HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Claim LW Colton Gillies Off Waivers

Old
01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Replacement for Dane Byers?

His scouting MO/potential is what I'd love to see in a Jackets 4th or even 3rd liner. But his reality/production - especially his reputed lack of hockey sense - is not.

Old
01-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Makes perfect sense.

Gillies is a complete bust as a first rounder. Yet another example of how the draft is no panacea. If it weren't for his drafting position, he'd be a middle tier AHLer probably looking for work in Europe next season.

His value to the Jackets lies completely under the surface. Perhaps Richards knows something no one else knows. I doubt it.
It's weird that Minny has drafted several guys like this, and yet not a peep is uttered about their "awful development" and "terrible draft record".

Is AJ Thelen even in hockey any more?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:36 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It's weird that Minny has drafted several guys like this, and yet not a peep is uttered about their "awful development" and "terrible draft record".

Canada respects Minnesota too much to point those types of things out...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

Minny fans are on this subject in their version of the Gillies thread. Sadness abounds. (Not from me...)

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

No, AJ Thelen isn't in hockey anymore. Perhaps Minnesota gets overlooked because of guys like Mikko Koivu and Brent Burns? Or because they have at least remained competitive, every single year.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:

I'm from Cincinnati and go to almost every Cyclone game. I had NO idea Thelen was a 1st round pick or else some serious taunting would have been in order last season

I looked over the Wild's first round picks from 2004-09 and it's a pretty ugly picture.

2004 Thelen D (12th)......10 AHL games; remainder in ECHL......perhaps retired-no stats on hockeydb.com for this season

2005 Pouloit LW (4).......87 points/218 games....3rd team (MN/MTL/BOS)

2006 James Sheppard C (9)......49 points/224 games....missed last year...no stats this year with San Jose

2007 Gillies LW (16)....10 points/89 games

2008 Tyler Cuma D (23)....68 AHL games...no NHL games

2009 Nick Leddy D (16).....27 points/90 games....all with the Chicago Blackhawks......was traded for Cam Barker who spend one season with the Wild.

In six years, 4 outright busts, one extremely marginal player (Pouloit) and one guy who might be decent (Leddy) but plays for ANOTHER team.

The scouting "brain trust" of the Wild is scary bad. Don't give Priest their phone numbers.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 07:04 PM
David71

does this mean dorsett/boll are avaliable?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I'm from Cincinnati and go to almost every Cyclone game. I had NO idea Thelen was a 1st round pick or else some serious taunting would have been in order last season

I looked over the Wild's first round picks from 2004-09 and it's a pretty ugly picture.

2004 Thelen D (12th)......10 AHL games; remainder in ECHL......perhaps retired-no stats on hockeydb.com for this season

2005 Pouloit LW (4).......87 points/218 games....3rd team (MN/MTL/BOS)

2006 James Sheppard C (9)......49 points/224 games....missed last year...no stats this year with San Jose

2007 Gillies LW (16)....10 points/89 games

2008 Tyler Cuma D (23)....68 AHL games...no NHL games

2009 Nick Leddy D (16).....27 points/90 games....all with the Chicago Blackhawks......was traded for Cam Barker who spend one season with the Wild.

In six years, 4 outright busts, one extremely marginal player (Pouloit) and one guy who might be decent (Leddy) but plays for ANOTHER team.

The scouting "brain trust" of the Wild is scary bad. Don't give Priest their phone numbers.
I won't lie...there was a Texas Wildcatters (ECHL) authentic jersey on eBay a few days ago. I actually thought about buying it, having it customized with Thelen's #10, then snapping a few pics of it and uploading them.

Then, if ever a Minnesota fan wanted to jab at us, those pics would come out. It would be the most expensive trolling I've ever done, but ultimately I decided against it.

(Cool looking jerseys though).

Back on topic though, it's interesting to note the difference between the two teams. Although Minny had the home runs with Gaborik, Burns, and Koivu (compared to just Nash here), they've had a few busts who were substantially worse than even the worst busts here.

Old
01-14-2012, 10:49 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
He is NOW.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Dooooood. Can you see into the future?

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:42 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
I won't lie...there was a Texas Wildcatters (ECHL) authentic jersey on eBay a few days ago. I actually thought about buying it, having it customized with Thelen's #10, then snapping a few pics of it and uploading them.

Then, if ever a Minnesota fan wanted to jab at us, those pics would come out. It would be the most expensive trolling I've ever done, but ultimately I decided against it.

(Cool looking jerseys though).

Back on topic though, it's interesting to note the difference between the two teams. Although Minny had the home runs with Gaborik, Burns, and Koivu (compared to just Nash here), they've had a few busts who were substantially worse than even the worst busts here.
Risebrough was an awful gm. Now with Chuck Fletcher we have improved our drafting/prospects x1000

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Dampland
Heavily Moderated

vCash: 50
Quote:

Trust me, MInnesota Wild fans are WELL AWARE of how horrible the drafting was in the middle of the decade. That is why we drove Doug Risebrough out of town. The guy destroyed the Wild's future talent pool, made horrible draft picks, and let quality FA's walk away for free.

The only real failure from the current GM, is the Nick Leddy trade, and if you look at Cam Barker's stats the year before he came to Minnesota, you will agree he looked like a guy who was worth trading for. Of course now we know that playing with Seabrook, Keith, Towes, Kane, Sharp & Hossa will make anybody look great.

But the main reason I came to this thread, was to wish Colton Gilles good luck. He is a great person, who just needs a fresh setting. I think he can be a useable 4th line banger & penalty killer. But don't expect goals or fights from him.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Trust me, MInnesota Wild fans are WELL AWARE of how horrible the drafting was in the middle of the decade. That is why we drove Doug Risebrough out of town. The guy destroyed the Wild's future talent pool, made horrible draft picks, and let quality FA's walk away for free.

The only real failure from the current GM, is the Nick Leddy trade, and if you look at Cam Barker's stats the year before he came to Minnesota, you will agree he looked like a guy who was worth trading for. Of course now we know that playing with Seabrook, Keith, Towes, Kane, Sharp & Hossa will make anybody look great.

But the main reason I came to this thread, was to wish Colton Gilles good luck. He is a great person, who just needs a fresh setting. I think he can be a useable 4th line banger & penalty killer. But don't expect goals or fights from him.
Here is my big problem with this or any other pick-up like this. When it comes to scoring, our third and fourth lines are woeful. We have no acceptable level of secondary scoring from our bottom six. Sure, Dorsett has picked his game up a notch, but as a whole, our bottom six cannot be counted on for any real secondary scoring.

I grow weary of Howson taking flyer's on guys that had "potential" and maybe just need a fresh start to reignite their careers. We have a slew of them that are good third and fourth line grinders, and checkers, but have no scoring touch what-so-ever. That makes Gillies just another redundant piece here.

Now if the guy can be a third line grinder that can consistently contribute 10-15 goals a season, then I am all in on this. Otherwise, what is the point? The only benefit is that he is cheap, and cost us no assets to get.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Now if the guy can be a third line grinder that can consistently contribute 10-15 goals a season, then I am all in on this. Otherwise, what is the point? The only benefit is that he is cheap, and cost us no assets to get.
I think you hit it, Doc, it's a Howson Special: low risk, possible high return. Little cost or risk to bring in a big, young, fast, former first rounder. Maybe he'll figure it out.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Looking at him, I think "Jason Chimera 2.0, only a decade younger". Big, fast, hardworking... no hands whatsoever, does not comprehend the game of hockey.

Not that this is a bad thing per se. A high speed forechecker is a nice thing to have.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Another guy with potential!! How many of those have we had? How many are busts? We don't need other teams busts! Right now we have the biggest bust in the NHL! He's our GM! The top priority this team should have right now is canning his ass!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Another guy with potential!! How many of those have we had? How many are busts? We don't need other teams busts! Right now we have the biggest bust in the NHL! He's our GM! The top priority this team should have right now is canning his ass!
Thank you for sharing.

Old
01-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Thank you for sharing a rant that looks like it came off the team's Facebook page, usually in response to something like "Do you have a question for Nikita Nikitin?"
Fixed.

Old
01-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

You're both welcome!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Fixed.
Now, now, be fair. We get to see that kind of mishegaas in all sorts of Jackets fan comment areas, not just Facebook.

Seriously, though, this whole "froth and rant and hate about any move simply because it has the gall to NOT be the one move you want already, independent of whether or not it's a good idea in and of itself" act gets really old really quickly.
"We just traded a 7th round pick for Ryan Suter." "But Howson's still the GM. THIS ORGANIZATION IS A FAILURE! FIRE EVERYBODY!"

Old
01-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 200
It's not like this guy is taking the roster spot of a healthy Huselius, Carter, etc. He's replacing a grinder, one that we know isn't a part of the solution. The Letestu pick up worked out well, I'm betting this guy is more of a player than Cody Bass, Ryan Russell or Dane Byers.

Columbus Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
It's not like this guy is taking the roster spot of a healthy Huselius, Carter, etc. He's replacing a grinder, one that we know isn't a part of the solution. The Letestu pick up worked out well, I'm betting this guy is more of a player than Cody Bass, Ryan Russell or Dane Byers.
Point well taken. And Howson does deserve credit for the Letestu deal. But again, my issue is with this constant tendency for Howson to take flyers on these type of players.

In one sense, why not? At some point you would figure that you would hit on a diamond in the rough. Maybe Gillies ends up being that guy, and at this point in this season, what the hell do you have to lose. It is just that he has struck out on so many of them.

In a perfect world could you imagine if we had the talent for a third line of (regardless of position) Vermette-Letestu-Umberger? Something like that is what our third line should be.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:30 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
In a perfect world could you imagine if we had the talent for a third line of (regardless of position) Vermette-Letestu-Umberger? Something like that is what our third line should be.
With Carter back, might not the lines look like:

Vinny/Brass/Nash
Johan/Carter/Kubalik
(Your Line Here)
DMac/Pahlsson/Dorsett

Possible?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:04 AM
skimp

Wearing number 9. I hate him.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:30 PM
CrossCheck

use of Colton Gillies

Hey CBJ!

Where will you play Gillies with all your injuries?

Is he better than some of your bottom 6 foward?

Could he stay and become part of the solution long term?

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote