HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gauthier's True Test

Old
01-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Gauthier will not be able to sell any GM the belief that Gomez could be of worth to their team. Players of value that could be seen gone are the likes of Plekanec and Subban. Gionta would have been on that list had he not be on the injury list. Then you have the guys that are free agents after this year and could be of use like Gill, Moen and AK.

In other words, if you want a rebuild, blow it up near and on the trade deadline and acquire picks and prospects and even a player or two that fits into the long-term plan. If Gauthier wants to continue his band-aid trend, which is what I have no doubt he will do, we'll likely see Gill and Moen head out for a 2nd/3rd each.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:48 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hirty6ix View Post
Gauthier's true test is when he'll have the balls to step down.
Yes it takes a real man to run away, ask gainey.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Not entirely the same thing.

Gainey promised a 5 year plan, changed the model of the team, saw the team make the Eastern Conference finals. In the end, the plan failed and he stepped down.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:52 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
All things considered, Gainey lost his daughter while on the job and later stepped down out of respect for the franchise and their future considerations - he wasn't forced down or anything - and two/three months after he stepped down the team went on their longest post-season run since '93.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
All things considered, Gainey lost his daughter while on the job and later stepped down out of respect for the franchise and their future considerations - he wasn't forced down or anything - and two/three months after he stepped down the team went on their longest post-season run since '93.
No he had no plan and screwed around for years making sideways moves and mismanaging assest. The heat was coming down so he dumped everyone and grabbed every UFA he could, handing out "Sather-esque" contracts he knew he would never have to answer for because he was bailing. Halaks miracle run had nothing to do with his idiotic moves. If losing his daughter effected his running of the team he should have stepped down immediatly, I have heard every ******** excuse for gainey 100X over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Not entirely the same thing.

Gainey promised a 5 year plan, changed the model of the team, saw the team make the Eastern Conference finals. In the end, the plan failed and he stepped down.
AFTER he signed a pile of garbage that PG now has to deal with. He saw that the new team he "created" was a mess of mercenaries and heartless players and bailed out. He didn't want to get fired so he ran away. There is zero honor in his actions, embarrassment.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
No he had no plan and screwed around for years making sideways moves and mismanaging assest. The heat was coming down so he dumped everyone and grabbed every UFA he could, handing out "Sather-esque" contracts he knew he would never have to answer for because he was bailing. Halaks miracle run had nothing to do with his idiotic moves. If losing his daughter effected his running of the team he should have stepped down immediatly, I have heard every ******** excuse for gainey 100X over.

AFTER he signed a pile of garbage that PG now has to deal with. He saw that the new team he "created" was a mess of mercenaries and heartless players and bailed out. He didn't want to get fired so he ran away. There is zero honor in his actions, embarrassment.
Not that I much liked Gainey's run (method of firing Carbo, bad trades, bad contracts) but I do give him credit for believing in a plan and sticking with it. He put all his chips on Price, that turned out nicely. He rebuilt the core of the team that took the Habs to the conference finals two years ago. Like I said, he had a five year plan and when it didn't work out, he stepped down. I don't think that's a coward thing to do, I think it was the right thing to do. He was a man about it. He admitted that his plan failed and that he should not run the team any longer.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:09 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
So on the one hand a lot of people are saying Gomez with a $7 million contract is untradeable so forget about trying and on the other hand, we should have looked around and got a better deal for Cammalleri who had a $6 million contract.
a: compare both players production on the habs since they were acquired.
b: 29 other GM's in the league knows that the habs are in disarray, morale is low, players are frustrated with lack of support and direction, and probably regret signing here in the first place. ( my own opinion, don't start asking for links or quotes ).
c: cammy is but one of those disgruntled players, and still has value out there. 1 bad half season does not make a player washed up and untradable. Now if you want to see washed up, look up this guy named gomez.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:21 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
a: compare both players production on the habs since they were acquired.
b: 29 other GM's in the league knows that the habs are in disarray, morale is low, players are frustrated with lack of support and direction, and probably regret signing here in the first place. ( my own opinion, don't start asking for links or quotes ).
c: cammy is but one of those disgruntled players, and still has value out there. 1 bad half season does not make a player washed up and untradable. Now if you want to see washed up, look up this guy named gomez.

I'll agree that Gomez is washed up but he is still better than a handful of players in the league. If he could help a team squeak into the playoffs, the $1.8 million would seem like a bargain.

Cammy isn't washed up, he's just wildly inconsistent and he was tradeable.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:26 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Not that I much liked Gainey's run (method of firing Carbo, bad trades, bad contracts) but I do give him credit for believing in a plan and sticking with it. He put all his chips on Price, that turned out nicely. He rebuilt the core of the team that took the Habs to the conference finals two years ago. Like I said, he had a five year plan and when it didn't work out, he stepped down. I don't think that's a coward thing to do, I think it was the right thing to do. He was a man about it. He admitted that his plan failed and that he should not run the team any longer.
He should have stepped down before letting all those UFAs walk for nothing. He had zero intention of signing them and just let all those assets leave for free.

He should have stepped down before signing a pile of garbage and handcuffing the org for years.

He should have stepped down when it was obvious he was clueless about running a team and dealing with contract negotiations.

In the end his "5 year plan" will cost us 10 years easy and he had the balls to run away right before he got canned, he didn't even have the honor to face the music for his last act of incompetance.

Old
01-14-2012, 03:57 PM
ReneBourque27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hirty6ix View Post
Gauthier's true test is when he'll have the balls to step down.
LOL, that was such a good 1 liner! AGREE

ReneBourque27* is offline   Reply With Quote