HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Will Stepan get extended in June?

Old
01-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Stepanformayor*

vCash: 500
Will Stepan get extended in June?

Does Sather extend Stepan or wait tell next year, and how does it work. I see Tampa extended Hedman for 6 years. Does sather typically extend guys or not?

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:01 AM
broadwayblue

He's got one more year on his ELC I believe. Then he's RFA. So I think they'll likely wait until next year. Then they'll likely get a deal done that will include his RFA years AND a couple of UFA years as well.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
He's got one more year on his ELC I believe. Then he's RFA. So I think they'll likely wait until next year. Then they'll likely get a deal done that will include his RFA years AND a couple of UFA years as well.
Sather will do his usual Sather thing where he signs him for 2 years or something at a low price. Then, in the final RFA year, he'll sign him long term.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Does Sather extend Stepan or wait tell next year, and how does it work. I see Tampa extended Hedman for 6 years. Does sather typically extend guys or not?
I wouldn't be surprised. The longer he waits the more expensive it will get.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Sather will do his usual Sather thing where he signs him for 2 years or something at a low price. Then, in the final RFA year, he'll sign him long term.
Yep. If you don't have arbitration rights, you aren't getting a big contract. Once the player has their arbitration rights, then they will get a nice pay day. Just how it works with Sather.

01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Stepanformayor*

After his ELC is up,do the Rangers have to match an offer sheet from another team?

Old
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
After his ELC is up,do the Rangers have to match an offer sheet from another team?
How are we supposed to know? It's possible, but let's see how he produces at first. So far he has produced one 45 point season and is on pace for a 55 point season. That's by far the most we've seen from any player the Rangers have had in some time that is still on an entry level contract.

Let's compare Stepan to recent players on the Rangers.

Dubinsky's ELC expired and he signed a 2 year $1,850,000 contract.

Callahan's ELC expired and he signed a 2 year $2,300,000 contract.

Anisimov's ELC expired and he signed a 2 year $1,875,000 contract.

Of the 3 players mentioned, only Callahan was eligible for arbitration, thus making him the highest paid of the 3 players mentioned.

In 3 seasons, Callahan produced 59 points 147 NHL games.

In 3 seasons, Dubinsky produced 81 points in 170 NHL games.

In 3 seasons, Anisimov produced 72 points in 165 NHL games.

Continuing the logic that Stepan will hit 55 points this season, 10 more than last season, let's assume he continues on pace for a 10 point increase. Let's also assume Stepan does not suffer any injuries this season or next.

Stepan will have produced 165 points in 246 NHL games. While that is the most games any of the 3 mentioned players, it's also the highest production in total and season by season.

Stepan's worth can be approximated from anywhere from $3,000,000 to $4,500,000. That's if his ELC expires. Sather can probably get away with a cheaper deal if he signs him after this season. Let's see how things work out first. If Stepan stays on his current production or if it jumps, teams might take interest, but his value will go up. I wouldn't be surprised if Stepan got extended, but if he does get extended, I assume it will be mid next season.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
If Stepan does not accept the qualifying offer, than yes, other teams can make an offer. The Rangers would have the right to match it.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Stepanformayor*

So Brooklyn, If Step had 55 points this year and 65 next year than the Islanders can make an offer on Step if he turns down the Ranger offer? Is that why Tampa extended Hedman? I guess it makes sense to try to extend him if he has a 55-60 point season this year. Ok I get it. Thank you guys.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

The only guy with the Rangers I can remember getting an extension off the top of my head is Lundqvist...

Has there been anyone else?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Apparently its not common knowledge around here that contracts can't be "extended" in the NHL. A new contract can be signed but that can not occur until after Jan. 1st of the year the current contract expires.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The only guy with the Rangers I can remember getting an extension off the top of my head is Lundqvist...

Has there been anyone else?
Stepan is not going to get an extension before his ELC runs out. The CBA is expiring in September and it makes no sense for the team to negotiate without knowing what is in the new CBA.

And wasn't Lundqvist already on his second contract when the extension was negitiated? I'm not even sure players on an ELC can be signed to an extension before the end of the contract.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
So Brooklyn, If Step had 55 points this year and 65 next year than the Islanders can make an offer on Step if he turns down the Ranger offer? Is that why Tampa extended Hedman? I guess it makes sense to try to extend him if he has a 55-60 point season this year. Ok I get it. Thank you guys.
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. However, as I said above, I'm (a) not sure if it is even allowed under the current CBA to negitiate an extension in the middle of an ELC and (b) if it allowed, I would be very surprised if the Rangers negitiated an extension before the current CBA expired.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I think Stepan will get about 3.0M for his next contract. 2 years 6.2M.

Then he gets a bigger deal worth about 5 or so.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Stepan is not going to get an extension before his ELC runs out. The CBA is expiring in September and it makes no sense for the team to negotiate without knowing what is in the new CBA.

And wasn't Lundqvist already on his second contract when the extension was negitiated? I'm not even sure players on an ELC can be signed to an extension before the end of the contract.
Nah, he was still on his ELC. Also, I'm pretty sure he signed in January of his final year, not before his final year even started.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:55 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It will be a quiet summer with the CBA expiring in September. Whenever the new CBA is negotiated,we will probably see another signing period. Teams will operating blind in July not knowing the new rules. The NFL and NBA started training camp and players were still in the process of negotiating contracts. Those agreements didn't expire on the eve on training camp but the NHL teams will be cautious in how they spend their money until a new CBA is signed and ratified. The big free agents such as Parise will get their money in Minnesota,LA or Detroit. The lower level players will have to wait.

The Rangers have never signed a player to an extension with another year remaining on his contract.
The OP asked the same question over and over again.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
All i know is Stepan better get locked up for atleast 5-6 years.I dont care when it happens,as long as it happens

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I want a few years for Stepan. Try to keep him for the remainder of this window without killing the cap.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote