..Vokoun is not a good goalie, he's a GREAT goalie and he's been like that everywhere he's been whether he has good teams or bad teams in front of him!

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Cole-xxxx-Pacioretty
Bourque-Eller-Kostitsyn
xxxxx-Desharnais-xxxxx
White-xxxxx-xxxxx

xxxxx-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Diaz

Price
xxxxx

trade
Plekanec
Gionta
Gill
Weber
Kaberle
Gomez

for picks ,prospects and players who can fil the xxxxxx

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:28 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Well not young but you know what I mean..goalies usually play until they are 39-40.

Why would I give him what he wants? You say why am I creating more problems when your actually the one creating problems! You pay Price 6-7 M $ then everybody will be overpayed on your team in the future. That extra 2 m $ your giving him can't be used to get a forward or a decent defenseman.

Subban will say well Price got 7 ..I should at least get 5 ..then wtf u do !?!

You need to have a structure on your team ..Price getting 6 to 7 is a JOKE! This is for goalies who have proven themselves time and time again. Price should get 4.75-5 ..maybe 5.5 to really push it.

Why you talking about Philadelphia? They never had a goalie like Vokoun ..Vokoun is not a good goalie, he's a GREAT goalie and he's been like that everywhere he's been whether he has good teams or bad teams in front of him!
You should look at the market a re-think...

Rinne : What has he done ?
Bryz : What has he done ?
Lundqvist : when he signed his contract, what did he do?
Luongo ?
Backstrom ?
Craig Anderson for christ sake got 3mil !

He'll be in the Top 5 of the best paid goalie 6,5+.

It might prevent this team to offer 2mil to a fourth liner, but it garantees no more headache at the goalie position for a long time...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:29 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

So now, what are the candidates?
[All around - Mid 6-9 forward]
Derick Brassard
David Jones
Lee Stempniak
Jarret Stoll
Kyle Brodziak

[Physical Safe D-man]
T. Gleason
B. Allen
N. Grossman
Barret Jackman
Shane O'Brien
Brad Stuart

[Faceoff Physical Center]
J. Slater
Z.Konopka
Jay McClement

Out of reach IMHO:
Z. Parize
Tuomo Ruutu
R.Suter
P. Gaustad

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:36 AM
GeneralMarky79

Quote:
Im going to cry if Price gets 5.75 M $ on the cap ..that's ridiculous amount of money to pay for a goalie who has 1 great year and the rest of his reputation is based on "potential".

That contract has mistake written all over it.
if your going to cry about 5.75 say over 5 years ?? then you need to go back to kindergarten and maybe learn a little bit about hockey? Considering what Ramo just signed for5.75 a yr is fair for price entering his prime!!

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:41 AM
GeneralMarky79

Pekke Renne I meant to say not Ramo.. hes making 7 mil a yr

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:41 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
I would love to have Parise on our team, a complete player to complement Plekanec. Imagine a Parise-Plekanec duo on the PK lol
And please stop putting Gomez in your lineup. Also, if PG/or whoever the GM is can trade Gionta, do it.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.500m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.175m)
Darche (peanuts) / Paul Gaustad ($2.75 -- might be too much?) / Ryan White ($0.687m)
Spare

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($3.000m)
Tim Gleason ($4.50m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.000m) ---> against Lucic line
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m) / Hedberg (1.25)
Depends on Markov's health. But we have a small window here where Markov is still young (assuming he's healthy). We have to go for it NOW.

Like this lineup a lot, but I would prefer Tim Gleason in there instead of Diaz and don't want Konopka (too many penalties). Gleason provides the same toughness, but improves our Dzone tuff and is a big upgrade on Gill. He's as tough as they come and a strong skater. Would be nice having him go up against the Lucic line. Kind of like Scott Stevens redux.

This is why I hope PG keeps his job. I know he is pushing the team in this direction and it's long overdue. We are finally addressing our toughness issues and are gearing this team for playoff hockey (Kaberle trade aside).

If we couldn't move Gomez/Kaberle then this scenario would not work - obviously. I would trade Gionta if I could convince Doan to spend a couple years in the winter, obviously.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 01-14-2012 at 12:42 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:14 PM
odishabs

Re-Build, but not fully. Build around our size and kids.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cole
Bourque - Eller - Gionta
Kostitsyn - LeBlanc - ______
______ - _______ - ______

Gorges - Subban
Markov - ______
Kaberle - Emelin

Price
Budaj

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMarky79 View Post
if your going to cry about 5.75 say over 5 years ?? then you need to go back to kindergarten and maybe learn a little bit about hockey? Considering what Ramo just signed for5.75 a yr is fair for price entering his prime!!
You only mention goalies that help your point but not other goalies that help my point:

Tim Thomas 5 M $ cap hit . Best goalie in the league. Won Vezine before his contract.
Jonas Hiller 4.5 M $
Cam Ward - 6.3 M $ - Conne Smythe - Stanley Cup then signed contract.
Theodore 5.25-5.5 with Habs after winning Vezina (there was no cap before).
Fleury (most comparable) since he's a top pick like price, young, played WJC. However Fleury won the cup already ...5 M $

Luongo - 5.33 M $ hit. Bad contract but when he signed, he was widely considered the best goalie in the league.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
You only mention goalies that help your point but not other goalies that help my point:

Tim Thomas 5 M $ cap hit . Best goalie in the league. Won Vezine before his contract.
Jonas Hiller 4.5 M $
Cam Ward - 6.3 M $ - Conne Smythe - Stanley Cup then signed contract.
Theodore 5.25-5.5 with Habs after winning Vezina (there was no cap before).
Fleury (most comparable) since he's a top pick like price, young, played WJC. However Fleury won the cup already ...5 M $

Luongo - 5.33 M $ hit. Bad contract but when he signed, he was widely considered the best goalie in the league.
now, when were all of these contracts signed?

wether you like it or not, the current market price is set by the most recent contracts given out, that's what any half decent agent will push for and convince his client he is worth.

what Theodore signed almost 10 years ago won't factor in to the equation...

given where Price is at (in both the vezina/hart voting last year, all-star this year... and who knows how well he will play in the 2nd half & what that will mean for his recognition by year end), given how heavily the team obviously relies on him (led league in starts last year, on pace to do it again this year), given how little depth we have at the position, and given the most recent contracts (Rinne -7M$/year, Bryzgalov 5.7M$/year for 9 years), if we get him under 6M$ on a long-term deal (4+ years), we've done well.

of course, we could use his RFA status to lowball him, forcing him to either sign at much less than he values himself at or sit out like Turris did, but that is a one-way ticket to watching leave town... something he knows we'd be crazy to do.

"winning" the negotiation battle by getting him to accept a short term deal at a much "better" price will mean "losing" the war of having an elite goalie locked in long term and happy to be playing for an organization that he feels respects him.

you need to realize that it's about more than just numbers... as we saw with Cammy, ego is a huge thing, and Price clearly has a very strong ego (which is what helps make him so good)... screwing around with his ego (as we experienced with Roy) will just push him away.

would be nice to, for once, have a star player who is happy and is performing locked in for a while.

5.75, 6, 6.25... anything in that ball park still makes a lot of sense for what we get. going higher than that starts to hurt, but forcing him to take 500k-1M$ less does little to help us and will hurt much more

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
now, when were all of these contracts signed?

wether you like it or not, the current market price is set by the most recent contracts given out, that's what any half decent agent will push for and convince his client he is worth.

what Theodore signed almost 10 years ago won't factor in to the equation...

given where Price is at (in both the vezina/hart voting last year, all-star this year... and who knows how well he will play in the 2nd half & what that will mean for his recognition by year end), given how heavily the team obviously relies on him (led league in starts last year, on pace to do it again this year), given how little depth we have at the position, and given the most recent contracts (Rinne -7M$/year, Bryzgalov 5.7M$/year for 9 years), if we get him under 6M$ on a long-term deal (4+ years), we've done well.

of course, we could use his RFA status to lowball him, forcing him to either sign at much less than he values himself at or sit out like Turris did, but that is a one-way ticket to watching leave town... something he knows we'd be crazy to do.

"winning" the negotiation battle by getting him to accept a short term deal at a much "better" price will mean "losing" the war of having an elite goalie locked in long term and happy to be playing for an organization that he feels respects him.

you need to realize that it's about more than just numbers... as we saw with Cammy, ego is a huge thing, and Price clearly has a very strong ego (which is what helps make him so good)... screwing around with his ego (as we experienced with Roy) will just push him away.

would be nice to, for once, have a star player who is happy and is performing locked in for a while.

5.75, 6, 6.25... anything in that ball park still makes a lot of sense for what we get. going higher than that starts to hurt, but forcing him to take 500k-1M$ less does little to help us and will hurt much more
What you talking about?
Bryzgalov has nothing to do with Price. Bryz was a UFA and has much more experience than Price. We all agree it was a ridiculous contract.

Rinne is definetvly something Price's camp will bring up in negotiations.

Old
01-14-2012, 04:13 PM
subbang76
I CAN SPEAK FRENCH!

We need to get bigger up front as Pierre Gauthier mentioned in his press conference on Thursday. If I was in Gauthier's shoes, I'd look to make the following trade-

Montreal:
Tomas Plekanec
Danny Kristo
Travis Moen
Tomas Kaberle/Hal Gill (Choice)
3rd 2012

Anaheim:
Getzlaf

Pacioretty - Getzlaf - Cole
Bourque - Eller - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Desharnais - Leblanc
Darche - Nokalainen - Blunden

Subban - Gorges
Diaz - Emelin
Weber - Gill/Kaberle - (depending on which one Anaheim takes)
Campoli

Price
Budaj

subbang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbang76 View Post
We need to get bigger up front as Pierre Gauthier mentioned in his press conference on Thursday. If I was in Gauthier's shoes, I'd look to make the following trade-

Montreal:
Tomas Plekanec
Danny Kristo
Travis Moen
Tomas Kaberle/Hal Gill (Choice)
3rd 2012

Anaheim:
Getzlaf

Pacioretty - Getzlaf - Cole
Bourque - Eller - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Desharnais - Leblanc
Darche - Nokalainen - Blunden

Subban - Gorges
Diaz - Emelin
Weber - Gill/Kaberle - (depending on which one Anaheim takes)
Campoli

Price
Budaj
so you trade our trash for Getzlaf? loool

Plekanec is good.
Moen is UFA ..why would a rebuilding Anaheim want him??
Gill is UFA and geezer old!..why would a rebuilding Anaheim want him??
Danny Kristo is decent. nothing more.
Kaberle was onthe market for months when he was with Carolina and nobody wants him.

All this for a 1st line Center, young player, great contract, big, 90+ pts? ...

try something like this:

Plekanec
Pacioretty
Tinordi or Beaulieu
Danny Kristo

for

Getzlaf
Bobby Ryan

Old
01-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Trying to figure out next year is a bit premature, there is a number of things that have to play out before you have a good picture of the situation.

1. What you can do at the trade deadline. Gill and Campoli are no brainers but what's out there for Kostitsyn or Moen and whether its enough to part with them and not resign them. Also if you can flip Kaberle for an asset and not take salary back. And if there is someone willing to give you a king's ransom for Plekanec (who probably should be kept but I have an open mind).

2. What is Markov now? We have to see if he can play again and if he's a top pairing defenseman still. If he isn't then that's another hole to fill.

3. Where you sit at the draft table and who is availible then. Picking 1-2 is a big difference in long term plans then picking 5-10.

4. What the new CBA has in store. Does the cap go down? If it does do player salaries all get slashed or stay the same? Is there a new free buyout period? This has a big effect on what kind of cap situation you have moving forward.

5. What can you do to get rid of underperforming salary in Gomez and Kaberle.

Until you have answers to these questions you're really not in a position to make long term plans.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I would move Plekanec either at the deadline or this coming off season for a top ten pick or some solid prospects. Numerous teams are looking to add centermen but are not in a position to draft one, thus we could command a fairly good return. Washington is a prime example of who to target, although Chicago has long coveted a proper second line center in lieu of using Kane, who has struggling mightily on the productivity scale because of it. (citation)

We're stuck with Gionta until next season, and while I wouldn't mind keeping him around to mentor the youth. If he can pick up his production for next season, we have an asset for yet another prospect.

Markov is the curious case because if he does return, I would deal him at next year's deadline, especially if he plays well. Some might argue this but there will be teams desperate enough to pay the ransom for Markov of old, regardless of his injury history. I wouldn't want to risk yet another injury when he could be the biggest ticket to fleecing a team. Look at Hemsky from this year to last. Edmonton's demands were so outrageous, no one bothered and now they'd be lucky to get a late first after his awful season. Obviously, we needn't sell low however if offers are reasonable or beyond, Markov needs to be traded.

Let Gomez play out his contract, seeing we're not a competitive team through its duration anyway, and chase Ruutu hard, even if we overpay. I would rather move Kostityn to Pittsburgh this current deadline as they might just be inclined to pay to salvage their season. He has been good but Bourque essentially took his role and I would rather bring in more assets.

Quote:

FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Mikhail Grigorenko (ELC) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Lars Eller ($2.000m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Louis Leblanc ($1.170m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.500m)
Arron Asham ($1.000m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / / Mathieu Darche ($0.850m)
Ryan White ($0.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($4.000m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Nathan Beaulieu (ELC) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($4.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,460,476; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,839,524
Odds are good Ruutu replaces Bourque, and I wouldn't be adverse to giving him a little more salary if that was what it took. In addition, I would bring in some call ups from Hamilton however Asham and Darche give us some physicality while the kids ease into the NHL. Evidently, neither would have more than a two year deal, with Darche possibly one.

Cut and dry, the aforementioned team is weak but committed to a very necessary rebuild, giving us a legitimate opportunity to shed some dead weight. If we acquired Colorado's pick for Plekanec and a late first for Kostitsyn, there is a possibility we could move up further in the draft and real bolster the roster for the long term, otherwise two three firsts in this year's draft is amazing.

People who have Parise, Suter and especially Radulov in their rosters have simply lost touch with reality; it's a pipe dream people. If one of them actually signed here, yes this would change the overall direction but the odds are beyond limited. Why would someone of their caliber play for a team toiling in the basement with the circus going on this year? Montreal needs to rebuild its image as much as the team, and you do that through accepting a full rebuild mentality. We're not looking to compete until year three at a minimum, four being the "safe" call.

We failed the first attempt, can we do it right this second round?

Quote:
Plekanec
Pacioretty
Tinordi or Beaulieu
Danny Kristo

for

Getzlaf
Bobby Ryan
Take out Ryan and Anaheim doesn't report Gauthier for harassment but still refuses.

We don't have the assets to bring in Getzlaf, even if your offer is significantly better than the person you quoted. Plekanec on his best day isn't in Getzlaf's shadow, while Pacioretty is nowhere near developed enough to warrant a return of this caliber. Beaulieu, Tinordi and Kristo are all unknown and thus limited in value. Furthermore, Anaheim has no real need of defense unless they can acquire an elite prospect. None of who you mentioned qualifies, even if Subban was added. Getzlaf is simply too good and far exceeds our price range, despite his season.

Last edited by Bourne Endeavor: 01-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Trying to figure out next year is a bit premature, there is a number of things that have to play out before you have a good picture of the situation.

1. What you can do at the trade deadline. Gill and Campoli are no brainers but what's out there for Kostitsyn or Moen and whether its enough to part with them and not resign them. Also if you can flip Kaberle for an asset and not take salary back. And if there is someone willing to give you a king's ransom for Plekanec (who probably should be kept but I have an open mind).

2. What is Markov now? We have to see if he can play again and if he's a top pairing defenseman still. If he isn't then that's another hole to fill.

3. Where you sit at the draft table and who is availible then. Picking 1-2 is a big difference in long term plans then picking 5-10.

4. What the new CBA has in store. Does the cap go down? If it does do player salaries all get slashed or stay the same? Is there a new free buyout period? This has a big effect on what kind of cap situation you have moving forward.

5. What can you do to get rid of underperforming salary in Gomez and Kaberle.

Until you have answers to these questions you're really not in a position to make long term plans.
I think you are being too hard on Kaberle. I don't see where the Habs go to bring in an upgrade on him next season. 4.25mil is a lot to pay a middle of the pack winger, but is close to the going rate these days for a middle of the pack veteran dman, which is where I think Kabs fits.

Last edited by Roulin: 01-14-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I think you are being too hard on Kaberle. I don't see where the Habs go to bring in an upgrade on him next season. 4.25mil is a lot to pay a middle of the pack winger, but is close to the going rate these days for a middle of the pack veteran dman, which is where I think Kabs fits.
You'd be much better off with someone like Gleason for that money. Even if he pulls himself up to 2nd pairing level on even strength Montreal is already pretty strong in his areas of strength with Subban, Markov, Diaz/Weber.

Only if Markov isn't a player anymore does Kaberle do much for Montreal.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Roulin

I'm not sure how keen he'd be to come here, but... Beauchemin? I think he'd be a good candidate to settle down the blue line for a few years, until (hopefully) the kids are ready.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Jerky

Nothing too drastic here. Fix our defense, which will also help our PP by signing Ryan Suter to a 6 year deal. Buy out Gomez. Roll 3 scoring lines. Bring in Jay McClement to be our #1 PK Center. Draft Alex Galchenyuk 5th/6th overall, keep him in junior for another year or two (injured for the season this year) then kiss off Desharnais when he's ready. Our core Centers will be Plecky - Eller - Galchenyuk......not bad.

No need for a drastic 3 year tank job. 1 year re-tooling. If this team stays healthy, they'll be competitive.

FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.750m) / Lars Eller ($1.850m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.170m)
Travis Moen ($1.750m) / Jay McClement ($1.250m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)
Mike Blunden ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.500m)
P.K. Subban ($2.750m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.500m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.250m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($5.250m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,468,333; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $131,667

If we can't get rid of Kaberle's contract, then capitalize on his PP skills with Subban on the 2nd PP wave (First is Markov - Suter)

Markov and Kaberle's contracts expire at the same time, which gives Beaulieu and Tinordi 2 whole years to develop in Hamilton

2014 - 2015 Defense

Subban - Suter
Beaulieu - Gorges
Tinordi - Emelin

Last edited by Jerky: 01-15-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:38 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post

FORWARDS
Erik Cole ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Max Pacioretty ($1.625m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($4.250m) / Lars Eller ($2.100m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m)
Ryan White ($0.800m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.650m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.170m)
Andreas Engqvist ($0.575m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Yemelin ($1.750m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / PK Subban ($3.200m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.600m)
Frederic St. Denis ($0.705m)

GOALTENDERS
Peter Budaj ($1.150m) / Carey Price ($5.750m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,865,476; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,434,524

Call me crazy but I really like that team. It presumes Markov comes back and is healthy and Kaberle is traded, Kaberle can be slotted in if Markov is done.

If Gomez can be bought out for free they'll surely do so, and then I would probably pee my pants with joy if the Habs put in a 7 year 52.5 millon dollar contract for Parise and he took it.
forget this Markov healthy crap , its over
Gomez...no buyout ...let him rot in Hamilton for 2 years

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:41 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Realistic "ideal" roster:

-trade gill, campoli, kaberle by the deadline for picks/prospects
- bury Gomez in the summer
- sign T.Gleason @ 4 yrs, 3.9M$/year
- sign J.Slater @ 2 yrs, 1.25M$/year

re-sign:
Subban, 4-5 yrs @ 4.875M$/year (under 5M on 4+ yrs)
Price, 4-6 yrs @ 5.75M$/year (under 6M on 4+ yrs)
Kost, 2-4 yrs @ 4.25M$ (under 4.5M on >4yrs)
Moen, 2-3 yrs @ 1.75M$ (under 2M on >3yrs)
Diaz & Emelin, 2-3 yrs @ 1.25M$
Eller 2 yrs @ 1.75M$

FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Erik Cole ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Max Pacioretty ($1.625m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.750m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($4.250m)
Mike Blunden ($0.750m) / Jim Slater ($1.250m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)

Depth = Leblanc, Palushaj, Engqvist, Gallagher/Kristo?...

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($4.875m)
Tim Gleason ($3.900m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Alexei Emelin ($1.250m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.250m)
Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

Depth = Nash, St.Denis, AHL UFA, Beaulieu/Tinordi/Ellis?

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($5.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,108,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $5,191,667

I'd be happy going into 2012-2013 with something like that.

It's not awe-inspiring, but there is another depth up front and a solid balance throughout the lineup that with Price backing that group and a solid coaching staff in place, we should compete comfortably for a top-6 spot in the conference.

Keeping ~5M$ in cap space let's us stay in the conversation if any truly elite players become available during the season (Nash? Getzlaf/Perry? Weber?), or to make in-season adjustments to deal with injuries/bolster the deadline
same S H I T lineup we have now

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:53 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
You sign another goalie that's on the market..Vokoun, Biron, Emery

Nobody will give Price an offer sheet because they have to give up 5 things:

1) Cap Space
2) 4 1st round picks!!!
I am a big believer the team is more important than the goalie, so, having said that I can see where you're coming from. Price probably has a pretty high trade value as well. I'm not saying trade him, so please don't attack me.

If he's between 6.5-7.5m we have to seriously contemplate moving forward without him, I don't think he'll command that kind of money, he hasn't done anywhere near enough.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
same S H I T lineup we have now
while it may not be "exciting" in the sense of adding some high profile elite player, realistically speaking the odds of us landing such a player are slim, and if we did, it would likely be at the expense of some of the quality players we have now, leading to a questionable upgrade.

imo:

- eller, maxpac, DD, subban, diaz, weber, emelin, white all could reasonably be expected to continue progressing/improving over the next 8-9 months.

at their age/development stage, don't dismiss the impact that an extra summer of training conditioning & experienced mental preperation for a new season can have.

not likely that ALL of them will improve, and probably that some may stagnate or regress slightly, but overall, those 7 players should, as a group, give the habs more than they have given us this year, which on it's own will = improved team performance.

- return of Markov (unless his problems lead to retirement) should be a positive addition, even if he is not likely to be back at his previous level (top-10 dman), if he is playing he should be a solid top-4 dman for us

- Gleason is the exact type of balanced addition to our defensive group that could have a significant positive impact, adding some grit & physical presence while lightening that burden on Gorges/Subban/Emelin (who, amazingly, our what pass for "tough" players on our current squad)

- injuries... or lack thereof. Our string of ridiculous injury affliction could continue, but if it did, wouldn't really matter what "upgrade" we made as they would theoretically be just as prone to it. If we can stay health"ier" next year, our lineup should be much more effective on that basis alone.

so yeah, from a purely cosmetic level, the roster I proposed doesn't seem like a noticeable improvment from the current one.

in tangible effectiveness, for the reasons stated above, I think that roster would be deeper and stronger than the one we iced to start the season... going into this year I saw a 6-10 team, needing things to go incredibly right to finish 6th or better, or incredibly poorly to finish 10th or worse.

with the roster I suggest for next season, I'd view them as slightly better equipped, something like a 4-8 team, playoff worthy unless things went horribly wrong.

with a ~5M$ cap cushion, that's a marked improvement and a skilled GM would use that cap space to either "tweak" the roster to improve playoff run, or jump in on an elite player sweepstake from a team needing/wanting to unload salary/avoid losing a UFA-to-be for nothing.

just about the best realistic scenario I can envision... curious to the better alternative you'd propose?

Old
01-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

I was thinking something like this for next year.

FORWARDS

Erik Cole
Rene Bourque
David Desharnais
Tuomo Ruutu
Max Pacioretty
Tomas Plekanec
Radulov if someone gets traded.
Brian Gionta
Travis Moen
Lars Eller

4th line or platooned on 3rd
Thornton
Zenon Konopka
Arron Asham

New adds on d
7th dman -Matt Carkner
Tim Gleason

Habs get alot tougher ,and more physical in a big way ..
We got the big body skill up front , and the muscle on the bottom end(4th line) that got a little skill to chip in on offense too....Also able to platoon onto the 3rd from time to time ..

Gleason adds more toughness and hits on the backend, and Carkner as 7th/8th for more in your face if needed.

No more getting pushed around.

Moen
Gleason
Thornton
Asham
Carkner
Konopka

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-15-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Miller Time

rumors in the twitterverse have the habs offering CP 49M/7yrs, and him wanting 70M/10yrs...

hope that's wrong (both club offer and player request), but i think a lot of you optimists out there that think he'll sign a discount deal are in for quite the shock.