HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/13/12 Capitals vs Lightning 7PM Verizon Center: Revenge, Photoshop, and Gifs.

Old
01-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Carlzner

vCash: 500
I love Orlov. What a pick.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:16 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
So you think Downie is an top tier technical fighter? Hockey fights are almost all technical unless you just flail your arms like Mellanby. Or Semin So you should have no problem finding guys out of his weight class he has dropped probably, right? Heck try his weight class, Asham etc. Do you think he is a top rated middle? Have fun proving it. He largely fights on emotion and anger goading players that dont usually fight. A very strong technical fighter would not be challenged by Alzner.

If he is that technical to make suggesting otherwise laughable, why did he not embarrass Alzner, a total noob?

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-14-2012 at 12:29 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
This NEEDS to be on our thread. Our D have sacks. I love it.

I guess the no clipping memo was in English.

Amazing. I wish Beninati or the crowd had reacted at all.

Also, is there video of Alzner's fight anywhere?

Edit: Found it (hockeyfights.com and Whyno's blog post). Wasn't much of a punch Alzner landed, but he certainly didn't get embarrassed.

Last edited by Liberati0n*: 01-14-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:32 AM
bonzaibondra12

I must admit when the crowd started cheering, and I looked down the ice to see Alzner/Downie, I started to hold my breath. I wasn't cheering because I was afraid something bad was going to happen, ala Beagle.

Thankfully, it didn't and I think Alzner did well for his first fight. If he can add a physical nastiness to his game then he will be one of the best defenseman in the league. I think his offense has picked up some this year, and his defense is sound. Need him to get angry and start hitting.

Orlov is going to be great. If he can net a goal, and pick up some confidence then I will join the not missing Green team.

Knuble's gaffe that led to the goal was a real head scratcher. No clue what he was doing. Looked like he zoned out while he had the puck. His offense is non-existent, the last thing we need is his defensive zone play to go.

Brouwer had Rollie check him in the back seconds before he scored his first goal. Maybe he needs more of that.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Downie isn't a great technical fighter. He has pretty good experience, and he's relatively willing to be dirty (punch on the way down, sucker punch, rabbit punch, you name it). In all honesty, Alzner had him going pretty early and then in my mind he realized who he was tangling with, got hit once, and figured, I better get down. Alzner never will be nasty, but he does need to be willing to go every once in a while. Carlson as well. It's the role of a defenseman. Especially if he's a shutdown guy.

I have no problem with the fight in the context of the game. Downie's a rat, and he's a guy our players need to stand up to on occasion. If it's a guy like Alzner, who obviously knows something about taking care of himself and he isn't delicate flower, he played in the W for god's sake, if not the finer points of fighting, then so be it. I rather him not have to do so, and someone like Hendricks fight him, but Downie's going to flop on the ice as soon as Hendricks gloves get off.

Personally, I think the message sent by Alzner in that fight is more than a win in and of itself. He showed he has a sack, he's willing to stick up for his teammates if need be, and that clowns like Downie are going to have to answer to someone. If he's fighting that fight at 3-2 or 2-1, I'm not exactly enamored with the trade, but at that point, he's fine.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Millhaus

I agree that it was a poor choice of timing for Alzner to fight Downie at that time. The momentum was already with the Caps and could only go one way, and with as much time was left in the game there was no need to risk that IMO. The fact that the Caps were able to barely hang on for the win doesn't mean it still wasn't a poor decision timing wise. If the score had been 3-0 the other way it would have been a great decision.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:11 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I didn't get to see much of the game but I did catch some PP time towards the end of the game. Man, we are starting to move the puck 100x better on the PP. Very clear improvement under Hunter.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:22 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Agree on the PP looking better, and not just because of the results. That was one of the early measuring sticks, a short term goal I thought would be a fast way to evaluate Dale. I love the quicker passing and what looks like well drawn out plays. Brouwer looks a menace down low.

Early results are that it appears much improved.

Old
01-14-2012, 10:27 AM
bonzaibondra12

Wow, just saw the Brouwer hit on video. At the game, I thought he did board him, and Stamkos was defending his player. No it was St. Louis just being too tiny to try to go into a hit with Brouwer.

How the hell did we not come out with a PP there. That was an awful call. Brouwer gets 4 minutes for a clean hit, and Stamkos dropping his gloves to sucker punch him.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 50
Does anyone have PP numbers since hunter and win ratio? Vs BB.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:29 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

i could watch that hip check all day. tnx 4 posting.

troyerlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:46 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I have to say as much as I rag on these guys for not standing up for each other, there was A LOT of that last night.

Particularly after that orlov hip check the puck was frozen by TV. Downie tried to get to orlov and a big scrum ensued. All four guys got between downie and orlov. I think it was hammer who was the main defender. I wish I could remember the other two or three instances from before. I just remember thinking that and then when the hip-check and scrum occurred, I was so happy on the reaction.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Koized

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Wow, just saw the Brouwer hit on video. At the game, I thought he did board him, and Stamkos was defending his player. No it was St. Louis just being too tiny to try to go into a hit with Brouwer.

How the hell did we not come out with a PP there. That was an awful call. Brouwer gets 4 minutes for a clean hit, and Stamkos dropping his gloves to sucker punch him.
That was one of the worst sequences of reffing I've seen in a long time. Not only did they give Tampa the PP when we should have been getting it, they jumped in and saved Stamkos after he jumped our player and got a few shots in.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Tex, your efforts to make me look foolish are laughable

So you think Downie is an top tier technical fighter? Hockey fights are almost all technical unless you just flail your arms like Mellanby. Or Semin So you should have no problem finding guys out of his weight class he has dropped probably, right? Heck try his weight class, Asham etc. Do you think he is a top rated middle? Have fun proving it. He largely fights on emotion and anger goading players that dont usually fight. A very strong technical fighter would not be challenged by Alzner.

If he is that technical to make suggesting otherwise laughable, why did he not embarrass Alzner, a total noob?
rh, i am not trying to make you look foolish.l i am certainly laughing at the idea that alzner was thinking or should be thinking "he could take" downie. downie does play angry on occasion which is often when he does really stupid things. but he isnt angry when he is trying to goad people into being undisciplined. that is all calculated and tactical. he's playing around with cody eakin. he is going after crosby and ovechkin and in this case alzner who is the caps best defensive defenseman. you think its because he lost his temper? if anyone lost their temper there, it was alzner.

i should ask. is fighting ever a bad decision?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:11 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Alzner, who obviously knows something about taking care of himself and he isn't delicate flower, .
first off i dont care about technical or not technical. downie holds his own and is dirty when he fights, witness him hitting alzner twice after he was down.

also, where do you get the idea that alzner knows something about it? i saw very little sign of that and if i heard correctly his last fight was in 2007 in junior.

btw...the power play does look good. ov on the point. its just the best place for him. hate it or not.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:26 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
first off i dont care about technical or not technical. downie holds his own and is dirty when he fights, witness him hitting alzner twice after he was down.

also, where do you get the idea that alzner knows something about it? i saw very little sign of that and if i heard correctly his last fight was in 2007 in junior.

btw...the power play does look good. ov on the point. its just the best place for him. hate it or not.
When was the last time you were happy watching a caps game?

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:31 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
When was the last time you were happy watching a caps game?
last night.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:37 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
rh, i am not trying to make you look foolish.l i am certainly laughing at the idea that alzner was thinking or should be thinking "he could take" downie. downie does play angry on occasion which is often when he does really stupid things. but he isnt angry when he is trying to goad people into being undisciplined. that is all calculated and tactical. he's playing around with cody eakin. he is going after crosby and ovechkin and in this case alzner who is the caps best defensive defenseman. you think its because he lost his temper? if anyone lost their temper there, it was alzner.

i should ask. is fighting ever a bad decision?
The funny thing is, Alzner would destroy Downie in a non-hockey fight. If he connects with Downie, Downie is out.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:20 PM
WcRoenick97

That hip check was NUTS. It was about 5 rows in front of me. Absolutely amazing. I followed Downie after that and he was immediately looking to stir **** up and then that big scuffle around Vokoun went down. Fun game by the way.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Capathetic

Big win but I still know it needs to get alot better. First the powerplay looked good,but some questions are still there.Were the two goals soft,and is tampa's defense weak sauce? When the caps lose to teams that everyone else handles is when I get most upset with them.

On a positive note...last night I saw it early in the game how they just broke down the trap and had thoughts that this team might really be effective in the playoffs.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Oh ****. Forgot to mentio that. It was so fraking nice to see methodical, 5,6,7 passes and side to side movement of the puck and players to break down the zone. A million times better than ice it and hope it hits the goalie or chimera wins a foot race.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:59 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Our PP passing is much improved.

Orlov may very well turn out to have THE check of the year in the NHL.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Icetime

The Caps are showing positive signs ALL OVER THE ICE.

What might this team look like after another half season of proper coaching?

It's an exciting prospect.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Koized

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Oh ****. Forgot to mentio that. It was so fraking nice to see methodical, 5,6,7 passes and side to side movement of the puck and players to break down the zone. A million times better than ice it and hope it hits the goalie or chimera wins a foot race.
Yes the passing was very good last night. Chimera did almost win a foot race and pot one though!

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
The Caps are showing positive signs ALL OVER THE ICE.

What might this team look like after another half season of proper coaching?

It's an exciting prospect.
Or even players that hunter wants and a 2nd line center and a #1 D?!?!11

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote