HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez's contractual situation...

Old
01-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Neutrino

vCash: 500
Gomez's contractual situation...

Hey guys, with all that trade and salary cap talk I was thinking about what it would take for us to bury gomez in the minors (that one substantial move we have to do in order to be able to properly reconstruct).

What are the exact conditions we would have to fulfill and also the total cost for the organization ? I am not really educated about the rules of the salary cap, buyouts, etc.

I guess my question is what would you do about Gomez's salary and what would be the best thing to do for the future ?

Thanks in advance !

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:37 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
No point until after new CBA is done. There may be a free buyout window.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Toshio
#FireTherrien

My guess is Gomez will be a Hab until his contract expires.

Toshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:41 AM
terreur

vCash: 50
Why should we get rid of gomez if we want to rebuild? He sucks, he will help us finish at the bottom of the league and his contract will expire when our team will start to flourish to sign our young players or the right UFA to help our team.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:16 AM
MrNasty

the only glimmer of hope (and it is just a glimmer) is that Gomez's salary for the next 2 years is 5.5 and 4.5 million respectively; well below his cap hit making the possibilty of unloading his salary to a team that needs to reach the cap floor.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I don't think Gomez will have any impact on our cap next year. His whole cap hit will be gone IMHO. Either waived and picked up or playing in another league. Buyout makes no sense because it would provide very little cap savings.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:24 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
the only glimmer of hope (and it is just a glimmer) is that Gomez's salary for the next 2 years is 5.5 and 4.5 million respectively; well below his cap hit making the possibilty of unloading his salary to a team that needs to reach the cap floor.
If his actual salary was closer to 2mil, than maybe yes... but at 5mil a year, he's still vastly overpaid... if you're a cash strapped team, you can't pay a 3rd liner that much.

Hopefully Molson will bury him in the minors and eat his salary.

To respond to the OP :

Buying him out, would cost the team dearly on the cap front (go on capgeek to see how much exactly).

Sending him to the AHL wouldn't count against the cap, but they would still have to pay his full salary (10mil over 2 years)... but Gomez HAS to play in Hamilton in order to be paid.

And like someone wrote there MIGHT be some possibilities to buy Gomez out without counting against the cap at the end of the current CBA... but, it's all speculation.

... btw, all better options than to keep his insane 7,35mil cap hit for 2 more years.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

Buying him out, would cost the team dearly on the cap front (go on capgeek to see how much exactly).

Sending him to the AHL wouldn't count against the cap, but they would still have to pay his full salary (10mil over 2 years)... but Gomez HAS to play in Hamilton in order to be paid.

And like someone wrote there MIGHT be some possibilities to buy Gomez out without counting against the cap at the end of the current CBA... but, it's all speculation.

... btw, all better options than to keep his insane 7,35mil cap hit for 2 more years.
Thanks.

So basically if we bury Gomez instead of buying him out the only difference is that the owner has to pay his salary and the cap space is freed up, instead of fitting the buyout amount under salary cap ?

Another question I was asking myself was can we bury him during the regular season or does it have to be done in the offseason ?

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
Thanks.

So basically if we bury Gomez instead of buying him out the only difference is that the owner has to pay his salary and the cap space is freed up, instead of fitting the buyout amount under salary cap ?

Another question I was asking myself was can we bury him during the regular season or does it have to be done in the offseason ?
Well, even if they buy him out, they still have to pay 2/3 of his salary.

Basically, you would pay 3,33mil more in order to have a better team on the ice, without being crippled by his salary cap... it makes no sense to buy him out right now.

As for sending him to the AHL, you can do that whenever you want, he just has to past threw waivers first... but you can't really call him up after, because if he gets claim, you're responsible for half his salary (and cap hit) until his contract is over.

You can't buy him during the season...

Old
01-15-2012, 11:29 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
What are the exact conditions we would have to fulfill and also the total cost for the organization ? I am not really educated about the rules of the salary cap, buyouts, etc.
Place him on waivers, when no one claims him send him to Hamilton. He would join Wade Redden in being high paid AHL players. Can you imagine if the Gomez trade never happened and he remained in New York. They would have had no hesitation sending him down.

Gomez's salary over the next 2 seasons is $5.5 and $4.5 million, respectively although he carries a cap hit of $7.3 million. If a team claims his on re-entry waivers they pay half his salary and gain all of his cap hit. This may be strategically beneficial for a team like Florida and the Islanders who struggle to get to the cap floor.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:47 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Place him on waivers, when no one claims him send him to Hamilton. He would join Wade Redden in being high paid AHL players. Can you imagine if the Gomez trade never happened and he remained in New York. They would have had no hesitation sending him down.

Gomez's salary over the next 2 seasons is $5.5 and $4.5 million, respectively although he carries a cap hit of $7.3 million. If a team claims his on re-entry waivers they pay half his salary and gain all of his cap hit. This may be strategically beneficial for a team like Florida and the Islanders who struggle to get to the cap floor.
I don't think that's true... Didn't happen with Avery, Dallas still had him on their salary cap (until this year, of course).

Old
01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
MXD

The thing with Gomez is that his whole salary takes the additionnal 10% of the 110% rule, which covers the offseason. And all players with 1-way contracts counts towards that "cap". 2-way contracts counts on a Day On Pro Rosters/Total Days in a Seasons formula. Which means that we'll have a guy like Louis Leblanc, whose salary will counts towards the cap (something like 100K, unless he's called up). Palushaj's and Engqvist contracts might count as well, but something tells me they won't be with the Habs past July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
He would join Wade Redden in being high paid AHL players. Can you imagine if the Gomez trade never happened and he remained in New York. They would have had no hesitation sending him down.
If a team claims his on re-entry waivers they pay half his salary and gain all of his cap hit. This may be strategically beneficial for a team like Florida and the Islanders who struggle to get to the cap floor.
New York would be in problem and would not be able to spend up the cap (in the summer), due to Redden and Gomez making more than 10% of the Salary Cap.

I can't believe how the Rangers were lucky to unload Gomez at this point !!! Basically, unloading Gomez prevents them from losing one of MDZ or McDonagh during the summer.

They gain his whole cap hit.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-15-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: merge
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Habanero514

I don't understand why the habs just don't buy out his contract. Other teams do it , why can't the habs?

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:58 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
I don't understand why the habs just don't buy out his contract. Other teams do it , why can't the habs?
Buying out a contract takes space on the cap.

Considering the Habs can spend up to the cap and that Gomez takes A LOT of cap space, I really hope Gomez is NOT bought out.

Last edited by MXD: 01-15-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Eh... Added NOT
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:59 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
because it's expensive as hell.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:01 PM
habcat

If and when the management deems that the Habs are done and have a sell off or fire sale the team may need Gomez' salary to get to the cap floor. With Markov and Gionta being off the books for most of the season it will dramatically take the cap room down.

I believe but am not 100% sure.

habcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:08 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
In that case, he might have some appeal at the deadline. The acquiring team could see him as a short term fix. Mind you, they would have to be desperate.

Maybe the team will continue to showcase him on a line with Pleks in the hope that it spurs some interest.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

I would tell Gomez's agent to talk to teams in Europe and loan him out to whichever team he prefers.

I'm sure Gomez would rather play in the Swiss League or something than in the AHL where he'd have to ride a bus for hours and hours to every game.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

There's 2 real possibilities.

Gomez is put on re-entry. Molson saves 5 mil over 2 years. Habs save half of 7.3 mil on the cap.

Gomez is traded for another buyout candidate of equal salary(not cap). Think commodore in Columbus who had near 4 mil avg salary who got bought out. Maybe Gomez would've been more beneficial to them considering they wouldve buyout an equal ish salary anyway.

Buyout is unlikely. They save what? 3 mil over 2 years? The caphit is still terrible, molson doesn't profit and getting another 3rd liner will end up bringing up back to square one.

Bury to minors? Doubt molson wants to pay 10 mil. Molson is paying jm contract and now Gomez for free too? I doubt he's interested.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Hopefully, they'll waive him and bury him in the minors.

There is always the chance he doesn't report and breaks his contract. If this happens, we can release him and Geoff Molson won't have to spend a penny on Gomez's contract. Gomez would be free to sign with any other team in the NHL. Gomez would probably loose a lot of money, but at the same time, it could be a wise decision because spending 2 years in the AHL would basically kill his chance of coming back in the NHL.

I'm not saying this will happen but it's not completely impossible.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:00 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Most likely scenario I think would be he gets put on re-entry waivers and we save the $3.65 mill a year if he gets claimed. I think management/ownership has too much respect to send a veteran guy like Gomez to the minors even though he's been horrible, would be awesome if they had the balls to bury him though.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 01:09 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
This is the most logical thing I've read thus far.

Buying him out would be the worst solution IMO because we'd still be stuck with a portion of his salary on the cap for yrs to come. Anyway there's no rush to send him down this season because we don't need the cap room because we suck and we don't need to add anyone for a playoff run. Gomez's contract will only become an issue if we need to resign guys this summer and then sign some free agents. But I have a feeling that the Habs may shed enough salary prior to the trade deadline in order for there to be enough room to make the necessary signings and hold on to Gomez in the event there's no free buyout window.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

well...

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
well...
only 1 666 666$ in cap space for 4 years... not that bad
That's not the actual cap hit, this is what it would be:

12/13 - $3,523,810
13/14 - $4,523,810
14/15 - $1,666,667
16/17 - $1,666,667

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I would tell Gomez's agent to talk to teams in Europe and loan him out to whichever team he prefers.

I'm sure Gomez would rather play in the Swiss League or something than in the AHL where he'd have to ride a bus for hours and hours to every game.
for 7.5 millions a year he can do like Redden and suffers a bit.
I don't see him going in europe for a fraction of the price.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote