HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schneider Available???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2012, 02:14 PM
  #26
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 1138
As bad as some of those UFA options seem, several are still a few orders above what we've had with Mason.

Leighton & Huet intrigue me. I have no idea how Huet has been doing and he's probably not a good thought, but it seemed the biggest knock on him was his salary...

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:33 PM
  #27
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 13,609
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
So what would be a good goalie to focus in on? Going back to the UFA list I posted earlier, there is not a whole lot out there. Either they are all older, like 34 and above, or career backups. Ray Emery is only 29, and he has proven to be a good goalie in the past. Other than that, not sure if Nabakov day's are past him or not, but he would be the other ok looking one.
Emery is probably the only acceptable UFA option that I could see coming here. I'd like Vokoun or Nabokov but both are probably not looking to come to a Columbus-like situation.

The next GM is likely going to need to make a trade to fix this issue. I don't want to give up Johansen either, but seeing as ****** goaltending has torpedoed this team's chances the last 3 seasons, there's a pretty convincing argument to doing just that.

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:44 PM
  #28
3 goals = chili
Registered User
 
3 goals = chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Word from the fans here said that Vokoun did state he would move to Ohio when he retires. Think Dublin, Ohio, not sure how far apart the two cities are. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rs3 View Post
Dublin is a suburb of Columbus.
Is Tomas looking at Footes old house in Tartan Fields?

3 goals = chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 08:29 PM
  #29
CrazyCanucks
Registered User
 
CrazyCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: India
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Emery is probably the only acceptable UFA option that I could see coming here. I'd like Vokoun or Nabokov but both are probably not looking to come to a Columbus-like situation.

The next GM is likely going to need to make a trade to fix this issue. I don't want to give up Johansen either, but seeing as ****** goaltending has torpedoed this team's chances the last 3 seasons, there's a pretty convincing argument to doing just that.

What is the teams biggest need right now? I would have to believe its in the net. Do you think this needs to be blown up and done like the Oilers, Hawks Pens type of re-build, or a Flames/Leafs type where they are good enough every year, but falter down the strech, hence teh half re-build.

In order to do the blow up and re-build, I would think that Nash would have to be the key guy to go. Keep Johansen, and build around him. If you go with the Nash route, you are telling your fans straight up we are in re-build, and they will have no expectations of trying a half assed job of another failed season...

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 08:39 PM
  #30
punk_o_holic
 
punk_o_holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N. Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Japan
Posts: 6,826
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Do you watch any Canuck games, or just Oil and CBJ? If so, you must have seen him play at some point, and what do you think of his play? Would you say most CBJ fans that say they dont want Schneider because he is unproven dont want to be stuck with another Mason?

How did you become a fan of both those teams and not the Nucks?
Why would Vokun retire to Ohio? Family?
I don't really watch the Canucks play, I might watch bits of a game and the highlights. There has been times where it seemed like the only reason the Canucks were in a game/won the game was because of Schneider. So he can steal games for you and isn't a player that got lucky to be on a stacked team(ripped it up in the AHL as well). He obviously has skills. Only thing is, in Vancouver, he doesn't need to do this every game. If he comes to Columbus, he would need to be on top of his game every night until the team makes some changes. But now that I think about it, if Sanford can do what he's doing right now, I don't know why Schneider wouldn't beable to.

First 2 teams I knew about were Oilers/Bruins(Stanley Cup finals matchup). My Brothers and their friends wanted Bruins to win. I decided to play devils advocate and cheered for the Oilers. Ever since the win and since I became a fan, they went down hill. Back to devils advocate, I decided I would cheer against the home team Nucks. Only way I would cheer for them is if t hey ever got Nash and perhaps, Boll/Markstrom.

Became a Jackets fan because Nash became a fav player. At first, never cheered for the team but a year later, decided I would cheer for the team as well. As years went by, players like Norrena and Boll became fav players with Nash.

No idea why Vokoun would retire in Ohio. I just heard this from the other fans on here when Vokoun was a UFa this Summer.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 09:03 PM
  #31
JacketFanInFL
Registered User
 
JacketFanInFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Can't think of any good reason to trade significant assets for a very unproven goalie that gets to play behind one of the leagues best defenses.
+1

He'd look like any other goalie behind our swiss cheese defense. Until we address the defense, we shouldn't be looking for a savior goalie.

