HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather keeps Avery in limbo

Old
01-15-2012, 11:57 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yep, time to cut bait. He's a sideshow and his productivity doesn't warrant keeping him around.

I'll always enjoy Avery, but it's time to move on.
More or less where I'm at.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I'd eat the 500k if he's seriously messing with the development of the prospects. But it's only been a little while . Prospects have to learn to manage difficult locker room situations as well....

01-15-2012, 12:09 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Again...I think this is just clear frustrations on Avery's part. They're tough to defend, in fact impossible, but it's apparent.

This is a guy who knows he's an NHL caliber player and HE feels that his career is being blocked by the likes of Tortorella. Knowing his past, it wasn't a smart move in the first place to send Avery to Hartford. The Rangers FO should have forseen these troubles coming. But like I said in a post in the CTWhale thread, Morris, or Voros, or someone that Avery will listen to (Sather perhaps) just need to sit Avery down and tell him the only way to get back to the NHL is to cut the crap and play his game.

Though I respect Mitch Beck completely, it's ridiculous to blame the Whale's current struggles on Avery. The same people who were saying Avery's positive effect on the Rangers was coincidental are the ones arguing that the 0-4-1-1 streak the Whale are on is because of Avery.

I say it's because of Christensen.

Unless he does what we all know he can and starts playing an effective game, he shouldn't be in Hartford.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Again...I think this is just clear frustrations on Avery's part. They're tough to defend, in fact impossible, but it's apparent.

This is a guy who knows he's an NHL caliber player and HE feels that his career is being blocked by the likes of Tortorella. Knowing his past, it wasn't a smart move in the first place to send Avery to Hartford. The Rangers FO should have forseen these troubles coming. But like I said in a post in the CTWhale thread, Morris, or Voros, or someone that Avery will listen to (Sather perhaps) just need to sit Avery down and tell him the only way to get back to the NHL is to cut the crap and play his game.

Though I respect Mitch Beck completely, it's ridiculous to blame the Whale's current struggles on Avery. The same people who were saying Avery's positive effect on the Rangers was coincidental are the ones arguing that the 0-4-1-1 streak the Whale are on is because of Avery.

I say it's because of Christensen.

Unless he does what we all know he can and starts playing an effective game, he shouldn't be in Hartford.
If he wants to put this on Torts, he's just delusional. Pretty much every stop he's made in this league has ended badly. You can't blame Torts for going on waivers twice and re-entry once and not a team biting. He's burned bridges either with his mouth or his actions. And this latest round of issues shows a pattern of behavior where the risk is greater than any potential reward. And that's on him — not on Torts.

01-15-2012, 12:27 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If he wants to put this on Torts, he's just delusional. Pretty much every stop he's made in this league has ended badly. You can't blame Torts for going on waivers twice and re-entry once and not a team biting. That's on him not on Torts.
When Avery was with the Rangers this season there was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of not "behaving." The guy put his head down, and took one minor penalty in 15 games that put the Rangers shorthanded. He scored some goals, controlled the puck down low in the offensive zone and he still found himself benched for heavy minutes despite playing a strong, disciplined game.

If I was in his shoes, I'd be putting this current demotion on Torts.

But you're right, he's made his own bed and THAT'S why other NHL teams won't bite on him on waivers.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
If he wants to put this on Torts, he's just delusional. Pretty much every stop he's made in this league has ended badly. You can't blame Torts for going on waivers twice and re-entry once and not a team biting. That's on him not on Torts.
Plus theres more to being a professional, than just being an "NHL caliber player." It involves having your head on straight, which seems to be a real issue for Avery.

As you said, he's alienated himself from pretty much the entire NHL with his antics - to pin it on one guy is simply a sad excuse at this point.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:40 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
How tough it must be for the fashion guru to dig up a jacket and tie. It goes deeper than his choice of attire.

Still think he's got a future on Broadway?
Bingo. This is willful insubordination. No idea why people think the rules don't apply to Avery.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:41 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
When Avery was with the Rangers this season there was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of not "behaving." The guy put his head down, and took one minor penalty in 15 games that put the Rangers shorthanded. He scored some goals, controlled the puck down low in the offensive zone and he still found himself benched for heavy minutes despite playing a strong, disciplined game.

If I was in his shoes, I'd be putting this current demotion on Torts.

But you're right, he's made his own bed and THAT'S why other NHL teams won't bite on him on waivers.
His current demotion was him not playing well. That is it.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
We're gonna have to agree to disagree there Jon.

I know it may seem like I'm trying to defend Avery here, and as a probably known "Avery guy" around these boards I'm sure it's coming off like that. But trust me, if it's going to be this way with him in HFD, which I was afraid it was going to be, then he needs to be gone as soon as possible.

Everything is highlighted when it comes to Sean, and it should...as I said before he made his own bed here.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:48 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
We're gonna have to agree to disagree there Jon.

I know it may seem like I'm trying to defend Avery here, and as a probably known "Avery guy" around these boards I'm sure it's coming off like that. But trust me, if it's going to be this way with him in HFD, which I was afraid it was going to be, then he needs to be gone as soon as possible.

Everything is highlighted when it comes to Sean, and it should...as I said before he made his own bed here.
Avery had two or three games where he was good up here. Then he wore off and went back to being mediocre. Sorry, but he played himself off the team with poor play. End of story. There was no grudge that sent him down. Torts would not let a petty grudge get in the way of winning. He wants to win far, far too much.

Old
01-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I dont entirely agree. From purely a hockey playing standpoint, you dont convince me that theres 12 better forwards on the roster than Avery. He'd be 11 or 12 maybe, not nearly good enough to justify keeping him around considering his attitude.

Remember that "just Manny being Manny" BS from the Red Sox all those years? Easier to deal with when he was one of the most feared hitters of all-time. Not so much with the steroid stuff and when, especially, his production started declining.

This is just Avery being Avery. Ill use his brief cameo in 24/7 as an example - sitting there eating breakfast in his sunglasses, asking if the OJ refills are free. Hes a jerk, hes self-absorbed, and hes incredibly immature for a 31 year old. But thats just him. And he apparently feels persecuted because so many authority figures cant handle him for who he is. Well, hes a fringe-NHL'er these days and its just not worth the trouble.

His fans seem to enjoy the rebellious attitude. For any authority figure seeking some semblance of professionalism, its a nightmare.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:01 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

The only forwards on the roster Avery is better than right now are Mitchell and Christensen.

Mitchell brings much the same that Avery brings, just at a much cheaper rate and without the headaches. In a cap world, salary counts. And when you have two evenly matched (relatively) players? Gotta go with salary as the way to pick between them.

Christensen is an anomaly, really. I have no idea why he is still on the roster.

So we have one guy, now, that Avery should realistically replace. Christensen. And because of his salary? That makes no sense.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Personally, I can't stand Avery, but that's because he's such a damn good agitator, that he gets under my skin whenever my B's have played against him. That means he's doing his job, and he does do that well indeed.

This may be a long shot to some of you, but is it possible that he's just bored with playing hockey now?

Someone who loves what they do, will do anything to continue doing it for as long as they can. They wouldn't do foolish things like he does, defying bosses, etc. knowing that eventually it could cost him his job permanently. It's almost like he's looking for a way out of playing, instead of just saying he doesn't want to play anymore- perhaps because he doesn't want to lose the money from his contract or perhaps there is some other reason. Maybe he wants to pursue another career?

Like I said above, it may be a long shot, but sometimes, boredom can cause people to do stupid stuff. Avery has always been a decent player, he never really needed to be an agitator to last in the NHL, as he had some decent skills. Sadly, he's wasting them.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
avery had to play remarkably well for him to stay in the lineup here. he did for a few games and then played like an average player again.

torts was doing what was best for this team, and he feels that he can win without sean avery being on this team. and what has the team done since he was sent down? win.

also, even if avery was playing lights out, we had to clear cap room for wolski and staal to come back. guess what bottom 6 forward had the highest salary that needed to be moved, sean avery.

its a combination of factors as to why he's not here anymore and i am certainly glad the sideshow on broadway is over.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
Personally, I can't stand Avery, but that's because he's such a damn good agitator, that he gets under my skin whenever my B's have played against him. That means he's doing his job, and he does do that well indeed.

This may be a long shot to some of you, but is it possible that he's just bored with playing hockey now?

Someone who loves what they do, will do anything to continue doing it for as long as they can. They wouldn't do foolish things like he does, defying bosses, etc. knowing that eventually it could cost him his job permanently. It's almost like he's looking for a way out of playing, instead of just saying he doesn't want to play anymore- perhaps because he doesn't want to lose the money from his contract or perhaps there is some other reason. Maybe he wants to pursue another career?

Like I said above, it may be a long shot, but sometimes, boredom can cause people to do stupid stuff. Avery has always been a decent player, he never really needed to be an agitator to last in the NHL, as he had some decent skills. Sadly, he's wasting them.
It's possible that he knows his gig is now well known, and people aren't as likely to feed in to his hands as they have in the past. If that were truly the case though, he would just go to Hartford and collect his check and move on from hockey after. That or just flat-out retire and move on to his other interests.

Right now it seems more like a vendetta because of the way he has been treated over the past few seasons (to his own fault or others...) and he has something to prove.

Who knows? The guy is an egomaniac and it's hardly worth trying to figure out his motives, which are more than likely all self-centered, at least in regards to this.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The only forwards on the roster Avery is better than right now are Mitchell and Christensen.

Mitchell brings much the same that Avery brings, just at a much cheaper rate and without the headaches. In a cap world, salary counts. And when you have two evenly matched (relatively) players? Gotta go with salary as the way to pick between them.

Christensen is an anomaly, really. I have no idea why he is still on the roster.

So we have one guy, now, that Avery should realistically replace. Christensen. And because of his salary? That makes no sense.
I agree.

But its a direct contradiction to what you said before:

Quote:

Old
01-15-2012, 03:43 PM
eco's bones

Avery a few years ago was a hell of a hockey player. Now--not so much. He's still a legit NHL player--keeping in mind though that the Rangers are one of the better teams in the league now and that we have quite a lot of depth at all positions with maybe the exception of goal. The Rangers are at the point where they can get by easily without him. In the games he played this year--he played well enough but was not really very often much of a difference maker. His role has been marginalized--maybe to an extent it's Torts doing but really I see other players passing him by--i.e. Hagelin and we know Kreider is going to be here soon as well.

I think Sean 'could' (operative word) play on a lot of NHL teams (if they would have him is another question)--it's just at this point that he's not needed here. He's a victim in the sense that he's victim of the numbers game--and truthfully that eventually comes every player's way. From the player's standpoint it sucks and as it happens he doesn't appear to be handling it very well. Personally I don't think Drury handled it all that well this summer--more or less screwing us on the cap.

Anyway I liked Sean as a Ranger but I like the team more and Torts has 'his' Rangers performing way above my expectations (I was expecting a 4-6 playoff spot) so no matter how much one likes Avery it's very hard argument to make that he's made a mistake in this personnel decision.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:56 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I agree.

But its a direct contradiction to what you said before:
No it's not. He was playing like ****. Mitchell was outplaying him. So it made it even easier to send him down. On a normal day, Avery should be better than Mitchell. When both were with the big club, he was not. Pretty cut and dry.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:20 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Looks like Avery on re-entry
Do not like that waste of capspace
http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-ar...y-waivers.html

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Looks like Avery on re-entry
Do not like that waste of capspace
http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-ar...y-waivers.html
I dont buy it. Theres the dead cap space issue, which is big, but you're also going to let Avery pout his way around Hartford for another month+? This situation needs to end soon, and the best alternative is to pay him to go away.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't think Avery is much better than Mitchell at this point. Mitchell is bigger, stronger, and is ale to control the puck down low.

I can't understand the outrage about Avery. He's fringe at this point.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Would have rather seen Avery over the Newberry disaster last night...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Rangers4Life74

just get him off the team,even if it means eating dead cap space.he obviously has no future with the club,why string him along to cause further distractions in the minors?

Take the loss and LET HIM GO.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:46 AM
ruckus*

I love wearing jeans and sneakers to work. Feels so good.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
I love wearing jeans and sneakers to work. Feels so good.
Me too. On Fridays when its allowable.

Although, if I ever got a demotion down to the mail room, I probably wouldnt wear jeans/sneakers.