HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Darin olver

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2005, 06:59 AM
  #1
BLACKBURN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Darin olver

I watched Olver play teh other night and I must say I was pleasantly suprised. he has GREAT hustle, constantly causing turn overs and some great wheels. He's not a big guy but is a good playmaker and extremely smart. I havnt heard too much about him on thisboard and so was wondering if other people have watched him and if so what their opinions of him were. He seems to be at the most a 3rd liner but you have to love his competivness and intelligence.

Have a good boxing day!

BLACKBURN is offline  
Old
12-26-2005, 02:33 PM
  #2
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Your analysis of his skills was very accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
I watched Olver play teh other night and I must say I was pleasantly suprised. he has GREAT hustle, constantly causing turn overs and some great wheels. He's not a big guy but is a good playmaker and extremely smart. I havnt heard too much about him on thisboard and so was wondering if other people have watched him and if so what their opinions of him were. He seems to be at the most a 3rd liner but you have to love his competivness and intelligence.

Have a good boxing day!
I doubt he's a 3rd liner. I look at him in the Marc Savard mold. If he makes it, it will be as a 2nd line center. He lacks the grit though and I think 3rd 4th liners need to be your checkers and energy (bangers) lines. You may be able to break him in on one of those lines, but as a career, his skills say he's something more.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
12-26-2005, 07:31 PM
  #3
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,435
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Olver is going to be a 2nd liner on our team one day.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
12-26-2005, 09:02 PM
  #4
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,007
vCash: 500
sounds like prucha

in the hall is offline  
Old
12-26-2005, 09:11 PM
  #5
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,233
vCash: 500
Not sure I'd make a Savard comparison

Savard was an offensive whiz then and more importantly is now, whereas Olver is one pace to have his worst college season to date.

I know it's just 17 games, but that's half a college season.

I'd be surprised if the kid makes the NHL at all.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
12-26-2005, 09:26 PM
  #6
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,233
vCash: 500
right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Savard was an offensive whiz then and more importantly is now, whereas Olver is one pace to have his worst college season to date.

I know it's just 17 games, but that's half a college season.

I'd be surprised if the kid makes the NHL at all.

I'd rank Immonen, Bahensky, Graham, and Dubinsky and Helminen all ahead of Olver right now.

Actually I'd like to re-state the playing in the NHL comment. He may make the NHL, but I don't see it being with the Rangers.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
12-26-2005, 10:32 PM
  #7
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Anthony Mauro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
I'd rank Immonen, Bahensky, Graham, and Dubinsky and Helminen all ahead of Olver right now.

Actually I'd like to re-state the playing in the NHL comment. He may make the NHL, but I don't see it being with the Rangers.
Where's he going? If he can make the Rangers the Rangers will make room for him. Just like Prucha forced them to. (Not a comparison)

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
12-27-2005, 05:23 AM
  #8
BLACKBURN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Olver is going to be a 2nd liner on our team one day.
As mentioned I have only seen him play a couple of times (once last season) and so could not make a detailed scouting report. It's good to hear other people think he has the skills to exceed my prediction. I really liked the look of the kid and he did seem pretty gritty, fouht through checks and was not afraid to grind along the boards.

BLACKBURN is offline  
Old
12-27-2005, 05:36 AM
  #9
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,233
vCash: 500
The problem is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Where's he going? If he can make the Rangers the Rangers will make room for him. Just like Prucha forced them to. (Not a comparison)
Prucha wasn't blocked by more talented and more developed wingers both in talent and maturity.

Prucha has had the luxury of playing in a Men's league for the last 3 seasons where as Olver has played on the college level.

Don't get me wrong, I like the product that college hockey produces, I just don't think that Olver is going to jump ahead of those mentioned. Especially when you look at this season. A season in which Olver should be getting better and his stats don't show that he is.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
12-27-2005, 07:41 AM
  #10
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Where's he going? If he can make the Rangers the Rangers will make room for him. Just like Prucha forced them to. (Not a comparison)
Or he'll get used as a trade asset, IF his development accelerates. But, I do agree with PLD that, right now, he's probably behind Immonen, Helminen, Graham, Dubinsky, Pyatt and Ryan on the depth charts. That's six centers right there. Blair Betts could easily be the third line center for the next decade. Plus, we don't know who the Rangers take in the first round in 2006...another center, perhaps? OTOH, it's great to have such competition, but, certainly not every propsect =, not even the quality ones, are going to make the Rangers.

jas is online now  
Old
12-27-2005, 09:26 AM
  #11
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Long Beach, NY
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,879
vCash: 500
like this kid a lot since i saw a few of his games....can def see a 2nd line center.

Nich is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.