HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New and Improved Non-Ski Resort Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Yeah, I knew Sam. He was my Bio 11 partner, really cool guy.

Challenge is a program for self-important gifted students so that they can take higher level courses whilst chastising their classmates for 'only' receiving 94% on the Science 10 provincial exam.

I'm bitter.
Yeah went to middle school with him. Such a nice guy. He left to go play football at Mt Doug. Dude was ripped in grade 7. I'm bitter.

Oh ok. I only ever did the work at your own pace. Though looking back, being one who already had trouble getting up for school having leeway probably wasn't a good thing.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Challenge is a program for a bunch of kids arbitrarily given the label 'gifted' because they gave different answers on one test in grade 1 that gives them the ability to chastise their classmates for 'only' receiving 94% on the Science 10 provincial exam.
FTFY.

You think you are bitter?

Old
01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Yeah went to middle school with him. Such a nice guy. He left to go play football at Mt Doug. Dude was ripped in grade 7. I'm bitter.

Oh ok. I only ever did the work at your own pace. Though looking back, being one who already had trouble getting up for school having leeway probably wasn't a good thing.
Sam was the only football player that was actually nice to everyone, even the less popular people.

I think he goes to UBC now on a football scholarship, but I ran into him at a bar during Christmas break and he's still that all-around nice dude. Somehow he remembered me even though I look nothing like I did in highschool. Kind of a boost moment for me, since I was the ugly friend during my Mt. Doug days.

OH HIGH SCHOOL, I HATED YOU SO MUCH.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
AndyPipkin

^ Thats Sam all right.

Wish I had tried harder in HS, but it was very middle of the road for me. Not that great, but not that awful, purgatory-ish.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:30 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
FTFY.

To be fair, there are some cases where there are kids who clearly can swing above their weight class while others can hardly tell what is happening in a course. I wish if BC high schools didn't appeal so much to the lowest common denominator.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

So any of you Islander pot heads ever eat at Floyd's Diner in Victoria? They just featured it on a new show called "You Gotta Eat Here". (Canadian version of Diners, Drive-in's and Dives)

Insane portions. Seems like perfect stoner munchie food.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
To be fair, there are some cases where there are kids who clearly can swing above their weight class while others can hardly tell what is happening in a course. I wish if BC high schools didn't appeal so much to the lowest common denominator.
Why don't you move those kids up a grade then? I think there is nothing wrong with the school system. If kids are willing to learn, teachers are willing to teach and teach well.

If there is one thing I would change, it would be either the amount of money put in to the school systems by the government or better preparing high school kids for college.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
So any of you Islander pot heads ever eat at Floyd's Diner in Victoria? They just featured it on a new show called "You Gotta Eat Here". (Canadian version of Diners, Drive-in's and Dives)

Never been, but I hear its good. Its a fav of a few of my pot head friends.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
FTFY.

To be fair, I took the Challenge entrance exam in Grade 7. Still wish I hadn't though.

High school was a piss poor experience for me because I was an ugly duckling, challenge student and band geek up until Grade 12. At that time I just started skipping 60% of classes to hang out and drive around with my BFF Morag in her sweet green Toyota Tercel, all while smoking Benson and Hedges 100s (because that's the cool cigarettes, don't you know). Somehow I still graduated with honours because I showed up for the tests and handed in assignments.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:35 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:

Floyd's is 2 blocks away from my house, it's the de-facto hungover or stoned breakfast/brunch option.

That or Shine Cafe. Mmmm Shine Cafe.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:
To be fair, I took the Challenge entrance exam in Grade 7. Still wish I hadn't though.

High school was a piss poor experience for me because I was an ugly duckling, challenge student and band geek up until Grade 12. At that time I just started skipping 60% of classes to hang out and drive around with my BFF Morag in her sweet green Toyota Tercel, all while smoking Benson and Hedges 100s (because that's the cool cigarettes, don't you know). Somehow I still graduated with honours because I showed up for the tests and handed in assignments.
My school wasn't as clique-oriented. Everyone was pretty respectful of each other unless you did something really stupid. Sure, there was a few idiots here and there but nothing to get to bent out of shape about.

The thing was, you never knew where you stood. It wasn't until I graduated until I figured out that our group of friends were pretty well-liked by the whole school. Sure, there were a few dark times in there, but overall it was pretty meh. I had to work for most of my grades even though I'm pretty smart. I'd say I'm more of a critical learner. I have to hear or see things from different views before I become well-versed in it. I'm always learning new things everyday and you have to stay engaged.

I just wish I had developed good study habits throughout. I'm still lazy as bones, it was easier in HS were I could get away with doing 1 hour of homework a night.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:47 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:

I ****ing hate Floyd's.

I went their twice: The first time, the service was so laughably bad that we literally wondered if we were on a hidden camera show. The dunce serving us literally screwed up every single thing. After swearing it off forever, a friend convinced me to go back with him - I ended up getting food poisoning that was so severe my partner for several hours considered taking me to the emergency room.

**** you Floyd's.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
I wasn't impressed with Floyd's. My breakfast took forever and when it came out if was room temperature. I'm not sure if it is still there but my go to breakfast place was Willie's Bakery on Johnson. For a coffee and pastry to go you cannot beat Cascadia Bakery. That place is a gem. When I moved into the same building I started going there every day.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:55 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Why don't you move those kids up a grade then? I think there is nothing wrong with the school system. If kids are willing to learn, teachers are willing to teach and teach well.

If there is one thing I would change, it would be either the amount of money put in to the school systems by the government or better preparing high school kids for college.
That's the thing - there are a lot of kids in the system who aren't quite "willing to learn" for a number of reasons. And given how lax courses requirements are nowadays, those kids who put zero effort and display little learning development in a class still get a pass anyway. And when the lowest denominator can actually get through, then performing well in a class doesn't actually stand out. You get tons of kids graduating with 85, 90% averages and there isn't anything particular about that - colleges and universities have caught wind of that. It's essentially misleading students into believing they're well prepared to advance when in fact they're actually mediocre.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:58 PM
oyvey

Quote:

Beyond the fact it seems like a young place, I've never understood the hangover-central heading it gets. I've only been a few times and found it stressful. Loud, abrasive atmosphere on Saturday/Sunday mornings. Annoying service. As you said, good portions, but overpriced.

Quote:
That or Shine Cafe. Mmmm Shine Cafe.
I'm not even vegetarian and think Rebar has the best brunch in Victoria. Blue Fox is good barring how hard it is to get a table.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:01 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsson uhhh View Post
Beyond the fact it seems like a young place, I've never understood the hangover-central heading it gets. I've only been a few times and found it stressful. Loud, abrasive atmosphere on Saturday/Sunday mornings. Annoying service. As you said, good portions, but overpriced.

I'm not even vegetarian and think Rebar has the best brunch in Victoria. Blue Fox is good barring how hard it is to get a table.
Rebar is fantastic. I love Shine because the Scottish dude that owns it is a bawse and the food is incredible. There's at least 10-15 types of eggs benedict, depending on the special. Last time I was there my boyfriend at the time had the Quebecois Hash (daily special) and it was the homefries (soooo good, more like roasted potatoes with tons of herbs) with lots of bacon, scrambled herbed eggs, tomatoes, fresh cheese curds, and a holandaise sauce on top.

Now I'm hungry.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
I remember once when I was a wee kid of 15 and working at the Cedar Hill X Road McDicks (I lived on Admirals and Craigflower, but went to school at Mt Doug) I got followed home by some homeless guy after he got on the last 14 bus downtown. Of course these were the days before 15 year olds all had cell phones, so I basically ran into the Macs near my house and hung out by the Slurpee machine until the dude ****ed off.

Now I just go to clubs and get greasy 20 somethings thinking that they have a right to feel up on you because you're wearing a tight dress and heels. Had the lovely opportunity to slap some guy and ram my heel down on his foot in the club last night after he thought it was acceptable to try and reach up my skirt while I was waiting for coat check.

Don't **** with me, because I will **** your **** up.
I was born in Victoria and grew up in Gordon Head and graduated from Mt. Doug in 1969. The old Mt. Doug on on Cedar Hill Road (now Cedar Hill Middle School).

Old
01-15-2012, 05:13 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I was born in Victoria and grew up in Gordon Head and graduated from Mt. Doug in 1969. The old Mt. Doug on on Cedar Hill Road (now Cedar Hill Middle School).
Ohhhh, you just dated yourself there Wet.

I graduated from Mt. Doug too... the new one, in 2007.

But I did go to Cedar Hill when it was a Junior High for 2 years.

Old
01-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Drunken Crunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
Ah, I went to a private school that eschewed gifted programs in favour of religious brainwashing.

I am also bitter.
This!

Which school did you go to CJ?

Also agree w/ those who say Floyd's a'int all that great. Portion size is good but service is pretty lackluster.

Anyone here in Vic tried Bin 4 Burger Lounge yet?

Old
01-15-2012, 08:48 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Crunker View Post
This!

Which school did you go to CJ?

Also agree w/ those who say Floyd's a'int all that great. Portion size is good but service is pretty lackluster.

Anyone here in Vic tried Bin 4 Burger Lounge yet?
I haven't, but Fat Burger is uh-may-zing.

Old
01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Drunken Crunker

Quote:
I tried to get in there the other day but the line-up was ginormous!!

Definately on my list of places to go

Old
01-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Drunken Crunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
The only thing I enjoy about living in esquimalt is that its close to pretty much everything. Too many creepers around for my liking.
Try Pandora and Cook. Creeper central!

Old
01-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:
I can confirm it's amazingness.

I still need to go to Five Guys.

Old
01-15-2012, 08:56 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Crunker View Post
Try Pandora and Cook. Creeper central!
I love hanging out around the Conservatory between 11pm-3am, there's sooo many nice characters.

Just mind the dirty hypodermic needles, please.

Old
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Wetcoaster

BBC has updated the character of Sherlock Holmes and put him in contemporary London.

The first of three episodes in Series One goes tonight on PBS Seattle at 10 pm - on Masterpiece Mystery. Repeats 01/18/12, 3:00 am KCTS 9 HD.
http://pw.myersinfosys.com/kcts/airl.../481899/detail
In a special encore presentation on January 15, 22 & 29, 2012 at 10pm, Masterpiece mystery! presents season 1 of Sherlock. Relive the clever banter and superhuman deductions. Watch full episodes online for a limited period starting the Monday after broadcast!
"A Study in Pink"
A war hero, invalided home from Afghanistan, meets a strange but charismatic genius who is looking for a flatmate; it is London, 2010, and Dr Watson and Sherlock Holmes are meeting for the first time. A string of impossible suicides has Scotland Yard baffled - and only one man can help.
In an interesting twist. the original Dr. Watson was returning to England after serving in the war in Afghanistan as is the updated Dr. John Watson in this series - the more things change and all that. Rather than writing and publishing the exploits of his friend Sherlock in the newspaper, the modern Watson has a website and blog.

All in all quite an interesting series. Highly recommended.

The next two episodes are on the next two Sundays - The Blind Banker and The Great Game

And Series 2 goes ahead in May 2012.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/mystery/index.html

Here is the BBC website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh

Closed Thread