HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POLL: Lombardi At The Trading Deadline

Old
01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
voynov26

vCash: 500
POLL: Lombardi At The Trading Deadline

I am curious to find out what our fans would like to see as the trading deadline approaches. Given our depth or lack thereof.

A poll would be great but since I am new it seems like I don't have any access yet.

So here we go. What would you like our GM to do at the trading deadline:

a. Stay on course and do nothing.
b, Trade for a scorer/sniper that might cost a steep price.
c. Trade for a depth player at Wing that can chip in some goals and help maybe Loktionov or on our fourth line that might just cost us a 2nd or 3rd pick or a prospect.

What's your take?

voynov26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

C. Although Hunter has been playing better, I still think that is a spot that can be upgraded. In case of an injury, we only have Westgarth who can be inserted at forward. Even if it's just a Modin-type depth addition, I hope we add a veteran who won't hurt us at that spot.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:17 PM
DaAnimal

i honestly think one of our Dman will be moved, along with stoll or williams.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:18 PM
voynov26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
C. Although Hunter has been playing better, I still think that is a spot that can be upgraded. In case of an injury, we only have Westgarth who can be inserted at forward. Even if it's just a Modin-type depth addition, I hope we add a veteran who won't hurt us at that spot.
To be honest, I feel we need to add 2 pieces. Gagne's replacement and what you just said. But I would prefer a player who can chip in some goals centere by Loktionov. That would give us IMO depth scoring we need to go far in the playoffs.

About Westgarth, we can either put Lewis or Richardson if we get that player I am talking about.

Edit: But I will be happy just as long as Dean makes a "sensible move" and not do nothing.

voynov26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Honestly I would not be surprised if he traded FOR a d-man.
Can never have enough depth.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Don't see a major trade happening.

Stoll, Martinez, and Bernier and maybe a pick/prospect is a package I'd shop around for a legit bonafide scorer but I think they are few and far between.

DL will likely look for a cheaper rental offensive forward and maybe a 3rd line grinder type.

Tuomo Ruutu and Moen are guys I 'd like LA to target if available.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:03 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Trade for long-term acquisitions if there's a fit to be found, especially up front. Don't bother with rentals unless there's a Modin type deal to be had. I don't think this team is ready to make that big push for the cup so keep the assets for a better year.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Iginla or Nash

Hopes of signing Parise are pretty much nothing anymore now that the Devils are playing well.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:14 PM
acrethrills

Tuomo Ruutu has been mentioned already, I'll second that suggestion.

15 goals on a bad Carolina team. He's a center naturally, so we'd have to switch someone around to get him on a wing.

He's gritty like DB though, it would be nice if he had more pure skill.

acrethrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:22 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Another mention for Tuomo Ruutu here.

Moen or LaRose would be nice for our bottom 6.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:04 PM
HeadInjury

I agree with those that say the bottom 6 is the bigger concern. I am not a fan of giving up a lot for an impact player.

I do wonder what DL's plans are with Stoll and Penner. I assume he will hold on to Penner as the return wouldn't be enough to justify it. Not sure what he will do with Stoll.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:06 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

C, possibly B. I believe both Stoll and Martinez will be moved at the deadline.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:57 PM
kingsdarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
C, possibly B. I believe both Stoll and Martinez will be moved at the deadline.
Is there honestly any chance we move Bernier?

kingsdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Right now it's very unlikely we move or get any piece. Bernier's too important as a backup, we don't have that much cap space and even if we did and tried to get a first line winger, it would be a rental anyways.

The only player I would deal for is Shea Weber...with him we could deal away a couple of roster d-men and a D prospect. But only if we felt we could sign him.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:46 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
B. Kings are in win now mode. You dont trade Schenn and Simmonds if you are rebuilding or even standing pat. That deal was done with one purpose in mind, to win, sooner than later. Kings have a solid core and really only need a couple pieces, maybe even only one, to win in the playoffs.

I think from a management perspective, its second round of the playoffs or bust this year. Minimum. And the Kings need to score more goals to make that happen. So expect some movement at the deadline for sure.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
If the Kings keep this up, B. They will definitely try. If there are any slip ups and semi-prolonged losing streaks, the team will go with option C and head into the playoffs like they did in 09-10 and take their chances that way.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
B. Kings are in win now mode. You dont trade Schenn and Simmonds if you are rebuilding or even standing pat. That deal was done with one purpose in mind, to win, sooner than later. Kings have a solid core and really only need a couple pieces, maybe even only one, to win in the playoffs.

I think from a management perspective, its second round of the playoffs or bust this year. Minimum. And the Kings need to score more goals to make that happen. So expect some movement at the deadline for sure.
I hope you are right though Schenn and Simmonds are in now way nor were they ever high prospects IMO despite 95% of people around here.
By the way, I want some of that water you drink Jimmy," the kind that gets you loaded"
lol.
Love trailer park boys

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
We are looking for B, but depending on the market we may settle for C. Lombardi was right that with our young core, there is no gun to our head to make a very risky deal, but at the same time, we are set and ready to contend. Just about all the pieces are in place. We won't be a seller for a while, and are purely in buy now mode. We aren't looking for rentals, but we will be interested in the blockbuster deal for a star winger. Dean is looking for a top 3 winger pure and simple. Let's see what he does...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:19 AM
Hollywood

Dean should be trading one of our current top 6 plus prospects and draft picks and acquiring 2 new top 6 players. Otherwise, it's a "Thank you come again" for our team.
I really think we need top line talent with Kopitar. He needs the help.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:29 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by voynov26 View Post
I am curious to find out what our fans would like to see as the trading deadline approaches. Given our depth or lack thereof.

A poll would be great but since I am new it seems like I don't have any access yet.

So here we go. What would you like our GM to do at the trading deadline:

a. Stay on course and do nothing.
b, Trade for a scorer/sniper that might cost a steep price.
c. Trade for a depth player at Wing that can chip in some goals and help maybe Loktionov or on our fourth line that might just cost us a 2nd or 3rd pick or a prospect.

What's your take?
If gagne returns and can make a significant contribution, then (a) is a option.

The list of players worth option (b) is a very short list and not worth it unless the player is signed long term to a cap friendly hit. I can't think of one player that fits that description

Option (c) might not be necessary if gagne comes back strong. Our 4th line has been playing great. So has our third line. Biggest question is who sits when gagne comes back?

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:22 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
We are looking for B, but depending on the market we may settle for C. Lombardi was right that with our young core, there is no gun to our head to make a very risky deal, but at the same time, we are set and ready to contend. Just about all the pieces are in place. We won't be a seller for a while, and are purely in buy now mode. We aren't looking for rentals, but we will be interested in the blockbuster deal for a star winger. Dean is looking for a top 3 winger pure and simple. Let's see what he does...
Im not sure I agree. What are you basing this on? Im thinking a rental would be the better way to go tbh. Would cost less and be less disruptive to the lineup and team chemistry. A blockbuster deal would surely be sending key pieces the other way. Im not sure how productive that would be. Most likely it would only serve to fill one hole by creating another.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:24 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Im not sure I agree. What are you basing this on? Im thinking a rental would be the better way to go tbh. Would cost less and be less disruptive to the lineup and team chemistry. A blockbuster deal would surely be sending key pieces the other way. Im not sure how productive that would be. Most likely it would only serve to fill one hole by creating another.
The Kings need long term options. History shows LA is an unattractive option for free agents and the current forward group has proved to be inadequate. The Kings don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year so mid-tier rentals will be hard to trade for. High end rentals should be reserved for when you're ready to make a strong playoff push but at this point the Kings look like another 1st round exit team.

A star winger would be in ideal acquisition but that's easier said than done. In the end, I'm guessing a rental is more likely than a star winger just due to how hard it is to trade for one of those. Whatever rental is traded for will most likely have to be a target for an extension.

Considering how much Lombardi focused on the word "the right fit" in recent interviews, he's gonna be picky about the players he tries to trade for. Better to do nothing or overpay for the right fit than just throw assets down the drain to get whomever is available, as was the case with the Penner trade.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Get whatever you can for Stoll, Penner and Hunter. If it's a stick bag, a couple of rolls of clear tape or late draft picks you need to maximize UFA players value. LA has always done horribly in this department, getting nothing for guys they know aren't coming back and the Kings don't want them back. You could trade all 3 of those guys and the team would not skip a beat. After Lombardi cleans up the mess he made (again), he could then go out and acquire a dynamic winger.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:20 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

How about D. Keep Penner away from the pancakes?

Seriously though, option C, unless there's a chance to land a skill player who isn't a rental and without giving up our 1st. So yeah, very likely option C.

I'd like to see us add a vet depth scoring option like Prospal (not saying to get Prospal, just giving an example and he's the only one that cam to mind) and maybe another depth forward for insurance in case of injuries, like Modin. In fact, if we could get a rental that is a big body and willing to go to the net, that would be nice. At least gives us a temporary replacement for Handzus/Simmonds on the 3rd line. Penner's been better of late but he's not getting the job done and Hunter just doesn't have it anymore.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:49 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Get whatever you can for Stoll, Penner and Hunter. If it's a stick bag, a couple of rolls of clear tape or late draft picks you need to maximize UFA players value. LA has always done horribly in this department, getting nothing for guys they know aren't coming back and the Kings don't want them back. You could trade all 3 of those guys and the team would not skip a beat. After Lombardi cleans up the mess he made (again), he could then go out and acquire a dynamic winger.
Trade Stoll, Penner, Hunter and not miss a beat? What, you expect King, Cliche and Kozun to be ready to hold their own down the stretch in the Western Conference, not to mention the playoffs?

Not that Stoll, Penner and Hunter have exactly been stars out there but they're proven and experienced NHL players. I guess if you're strictly talking about maximizing assets then I guess you could trade those guys for some draft picks but I'd argue it'd be worth more to at least give the team a chance to be competative, even if they're not gonna be Cup champs.