HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Milbury disects Habs management/team

Old
01-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Price sure hasn't stolen a game in a long long time. I am starting to believe Price is overrated

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:39 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

On any given night, Price has makes several great saves but lets in some back breakers (NYE against Florida is fresh in my memory). Also as was the case in 2009/10, he is getting no puck luck whatsoever. Case in point, last game against Boston. Put him in with a strong team that can hold leads, that can make up for the occasional brain-fart, and throw in some lucky bounces and Price is Tim Thomas without the theatrics.

This applies to about 10 other NHL goalies too.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Miller Time

if he said, or meant, below average in relation to what we expected from Price... then I might agree.

but if he said, or meant, below average in relation to the league-wide level of goaltending, he's completely out to lunch.

simply put, take any other goaltending tandem in the league, put them in montreal all year, and more than half of them would have been a clear downgrade to what we get from Price (and the odd Budaj game).

Habs went into the season needing Price to be at his absolute best consistently to do well, or in other words we needed Vezina/Hart level goaltending, and he hasn't quite given us that, but he's easily been our best player on several nights, and overall, he's played well enough for us to win... unfortunately the group in front of him hasn't.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
shutehinside

After shaking and cursing out a 10 y.o. child he shouldn't be allowed to be on TV. I'm amazed he wasn't fired and still has a spot on TV.

Over and above that, not only does he have no hockey know how he has no common sense either. Waste of space. He should go back to being what he's better at, a GM

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Gil128

Habs Goaltending

Carey is the reason that the Habs probably won't be in the "Fail for Nail" competition, maybe we can sit him a bit more so we increase our chances of finishing in 28th or so

Gil128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:47 PM
neopreneur

I think Carbonneau said it best: "Without Carey Price, this team would be 35th"

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil128 View Post
Carey is the reason that the Habs probably won't be in the "Fail for Nail" competition, maybe we can sit him a bit more so we increase our chances of finishing in 28th or so
Even without taking tanking into consideration they should play him a lot less. No reason to exhaust him in a wasted season.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:49 PM
thegreatgasby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Bottom line:

He is not the only good goalie in the league... meaning he is replaceable.

Not that I want him gone
i can only see a few goalie i would take in return of price...taking in consideration most goalie hit their prime around 27.

fleury
rinne
lunqvist
quick (borderline)

the rest are either pass 30 or not of is lvl.

now imagine price when hes 27. could easely be the best goalie in the league at the moment.

price is intouchable....and unless you get 1 of they above, you cant replace him.

thegreatgasby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:50 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Price could be better but I think he's tired plus the team in front hasn't helped him. That being said, he plays waaaaaay too much. I don't like the way they've used him this year - you gotta give a goalie a game off here and there.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Habs

Price has been below average on many nights, the same amount of games the rest of the team failed to show up. His glove hand has been a problem. That being said, he is the only reason we have the wins we do.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:51 PM
martinhas2go

Price hasn't been the problem but I do agree he has been average at best. Every team in a playoff position righ now has a goalie thats stoled at least 3 games, just look at how many hot goalies we run into that steal the game. Price hasn't stoled one game so far this season...last year in the playoffs Thomas stole two games for the Bruins against us and they win the series and eventually the cup.

martinhas2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopreneur View Post
I think Carbonneau said it best: "Without Carey Price, this team would be 35th"
While I think Price is a solid goaltender people saying stuff like that need to realize that you should be comparing him to an average starter in the NHL who would be a pretty good goaltender in his own right. The effect of the goaltending position gets massively over-rated in Montreal. Every decent goaltender in the NHL can bail out his team now and again.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:53 PM
martinhas2go

Watch Prices positioning, it's like it was two years ago when he had the bad season.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:54 PM
martinhas2go

For abig man, Price sure looks small in net.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:58 PM
shutehinside

Price has kept us in many a game. Unless he was supernatural there's not much more he could have done. Could he be better, yes. But when you're done 3-0 in the 3rd period and another goes in, big ****ing deal. For the most part, Habs losses are not Price's fault but rather the teams loss of a system and structure.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

Some nights, Price has been very solid. Some other nights, he's not played up to the level we all know he's able to play.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:00 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinhas2go View Post
For abig man, Price sure looks small in net.
I don't agree with that at all.

I do agree with the positioning though. He tends to over commit at times. I would also like him to use his athleticism more than simply squaring up and looking big.

But I am no goalie expert.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
I don't agree with that at all.

I do agree with the positioning though. He tends to over commit at times. I would also like him to use his athleticism more than simply squaring up and looking big.

But I am no goalie expert.
I evaluate his game differently this season:

Positioning: A+ (elite level)
Movement: A+ (elite level)
Puck tracking: B

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:05 PM
thegreatgasby*

price has 7 losts where he allowed 2 goal or less...price could easely be at 21-22 wins this season if he had an above average offence infront of him.

thegreatgasby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

Damnit Price, why don't you shutout the other team every night so we can win 1-0 or 2-0.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Some nights, Price has been very solid. Some other nights, he's not played up to the level we all know he's able to play.
He's had bad games. Every goalie does. Habs fans hold Price up to an insane standard - according to some Price is the only guy on the team who deserves any credit and we'd be the worst team in the history of the NHL without him, to others every time Price could hypothetically save a goal he concedes he's single-handedly costing us games. I know having a terrible offense makes the goalie stand out more, but you can only do that so much.

I don't get why the man can't be judged like a normal goalie. Look at Pekka Rinne; one of the few guys right now I will say is probably better than Price (for now), on a team just as reliant on their goaltending as we are, has been up and down two this season. It happens.

Unless you are Tim Thomas.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
DJ Breadman

How is this guy still on the air? Didn't he hit a kid? The habs goaltending has not be below average, Price has been real solid perhaps not quite as good as some points in the past but he has not been the problem

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Price has been below average on many nights, the same amount of games the rest of the team failed to show up. His glove hand has been a problem. That being said, he is the only reason we have the wins we do.
Glove hand? I really can't remember any series of goals that were caused by his weak glove hand. He's been weak at the 5-hole recently more so than anything.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:12 PM
habsjunkie2*

You've done it Mike, don't say the truth, we get upset about that. Everything's been great, that's why were approaching the lottery

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
You've done it Mike, don't say the truth, we get upset about that. Everything's been great, that's why were approaching the lottery
I don't think anyone is particularily upset. I thinkeveryone is trying to explain that saying he is below average is an exaggeration.

.913SV% and 2.45GAA is not below average, it's pretty much average.

Taking a look at Price's split stats

October .900SV% 2.59GAA
November .929SV% 1.97GAA
December .908SV% 2.89GAA
January(so far) .915SV% 2.26 GAA

All in all, it's not really been a below average season. There have been points where he probably has been(not always attributed to him, somtimes to him), but to say that the whole season has been below average is not accurate.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote