HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Awesome tweet by Cassie Campbell, ref: Alfie.

Old
01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Alfie should sign an 11 year deal.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:45 AM
sensR4real

vCash: 500
Why wait till next year??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
We can do it, we can win the cup next year.

We'll have more older prospects arriving and we can add an UFA this offseason. Why not? Let's just win the cup with Alfie.

sensR4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSandwiches View Post
I doubt it's even a salary issue for Alfredsson, just his health and ability to contribute to the team.
There are also other factors too. When you're 39, the amount of time and effort you have to put into the offseason so you can prepare for the rigors of a 82 game season is extremely trying. Also keep in mind that he has four children and he might feel that this could be the perfect season to end with - leading a team picked by "experts" to finish dead last into the playoffs (potentially), being captain of the All-star team, finishing around 70 points (hopefully!). Some athletes would love to go out on top.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:47 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Considering the yr he is having he might just come back for the last yr of his contract but if he does I would expect that Melnyk will buyout & renegotiate his deal to at least what he makes this yr. I hope he comes back it, would be good to see him play with the two swedes coming over next season.

There is always the possibility of trading him to a team that may have a better shot at winning the cup than Ottawa. I can only really think of the Bruins or Vancouver or Detroit right now but with Ottawa playing so well it`s hard to imagine him leaving or being traded. He may want to go out on a high but it`s winning cups that matter rather than a good regular season, nobody remembers good regular seasons they remember cups. This team has become very entertaining on the ice & very interesting off the ice to talk about.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:58 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
This is awesome, and count me on board the 'One more year' chant train. I think with the way this season's gone, it's pretty much a given that Alfie is not going anywhere by the deadline.

As for the salary issue, we all know that what he makes if he plays next year means nothing to him. He and his family are set for life (and then some). He only cares about feeling good and the team being competitive. Alfie is one hell of a role model.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Considering the yr he is having he might just come back for the last yr of his contract but if he does I would expect that Melnyk will buyout & renegotiate his deal to at least what he makes this yr. I hope he comes back it, would be good to see him play with the two swedes coming over next season.

There is always the possibility of trading him to a team that may have a better shot at winning the cup than Ottawa. I can only really think of the Bruins or Vancouver or Detroit right now but with Ottawa playing so well it`s hard to imagine him leaving or being traded. He may want to go out on a high but it`s winning cups that matter rather than a good regular season, nobody remembers good regular seasons they remember cups. This team has become very entertaining on the ice & very interesting off the ice to talk about.
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can instantly renegotiate a contract with a player you just bought out.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:10 PM
pdog1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can instantly renegotiate a contract with a player you just bought out.
"Contracts can be bought out for two-thirds of the remaining value for players over the age of 26, and one-third of the remaining value for players under 26. Players who are bought out cannot return to the old team for at least one year."

SOURCE: http://proicehockey.about.com/od/the...y_cap_expl.htm

pdog1979 is offline   Reply With Quote