HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Does Flyers' lack of response to Steve Staios hit bother you?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2012, 03:54 PM
  #76
iamcanadian23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Rinaldo-Harry Z-Sestito
I like that line, as long as they play disciplined and play to their potential. In their brief time together, they did very well at hemming the opposition in their end. They form a quality fourth line that has the potential to physically wear down some of the opposition and they have the quickness to generate some offense - although they lack some finish.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
  #77
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
I like that line, as long as they play disciplined and play to their potential. In their brief time together, they did very well at hemming the opposition in their end. They form a quality fourth line that has the potential to physically wear down some of the opposition and they have the quickness to generate some offense - although they lack some finish.
Sestito just got suspended in the AHL for throwing a punch from the bench. He has no business being in the Flyers organization, IMO. Useless undisciplined player.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
  #78
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
That's a clueless statement. You're not basing your answers off of anything except, "Ohhhh that line is a line for teams who wanna lose blah blah" where the hell do you even get a statement like that? At least back it up with something. When that was the 4th line for about 2 games they were cycling the puck well and keeping play in the other team's zone.

A team with only skill WILL NOT WORK. How many times has a tougher team knocked off a team with more skill in the playoffs? The Bruins against us, the Bruins against Vancouver, the Bruins against Tampa, the Bruins against Montreal, Flyers in 09-10 against Montreal, New Jersey, Vancouver against Chicago last year, The Penguins against the Caps in 08-09, the Ducks against the Sharks in 09, like holy **** and that's just from off the top of my head in just the last few years. Name one team that has made it to the SCF based solely on skill?
How do you define skill? Bruins had a pretty skilled team last year imo. More so than Tampa or Montreal at least. Also, our team in 09-10 was definitely more skilled than Montreal's. I'd give the edge to Vancouver over Chicago as well. Pens with Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar and the rest was pretty damn skilled.

Obviously you need a lot of skill, toughness, grit, endurance etc. if you want to make it to the SCF. You also need defense. Boston's fourth line last year was damn solid defensively. A line of Sestito-Zolnierczyk-Rinaldo might be eaten alive if it's the fourth line in the playoffs.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
  #79
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
That's a clueless statement. You're not basing your answers off of anything except, "Ohhhh that line is a line for teams who wanna lose blah blah" where the hell do you even get a statement like that? At least back it up with something. When that was the 4th line for about 2 games they were cycling the puck well and keeping play in the other team's zone.

A team with only skill WILL NOT WORK. How many times has a tougher team knocked off a team with more skill in the playoffs? The Bruins against us, the Bruins against Vancouver, the Bruins against Tampa, the Bruins against Montreal, Flyers in 09-10 against Montreal, New Jersey, Vancouver against Chicago last year, The Penguins against the Caps in 08-09, the Ducks against the Sharks in 09, like holy **** and that's just from off the top of my head in just the last few years. Name one team that has made it to the SCF based solely on skill?
Pens last two times. Every Detroit team since the 90s. Vancouver last year.

You have to be able to be physical legally. You don't need people that take PIM. PIM = losses.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:29 PM
  #80
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Pens last two times. Every Detroit team since the 90s. Vancouver last year.

You have to be able to be physical legally. You don't need people that take PIM. PIM = losses.
The Pens in 08 and 09 had toughness on it, Orpik, Kunitz, finishing checks, and Vancouver's 4th line was tearing the Western Conference a new ******* before they faced Boston, Raffi Torress and co. were wrecking teams. Hell even Detroit has Stuart and Kronwall that will lay out hits. Granted they aren't the toughest team but they aren't soley skill-based. Plus, playing like the Detroit Red Wings won't work in the East right now when Boston and New York are the two best teams.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
  #81
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
The Pens in 08 and 09 had toughness on it, Orpik, Kunitz, finishing checks, and Vancouver's 4th line was tearing the Western Conference a new ******* before they faced Boston, Raffi Torress and co. were wrecking teams. Hell even Detroit has Stuart and Kronwall that will lay out hits. Granted they aren't the toughest team but they aren't soley skill-based. Plus, playing like the Detroit Red Wings won't work in the East right now when Boston and New York are the two best teams.
toughness is fine, penalty minutes are not. If a player takes a bunch of roughing, elbowing, USC penalties, he has no place on a Cup winning team.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
  #82
iamcanadian23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Sestito just got suspended in the AHL for throwing a punch from the bench. He has no business being in the Flyers organization, IMO. Useless undisciplined player.
Did I not say "as long as they play disciplined"?

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:49 PM
  #83
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Sestito has shown no ability to stay disciplined to date. Shelley is a useless player would would not even get drafted into the NHL now-a-days. Rinaldo has never had a Junior or Pro season where he averaged under 3 PIM per game, and several of them over 4 PIM. Either they were all fights, which the NHL is slowly taking out of the game, or he's pretty undisciplined too. If he wants to prove he's disciplined, let him get through an AHL season with under 125 PIM.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:57 PM
  #84
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Sestito has shown no ability to stay disciplined to date. Shelley is a useless player would would not even get drafted into the NHL now-a-days. Rinaldo has never had a Junior or Pro season where he averaged under 3 PIM per game, and several of them over 4 PIM. Either they were all fights, which the NHL is slowly taking out of the game, or he's pretty undisciplined too. If he wants to prove he's disciplined, let him get through an AHL season with under 125 PIM.
I'm with you on the discipline thing, but Rinaldo has been one of the pleasant surprises for me thus far this season. He's keeping his cool while playing with an edge and delivering a few really good hits. I'd still wouldn't be too opposed to having him in the AHL though if we're fully healthy. He has areas of his game that he needs to work on still.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 04:59 PM
  #85
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I'm with you on the discipline thing, but Rinaldo has been one of the pleasant surprises for me thus far this season. He's keeping his cool while playing with an edge and delivering a few really good hits. I'd still wouldn't be too opposed to having him in the AHL though if we're fully healthy. He has areas of his game that he needs to work on still.
Rinaldo at least has a shot at becoming useful, IMO. Sestito and Shelley are a waste of two of our 50 contracts.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:22 PM
  #86
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Rinaldo at least has a shot at becoming useful, IMO. Sestito and Shelley are a waste of two of our 50 contracts.

Completely false. Sestito has as good a chance as Rinaldo of being more disciplined. During his short time with the Flyers he played tough a didn't do anything that meritted a suspension.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:24 PM
  #87
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
He was suspended in the preseason, and he was JUST suspended in the AHL this week.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:36 PM
  #88
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
He seems to keep it under control in the pros so far.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:42 PM
  #89
2minutes4slashing
Registered User
 
2minutes4slashing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: niota, tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
It would be beneficial to the Flyers to have Sesitito around for the future . You'll always need a fighter

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 06:55 PM
  #90
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
It would be beneficial to the Flyers to have Sesitito around for the future . You'll always need a fighter

I just like his size. He was creating havoc around the Rangers net in the game he played against them. Nobody could contain him. Then he beat up Brian Boyle. I could see Sestito being a guy we use to get under a guy like Chara's skin. Have him camp out in front of Thomas, cause havoc in the crease and battle it out with Chara. Hoepfully he can get under control so we could use him in that sense.


Last edited by TheLegendkiller: 01-16-2012 at 01:59 AM.
TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:01 PM
  #91
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,501
vCash: 5500
Sestito isn't up here because he can't play.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:08 PM
  #92
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,707
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Sestito isn't up here because he can't play.
but, he has size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
size doesnt mean crap if you are a big player and you suck.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:19 PM
  #93
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Tom Sestito in his brief time up here:

-averaged more TOI than Shelley, Rinaldo, or Zolnierczyk

-Despite limited time, he was a hitting machine. Gave you 8 hits in 3 games... on pace for the team lead in hits.

-Won 2 of his 3 faceoffs

-was "only" minus 1. Rinaldo is minus 6, Zolnierczyk is minus 11, Shelley is minus 4.

I don't understand how people can say he can't play based on a good limited sample while up here. He's easily 100x more useful than Jody Shelley. I'd probably take him over Rinaldo too.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:28 PM
  #94
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Pens last two times. Every Detroit team since the 90s. Vancouver last year.

You have to be able to be physical legally. You don't need people that take PIM. PIM = losses.
97,98 wings = kocur
08 wings = aaron downey

09 penguins = eric godard

You. Fail.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:21 AM
  #95
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
97,98 wings = kocur
08 wings = aaron downey

09 penguins = eric godard

You. Fail.
Funny story. The two years that the Wings won the Cup with Kocar he stopped being a goon. 70 PIM in 34 games in 96-97, and 92 PIM in 63 games in 97-98.

Aaron Downey did not see the ice in the 2008 playoffs. He also didn't goon it up much in the regular season -- 116 PIM in 56 games.

Godard was at least a semi-goon -- 171 PIM in 71 games, over the 2PIM per game when I start to deem someone "useless". However, he didn't see the ice in the playoffs here.

So, in fact, none of those teams used a goon to win the Cup. At best, they overcame the bad decision to play a goon in the regular season to still make the playoffs, then relied on the skill guys once the playoffs came.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:49 AM
  #96
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Sestito isn't up here because he can't play.
Sestito won't play because they like Rinaldo more. I'm ok with that because there are good arguments for keeping either player.

But Sestito is not up here because for some strange reason Homer can't admit that he made a mistake signing Shelley and Superstar just keeps occupying a dead roster spot. Maybe they have an agreement in place that Shelley can stay for the remainder of the season if he retires right after the season ends? Just speculating on that one...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:57 AM
  #97
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Funny story. The two years that the Wings won the Cup with Kocar he stopped being a goon. 70 PIM in 34 games in 96-97, and 92 PIM in 63 games in 97-98.

Aaron Downey did not see the ice in the 2008 playoffs. He also didn't goon it up much in the regular season -- 116 PIM in 56 games.

Godard was at least a semi-goon -- 171 PIM in 71 games, over the 2PIM per game when I start to deem someone "useless". However, he didn't see the ice in the playoffs here.

So, in fact, none of those teams used a goon to win the Cup. At best, they overcame the bad decision to play a goon in the regular season to still make the playoffs, then relied on the skill guys once the playoffs came.
Thanks, I thought the same thing. I guess the Flyers are OK in this regard then, we have a goon who will only play when there are multiple injuries during the season, and not at all during the playoffs!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
  #98
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Funny story. The two years that the Wings won the Cup with Kocar he stopped being a goon. 70 PIM in 34 games in 96-97, and 92 PIM in 63 games in 97-98.

Aaron Downey did not see the ice in the 2008 playoffs. He also didn't goon it up much in the regular season -- 116 PIM in 56 games.

Godard was at least a semi-goon -- 171 PIM in 71 games, over the 2PIM per game when I start to deem someone "useless". However, he didn't see the ice in the playoffs here.

So, in fact, none of those teams used a goon to win the Cup. At best, they overcame the bad decision to play a goon in the regular season to still make the playoffs, then relied on the skill guys once the playoffs came.


Those teams used a goon to survive the 82 game grind that gets you into the playoffs.
Kocur was playing in abeer league and brought in just so DET had a "goon" for the last month or two of the season.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:20 PM
  #99
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Sestito isn't up here because he can't play.
depneds on what a team needs. He is just as good or better then guys like Eager, Mitchell, Torres, Clifford, Jackman, Matt Martin and others of that ilk. The guy is big, skates well, and has decent hands. His fighting is actually over rated on these boards.

Yes, he can play. How many 4th line wingers can you have up? Rinaldo, Harry Z, Talbot. None obviously has played poorly to give someone a shot to come up.

The Flyers get hemmed in against teams like NYR, OTT and BOS because they have trouble winning board battles. Their D is smallish and not overly physical ant the forwards aren't large either.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
  #100
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,707
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
97,98 wings = kocur
08 wings = aaron downey

09 penguins = eric godard

You. Fail.
obviously those teams never would of won if they didnt have those slugs in the lineup.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.