HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Darin olver

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2005, 06:59 AM
BLACKBURN

vCash: 500
Darin olver

I watched Olver play teh other night and I must say I was pleasantly suprised. he has GREAT hustle, constantly causing turn overs and some great wheels. He's not a big guy but is a good playmaker and extremely smart. I havnt heard too much about him on thisboard and so was wondering if other people have watched him and if so what their opinions of him were. He seems to be at the most a 3rd liner but you have to love his competivness and intelligence.

Have a good boxing day!

Old
12-26-2005, 02:33 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Your analysis of his skills was very accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
I watched Olver play teh other night and I must say I was pleasantly suprised. he has GREAT hustle, constantly causing turn overs and some great wheels. He's not a big guy but is a good playmaker and extremely smart. I havnt heard too much about him on thisboard and so was wondering if other people have watched him and if so what their opinions of him were. He seems to be at the most a 3rd liner but you have to love his competivness and intelligence.

Have a good boxing day!
I doubt he's a 3rd liner. I look at him in the Marc Savard mold. If he makes it, it will be as a 2nd line center. He lacks the grit though and I think 3rd 4th liners need to be your checkers and energy (bangers) lines. You may be able to break him in on one of those lines, but as a career, his skills say he's something more.

Old
12-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Olver is going to be a 2nd liner on our team one day.

Old
12-26-2005, 09:02 PM
in the hall

sounds like prucha

Old
12-26-2005, 09:11 PM
pld459666

Not sure I'd make a Savard comparison

Savard was an offensive whiz then and more importantly is now, whereas Olver is one pace to have his worst college season to date.

I know it's just 17 games, but that's half a college season.

I'd be surprised if the kid makes the NHL at all.

Old
12-26-2005, 09:26 PM
pld459666

right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Savard was an offensive whiz then and more importantly is now, whereas Olver is one pace to have his worst college season to date.

I know it's just 17 games, but that's half a college season.

I'd be surprised if the kid makes the NHL at all.

I'd rank Immonen, Bahensky, Graham, and Dubinsky and Helminen all ahead of Olver right now.

Actually I'd like to re-state the playing in the NHL comment. He may make the NHL, but I don't see it being with the Rangers.

Old
12-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
I'd rank Immonen, Bahensky, Graham, and Dubinsky and Helminen all ahead of Olver right now.

Actually I'd like to re-state the playing in the NHL comment. He may make the NHL, but I don't see it being with the Rangers.
Where's he going? If he can make the Rangers the Rangers will make room for him. Just like Prucha forced them to. (Not a comparison)

Old
12-27-2005, 05:23 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Olver is going to be a 2nd liner on our team one day.
As mentioned I have only seen him play a couple of times (once last season) and so could not make a detailed scouting report. It's good to hear other people think he has the skills to exceed my prediction. I really liked the look of the kid and he did seem pretty gritty, fouht through checks and was not afraid to grind along the boards.

Old
12-27-2005, 05:36 AM
pld459666

The problem is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Where's he going? If he can make the Rangers the Rangers will make room for him. Just like Prucha forced them to. (Not a comparison)
Prucha wasn't blocked by more talented and more developed wingers both in talent and maturity.

Prucha has had the luxury of playing in a Men's league for the last 3 seasons where as Olver has played on the college level.

Don't get me wrong, I like the product that college hockey produces, I just don't think that Olver is going to jump ahead of those mentioned. Especially when you look at this season. A season in which Olver should be getting better and his stats don't show that he is.

Old
12-27-2005, 07:41 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Or he'll get used as a trade asset, IF his development accelerates. But, I do agree with PLD that, right now, he's probably behind Immonen, Helminen, Graham, Dubinsky, Pyatt and Ryan on the depth charts. That's six centers right there. Blair Betts could easily be the third line center for the next decade. Plus, we don't know who the Rangers take in the first round in 2006...another center, perhaps? OTOH, it's great to have such competition, but, certainly not every propsect =, not even the quality ones, are going to make the Rangers.

Old
12-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Nich

like this kid a lot since i saw a few of his games....can def see a 2nd line center.

Closed Thread