HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2012, 10:32 AM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
So looking at the standings, there are only a handful of teams that have a chance of finishing below us:

East

Buffalo: 43GP- 43 Points
Montreal: 43GP- 39 Points
Tampa Bay: 43GP- 38 Points
Carolina: 45GP- 37 Points
NY Islanders: 41GP- 36 Points

West

Edmonton: 43GP- 36 Points
Anaheim: 43GP- 35 Points
Columbus: 43GP- 29 Points

As of right now we're 7th last, it would be nice to be in the bottom 5 however to have a small chance at #1 overall.

If we do finish where we are, I think Galchenyuk, Gaunce and Collberg to be interesting. I know its a bit of a reach at 7th for Collberg, but I really liked him at the WJC. He's also not the biggest guy, but should be about 6 feet when all is said and done.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Carolina will go on a run like they do every year. Tampa has more to work with.

Depending on our end of the season, we're realistically looking at 5th lowest position in the league.

I wouldn't consider it out of the realm of possibility that Anaheim and Edmonton make the ground that separates us.

It's also quite possible we finish strong. What's the timetable on Markov?

Old
01-14-2012, 11:12 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Carolina will go on a run like they do every year. Tampa has more to work with.

Depending on our end of the season, we're realistically looking at 5th lowest position in the league.

I wouldn't consider it out of the realm of possibility that Anaheim and Edmonton make the ground that separates us.

It's also quite possible we finish strong. What's the timetable on Markov?
That's the biggest wildcard I think as well...We've heard he won't be back before the all-star game, but who really knows I guess...It could be February or March or even April for all we know.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
That's the biggest wildcard I think as well...We've heard he won't be back before the all-star game, but who really knows I guess...It could be February or March or even April for all we know.
I assume if we're losing hard and he's only going to be back for a month or so, they'll shut him down and give him the summer to come back strong.

Might be wrong though.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I had a dream last night that we won the draft lottery.

The thought of losing games hurts, but man what a Yakupov or Grigorenko could do for this franchise..

01-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I had a dream last night that we won the draft lottery.

The thought of losing games hurts, but man what a Yakupov or Grigorenko could do for this franchise..
I'm sure Sir Patrick will want his protégé on the roster.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Et le But

Quote:
I'm sure Sir Patrick will want his protégé on the roster.
I still don't get how anyone could pick Grigorenko over Yakupov.

I mean both would be awesome, but Nail has the wheels that Mikhail could only dream about.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:50 AM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Still dreaming of Yakupov...

Old
01-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I still don't get how anyone could pick Grigorenko over Yakupov.

I mean both would be awesome, but Nail has the wheels that Mikhail could only dream about.
I know what you mean, Yakupov could become a modern 'Pavel Bure', but at the same time, Grigorenko could become so dominant at center, and just a counter argument to what you wrote, Mikhail has the size that Nail could only dream about

Old
01-14-2012, 12:23 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
I know what you mean, Yakupov could become a modern 'Pavel Bure', but at the same time, Grigorenko could become so dominant at center, and just a counter argument to what you wrote, Mikhail has the size that Nail could only dream about
The prospect of finishing first overall worries me. Personally, I want the team to land either Grigorenko or Galchenyuk and don't want to see them in the position of having to pick Yakupov, because - let's face it - he's the most talented forward in the draft.
That big, #1 center has eluded us for the better part of 15 years and no matter how gifted Yakupov is, we can't pass up the cornerstone piece we've been missing for so long. It's kind of like choosing between Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. Kane is amazing, but Toews is one of the most valuable players in the league year in and year out.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Well getting either one would be amazing, both project to be stars, but Yakupov just has that little something extra that could make him a league top offensive force.

Grigorenko reminds me of Malkin, for instance, but he's a step or two slower. Yakupov might be "small", but he's also very powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
The prospect of finishing first overall worries me. Personally, I want the team to land either Grigorenko or Galchenyuk and don't want to see them in the position of having to pick Yakupov, because - let's face it - he's the most talented forward in the draft.
That big, #1 center has eluded us for the better part of 15 years and no matter how gifted Yakupov is, we can't pass up the cornerstone piece we've been missing for so long. It's kind of like choosing between Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. Kane is amazing, but Toews is one of the most valuable players in the league year in and year out.
Yakupov is much more multi-dimensional than Kane though. I know centres are more important than wingers, but it's not like a winger with 100+ point potential is something we've had a glut of over the past 20 years. Drafting for position over the BPA is the biggest draft mistake.

I've heard people compare the situation to Ovechkin and Malkin in 2004. But in this case Grigorenko is a step slower than Malkin, and while Yakupov might lack Ovie's brute force, he could very well be a lot more well rounded (he's already more of a playmaker and has better vision than Ovie ever will)

Last edited by Et le But: 01-14-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old
01-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

I hope you guys know Yakupov has close to 9 months on Grigorenko.

That's nearly a full year of development for non-drafted prospects. Yakupov is the safer pick, but it wouldn't be surprising Grigorenko ends up seeing him in the rearview mirror once they get 2-3 seasons in the NHL.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Problem with Gaunce and Girgensons is they are more two-way players than offensive threats. They project to be 2nd line centres. If we want to hit a homerun and get a go-to guy down the middle, pick Galchenyuk or try to give more for Grigorenko.
I'm not sold on that. Draft watchers sometimes "punish" forwards who are good defensively, assuming they don't have top end scoring ability. Both Gaunce and Girgensons are leading their teams in scoring, despite having '94 birthdays. Gaunce's production has made a big jump from last season. Dubuque lost a couple of big producers, but Girgensons hasn't missed a beat in taking over.

As another poster pointed out, we haven't seen Galchenyuk produce without Yakupov.

Another poster brought up Toews' name to make another point. I remember in 2006, some posters assuming that because Toews was known as the "well rounded" forward at the top of the draft, Backstrom must have the higher ceiling. Backstrom is a very good player, but I don't think anyone would doubt Toews' scoring ability now.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Top Corner2

Don't forget that there will be some late risers in this draft, like every year and that Timmons tends to be big on those types. They are often guys from the lesser scouted leagues, or guys that have a great under 18 or end of the season. Last year both Schiefele & Huberdeau really shot up late.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
I hope you guys know Yakupov has close to 9 months on Grigorenko.

That's nearly a full year of development for non-drafted prospects. Yakupov is the safer pick, but it wouldn't be surprising Grigorenko ends up seeing him in the rearview mirror once they get 2-3 seasons in the NHL.
I love them both, but Grigorenko is the man IMO.

Grigorenko is a game breaker who is capable of controlling the flow of a game and make his linemates better than they are.

Grigorenko has the puck glued to his stick until he finds an open stick that will bury the puck in the net. That's how good he is.

Put Grigorenko with the habs and all of your offense looks much more dangerous

Bourque Grigorenko Gionta
Pacioretty Plekanec Cole
Ruutu Eller Kostitsyn
Moen Gaustad White

Suter Subban
Markov Emelin
Gorges Diaz/Tinordi

Price
Budaj

****ing unrealistic, but do want.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I love them both, but Grigorenko is the man IMO.

Grigorenko is a game breaker who is capable of controlling the flow of a game and make his linemates better than they are.

Grigorenko has the puck glued to his stick until he finds an open stick that will bury the puck in the net. That's how good he is.

Put Grigorenko with the habs and all of your offense looks much more dangerous
Replace "Grigorenko" with "Yakupov" and this post makes just as much sense.

Really, they are both awesome. I don't know how Russia does it.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Grigorenko would be a fan favorite in Montreal especially if Roy's our next coach. As for me, it has always been Grigorenko over Yakupov. It's not about who's better than who, but just because Grigorenko is what we've been missing for so long and exactly what this city needs. A world class prospect and build around Grigo. He's calm and it shows on the ice. Yakupov, on the other hand, has a personality similar to Ovechkin and he's very outgoing and funny. But, you need players like Crosby, Toews and Price..all calm leaders and franchise players.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Grigorenko would be a fan favorite in Montreal especially if Roy's our next coach. As for me, it has always been Grigorenko over Yakupov. It's not about who's better than who, but just because Grigorenko is what we've been missing for so long and exactly what this city needs. A world class prospect and build around Grigo. He's calm and it shows on the ice. Yakupov, on the other hand, has a personality similar to Ovechkin and he's very outgoing and funny. But, you need players like Crosby, Toews and Price..all calm leaders and franchise players.
Either I would be happy with.

Old
01-14-2012, 05:46 PM
NotProkofievian

For me it has been Grigorenko since before the season even began. However, that's starting to slowly change. Yakupov is simply too offensively dynamic. He's simply too able to create something out of absolutely nothing. I think he's the next guy to score 60 goals if Stamkos doesn't do it first.

I think Grigorenko is a 90+ point centerman.

The choice between them is Dionne vs Lafleur....if Dionne were a ****-hair short of 6'4.

Either of these guys is enough for us. However, I think the only realistic shot we have at them is by moving Pleky for futures.

It's a bold move that I highly doubt PG would make.

Old
01-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I assume if we're losing hard and he's only going to be back for a month or so, they'll shut him down and give him the summer to come back strong.

Might be wrong though.
Most players, I'd agree.

Markov, he's such a big question mark going into July 1st, that I think you want to see him play, even if its just 10 games.

Ie, if gionta is only gonna be back for a few weeks, don't bother, Gionta is what he is, and we know what we're getting in our captain.

Markov has played 7 games since the start of last year and had 2 knee surgeries. I want to know... can he take a hit, and can he play in the NHL... even if I realize he won't be at his best due to conditioning, and rust.

Old
01-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

We need Sam Pollock.

Old
01-14-2012, 06:32 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAvtsin View Post
We need Sam Pollock.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology...

Pollock would simply be unable to sleep if he knew of Yakupov until he knew that Yakupov would be his. Mind you, he probably would have put something in motion for him.

Old
01-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Like I've said before, just imagine the excitement around here (and in Montreal) during the spring/summer going into the draft with a top 3 pick.

Old
01-14-2012, 07:02 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Like I've said before, just imagine the excitement around here (and in Montreal) during the spring/summer going into the draft with a top 3 pick.
would be amazing... The next savior.

Old
01-14-2012, 07:12 PM
S Bah

Grigorenko that's all.

Closed Thread