We got rid of Hejda and replaced him with an offensive defenseman who was -18 in 29 games. We need some more shut down defensemen, period.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
  #32
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFanInFL View Post
+1

He'd look like any other goalie behind our swiss cheese defense. Until we address the defense, we shouldn't be looking for a savior goalie.

We got rid of Hejda and replaced him with an offensive defenseman who was -18 in 29 games. We need some more shut down defensemen, period.
To be fair, Wiz was not really a replacement for Hejda. Wiz was an entirely new player. I believe they figured they could get by with their mobile defensemen, or with Martinek and Savard as "shut down" guys. Not saying it was smart, of course, but I don't think of them as direct comparables.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:07 AM
  #33
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Emery is probably the only acceptable UFA option that I could see coming here. I'd like Vokoun or Nabokov but both are probably not looking to come to a Columbus-like situation.

The next GM is likely going to need to make a trade to fix this issue. I don't want to give up Johansen either, but seeing as ****** goaltending has torpedoed this team's chances the last 3 seasons, there's a pretty convincing argument to doing just that.
Good points Sam.

Given our paltry returns from previous drafts, we're pretty slim on "future stars", but the future won't get better without a better goalie. This and Howson's going to have to do a big trade to save his job, let alone save the team.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:26 AM
  #34
Christina Woloski
Registered Something
 
Christina Woloski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Narnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I would not want to trade a high-end center prospect for an unproven goalie (or maybe even a proven one!).

You're right. Trading a high-end center prospect for a high-end goalie prospect makes NO sense.


Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:14 AM
  #35
GScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
You're right. Trading a high-end center prospect for a high-end goalie prospect makes NO sense.

Sorry but a top center trumps a good goalie everytime.

How long has Columbus been trying to develop/sign/ trade for one? They are scarce and teams hold onto them. As many have said previously, shore up the defense with capable NHL players playing where they should be and the CBJ won't need an elite goalie. Seriously...how many NHL teams have a goalie who is considered elite? How many games did Detroit win with Osgood, Legace, Howard? Quite a few and it wasn't because they were elite goal tenders, it was because they play sound defense.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:39 AM
  #36
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 13,609
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
What is the teams biggest need right now? I would have to believe its in the net. Do you think this needs to be blown up and done like the Oilers, Hawks Pens type of re-build, or a Flames/Leafs type where they are good enough every year, but falter down the strech, hence teh half re-build.

In order to do the blow up and re-build, I would think that Nash would have to be the key guy to go. Keep Johansen, and build around him. If you go with the Nash route, you are telling your fans straight up we are in re-build, and they will have no expectations of trying a half assed job of another failed season...
Just because the team absolutely blows doesn't mean that there aren't some good pieces here. The next GM shouldn't blow it up for the sake of blowing it up. I'd hope that the previous GM would take into account that Arniel was a pretty big part of the problem here. How big remains to be seen in the coming weeks.

The more I see Sanford play, the more I'm warming up the the idea of a lower-tier #1/Sanford tandem as sort of a 1a and 1b. Which is the most likely/feasible option.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
  #37
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,662
vCash: 500
From what Rims was saying on the hockey show this morning on 97.1, there are rumors that Luongo may be shipped back to Florida. I did not catch who would be dealt to Vancouver in return, but Rims made it sound like Luongo would like to return to south Florida because it is still he and his families permanent home.

Looks like Schneider is his heir apparent in Nucks land, rendering this thread moot.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:47 PM
  #38
punk_o_holic
 
punk_o_holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N. Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Japan
Posts: 6,826
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
From what Rims was saying on the hockey show this morning on 97.1, there are rumors that Luongo may be shipped back to Florida. I did not catch who would be dealt to Vancouver in return, but Rims made it sound like Luongo would like to return to south Florida because it is still he and his families permanent home.

Looks like Schneider is his heir apparent in Nucks land, rendering this thread moot.
I don't believe this. They have Theodore for the this year and next year and have up and comer, Jacob Markstrom. They're developing Markstrom to become their next number 1 goalie. The Panthers will be in the exact same position as Vancouver when Markstrom makes a permanent jump to the NHL.

I wonder if Tampa would be interested? They need a goalie but not sure if they would be willing to take on that big/long contract. Not sure how their cap is looking like.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
  #39
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan1 View Post
I saw this on the Trade Thread boards...




My question becomes... I believe he is a RFA at the end of the season. If the Canucks are thinking of moving him for some more fire power going into the playoffs, is there a chance the CBJ could make an offer at him to try and resign him as our #1 moving forward??? Do people still feel he can be a legitimate #1 goaltender???

I was curious how other CBJ fans felt about this as I did not see many CBJ responses in that thread... but here's an idea...

What kind of offer would the CBJ throw at them???
I think it would be great if the Jackets could pick him up but Im sure theres other teams out there who would be interested in him and could offer more than the Jackets could.
Also, the Jackets have plenty of goalies already. We already have 2 in Columbus and Dekanich in Springfield. IMO, the Jackets need to figure out what they are going to do with the goalies they already have (if they are going to trade Sanford and who really is the #1 goalie). Mason was great in his first year but he has been less than stellar since then and IMO having a #1 that we can trust would be a big step forward in improving this team.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
  #40
CrazyCanucks
Registered User
 
CrazyCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: India
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
From what Rims was saying on the hockey show this morning on 97.1, there are rumors that Luongo may be shipped back to Florida. I did not catch who would be dealt to Vancouver in return, but Rims made it sound like Luongo would like to return to south Florida because it is still he and his families permanent home.

Looks like Schneider is his heir apparent in Nucks land, rendering this thread moot.
I believe Luongo has a NTC that goes until at least 2014-2015 (The year after the Sedins contract expires)

No rumours about Lou going back to Florida from Vancouver. There have been zero grumblings about that, not sure where Rims gets his info from, maybe Eklund? Unless something bad happens between now and July 1st, he is here to stay and Schnider gets traded after the playoffs.

The cycle in Vancouver is this. Lou has a slow Oct, gears it up between Nov-Jan, Feb is kind of a lull and ramps it up in March. April is usually good, and then meltdown in May. Last yerar it was June, but that is his cycle in teh 6 years he has been here.

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:39 PM
  #41
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
I believe Luongo has a NTC that goes until at least 2014-2015 (The year after the Sedins contract expires)

No rumours about Lou going back to Florida from Vancouver. There have been zero grumblings about that, not sure where Rims gets his info from, maybe Eklund? Unless something bad happens between now and July 1st, he is here to stay and Schnider gets traded after the playoffs.

The cycle in Vancouver is this. Lou has a slow Oct, gears it up between Nov-Jan, Feb is kind of a lull and ramps it up in March. April is usually good, and then meltdown in May. Last yerar it was June, but that is his cycle in teh 6 years he has been here.
There's hockey in May and June?!?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:06 PM
  #42
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
How is unproven? Just wondering from a another teams perspective. Some people in Vancouver see him differently and is actually a better option than the current #1 guy. It would be interesting to see from an outside perspective what makes him unproven
Personally I think he stays until the off season.

Would he be any worse than the current guy you have? Also, wouldnt it be better to get a goalie who has played on a winner and knows what it takes to be a winner, and already has that work ethic?

How do you upgrade your current G situation if you dont want to trade for an unproven or a proven goalie?
He's a 26-year-old goalie who has not entrenched himself as the starter. Yes, he's better than Mason. Yes, he's behind a perennial All-Star. Yes, other teams are drooling to get him.

However, some of us remember Mike Dunham, who was in exactly the same situation in New Jersey. When Brodeur faltered and Dunham looked good, plenty of people wanted Brodeur moved. New Jersey basically cheated so as not to lose him for nothing. Some of us remember Damian Rhodes with Ottawa, who was similarly coveted. Neither of them became All-Stars or even established starters.

The market for an unestablished goalie, frankly, is all over the place. There may be someone willing to bid against themselves and throw a bunch of stuff at Vancouver. But I don't see many teams willing to do it, especially because no one's likely to make a serious move before the deadline to get him.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.