HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather keeps Avery in limbo

Old
01-15-2012, 12:41 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
how tough it must be for ken gernander to deal with a guy wearing sneakers. clearly avery has really lost it now.
He knew what the dress code was and willingly violated it.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Avery is an idiot but its almost like people are looking to get him on something. That said just get rid of him

its kinda sad that Mitchell , Newbury now subbing in ........Avery is likely better than both but causes too much crap
And Avery has to go through re-call waivers to be brought up, which means we get hit with a 500K cap hit for the rest of the season if the reports are true that there are teams interested in Avery.

No way he's even a consideration for a recall now.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:00 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Did he actually hit an official, or was it verbal?
Verbal. If it was physical there would be a bigger story about it now as a suspension would definitely be coming. Probably just mouthed off to them about something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Violating the dress code is basically refusing to play, since it is insubordination.
It is moronic by him but it's a lot different then spitting on a coach and flat out refusing to play. The Rangers handled it the right way and hopefully there's no other issues out of this. I don't see the misconduct tonight as him heading down a dangerous path as some have mentioned as Newbury got the same thing called against him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
And Avery has to go through re-call waivers to be brought up, which means we get hit with a 500K cap hit for the rest of the season if the reports are true that there are teams interested in Avery.

No way he's even a consideration for a recall now.
Yeah he's done as a Ranger. The comments he had after he got waived sealed the deal but there's certainly no way in hell they try to recall him with teams potentially interested.

01-15-2012, 01:20 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He knew what the dress code was and willingly violated it.
hang him!!!!!!!!!!!

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:21 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sean had the same issues with Dallas regarding dress code. This is Sean being Sean. Mr. GQ is being a diva. He knows the rules. The Rangers have the same rules. Jacket. Tie. Shirt. Dress pants. Shoes. Socks. Sean is being a dick. Sean is acting like a teenage girl rebelling against her parents.

Quote:
Word is Avery showed up to the Stars plane the other night in sweatpants and a T-shirt. Players are pretty much required to wear suits on team flights. I’m also told Avery was on the cell phone prior to the game when Stars Head Coach Dave Tippett told him it was time for a team meeting. Avery’s response to his Head Coach was, just a minute.

Dave Tippett has never come across to me as a guy who will put up with this act very long.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16944

Sean didn't last very long in Dallas.

Sather should send Avery home. Pay him his remaining salary. Get him away from the players in the organization. As long as Sean gets his salary and still has all of his benefits,the PA cant complain.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
He didn't do enough to stay? Seriously? Some timely goals and strong forechecking while getting about seven minutes a game. Yeah, he was terrible you're right. The coach didn't want him here. That's all this has ever been. Because he's a 4th liner who can play up, it's not the end of the world that he's been washed away by the head coach. That much I understand. The coach even admitted it was his fault by not actually using him. What a strange coincidence.
Hes worn out his welcome with nearly every coach he's ever played for. Why is this pathetic excuse being used? Your incessant defense of Avery becomes more and more bizarre as these stories come out about him seemingly every couple of months. The guy is a dick, a jerk, a punk, a diva --all of these names in this thread are accurate. Why in the world would you advocate Tortorella dealing with this **** when in reality he could only barely beat out a couple of guys on the roster when it comes purely to play? Do you want the team to implode and/or be distracted by this guy's sideshow?

But hey, at least he didnt spit on anyone!

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Avery wore jeans and sneakers?!?!?!?!

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:37 AM
eco's bones

Testing the parameters I suppose. We could do without it. I always figured this would be Sean's last year with us.

Knowing Slats--or at least thinking I know something about Slats--I expect that given enough time he figures he can work out a deal with some team or other--which is a reason not to send him home.

Without watching last night's Connecticut game or hearing from someone who did I'd rather not comment on the two misconducts for abusing the officials--and also because Newbury got one as well. FWIW AHL refs can be even worse than NHL refs who can be pretty bad. Some referees can be very (or more) sensitive as well.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
he had offers to go the khl before he was called up the 1st time.
If he did, and I don't recall hearing anything like that, it was his call not to go.

That smell you smell is bridges being burned.

01-15-2012, 08:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
how tough it must be for ken gernander to deal with a guy wearing sneakers. clearly avery has really lost it now.
How tough it must be for the fashion guru to dig up a jacket and tie. It goes deeper than his choice of attire.

Still think he's got a future on Broadway?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How tough it must be for the fashion guru to dig up a jacket and tie. It goes deeper than his choice of attire.

Still think he's got a future on Broadway?
Yep... he is setting a bad examples for all of the players.

If the coach let him play while he violated the dress code, it would prompt the player to ask, "Well, if Aves can play while wearing jeans and sneakers, why do we have to wear suits?".

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Yep... he is setting a bad examples for all of the players.

If the coach let him play while he violated the dress code, it would prompt the player to ask, "Well, if Aves can play while wear jeans and sneakers, why do we have to wear suits?".
It shows an unwillingness to be a part of time.

Old
01-15-2012, 08:30 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Here was the Francis tidbit

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/02...ew-profit-high

It didn't include anything about re-entry waivers
Avery's big heart? That's a new one.

I understand it's agent talk but trying to paint him as some sort of philanthropist seems a bit over the top.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
It shows an unwillingness to be a part of time.
Which, in turn, is bad for the locker room.

The Rangers know what happens when you have mercenaries for a hockey team.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:37 AM
chosen

Quote:
I assume you work. When you go to work, you are expected to live up to the dress code of your work environment. In the business world, if you do not adhere to the rules, you lose your job, especially in these economic times.

Since Avery was aware of the dress code, there are only two possible explanations:

1. He is saying screw you to the people paying his salary
2. He is incredibly stupid

Neither scenario paints him in a complimentary light.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:37 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

It's just jeans and sneakers is not the point. It's juvenile behavior by a grown man who is paid very well to act like a professional, yet can't follow the most mundane of tasks and dress properly. My 5 yo can follow those directions and he doesn't even get an allowance let alone 3.9 mil a yr.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:39 AM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Avery's big heart? That's a new one.

I understand it's agent talk but trying to paint him as some sort of philanthropist seems a bit over the top.
"Heart" is agent-speak for "ego"...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Yep, time to cut bait. He's a sideshow and his productivity doesn't warrant keeping him around.

I'll always enjoy Avery, but it's time to move on.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts has the backing of Rangers management

Quote:
Concord-raised John Tortorella, hired as bench boss Feb. 23, 2009, finally has his squad’s full attention in his third season.

“I’d say coaching is a huge part of it,’’ said the 43-year-old Gorton, who grew up in Melrose and climbed through Boston’s front-office ranks, beginning as an assistant in the public relations department. “John’s coaching ability is second to none. It’s a team with a system, with accountability. The team has taken on his identity, which means no one is allowed a day off.’’
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...int/?page=full

Avery has a problem with authority figures. Which coach hasn't Avery clashed with? Murray in LA. Boudreau in Manchester. Tippett in Dallas. Torts in NY. Gernander in CT. Notice a pattern here? Sean is always the victim. Renney is a saint for coaching Avery and Jagr on the same team.

Quote:
Since arriving from New York, with Avery in the lineup, the Whale are now 0-4-1-1 and it doesn’t take Scotty Bowman to see that his presence is affecting the chemistry of this team. Avery is obviously extremely unhappy and has unequivocally proven to be a detriment to the continued development of this team. For his sake, and for the team’s sake, Glen Sather and the New York Rangers hierarchy need to send the forward elsewhere one way or the other.
http://howlings.net/2012/01/15/the-avery-affect/

Send his ass home. Laraque him. He gets his full salary and same benefits.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:08 AM
pld459666

I've supported Avery for a long time and still think he can play the game.

However, as pathetic as I may think a dress code is, there is one in place by the team that needs to be adhered to.

The problem child that we have not seen much of in the Rangers lockerroom is starting to come out and I believe it's cause he knows his time is running out as a NYR.

He's done in this org. and I think the best thing to do right now is to pay him to stay home.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
He's done in this org. and I think the best thing to do right now is to pay him to stay home.
Yes.

The Rangers are a contending team. The less time and resources Sather and his team have to spend on this idiot, the better. Pay him to go away. No reason Sather should be wasting his time trying to find a trade partner for this guy, and even less of a reason to keep the clown-show down in Hartford so his toxic attitude continues effecting the kids. Ken Gernander has done a great job getting players prepared to take the next step...he deserves better than getting this hand grenade dropped into his locker room.

Old
01-15-2012, 09:28 AM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts has the backing of Rangers management

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...int/?page=full

Avery has a problem with authority figures. Which coach hasn't Avery clashed with? Murray in LA. Boudreau in Manchester. Tippett in Dallas. Torts in NY. Gernander in CT. Notice a pattern here? SeOan is always the victim. Renney is a saint for coaching Avery and Jagr on the same team.

http://howlings.net/2012/01/15/the-avery-affect/

Send his ass home. Laraque him. He gets his full salary and same benefits.
Sending him elsewhere is exactly what he wants. He pulled the same **** in Dallas and got himself a ticket back to New York. Now he's trying to get a ticket out. The ego that is Sean Avery cannot handle the shame of an AHL demotion.

Is giving a brat child what they want all the time good parenting? No they become spoiled and self-entitled. Something Avery clearly is.

I don't blame him for wanting out, but if he is going to act like a child he should be treated as such.

rip
DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Sending him elsewhere is exactly what he wants. He pulled the same **** in Dallas and got himself a ticket back to New York. Now he's trying to get a ticket out. The ego that is Sean Avery cannot handle the shame of an AHL demotion.

Is giving a brat child what they want all the time good parenting? No they become spoiled and self-entitled. Something Avery clearly is.

I don't blame him for wanting out, but if he is going to act like a child he should be treated as such.
The only difference between now and what happened in Dallas was he knew he could come here. Not sure where he thinks he's going to go now.

Old
01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The only difference between now and what happened in Dallas was he knew he could come here. Not sure where he thinks he's going to go now.
I honestly have to question if he even wants to continue his hockey career.

He (and his remaining fans, for that matter) have a unique and disturbing knack of continously painting himself as the victim. You would think that any sane person, with his baggage over the years, would eventually realize he's the problem -- especially considering how tenous his hockey future is right now.

Old
01-15-2012, 10:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I honestly have to question if he even wants to continue his hockey career.

He (and his remaining fans, for that matter) have a unique and disturbing knack of continously painting himself as the victim. You would think that any sane person, with his baggage over the years, would eventually realize he's the problem -- especially considering how tenous his hockey future is right now.
I said when he first went down to Hartford that I would be very surprised if he didn't retire. He has made a good living playing hockey and obviously has other interests — and Hartford really isn't conducive to exploring those interests.