HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings @ Flames 4-1W 1/14/12 Postgame THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
No wonder Sutter got a weird aggressive rap in Calgary...media induced no doubt...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...085/story.html

Last edited by Jason Lewis: 01-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old
01-15-2012, 01:47 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
i love it when fantasy hockey mongrels take arguments onto hockey boards. Clifford must be doing terrible too right? He's only a 7 point player. As was Simmonds being only a 30-40 point player. Nothing interesting there.

This is why players like Handzus are so undervalued. Big guy blocking the goalie's eyes in front of the net makes everybody around him score more, but he doesn't get a point a third of the time. All the while people just sit on their Yahoo! stats page to justify their opinions.

I think Loktionov is doing just fine. His line is fantastic, even if they're not scoring. I couldn't be more pleased. He's not spectacular, but it's his first year. Not every rookie is going to look like Doughty or Voynov, it really is hard to taper expectations after getting spoiled.
I love it when posters can't seem to read and draw idiotic conclusions as a result. I for one have never done anything with fantasy hockey and have no desire to particpate in it. And, since when does Clifford have the same role as Lokti? You aren't really going to use that as an argument for lack of production are you?
You couldn't be more pleased? Really? Not even 1 measly goal? Just one?

Old
01-15-2012, 01:52 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGolfer View Post
Success is measured by goals and assists?
Success is measured by wins. Goals and assists are excellent metrics for top 6 forwards.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
Success is measured by wins. Goals and assists are excellent metrics for top 6 forwards.
But he's not playing in the top6 with top 6 forwards.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:57 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
But he's not playing in the top6 with top 6 forwards.
That's his role. He is not a bottom 6er.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Give Loktionov some time, the points will come. Right now he's learning how to be a complete center. He's looking more and more comfortable out there and I like the connection that he seems to have found with Richardson and Lewis.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
That's his role. He is not a bottom 6er.
If his role is top 6-er then why is he not playing in the top 6 right now? Could it be that he is still developing and we need to be patient and appreciate his play at the level it currently is at (not yet top 6 but developing that way) instead saying he hasn't been good?

Hmmmmmm

Old
01-15-2012, 02:17 PM
HookKing

Quote:
If his role is top 6-er then why is he not playing in the top 6 right now? Could it be that he is still developing and we need to be patient and appreciate his play at the level it currently is at (not yet top 6 but developing that way) instead saying he hasn't been good?

Hmmmmmm
You have some good points. And I am not saying he has been bad by any means -- but hardly excellent. I am fine with giving him more time -- he isn't hurting the team and the speed line has a niche role. However, if he wants to stay on the team he needs to compete harder and be a difference maker -- although he may never be tough enough to make that happen.

Do the Kings even have a top 6? According to most posters Kopitar and Richards are also playing with a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
You have some good points. And I am not saying he has been bad by any means -- but hardly excellent. I am fine with giving him more time -- he isn't hurting the team and the speed line has a niche role. However, if he wants to stay on the team he needs to compete harder and be a difference maker -- although he may never be tough enough to make that happen.

Do the Kings even have a top 6? According to most posters Kopitar and Richards are also playing with a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners.
TO me this is why you are 100% wrong.

Loktionov has battled in the last 10 games as hard as any other guy on the ice and has slowly started to develop his game in the NHL. He has shown real strength in the corners and real strength at holding on to the puck even when under pressure.

And as to the 2nd bolded part and some of your other posts.

Pretty sure that just tells me you are a typical self deprecating Kings fan who regardless of the Kings successes you will always be the first to point out that we've never won a cup. And that something is always wrong with the team and they aren't any good or as good as they should be and none of us see the truth because "the bar has been set so low" because of years of terrible ness.

So it's no use wasting my time arguing with you because you are always going to just bring the team down to a level of mediocrity, or it's players down to a level of mediocrity to humor yourself or in a manner of speaking lick your own wounds for following the team for so long with little success.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:36 PM
topliner967

I thought this was the best game so far by the Richards line. If they keep the lines intact (don't see why they wouldn't, except a return by Gagne), I really think Penner can get some goals here in the latter part of the season.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Chazz Reinhold

I think HookKing needs to go watch HNIC's post-game coverage of the game and their focus on Loktionov's work on the backcheck...

Old
01-15-2012, 02:50 PM
HookKing

Quote:
TO me this is why you are 100% wrong.

Loktionov has battled in the last 10 games as hard as any other guy on the ice and has slowly started to develop his game in the NHL. He has shown real strength in the corners and real strength at holding on to the puck even when under pressure.

And as to the 2nd bolded part and some of your other posts.

Pretty sure that just tells me you are a typical self deprecating Kings fan who regardless of the Kings successes you will always be the first to point out that we've never won a cup. And that something is always wrong with the team and they aren't any good or as good as they should be and none of us see the truth because "the bar has been set so low" because of years of terrible ness.

So it's no use wasting my time arguing with you because you are always going to just bring the team down to a level of mediocrity, or it's players down to a level of mediocrity to humor yourself or in a manner of speaking lick your own wounds for following the team for so long with little success.
I think it is you with the loser mentality, enthusiastically accepting mediocrity and calling it a success. As for a cup -- it won't change my life one bit. I watch hockey to be entertained. Period. Winning teams are more entertaining. It's that simple.

Old
01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I think it is you with the loser mentality, enthusiastically accepting mediocrity and calling it a success. As for a cup -- it won't change my life one bit. I watch hockey to be entertained. Period. Winning teams are more entertaining. It's that simple.
Thanks for qualifying my post about you. I couldn't have done it any better then you just did. Keep on self-loathing my man.

Old
01-15-2012, 03:28 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
I for one have never done anything with fantasy hockey and have no desire to particpate in it.
Forgive the assumption, but if it walks like a duck.... This kind of irrational focus on assists and goals combined with sweeping statements concluding how players suck because they aren't scoring is a giant neon sign that flashes "fantasy analysis" = stats trump all when it comes to evaluating a player.

Fantasy hockey has done more to ruin intelligent hockey conversation than anything else over the past decade. "so and so sucks.... and the reason is he doesn't score enough".

Kopitars scoring droughts are an annual tradition, but saying he sucks because of it is ridiculous. Any team would still kill to have him for his d-zone play alone. Loktionov had a terrific game last night by doing things that enable the rest of the team to have success, and he's been doing it for several games now.

If you can't see that, even after I post a video that blatantly points out just one example of it... you can see why so few are taking your opinion seriously.

Old
01-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
I love what's happening with Loktionov right now. You can see him getting more comfortable in all facets of the game. He can get minutes and be brought along slowly while learning that it takes tremendous effort at both ends for a guy like him to excel. Reminds me of another frail Russian who spent a few years plugging away on the lower lines, and then emerged into super star status when he got his shot. Pavel Datsyuk.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
For those of you who like to blame coaches for Kings' poor play, I sure haven't heard much from the "fire Kompon" crowd lately.

Just saying.
As Sydor said, Kompon is no longer in charge. Here are the MOST important Kings PP milestones ...

1. First Sutter's game as Kings coach, team timeout, Kompon explaining the plan with the board:
For first time in 3 years head coach looked VERY interested to see what Kompon is saying. He wasn't 3 meters away like Murray, leaving everything to Kompon. He was right there with Kompon, as intense as always and you could see that he is thinking about everything Kompon is drawing. At that time I knew that if Kompon is really the problem, it won't be long till problem is resolved.

2. Sutter talks to PP units alone during Kings practice. About powerplay. I remember one interview with Murray, where he said that he leaves all PP related things to Kompon, he doesn't bother with it all. And I remember Sutter being described as "hands-on" coach.

3. Kings hire BN as some kind of offense expert and it has been said that he talks to players about PP a lot.

4. Couple of games ago, team timeout with PP...
Sutter is explaining the plan by himself, with the board. Not only that Kompon doesn't say anything, he is not even close.

Now between 1 and 4 something had to change, correct? This has ALWAYS been Kompon's job so at some point Sutter had to tell him: "Listen, I will instruct players about this PP."

So yeah, that is why you don't hear FIRE KOMPON anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I wonder if DL still is standing by his accsation that Murray is the right guy for the Kings and that "the players fired" him. Murray is making all the right moves and is reaching his players. I love seeing the fatherly coaching. He is very good for our young guys and the stud dmen seem to really be responding to him and his use of them.
You meant Sutter, not Murray right? Lombardi will still stand by that, because he has to. Officially. Even if he has changed his mind, he will not say so.

Regarding the game, it was great to watch. All players were hustling and the way our forwards are just EVERYWHERE amazes me. I am glad that Greene bounced back because he had a TERRIBLE first period. Yeah, he had a big hit but he had too many errors that almost proved to be costly.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:53 PM
chesed

Quote:
No wonder Sutter got a weird aggressive rap in Calgary...media induced no doubt...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...085/story.html
Wow... that's annoying as hell to read.

Such blatant twisting and embellishment of his statements.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesed View Post

Right?

Super annoying. Feels like the reporter just has an axe to grind or an angle to sell.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:02 PM
SDGolfer

Quote:
success is doing the job you're asked well, winning is a by-product of that.
goals and assists alone do not win hockey games.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesed View Post

Terrible and I read it before I saw the link in this thread. I just knew we were talking about the same article. You can't blame Sutter for being in war with them. LA reporters are saying that Sutter has been surprisingly available and in good mood - so far.

Old
01-15-2012, 06:05 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGolfer View Post
success is doing the job you're asked well, winning is a by-product of that.
goals and assists alone do not win hockey games.
No it's not. In pro sports success is winning -- period. If you are a 5'10 179 pound center and not a shutdown type center you better contribute to scoring or you won't last.

Old
01-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I love what's happening with Loktionov right now. You can see him getting more comfortable in all facets of the game. He can get minutes and be brought along slowly while learning that it takes tremendous effort at both ends for a guy like him to excel. Reminds me of another frail Russian who spent a few years plugging away on the lower lines, and then emerged into super star status when he got his shot. Pavel Datsyuk.
If he can stay the course and keep building towards that he can take all the time he needs. I'm noticing an elevation in his play of late too, the scoring will follow in time. Effort and understanding are just as important to him.

Old
01-15-2012, 06:06 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
No it's not. In pro sports success is winning -- period. If you are a 5'10 179 pound center and not a shutdown type center you better contribute to scoring or you won't last.
Buddy,

Watch the games at least....if you don't think Lotkionov is contributing, then you clearly are either not watching the games, or don't have a clear understanding of how you can contribute and not be on the score sheet.

Old
01-15-2012, 06:11 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Forgive the assumption, but if it walks like a duck.... This kind of irrational focus on assists and goals combined with sweeping statements concluding how players suck because they aren't scoring is a giant neon sign that flashes "fantasy analysis" = stats trump all when it comes to evaluating a player.

Fantasy hockey has done more to ruin intelligent hockey conversation than anything else over the past decade. "so and so sucks.... and the reason is he doesn't score enough".

Kopitars scoring droughts are an annual tradition, but saying he sucks because of it is ridiculous. Any team would still kill to have him for his d-zone play alone. Loktionov had a terrific game last night by doing things that enable the rest of the team to have success, and he's been doing it for several games now.

If you can't see that, even after I post a video that blatantly points out just one example of it... you can see why so few are taking your opinion seriously.
Where did I say that? Do you read posts before responding to them? BTW, I have been defending Kopitar drought or not. Doughty as well.

Old
01-15-2012, 06:16 PM
KingLB

Not to imbed myself in this arguement, but if you have Richie and Lewis as your wingers, your never gonna get stats. You can/will absolutely dominate shifts with their speed, but combined they convert like 1 out of every 10 chances.

Closed Thread