HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Points for 8th place since lockout

Old
01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

vCash: 500
Points for 8th place since lockout

Did some calculations

Since the lockout the 8th seed in the east has had an average points of 92 ... the High number was 94 points and the lowest was 88

Ottawa needs the following points in their remaining 36 games to match those numbers

For 94 points 38 points in remaining games 1.06ppg
For 92 points 36 points in remaining games 1.00ppg
For 88 points 32 points in remaining games 0.89ppg

The current 7th place team is on pace for 91.31 points
The current 8th place team is on pace for 93.17 points
The current 9th place team is on pace for 91.53 points

Ottawa is on pace for 99.82 points

It would be nice to keep the pace to get the 99.82 points.. but we have some breathing room

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

So basically, if we go .500 for the rest of the season, we'll probably still make it.

I can live with that.

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

This season has been full of so many pleasant surprises.

I don't think there's a single player aside from Butler who's failed to exceed my expectations, or at very least meet them.

If you would have told me six months ago that we'd be tied for 3rd in pts in the Eastern conference by January, I would have called you insane, and I'm sure many others would have as well.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
Did some calculations

Since the lockout the 8th seed in the east has had an average points of 92 ... the High number was 94 points and the lowest was 88

Ottawa needs the following points in their remaining 36 games to match those numbers

For 94 points 38 points in remaining games 1.06ppg
For 92 points 36 points in remaining games 1.00ppg
For 88 points 32 points in remaining games 0.89ppg

The current 7th place team is on pace for 91.31 points
The current 8th place team is on pace for 93.17 points
The current 9th place team is on pace for 91.53 points

Ottawa is on pace for 99.82 points

It would be nice to keep the pace to get the 99.82 points.. but we have some breathing room
I will assume its me whos missing something here?

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
I will assume its me whos missing something here?

Not all teams have played the same amount of games so it is possible for a team that is currently ranked higher (leafs) to have a worse PPG than others (Wash & Pens)

Old
01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Quote:
Not all teams have played the same amount of games so it is possible for a team that is currently ranked higher (leafs) to have a worse PPG than others (Wash & Pens)
yes. the operative word is current.

got it.

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

I did ppg projections of all the Eastern Teams (putting their pace so far towards all games remaining)

Here is what the final standings will look like if they all keep their current paces

Old
01-15-2012, 01:07 AM
Lehner

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...st/Ottawa.html

Lehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Mephias

Am I the only one who really doesn't want to play Philly in the 1st round?

Mephias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:17 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
I did ppg projections of all the Eastern Teams (putting their pace so far towards all games remaining)

Here is what the final standings will look like if they all keep their current paces

Our PPG has a good chance of going up too, since if you take out those terrible first two weeks, it would be above Philly too

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephias View Post
Am I the only one who really doesn't want to play Philly in the 1st round?
Lots of hockey left, lets worry about matchups when were in the playoffs

Lehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Alpha190

Wings fan coming in peace here.

Have a few questions if you guys don't mind answering them.

- What's the 3 biggest differences from this season to the prior.
- How is McLean doing? I guess you guys are happy with him.
- Can you guys pinpoint any differences during your current hot streak than the rest of this season. Are the players more confident in their own zone? Are the sens playing better defense? Is it Anders(s)on?

Alpha190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:58 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha190 View Post
Wings fan coming in peace here.

Have a few questions if you guys don't mind answering them.

- What's the 3 biggest differences from this season to the prior.
- How is McLean doing? I guess you guys are happy with him.
- Can you guys pinpoint any differences during your current hot streak than the rest of this season. Are the players more confident in their own zone? Are the sens playing better defense? Is it Anders(s)on?
1. Dependable goaltending. Elliott was too inexperienced, Leclaire too injured. Andy has been solid, especially of late.
2. Competitiveness. Everyone wants to win game in game out. We can be down by 5 goals and come back to win; the energy and the drive are both there.
3. Our offense is amazing. Last year our blueline was a wreck and our breakout sucked. This year, Kuba, Karlsson, and Gonchar have all found their form and the breakout is amazing because of it. Our PP - when it clicks - is amazing. Our young guys are chipping in on each of our top three lines. Even if our defensive coverage has been terrible, the offence is still there to come up with timely goals.

McStache is awesome. He's motivating the players and keeping everyone on the same page. His system maximizes our breakout ability to generate offence. He's found good complementary matches in our lineup and stuck with them. He's rewarding guys who are playing well - one game he used Daugavins, Z.Smith, and Condra on the PP because they were our best line that night... they rewarded him with a goal. On top of motivating and utilizing our players effectively, MacLean's also keeping the team level-headed; we have confidence, we're cocky, but we don't overestimate ourselves and he really helps the team focus on the task at hand.

Current hotstreak is because our best players are playing their best hockey (Spezz, Karlsson, Alfie) and our goaltending is bailing us out when we do make mistakes. The confidence is at an all-time high and everyone is doing their jobs perfectly right now.

01-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
1. Dependable goaltending. Elliott was too inexperienced, Leclaire too injured. Andy has been solid, especially of late.
2. Competitiveness. Everyone wants to win game in game out. We can be down by 5 goals and come back to win; the energy and the drive are both there.
3. Our offense is amazing. Last year our blueline was a wreck and our breakout sucked. This year, Kuba, Karlsson, and Gonchar have all found their form and the breakout is amazing because of it. Our PP - when it clicks - is amazing. Our young guys are chipping in on each of our top three lines. Even if our defensive coverage has been terrible, the offence is still there to come up with timely goals.

McStache is awesome. He's motivating the players and keeping everyone on the same page. His system maximizes our breakout ability to generate offence. He's found good complementary matches in our lineup and stuck with them. He's rewarding guys who are playing well - one game he used Daugavins, Z.Smith, and Condra on the PP because they were our best line that night... they rewarded him with a goal. On top of motivating and utilizing our players effectively, MacLean's also keeping the team level-headed; we have confidence, we're cocky, but we don't overestimate ourselves and he really helps the team focus on the task at hand.

Current hotstreak is because our best players are playing their best hockey (Spezz, Karlsson, Alfie) and our goaltending is bailing us out when we do make mistakes. The confidence is at an all-time high and everyone is doing their jobs perfectly right now.
Sounds about right

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:31 AM
JD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post

i think one of the big differences is perception. we were never as bad as outr record last year, Elliot's goaltending was so horrific that on many many nights we were out of it at the drop of the first puck. the toronto based media had us picked last because it plays in their biggest market. the sens had enough talent heading in to the year to make the playoffs although i'm very surprised how well they are doing.

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Healfezza

Im really hoping for another year of the Sens making the playoffs and Toronto doing a near miss. It would really piss off all the Toronto fans.

Healfezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Fitch89

I seem to remember us having horrible luck last year as well. For example we'd hit like three posts in a game and the other team would get a lucky bounce to win the game by one. Pair that with injuries and guys that weren't on their top game and it quickly snowballed out of control. The team on paper at the beginning of the year looked a lot better than it did on the ice.

Fitch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Our PPG has a good chance of going up too, since if you take out those terrible first two weeks, it would be above Philly too
Young teams are subject to peaks and valleys, this just happens to be a hell of a peak. So if you take away that losing streak, you may as well take away this winning streak. Generally speaking, I'd say the team is somewhere in the middle of both (duh).

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

if Pittsburg and Washington win today, Leafs are bumped back out

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:49 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Young teams are subject to peaks and valleys, this just happens to be a hell of a peak. So if you take away that losing streak, you may as well take away this winning streak. Generally speaking, I'd say the team is somewhere in the middle of both (duh).
The first 2 weeks was not because we were young, it was because a brand new coach and his system

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
if Pittsburg and Washington win today, Leafs are bumped back out
actually Washington only needs to get 1 point to put the leafs in 9th (same points but Washington has less GP and more wins)

Old
01-15-2012, 04:46 PM
DrEasy
Waiting for Methot

Last year Alfie was playing hurt, Fisher was playing hurt, Kovalev probably was playing hurt, Kuba was playing hurt or recovering, Spezza got hurt, Michalek was recovering, Leclaire was hurt, and I probably forget many others. Injuries, IMO, were the main reason for our bad season last year. Clouston, with pretty much the same team, managed to get us into the playoffs the year before.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:58 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
Last year Alfie was playing hurt, Fisher was playing hurt, Kovalev definitely was playing lazy, Kuba was playing hurt or recovering, Spezza got hurt, Michalek was recovering, Leclaire was hurt, and I probably forget many others. Injuries, IMO, were the main reason for our bad season last year. Clouston, with pretty much the same team, managed to get us into the playoffs the year before.
fixed.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Even though Washington is projected to have a lower points total than Florida I think they will easily overtake them for 1st in the Southeast Division. This will force Fla into a fight for a playoff spot with the current 4-8 group led by Philadelphia, Ottawa, NJ, Pitt and Toronto. Based on the recent play of all these teams it may come down to Florida vs Toronto for the 8th and final playoff spot.

Tundraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:52 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Even though Washington is projected to have a lower points total than Florida I think they will easily overtake them for 1st in the Southeast Division. This will force Fla into a fight for a playoff spot with the current 4-8 group led by Philadelphia, Ottawa, NJ, Pitt and Toronto. Based on the recent play of all these teams it may come down to Florida vs Toronto for the 8th and final playoff spot.
I agree

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote