HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gleason, Suter, etc. (ESPN, Edmonton Journal, Philly.com, etc.)

Old
01-11-2012, 10:39 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 872
Gleason, Suter, etc. (ESPN, Edmonton Journal, Philly.com, etc.)

If you want to discuss these names, this thread is an option...

(From his Twitter)
Quote:
I think Tim Gleason is among several other names the Flyers have on their radar as well...
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...lers-in-ottawa

(Blog entry)
Quote:
LeBrun: I spoke with Suterís agent, Neil Sheehy, yesterday, as well as Poile. Both reported the status quo on Suterís contract talks but said the dialogue continues. Poileís overwhelming focus over the next month will continue to be just that: getting an extension done with Suter. In the meantime, perhaps thereís something Poile can do to entice Suter to stay on board? The message from Suter and Weber has been the same to the Predsí front office: Show us that youíre serious about winning. I wonder, if the Preds went out and acquired a rental like winger Ales Hemsky from Edmonton, for example, would that influence Suter in signing an extension?

I think most people around the hockey world assume Suter will be moved if he isnít signed by Feb. 27, given how Nashville hated the way the Dan Hamhuis situation played out a few years ago, but I think, as you explained above, itís more complicated than that. I think it really depends on what Poile is offered for Suter. If thereís a trade that helps his team remain competitive, my guess is that heíll look at it. Take the Philadelphia Flyers as a possible trade partner. I know they have listed Suter as their No. 1 target on their shopping list. If thereís a young forward in the package that can help Nashville now, does Poile jump at it? If the Preds are sitting in a playoff spot come Feb. 27 and the offers for Suter are solely based on draft picks and prospects, Iím not sure Poile can justify it. Tough call, as it always is at this time of year.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-30-2012 at 09:04 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:47 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
The biggest issue if we're playing the Suter game, is what if he walks?

Okay...you send Schenn and a 1st to acquire him at the deadline.

Then he Hamhuises the Flyers in the offseason.

Now what? No Schenn and no 1st to draft a defensemen.

If you're playing games with Suter, you need to be extra careful: he's going to be expensive, and he's going to be a risk.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Kaktus*

2nd and Bourdon/Gus for Gleason?

Deal with Suter during off season. Send Nash a pick for his negations rights.

By that time, we'll know where Prongers stands and what about Timonen as well as CBA.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
2nd and Bourdon/Gus for Gleason?

Deal with Suter during off season. Send Nash a pick for his negations rights.

By that time, we'll know where Prongers stands and what about Timonen as well as CBA.
I like that idea, but I could see a lot of teams attempting this strategy, meaning it will cost probably around what Hammy cost last year, if not more.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I like that idea, but I could see a lot of teams attempting this strategy, meaning it will cost probably around what Hammy cost last year, if not more.
Yeah but Homer gets it done. That and ****ing up cap room.
Proven record, Timonen, Hartnell, Hamhuis .

Old
01-11-2012, 11:03 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Most minor clubs don't have the pull or financials to risk moving pieces just for Suter to walk on them.

It narrows the list substantially. Now toss away teams that don't need defense...

You're probably looking at a 4-5 team war to get his rights.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Most minor clubs don't have the pull or financials to risk moving pieces just for Suter to walk on them.

It narrows the list substantially. Now toss away teams that don't need defense...

You're probably looking at a 4-5 team war to get his rights.
That's still a pretty good amount of teams when we are talking about just rights. If there are 4-5 teams looking to trade for his rights, that means there are AT LEAST 4-5 teams looking to sign him. Which means his price is going to be high (both to obtain his rights and to sign him). If Homer can get his rights, I'm all for it, I am just worried, as I'm sure many of you are, that the Flyers might get Hamhuis'd and may not be able to pull off the deal they did last year in swapping his rights for another pick.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:15 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
That's still a pretty good amount of teams when we are talking about just rights. If there are 4-5 teams looking to trade for his rights, that means there are AT LEAST 4-5 teams looking to sign him. Which means his price is going to be high (both to obtain his rights and to sign him). If Homer can get his rights, I'm all for it, I am just worried, as I'm sure many of you are, that the Flyers might get Hamhuis'd and may not be able to pull off the deal they did last year in swapping his rights for another pick.
I'm alright getting Hamhuis'd.

I'm not alright getting Hamhuis'd over a 1st round pick.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The biggest issue if we're playing the Suter game, is what if he walks?

Okay...you send Schenn and a 1st to acquire him at the deadline.

Then he Hamhuises the Flyers in the offseason.

Now what? No Schenn and no 1st to draft a defensemen.

If you're playing games with Suter, you need to be extra careful: he's going to be expensive, and he's going to be a risk.
If Suter's the guy you want, and Nashville will deal him, you only offer a good player on the condition Suter will sign a 5+ year extension as part of the deal. If not, he's just a rental and prospects/picks is all you get.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

honestly, if NSH is in a solid playoff spot, there's no reason for them to move Suter even if they havent signed him yet. They have a solid team (great goalie) and can easily make some noise in the playoffs. Trading Suter would be dumb because he's the kind of defenseman you need in the playoffs.

I say we take our chances and wait until the summer to try and sign him because nashville will want a lot for him

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 872
More trade minutia to decipher...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...766/story.html

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers definitely want a defenceman with Chris Pronger done for the season and like, everybody else, they’re monitoring Ryan Suter. They love him. They want him if the Nashville Predators can’t sign the unrestricted free agent before the trade deadline. They’ve got winger James van Riemsdyk for sure to move, but his confirmed concussion puts everything on hold. If you’re a team in the hunt for van Riemsdyk, you also have to know his hip is sore enough he’ll likely need surgery in the off-season and he’s also had an abdominal muscle tear this season. He’s also got 5-1/2 years left on a $25.5-million deal.

Would the Flyers trade centre Brayden Schenn because they are playing another rookie Sean Couturier much more? They obviously have their first-round draft pick in play, and maybe a young prospect defender like Marc-Andre Bourdon. All this is conditional, of course, on Suter and his agent, former Calgary Flames meanie Neil Sheehy, wanting to sign a long-term deal before July 1. If a Suter trade doesn’t come off, they like Luke Schenn of the Toronto Maple Leafs for van Riemsdyk, who hasn’t yet shown he can be more than a 45-50 point player, although this year he’s been hit hard by medical problems. With the concussion (maybe after being hit by the Ottawa Senators’ Bobby Butler), all trade bets are off for the time being with his unsure status.
Not that it is relevant to the current cause, but Sheehy was Mike Maneluk's agent in the late 90s, when Maneluk came out of camp on LeClair/Lindros' #1 line. Sheehy got into a public verbal battle with Bob Clarke regarding a contract issue and after Maneluk was dealt to Chicago a few weeks later. Maneluk then had contractual problems with Chicago who traded him, then was eventually re-signed by the Flyers...after he fired Sheehy.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-15-2012 at 11:14 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
More trade minutia to decipher...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...766/story.html

Not that it is relevant to the current cause, but Sheehy was Mike Maneluk's agent in the late 90s, when Maneluk came out of camp on LeClair/Lindros' #1 line. Sheehy got into a public verbal battle with Bob Clarke regarding a contract issue and after Maneluk was dealt to Chicago a few weeks later. Maneluk then had contractual problems with Chicago who traded him, then was eventually re-signed by the Flyers...after he fired Sheehy.
If we could get Suter for JVR a first and MAB that would be insane.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:25 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't think Holmgren is going to make a big move like that, especially with his biggest bargaining chip out with a concussion right now. If there's any deal that Holmgren makes, it'll probably be for a depth defenseman like a Radek Martinek or something like that.

Holmgren's MO so far is that he saves his biggest moves for the off season. I'm sure he sees the team right now for what it is - a good club that will make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two, but isn't a serious Stanley Cup contender.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think that would be horrible... Right now, Suter is nothing more than a rental player. A damn good rental player yes, but there is nothing stopping him from walking after the year.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:48 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Agreed. JVR a 1st and MAB for 1/2 year of Suter would indeed be INSANE.

in∑sane/inˈsān/
Adjective:

In a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

If Suter was signed, I'd EASILY make that deal.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't get why people think Suter is a great defenseman. The system in Nashville makes him look better than what he really is. I think if the Flyers give up a goldmine for him, they're going to be sorely disappointed in the results. It's easy to look like a rock star when the coach basically plays a system that makes all five players on the ice look like defensemen.

The Flyers need is basic for the blue line - they need a defensive defenseman who can play 20+ minutes a night in a shut down role and has a whole lot of mean to his game. Suter doesn't have that type of snarl in his game. A guy like Gleason is needed more than Suter. Matt Greene in Los Angeles would be another good fit if could be done.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't get why people think Suter is a great defenseman. The system in Nashville makes him look better than what he really is. I think if the Flyers give up a goldmine for him, they're going to be sorely disappointed in the results. It's easy to look like a rock star when the coach basically plays a system that makes all five players on the ice look like defensemen.

The Flyers need is basic for the blue line - they need a defensive defenseman who can play 20+ minutes a night in a shut down role and has a whole lot of mean to his game. Suter doesn't have that type of snarl in his game. A guy like Gleason is needed more than Suter. Matt Greene in Los Angeles would be another good fit if could be done.
Eh, I dont totally agree. I do think a defensive system does help, but if it made Weber and Suter than the other defenders (like Ellis) would look as good and honestly they havent. Remember Timonen came from that team, and he kept up his amazing play.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Kaktus*

Add Gill/Kubina for 3rd round pick and move on. Sort it out in off season. We are not winning cup this season.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-15-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old
01-15-2012, 12:44 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
The moment we trade for suter, holmgren hands his agent a blank check

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:51 PM
boxcar65

Let's give Bourdon a chance to develop into that stay-at-home, tough d-man. I think he has the tools and is developing nicely. Of course he is going to have games where he makes rookie mistakes, but the best thing to do is let him play through it.

boxcar65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:52 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

This team needs to adress the future on the blueline. Especially top pairing defenseman. Gleason and Matt Greene are neither. Snarl? I want guys who can play the postion. A guy who can play 25 minutes a night on the top pairing. I like Gleason, but for a long term plan? no.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:04 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Gleason is more of the same when it comes to guys like coburn, Carle, mez. He's a middle pair defenseman who you wouldn't want to anchor a top 2 pairing.

I'd pass. They need a go to guy that can be a long term solution.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Gleason is more of the same when it comes to guys like coburn, Carle, mez. He's a middle pair defenseman who you wouldn't want to anchor a top 2 pairing.

I'd pass. They need a go to guy that can be a long term solution.
Agreed, I think this longing for Gleason is just another case of "the grass is always greener ...".

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar65 View Post
Let's give Bourdon a chance to develop into that stay-at-home, tough d-man. I think he has the tools and is developing nicely. Of course he is going to have games where he makes rookie mistakes, but the best thing to do is let him play through it.
Bourdon might stay even if we add another dman. The fight for the 6th spot is between him and Gustafsson I imagine, and right now Bourdon has the upper hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
This team needs to adress the future on the blueline. Especially top pairing defenseman. Gleason and Matt Greene are neither. Snarl? I want guys who can play the postion. A guy who can play 25 minutes a night on the top pairing. I like Gleason, but for a long term plan? no.
For this year, I think Gleason will do just fine. I don't think Nashville will trade Suter until after the playoffs, and then it is Gleason/Beauchemin that intrigues me the most of the upcoming UFA's.

Suter is definitely option A in the summer however, but if we can't land him it wouldn't be a bad idea to add some snarl to the blueline. We're not the most physical unit in front of our own net right now.

Hopefully Pronger can come back, and we land Suter though...

Pronger-Suter
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Bourdon/Gustafsson/Marshall/Bartulis
Lilja

that would be awesome

if it's clear that Pronger won't be able to play next year as well, we might need to add another dman though. Grossman from Dallas? Brings nothing offensively, but is tough and big and will probably come fairly cheap. Not so sure I'd like to count on two of the /ies to be able to play full time next year.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote