HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron costs Sabres win

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 11:27 PM
RattledSABRE

vCash: 500
Biron costs Sabres win

It's got to be frustrating to the guys on the team when you put forth a good effort only to see it wasted by the goalie.Biron looked alright in the first and then KABOOM he completely fell apart.Why Ruff left him in to start the third is beyond me.I know goalies have a bad game every once in a while so I'll just chalk it up to that for now and give him the benefit of the doubt.Unfortunately when you're life and death to make the playoffs in the first place you can't really give points away.I hope this isn't Biron resorting to his ways of last year or the Sabres are in deep trouble.I assume Noronen will get the start Friday.You'll know when things get bad when you see Miller again (not that Miller is bad,but it would mean carrying 3 goalies again).

Old
11-06-2003, 01:50 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

This is the first game this year that the goaltending has really cost the Sabres.

The rest of the team has already cost them 3 or 4 games this year.

Like Lindy said a few days ago, Biron needs to go 10 games or so between starts like he had last night.

And I wouldn't be so sure about Noronen against the Habs. Biron has a strong record against Montreal, so you might see him back in net on Thursday. Personally, I would have started Mika last night to give Biron a little rest to play Friday and Saturday.

Old
11-06-2003, 02:23 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
In the 2001-02 season, Biron appeared in 72 games and was as consistant as any goaltender in the 2nd half of that season. Many, myself included, thought he was destined to have a breakout season the following year. Instead he's suffered from lapses of concentration and has been wildly inconsistant. What happened that caused his play to regress? The only thing I can think of is he got married.

Old
11-06-2003, 03:13 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
Why was Lindy so sure in starting Biron last night...his record is now 3-8 against the Thrashers.
In the post game he said that Marty was going good, so he decided to stick with him both to start the game and after the 2nd period because of it.

It's just the lastest example of Ruff sticking with one of his guys too long......

It will be interesting to see how he plays it this weekend. marty's record against Montreal is pretty good if I remember correctly.

Old
11-06-2003, 03:14 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
The goals he let in tonite were terrible. His effort on the penalty shot was pathetic. Seriously, if we have any intention of making the playoffs, we need consistent goaltending. And not "Marty Biron consistency" which means three good games followed by a terrible one. It's about time Marty learns how to stay focused for a whole season. He's not young anymore and there shouldn't be any excuses.

Old
11-06-2003, 03:17 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

To expect any goalie to not have any stinkers all season long is too much to ask.

I think Lindy's expectations that Biron goes from having a stinker every 5 or 6 games to every 10 to 11 games is more realistic.

It may not be a very popular stance right now, but goaltending has really only cost this team one game this year. Whereas a poor showing by the forwards and defense has cost this team at least 3 or 4 games.

Let's see how Biron bounces back from this before he gets thrown under the bus.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:40 AM
Takeo

God I wish Ruff would just ride Mika for an extended period of time so we can see what we really got here. I'm sick of him showing flashes and then disappearing onto the bench after a bad period. I know Marty is Ruff's boy but come on, Mika deserves a real shot...if not after last night, then probably never.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:41 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
In the 2001-02 season, Biron appeared in 72 games and was as consistant as any goaltender in the 2nd half of that season. Many, myself included, thought he was destined to have a breakout season the following year. Instead he's suffered from lapses of concentration and has been wildly inconsistant. What happened that caused his play to regress? The only thing I can think of is he got married.
A reasonable explanation. Brodeur's wife sues for divorce and is a ***** about it, and he wins the Cup.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:44 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
God I wish Ruff would just ride Mika for an extended period of time so we can see what we really got here. I'm sick of him showing flashes and then disappearing onto the bench after a bad period. I know Marty is Ruff's boy but come on, Mika deserves a real shot...if not after last night, then probably never.
How would you have justified playing Noronen instead of Biron anytime this season over what games he's already played?

I agree that Noronen hasn't gotten an extended period to show himself, but that's partially his fault. He follows up a shutout by losing in Vancouver. Biron was on a roll ever since.

Hindsight is 20/20, and you can criticize Ruff for playing Biron against a team that he has a crappy record against in Atlanta. However, note that Biron owns our opponent for the next two games: the Habs. Ideally, Noronen would have gotten the start vs. Atlanta, and Biron would get both starts against Montreal, and then you ride whoever's hot.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:45 AM
Kozak72

Quote:
I agree. Mika has never been given a long look.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:51 AM
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
A reasonable explanation. Brodeur's wife sues for divorce and is a ***** about it, and he wins the Cup.
That might have been a relief for him when it happened...

Old
11-06-2003, 07:02 AM
ajsonor

Quote:
Right on, it is time to see if Mika can play. I'd like to see how he performs behind the team over a period of 5 games.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozak72
I agree. Mika has never been given a long look.
He ended last season with a long look, playing a majority of the last dozen games or so--and then followed it up with yet another mediocre training camp performance. Mika's made his own bed (and overslept in it at least once), this isn't all a case of Ruff not giving him a fair shake. And yes, I do agree that Ruff has handled all of his tenders oddly at least to poorly at worst. So there is plenty of fault to be found and spread around.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Do you have a better one?

Last time I looked Biron and Brodeur weren't the same guy.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:52 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

I was agreeing with you. Howard Stern noted that Andre Agassi's career went into the crapper when he got married, and then he resurrected it when he got divorced.

Old
11-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
I was agreeing with you. Howard Stern noted that Andre Agassi's career went into the crapper when he got married, and then he resurrected it when he got divorced.
J.S. Giguere got married last June and now he's struggling to put 3 good periods together. Jarome Iginla got married following his 55g, 99 pt season and dropped to 35g, 67pt, despite the addition of Chris Drury. This season he's puttering along with 3g, 4a in 11 games. There's the makings of an interesting statistical analysis here. All we need to know is when all the players got married.

Old
11-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
J.S. Giguere got married last June and now he's struggling to put 3 good periods together. Jarome Iginla got married following his 55g, 99 pt season and dropped to 35g, 67pt, despite the addition of Chris Drury. This season he's puttering along with 3g, 4a in 11 games. There's the makings of an interesting statistical analysis here. All we need to know is when all the players got married.

Drury just got married this summer right? Oh no......

Old
11-06-2003, 05:23 PM
The Flying Pigdog

Biron just had a bad game, he let in a couple goals and then fell apart. In my opinion, he never should have started vs. Atlanta and instead should have been rested so he could start both Montreal games. As a couple people pointed out, his record against the Thrashers is medicore but against the Habs it's great. You have to play the numbers/percentages...

Atlanta: 3-8, 3.42 GAA, .861 SV% (all worst stats out of all 29 other teams)

Montreal: 8-2, 1.97 GAA, .926 SV%

I hope he gets to start vs. Montreal.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:00 AM
BlackIce

I'll agree with you.... Let Biron try and rebound. I love how everyone jumps on the Mika Bandwagon after a bad game by Biron.

Biron needs a chance to prove that the Atlanta game was just that, a bad outing. Personally I think he rebounds tonight and we win 4-2

Closed Thread