HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Should The Habs Do How Can They Get Better?

Old
01-14-2012, 01:30 PM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathfilms View Post
your the GM what would you do? who would you trade? who would you sign?

I know everyone wants Pierre gone; who would you pick to take his job? who should be Montreal coach next year?
Pierre MacGuire hands down , if given full control and not a puppet to Jeff Molson

he knows the game, has the contacts , and wont bandaid , I think he knows its blowup time

as for deals , you know me its gut time

Pleks, Moen, Gill, Kosty

Pleks would fetch a decent return , not sure if I want our retard pulling the stings though

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Habs13

This season is a wash, and as much as i don't believe in tanking ; we are in a good spot right now to trade away our vets for youngsters and start installing a new philosopy straight away. Lets the kids learn and gain experiance and gear them up for next season. We will loose games and end up with a good draft pick or two as a result, that further helps our future and rebuild.

You can not have a team made of tiny players, and I have been saying that for years while board members here laughed at me ; and now even Gauthier gets what I have been saying all this time. IF you're going to play guys like David Desharnais, you must surround him with big guys that will shelter him against abuse from all the other teams with big bruisers that go crashing and banging on these skilled midgets. This is hockey and is still a contact sport. You are going to get hit.

So, with that said, with Cammalleri out and Bourque in, I would continue that trend. Our wingers are finally looking like an NHL calibur team, but our defence and our centers are awful. Eller has the size and skill, so he would be in my long term plans but Gomez, Desharnais and Plekanec represent our biggest problem and one the team hasn't addressed in over a decade. Size down the middle is important! Gomez, for me, is a throw-away - get what you can and if nothing comes up, waive him. Next, choose between Plekanec and Desharnais - together, they are twoo small for a serious top six. I would pick Desharnais because he makes less, has less trade value and plays well with Cole and Pacioretty.

Our defence is shameful and this is where I'd like to clean house the most. I would keep Subban, as cocky and immature as he is, because he's a talented son of a gun with a lot of untapped potential. Gorges would be my captain as I intend to remove Gionta from my team and Emelin is my kind of guy and I would keep him, sign him to a long term deal. Gill, Diaz, Weber, Kaberle and especially Campolli would all be gone. Markov... well, can't do anything with him so I would wait to see if he ever returns or if he retires. I wwouldn't even count on him as a player so I build as if he isn't part of the team and if he returns to form, he becomes a bonus.

So, I would re-sign Emelin, Moen, Kostitsyn and Blunden ; say what you will but he has been playing better and better since Martin was bounced out of town. He also has edge, skates well and even gets the odd scoring chance. Hits like a trunk and generally creates havoc for other teams. I'll keep him on my 4th line.

I offer Plekanec to the 29 other GM's around the league for a big, offensive center and use Weber, Diaz, Gill, Nokelainen, Darche, Campoli and some of our AHLers (Enqvist, Palushaj, St.Denis) as throw-ins. Once that gets done, I'd move the rest of the players on my "bye bye" list for picks or prospects and go from there, filling any holes with AHLer's I feel should get a closer look - guys like Leblanc, Henry, Conboy, Schultz - maybe Avstin.

I need a top line center and right wing, and two or three defenceman. Size and grit are a must. Worst case, I use guys like Henry and other low-value guys via waiver or trades with one year deals and shop during the off-season.

Bourque - _________ - __________
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn
Conboy* - White - Blunden

Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Henry*
Callahan* - ______

Price
Budaj

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:50 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
Pierre MacGuire hands down , if given full control and not a puppet to Jeff Molson

he knows the game, has the contacts , and wont bandaid , I think he knows its blowup time

as for deals , you know me its gut time

Pleks, Moen, Gill, Kosty

Pleks would fetch a decent return , not sure if I want our retard pulling the stings though
Mcguire? Oh wow, not a chance...other GM's would want to deal with him about as much as they want to deal with Burkie....

Mcguire is just blowhard know it all for TV...there is a reason he hasn't had an NHL job in the last 15-20 yrs...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Mcguire? Oh wow, not a chance...other GM's would want to deal with him about as much as they want to deal with Burkie....

Mcguire is just blowhard know it all for TV...there is a reason he hasn't had an NHL job in the last 15-20 yrs...
And yet outside of the Kessel trade, Burke has won practically every trade he's made. Maybe that's why they don't want to trade with him.

I love this ridiculous notion GMs would think less of McGuire because he has been a TV personality for a while, especially when there is no actual basis for it.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
I would trade DD, too small and his value may never be any higher.
The way things are going we should finish in bottom five - draft Grigorenko
Get the rights to Radulov.

Patches Grigorenko Cole
Bourque Pleks Radulov
Kostitsyn Eller Gionta
Blunden White Moen

Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Diaz/Weber Kaberle

Price
almost like a dream team, make it happen pg

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Stephaaane

Find a way to get Brassard and Cormier and do whatever you want with Gomez and Kaberle. Then, you got an awesome Top 9 . It's fun to dream + exchange, has the center piece of a trade, Pleks vs Stastny

Bourque-Eller-Kostitsyn
Brassard-Stastny-Cole
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gionta
White-Cormier-Moen
Blunden

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Diaz-Boychuk/Sarich type (both UFA at the end of the year)
Weber

Price
Budaj

Last edited by Stephaaane: 01-14-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Stephaaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:05 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
And yet outside of the Kessel trade, Burke has won practically every trade he's made. Maybe that's why they don't want to trade with him.

I love this ridiculous notion GMs would think less of McGuire because he has been a TV personality for a while, especially when there is no actual basis for it.
Burke didnt win trades , he won GAMBLES

Dion played like crap for 3 years and took on his salary in return

Lupul bounced on other teams , and had a serous back injury with a bad contract

he had the cash to absorb the risks

sorry these were crap shoot deals

its like us if Gomez scored 70 points the last few seasons

we would all be clapping how great we did

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:33 AM
heathfilms*

Quote:

Patches Grigorenko Cole
Bourque Pleks Radulov
Kostitsyn Eller Gionta
Blunden White Moen

Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Diaz/Weber Kaberle

Price
that is a good forward line up but the defense still needs to add touchiness the top 4 is good but our 5/6 needs to be a checking/ tough pair IMO I would try to get ryan sutter and have him with markov and then Emelin with mark stuart I would trade diaz and weber to get him

Markov Sutter
Subban Gorges
Stuart Emelin

and then we need to trade gionta he is making 5 mil on the 3rd line we need to trade him and get a fast power forward that can score 25-30 goals maybe chris kelly I think we can sign and then trade Gionta for a 1st rounder

this is my final line up

Bourque Grigorenko Cole
Patches Pleks Radulov
Kostitsyn Kelly Eller
Blunden White Moen

Markov Sutter
Subban Gorges
Stuart Emelin

Price

this is a playoff if not a cup contender

heathfilms* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:11 AM
psychonaut

Looking at next year UFA I would definitely offer Kost 4mil 4 years.

Moen love him but you have too trade him UFA having a great year and you can find a other grinder. Take the 2nd or 3rd.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:38 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:

Patches Grigorenko Cole
Bourque Pleks Radulov
Kostitsyn Eller Gionta
Blunden White Moen

Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Diaz/Weber Kaberle

Price
I could see Nashville trading the rights to Montreal,Radulov was like a god in Quebec and if the Habs get Grigorenko,which is very possible.The team would be solid throughout the lineup when Tinordi & the rest of our defence prospects get there.Gauthier has a plan and this could very well be part of the grand design.I certainly see the Habs being a great team if Gauthier is there to complete the task.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I still hope A.K. and Moen wll fill your XXXX in your line up
I don't. With Bourque in the lineup, I see AK as expendable. Not that I don't like him, I just think that ideally, they both fit best in the 2nd/3rd line role. Both are inconsistent, but AK is a much more attractive trade deadline asset with his expiring contract. I don't suggest giving him away, but he should be shopped heavily. As for Moen, its more of a sell high attitude. He's having a career year, he'll likely be looking for a raise and I'm not convinced he can maintain this level of play through a new contract. I'm also not sure he'd want to stick around on a team that may need to do a mini rebuild. He'll generate a ton of attention at the deadline as a playoff performer and a vet with a cup ring. He's not exactly the type of player that's hard to replace and it'll likely be more useful to the team to get a pick or prospect for him seeing as it'll be a bit till we can really compete.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:32 AM
AntonCH

Quote:

Patches Grigorenko Cole
Bourque Pleks Radulov
Kostitsyn Eller Gionta
Blunden White Moen

Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Diaz/Weber Kaberle

Price
This doesn't look all that bad, more for what we're keeping than what we're getting.
Can we get Grigorenko or the rights to Radulov? 1 of 2 maybe but i don't think both.
The rest of it looks good, with Bourque, Kostitsyn, Pacioretty and Cole in the line-up you can afford to put 2 of the 4 on the same line.
I also think that Eller/Gionta/Kostitsyn could be a world-beater.
If you don't get the rights to Radulov you move Gionta up to his slot and Moen up to Gionta's. Then you go get a heavyweight (yes I did say heavyweight) that can play 5-7 mins a night
Keep Darche as your 13th forward- cheap and a consummate professional.
And for the DD fanboys - keeping Plekanec over DD is the right thing to do.

On D
If at all possible - get rid of Kaberle and bring in someone that compares to Gill but with a mean streak in him - Gill is a world-class hugger and thats served him well. I want to see a 5-6 dman that can deliver bone jarring hits.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
How would you do this?
First I would see wich player is available right now or could be soon. I'll start showing interest and then you negociate and see what you can do.

When you really want a player you can trade for him. See Kessel and Phaneuf for Leafs. Burke really wanted them and didn't fail at this. Sure in case of Kessel he paid a lot, but he got what he needed. He's a top player in the league and he's 5th in scoring. Now they build around him.

We will have to overpay, this is mostly certain. But having that player would worth overpay for sure.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I haven't checked the stats, but our chances of making the playoffs at this point must be below 1%. I really doubt we'll make it. Also, our calendar for the rest of the season is much harder than it was earlier on. All we can hope for at this point is a very low seed and winning the lottery. That's probably more realistic than aiming for 8th.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Belso

1.Fire Gauthier.
2.Hire McGuire.
3.Ship out Kaberle, Campoli, Weber, Gomez, Gill and Nokelainen for pics and/or prospects.
4.Fire Timmins
5.McGuire replaces Timmins with who ever contact he finds suits their needs.
6.Concentrate on drafting bigger talented players.
7.Concentrate on drafting bigger talented players.
8.Concentrate on drafting bigger talented players.
9.Concentrate on drafting bigger talented players.
10.When summer comes find the best available head coach and if he doesn't speak french, pay him ****ing french lessons already.
11.Go with a youth movement (A la Oilers and Chicago) and grow into a cup winning team.

My two cents...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Patty Roy

There is no reason why this team cannot be significantly better next season.

Step 1: Abandon all hope for this season. It's not going to happen. Start deciding who you want to move forward with and who you want to cut loose. Do your best to ensure a top 5 draft pick.

Step 2: Trade Gill and Campoli for the best picks possible. Make a decision on Moen & Kostitsyn...i'm partial to bringing both back if they are willing to re-sign for similar money. Shop Weber and move him if you can get anything interesting for him.

Step 3: Fire Gauthier the day after the season ends. Not sure who the best candidate is out there but i want someone who is going to bring a different approach and who has a clear plan in place for making this team a top contender.

Step 4: Bring in the right coach. No offense to Cunneyworth, but i dont think he's the longterm solution.

Step 5: Gomez to the minors, free up some serious cap space before July 1st.

Step 6: Free Agency...look to get bigger and more aggressive. I'd target one of Tim Gleason or Barrett Jackman on D and guys like Gaustad and one of Shane Doan or Tuomo Ruutu up front and John Scott for muscle.

Max Pacioretty-David Desharnais-Erik Cole
Rene Bourque-Tomas Plekanec-Tuomo Ruutu/Shane Doan
Louis Leblanc-Lars Eller-Brian Gionta
Travis Moen-Paul Gaustad-Ryan White
John Scott

Andrei Markov-Alexei Emelin
Josh Gorges-PK Subban
Tomas Kaberle-Barrett Jackman/Tim Gleason
Raphael Diaz

Carey Price
Peter Budaj

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:16 AM
impudent_lowlife

The Montreal Canadiens need to hire Gabriel Desjardins as a consultant.

http://gabrieldesjardins.com/

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:25 AM
neofury*

LOL @ Bourque making AK expendable. I disagree. If anything adding Bourque just shows the direction we're going means we should keep a player like AK.

I'm not saying if the deadline return is good don't trade him, but even having done that I would try to re-sign him July 1st. AK brings a lot more to this team than people realize.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:26 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
1.Fire Gauthier.
2.Hire McGuire.
3.Ship out Kaberle, Campoli, Weber, Gomez, Gill and Nokelainen for pics and/or prospects.
4.Fire Timmins

10.When summer comes find the best available head coach and if he doesn't speak french, pay him ****ing french lessons already.
11.Go with a youth movement (A la Oilers and Chicago) and grow into a cup winning team.

My two cents...
Darkest day in habs history if that happens. Book it.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:29 AM
sampollock

get a forward centre the team can build around, enough of this band aid fixes

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
1.Fire Gauthier.
2.Hire McGuire.
4.Fire Timmins

My two cents...
2. No thanks. There's a reason why no team has hired him even though he applied (supposedly) for every job.

3. Easier said than done.

4. Hell no.

6 - 7 - 8 - 9. Been there, done that. Don't draft by size, huge mistake. Draft BPA.
http://thereuschblog.com/?p=9128

10. Agreed. Best coach available is the way to go.

Old
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

On the rumor that Price's agent wants 10 years at 7 M...

...We're entering Charles Wang territory. If there's any glitch in the next decade, the Habs put themselves in a real bad spot.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
On the rumor that Price's agent wants 10 years at 7 M...

...We're entering Charles Wang territory. If there's any glitch in the next decade, the Habs put themselves in a real bad spot.
Not even close. I hate the idea of handing out a 10 year contract, but it's almost common practice nowadays.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=683

I'd MUCH rather have a 24 years old Price for 10 years, than a 30 years old Luongo for 12 years. Same with Bryzgalov.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL @ Bourque making AK expendable. I disagree. If anything adding Bourque just shows the direction we're going means we should keep a player like AK.

I'm not saying if the deadline return is good don't trade him, but even having done that I would try to re-sign him July 1st. AK brings a lot more to this team than people realize.
I realize what he brings to this team, I just don't think he is suited for anything more than a secondary scoring role. Same with Bourque. We need some primary scoring wingers and we don't really have those. Its basically analyzing where you want to spend your money on the roster. I prefer a balanced attack, but paying close to 8 million dollars for a third line (Bourque - Eller - Kostitsyn) doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm not against getting bigger, I just believe you need a balanced attack, combining speed, size and skill. For all the talk about how physical they are, Boston's top-6 is littered with skill players that don't bring much size or physical play. I think we'd be better served using that money to target a Parise or somebody similar. Kostitsyn brings a lot to this team, I just don't see him as a final piece of the puzzle, and there isn't much point in offering him a long term deal (which he will most likely be seeking) If he isn't a core piece.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

All you had to do is watch AK against Senators and look at him lose every one on one battle to know that was one of his "I am taking a night off" games.

You don't win playoff games with guys like Andre Kostitsyn.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote