HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this a boring team?

Old
01-15-2012, 12:16 PM
nyrmessier011

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Winning ain't boring.
well its not, on the other hand if we string a few losses together the style of last nights game is going to frustrate a lot of people.

i wasnt able to see a whole lot of the game, but last night from what i did see and read about wasn't really the typical style we play, anyway. it was a smart road game against a team we lost to twice already and we needed to make some adjustments. even if we were .500 i wouldn't think many games were bad. there have been maybe ten games out of the 30-35 i've watched this year that were really boring hockey games. it happens in an 82 game season.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Everyone talks about how exciting the Oilers are. I'd rather be us.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:18 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
So, this idiot says "we were chipping pucks in and they were doing the same to us" and because we were better at it, we bored them?

He's a Fart Smeller, I mean a smart feller
Exactly what I was thinking. What a stupid comment.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
well its not, on the other hand if we string a few losses together the style of last nights game is going to frustrate a lot of people.

i wasnt able to see a whole lot of the game, but last night from what i did see and read about wasn't really the typical style we play, anyway. it was a smart road game against a team we lost to twice already and we needed to make some adjustments. even if we were .500 i wouldn't think many games were bad. there have been maybe ten games out of the 30-35 i've watched this year that were really boring hockey games. it happens in an 82 game season.
They forechecked hard, caused turnovers in the neutral zone and stayed out of the box by and large. How is that not this teams style of play?

01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Levitate

It's boring for other teams because the Rangers do a good job taking the puck away and controlling the pace when they're on their game. Of course that's freakin' boring if you don't have the puck very much, and it's boring to watch if you're a fan of the team that's getting stuffed like that

But the Rangers themselves, they're a physical team that works the forecheck hard and looks to create offense off of their transition game whenever they can. And if they can't get in cleanly, they dump the puck and forecheck. So, yeah, they're not exciting in that they're always carrying the puck in and making crazy passes all over the place (and turning the puck over all the time), but they control the puck well which is entertaining if you're a Rangers fan, and boring if you're not.

That's pretty much it

e: firewagon, back and forth hockey is exciting but you dont' win championships with it these days.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
RangersInSeven

This is the least boring Rangers team I've watched in 15+ years. Maybe I'm biased.

Objectively speaking I don't think they're a boring team either. Hard working, disciplined, physical and an aggressive forecheck. What's not to like about that?

RangersInSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:30 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
They forechecked hard, caused turnovers in the neutral zone and stayed out of the box by and large. How is that not this teams style of play?
those three bullet points are within the teams concept, for sure. from what i have read on tsn and within the GDT, we played a more suffocating style in the neutral zone and sat back a bit once we had a lead and forced them to dump a lot of pucks in and chase. the way we played with the lead seems to have been different than in some other games. like i said i didn't watch a whole lot, and the part of the game i did see i was at a bar.

on a side note, it's been good to us able to play with a lead. in the past x amount of years we had a problem in that area.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
those three bullet points are within the teams concept, for sure. from what i have read on tsn and within the GDT, we played a more suffocating style in the neutral zone and sat back a bit once we had a lead and forced them to dump a lot of pucks in and chase. the way we played with the lead seems to have been different than in some other games. like i said i didn't watch a whole lot, and the part of the game i did see i was at a bar.

on a side note, it's been good to us able to play with a lead. in the past x amount of years we had a problem in that area.
uh, Rangers style has always been to play a suffocating style in the neutral zone when they can. The idea is to get the puck back as soon as they lose it and turn right back to offense...either create a rush off that turnover, or put it deep and forecheck again

Again, it's boring if you're the Leafs since they couldn't get anything going, but it was entertaining enough

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
rholt168
Hank**3

It's not boring from the Rangers side, they completely dominated that game. It's only boring for the Leafs because they couldn't do anything. It's completely different from the Devils style of hockey where no one gets any scoring chances.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Richards to Gaborik

I called the Devils of years ago a boring team.. but they were also a winning team. Ironic that we are apparently like that now, but I would much rather be a winning team and boring then losing/exciting.

Richards to Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Guess some little writer from Toronto is ******** we completely shut his leafs down at home

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
I called the Devils of years ago a boring team.. but they were also a winning team. Ironic that we are apparently like that now, but I would much rather be a winning team and boring then losing/exciting.
Who wouldn't? Well aside form Clarke Macwhiner and the rest of the leafs that is.

01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I'm a Flyers fan, and I agree that the Rangers play a "boring" style, but they sure do have some exciting players, such as Gaborik, Richards, Callahan, Dubinsky, and Lundqvist. Plus, it doesn't exactly suck being at the top of the conference.
Except we are not the Devils who used a 1-2-2. We put 2 in deep every time we dump in. We are a high pressure forecheck team. There is no way this team is boring. It may be boring to some Flyers fan who is bored of losing to us all the time. I could see knowing that your team is going to lose to us before you step on the ice is pretty boring.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:51 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Winning ain't boring.
OMG...we've become the Devils

No, all kidding aside, they play an aggressive dump and chase rather than sit back and clog the zone.

They have five d-mem who can move the puck.

But overall, they arent a fast team, so the style suits them.

Macarthur needs to check himself. You play for a year-in, year-out loser. Leafs fans would kill to have made the playoffs (going on) 6 of 7 years since the lockout.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:54 PM
OverTheCap

Seeing the Rangers work hard, get in on the forecheck, and put forth a great effort consistently is entertaining to me. From the likes of Kamensky and Quintal to players such as Gomez and Kotalik, Rangers fans have seen a lot of mercenaries through the years that just float around and are content to collect a paycheck. This team works their butts off, and has done so on a regular basis since 2010, and it's extremely satisfying to watch.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:59 PM
HockeyBurd*

Oh, there's no doubt it's boring for the losing team. But there's nothing boring about being aggressive and capitalizing on mistakes with aggression and intensity. If the Rangers are boring, playoff hockey must be boring. Because they essentially play playoff hockey game in and game out. Hopefully they are conditioned well enough to last the entire season playing that way. But it's going to get tougher as other teams start tightening things up.

In any case, Gaborik isn't boring. And they do have some young nifty players. They have scored many a gorgeous goal this season. Lots of nifty passing plays. Lots of odd man rushes.

But it is certainly boring for the losing team. And the losing players. That's the sucky part about being a big fat loser.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Winning ain't boring.
Exactly.

Teams *****ed about the devils being boring when they were winning their Cups. Ask Devil's fan how they felt.

Winning ain't boring.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Pre-Lockout
Forechecking and grinding = exciting hockey
Trapping = Boring hockey

Today's NHL
Forechecking and grinding = boring hockey
Playing no defense and playing fancy/pansy hockey = exciting hockey

or maybe

Rangers losing = Exciting to non-Rangers fans
Rangers winning = Boring to non-Rangers fans

Let them hate.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:04 PM
SnowblindNYR

The Rangers play some boring games, but I don't think yesterday's was one. I can see how you think a game is boring if you're a Leafs fan. I'm sure they weren't excited by the 3 on 1 goal and the partial breakaway goal. I thought that the Sens game was boring, but I wasn't excited by the Sens goals. See a trend here, the team that gets shutout will always say it's a boring game.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:05 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
The Rangers play some boring games, but I don't think yesterday's was one. I can see how you think a game is boring if you're a Leafs fan. I'm sure they weren't excited by the 3 on 1 goal and the partial breakaway goal. I thought that the Sens game was boring, but I wasn't excited by the Sens goals. See a trend here, the team that gets shutout will always say it's a boring game.
Our boring games are usually when we are losing, because it usually means our passing game can't get going and we just look sloppy.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:08 PM
beastly115

Only reason Toronto thought it was boring was because they weren't scoring LOL. We scored 3 goals, wasn't boring to me.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Nyrvana

Absolutely we play some boring games, everyone does. But, normally it's when we don't score and can't pass the puck all day. I was at the Dallas Stars game at the garden, one of the most boring sporting events I've ever been to. Sometimes all the board play can be very repetitive. But, we're winning.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:32 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

It's not boring at all; I find a lot of the defensive plays quite cerebral and satisfying as well as the counters. It's smart hockey.

The PP though...well, that's boringly bad!

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Pre-Lockout
Forechecking and grinding = exciting hockey
Trapping = Boring hockey

Today's NHL
Forechecking and grinding = boring hockey
Playing no defense and playing fancy/pansy hockey = exciting hockey

or maybe

Rangers losing = Exciting to non-Rangers fans
Rangers winning = Boring to non-Rangers fans

Let them hate.
Basically this. Defense is boring to people. Like I said in a previous post, people like the high speed scoring game aka Edmonton. It's getting them another lottery chance.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

No. Just no. The leafs were dominated, and we trapped them in their own zone for most of the game. Only they were chipping the puck into the zone. MacArthur is just a sore loser

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote