HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Couturier the next Stamkos?

Old
01-15-2012, 05:53 PM
bryzgalovsky*

vCash: 500
couturier has

puck patience of a veteran
wicked accurate top shelf shot
smart passing
above average puck control and ability to fight for the puck along the boards, even at his current size
way above average defensive play

i can't wait until he's ready to start getting more minutes in years to come

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:00 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Offensive projections from juniors are imperfect, but as a 17 y.o Couturier was MILES ahead of Fisher offensively... and then you got the whole mono thing for Couturier last year. Who knows. Fisher has cracked 50 pts just once in his career... I think you're looking at a notably higher ceiling with Couturier.
Fisher also gets banged up all the time, which doesn't help. I consider him a "likely" scenario for Couturier. Obviously, if he hits his ceiling, he will produce much more. Stylistically, I think Fisher (and Jordan Staal) are way closer than Stamkos, though. As someone said earlier, Stamkos is excellent offense with good D. Couturier is/will be excellent defense with good-to-very good O.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:13 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Its to early to say how good coot will be so just let develop and lets see...

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Fisher also gets banged up all the time, which doesn't help. I consider him a "likely" scenario for Couturier. Obviously, if he hits his ceiling, he will produce much more. Stylistically, I think Fisher (and Jordan Staal) are way closer than Stamkos, though. As someone said earlier, Stamkos is excellent offense with good D. Couturier is/will be excellent defense with good-to-very good O.
The Stamkos comparison is silly. Fisher is too low. He's really a lot like Richards minus the physical edge.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:32 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Oh god if any other fanbase reads this thread they're going to laugh at us and we'll be run off HF Boards!

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:35 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Oh god if any other fanbase reads this thread they're going to laugh at us and we'll be run off HF Boards!
We're the Flyers fans. What are you worried about?

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:05 PM
FlyersFan61290

Lol at the stamkos comparison

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:13 PM
DickTony

Agree with those making the Staal comparisons, although his ceiling is probably Eric rather than Jordan.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Psuhockey

Sean Couturier is what he was projected to be: a cross between Eric(offense) and Jordan Staal(defense).

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Lol.. I didnt read too much through this thread but the Stamkos comparison is a bit cartoonish.

Having said this Couts is a special player. His hockey sense is off the charts. Love his wing span and how he can get that left hand shot snipe from the right side...that is why I liked playing right wing with a left handed shot. I just wasnt great at receiving a pass on my backhand.. lol

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
nuclear reactor

I'm standing by my suspicion despite the universal disagreement! He's gonna have 40+ goal seasons with potential for more. I will bump in 2016, in the unlikely event I'm not banned.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Couturier reminds me an awful lot of Joe Thornton, but with a better shot. It's clear that Sean has great vision, an excellent shot and is very responsible defensively. Now that he's getting more ice time with decent players, I think we're going to see his offensive game begin to develop a bit more. I could see Couturier getting 25 to 30 points in the 2nd half of the year if he continues with the ice time and linemates he's been given.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 09:56 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Couturier reminds me an awful lot of Joe Thornton, but with a better shot. It's clear that Sean has great vision, an excellent shot and is very responsible defensively. Now that he's getting more ice time with decent players, I think we're going to see his offensive game begin to develop a bit more. I could see Couturier getting 25 to 30 points in the 2nd half of the year if he continues with the ice time and linemates he's been given.
Thornton has vision and passing ability that I don't think Couturier has. Thornton has been the best passer in the NHL in the last 10 years, bar none. In the last 10 years, he has over 100 more assists than the #2 guy, and the 3rd highest assists/game behind Forsberg and Crosby.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:13 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Thornton has vision and passing ability that I don't think Couturier has. Thornton has been the best passer in the NHL in the last 10 years, bar none. In the last 10 years, he has over 100 more assists than the #2 guy, and the 3rd highest assists/game behind Forsberg and Crosby.
I think Couturier has that vision and passing ability. I also think Couturier at his point in the development curve is further along than Thornton was at the same age. Couturier is an exceptional defensive forward at such a young age. It's scary as to how good he's going to be defensively. And now that his offensive game is beginning to develop, there's no reason to think he can't reach Thornton's numbers. It wasn't until season 6 in Thornton's career that he really began to put it together.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Mgkibbles

No, not even close to the same skill set. It's like asking if Taylor Hall is the next Claude Giroux.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:19 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 559
I bet Cout could play better at goalie than bryz.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:52 PM
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
If you trade Claude Giroux to the Sabres for Ville Leino.....I wont say a word

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 10:56 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

No doubt in my mind he'll win a few Vezina's, Norris', and Jack Adams during his career.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:02 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

He's the next Gretzky, or basically he will be what Gretzky would be in today's NHL

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:03 PM
WeekendAtBernies

In terms of a playing style comparison, I see a lot of Ryan Getzlaf in Sean as he grows and matures. Perhaps he won't put up as many overall points as Getzlaf, but I see Sean winning at least one Selke in his career and I think it's not a stretch to say he'll be right around 30 goals most seasons, perhaps touching 40 once or twice.

In terms of a development comparison, I'd look to Tyler Seguin. What I mean by that is that Seguin was brought along very similarly in his rookie season. 4th line, low minutes, etc. And Couturier will likely finish w/ a similar point total to Seguin. I fully expect Couturier to break out in his sophomore season after a full offseason of bulking up, etc. the exact same way Seguin did.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
the next Stamkos? cant we just enjoy the kids overall play without making threads comparing him to other players. He obviously looks like hes going to be a great player for the Flyers. Hopefully people wont overreact when he hits the wall. and he will

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Why stop at Stamkos? I really think your cutting him short here. His defensive play, especially for his age, is bar-none, and he does possess offensive talent, as shown with the wicked wrist shot he's been showing off. Couturier @ 19 = Gretzky in his prime.

I don't feel that a facepalm is necessary, if you can't understand the sarcasm here, you need to replace your sarcasm detector.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
People who think Cooter is all Defense dont know cooter.

He could end up being EStaal/JStaal/Lecalvalier blend, hes that good.

For me, this is also the player who most comes to mind in terms of body type, skating, reach and style.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:51 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
For me, this is also the player who most comes to mind in terms of body type, skating, reach and style.
So if he becomes 2006-2007 Vinnie Lecavalier, then the Stamkos comparison wasn't really all that ridiculous... I mean Vinnie had 52g, 56a that year.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the next Stamkos? cant we just enjoy the kids overall play without making threads comparing him to other players. He obviously looks like hes going to be a great player for the Flyers. Hopefully people wont overreact when he hits the wall. and he will
Yep.

These comparisons and expectations will only set him up for failure. Especially since he isn't a Stamkos-like player.