HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All David Desharnais talk here.

View Poll Results: Is Desharnais' future at center or wing?
Keep him at center long-term. Play him with two big wingers. 54 83.08%
Shift him to the wing. We need more size at center. We can't give him two big wingers. 3 4.62%
Keep him at center for next season. Draft a center this year and shift DD to wing when he comes up. 8 12.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2012, 08:56 PM
  #51
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
If Eller can get it together a bit, i would trade Plekanec. We can only afford one small center , and the most talented center we have is DD. If we could get a big center, Getzlaf maybe if he is available or we can draft one if we finish low enought this would be great.
And then we can chase DD out of town too when he doesn't live up to everyone's expectations.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:06 PM
  #52
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,834
vCash: 500
I dont know if the lighting would do it but i'd package plekanec for lecavalier.

Captain Saku is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:07 PM
  #53
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I dont know if the lighting would do it but i'd package plekanec for lecavalier.
I'm not a Lecavalier fan by any means but if we dump Gomez that might work.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
  #54
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I dont know if the lighting would do it but i'd package plekanec for lecavalier.
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. Do not want his contract.

Captain Smurf is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:21 PM
  #55
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I dont know if the lighting would do it but i'd package plekanec for lecavalier.
NOOOOOOOOO Don't want that contract near the Habs .We are finally starting to go in the right direction. Cammy's big contract gone,The mostr Gomez will be around is two more yrs and another big contract gone. Why cripple our cap space with Vinny's contract?Pleks is in his prime while Vinny is on a serious downslide to his career.

mytor4* is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:26 PM
  #56
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
NOOOOOOOOO Don't want that contract near the Habs .We are finally starting to go in the right direction. Cammy's big contract gone,The mostr Gomez will be around is two more yrs and another big contract gone. Why cripple our cap space with Vinny's contract?Pleks is in his prime while Vinny is on a serious downslide to his career.
I agree with the fact that is contract is too long and i would not touch him. But we will never winn anything with Plekanec as one of our center. He is too small and dissaperas in the playoff. We need to replace him with a big center

Undertakerqc is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:27 PM
  #57
Zorro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
DD on pace for 56pts

Zorro is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:28 PM
  #58
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
DD on pace for 56pts
A true warrior

Undertakerqc is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:34 PM
  #59
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
Desharnais is +3 with 15 points in his last 15 games. Kid has great vision and is not afraid of the dirty areas. I'm a big fan.
Over his last 8 he's 2g 8a 10 pts. +6.

The last 15 games have been right after he hit the career 80 game NHL mark. He'd shown dramatic improvement in both juniors and the AHL at this point (one season), so it should come as no surprise that he's doing the same once again.

15 games is not an insignificant time frame. His stats are not skewed by one game like Eller's are (half his goals in one game). This kid can play. Anyone who still doubts his vision and creativity AND his ability to be long term productive in the NHL are just not dealing with reality. He's an NHLer to stay.

Cyclones Rock is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:36 PM
  #60
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,523
vCash: 500
Desharnais tied for 26th among centers for scoring.

Want to know some players DD is tied with in scoring? Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Ribeiro, Tomas Plekanec, Ryan Kesler, and Brad Richards.

Some players he's ahead of?
Saku Koivu, Rich Peverely, Tuomo Ruutu, Mikhail Grabovski, David Legwand, Mike Richards, Paul Statsny, Derek Roy, Jeff Skinner, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich, Mike Fisher.

One Man Rock Band is online now  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:37 PM
  #61
Jake5
Registered User
 
Jake5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I agree with the fact that is contract is too long and i would not touch him. But we will never winn anything with Plekanec as one of our center. He is too small and dissaperas in the playoff. We need to replace him with a big center

if by "dissapears" in the playoffs you mean "shuts down the other teams star forwards" then yeah you're right

this team would fall apart (even more than it already has) without Plekanec

Jake5 is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:40 PM
  #62
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
DD on pace for 56pts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Desharnais tied for 26th among centers for scoring.

Want to know some players DD is tied with in scoring? Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Ribeiro, Tomas Plekanec, Ryan Kesler, and Brad Richards.

Some players he's ahead of?
Saku Koivu, Rich Peverely, Tuomo Ruutu, Mikhail Grabovski, David Legwand, Mike Richards, Paul Statsny, Derek Roy, Jeff Skinner, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich, Mike Fisher.


But, but, but he's small....

Belso is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:42 PM
  #63
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Desharnais tied for 26th among centers for scoring.

Want to know some players DD is tied with in scoring? Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Ribeiro, Tomas Plekanec, Ryan Kesler, and Brad Richards.

Some players he's ahead of?
Saku Koivu, Rich Peverely, Tuomo Ruutu, Mikhail Grabovski, David Legwand, Mike Richards, Paul Statsny, Derek Roy, Jeff Skinner, Matt Duchene, Brooks Laich, Mike Fisher.
Would you trade DD for the aforementioned players in a 1-1 trade?

pine* is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
  #64
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,735
vCash: 500
Desharnais needs to keep playing with Pacioretty and Cole NO MATTER WHAT.

This line is just dominant. He's a great little player but you can tell he needs those big bodies to truely produce and dominate the way he has. He's still productive away from those guys, just not nearly as much. In any event, he's a great player.

I don't doubt for a second with the right circumstances he can put up 60-65pts in a season.

JGRB is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:46 PM
  #65
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Little dude has elite vision, too bad he's ****ing 5'6.

Myron Gaines* is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:46 PM
  #66
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Would you trade DD for the aforementioned players in a 1-1 trade?
Surely.

He's a great value though, and he didn't cost us anything. None of those teams will take him one-on-one for them so it's not a realistic argument to make even though I understand what your trying to say.

JGRB is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:49 PM
  #67
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
I think people put way too much stock in his size. He routinely goes into the corners and battles the puck away from much bigger guys. It's all optics IMO. In fact his size may be to his advantage in certain situations.

capebretoncanadien is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 09:51 PM
  #68
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Would you trade DD for the aforementioned players in a 1-1 trade?
The only one that I would trade him for, without question, is Ryan Kesler. And hope that Kesler can bring Burrows.

The others, I'd have to look at my team and cap situation.

Desharnais is nowhere close to the tip of the iceberg for himself yet. I've been saying it for years and I still believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Desharnais needs to keep playing with Pacioretty and Cole NO MATTER WHAT.

This line is just dominant. He's a great little player but you can tell he needs those big bodies to truely produce and dominate the way he has. He's still productive away from those guys, just not nearly as much. In any event, he's a great player.

I don't doubt for a second with the right circumstances he can put up 60-65pts in a season.
In the right circumstances, he could very well hit 80-points -- and I'm not joking.

One Man Rock Band is online now  
Old
01-15-2012, 10:15 PM
  #69
EllertoKostitsynGoal
Registered User
 
EllertoKostitsynGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Over his last 8 he's 2g 8a 10 pts. +6.

The last 15 games have been right after he hit the career 80 game NHL mark. He'd shown dramatic improvement in both juniors and the AHL at this point (one season), so it should come as no surprise that he's doing the same once again.

15 games is not an insignificant time frame. His stats are not skewed by one game like Eller's are (half his goals in one game). This kid can play. Anyone who still doubts his vision and creativity AND his ability to be long term productive in the NHL are just not dealing with reality. He's an NHLer to stay.
Well I like DD and I'm one of thos who prefered him as a winger but if we can have mostly big wingers it can afford us to put both Pac and Cole with him without screwing up the rest of the lineup. (Cam-Plek-Gio anyone ) Don't know where Grigorenko slot in then.

Still, no need to bash Eller, let's not forget DD has 3 years on him. And his 4 goal game may make it look like his production is skewed by that same game but the truth is that he does have more shots than DD so in the end it's pretty normal that he would have more goals than him, it's not like Eller is shooting at 25%, it's more that he was shooting at 5-6% before that game wich is ridiculously low.

Still, always great seeing an undrafted player prove people wrong. Still doesn't make me want to get rid of our first big talented center since the 90s and no need to bash Plekanec either, the guy has given his heart to that team for god knows how long, he has a brutal thankless job that would make alot of player look AHL caliber. Let's not forget how we were all praising him for shutting down the Krecji line in the PO (didn't he also have 6 pts in that serie including that clutch SH goal) and suddenly he's a little girl. That's even more What-have-you-done-for-me-lately than that time I read someone calling Chris Kelly a 25-30 goal powerfoward. And Plekanec also has a pretty low shooting% but he is third on the team in shots so I expect him to pot a few in a row sooner rather than later.

OT: Looking on the NHL page at our players shots and shooting %, we will probably see a thread pretty soon about how Subban has turned a corner, has stopped sucking and is back to being awesome. 2.5% is brutal even for a Dman (and no those don't count shots that went wide ) If he had the same % as last year he would already have about 8-9 goals.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 11:25 PM
  #70
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
He definitly has more heart then Plekanec, and he was real impressive against the Bruins in the playoff. Plekanec? Well you know how he plays in the playoff ... like a girlie, he said it himself
Bravo...

More heart ? ... Does he plays 22 minutes a game? how many time DD standed in front of chara while he was ready to unleash a bullet?
Yeah tought so.

Oh ya and, Ton david, He has 1in 5 playoff games... sadly.

Plekanec was one of our best forward Offensively/Defensively. 5 in 7 games.

Stop bashing pleky.
If we trade someone its DD. Plek is actually better than DD in ALL facets of the game. Please stop overrating ''les ptits gars de chez nous'' Why is Darche even on this team -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
The only one that I would trade him for, without question, is Ryan Kesler. And hope that Kesler can bring Burrows.

The others, I'd have to look at my team and cap situation.

Desharnais is nowhere close to the tip of the iceberg for himself yet. I've been saying it for years and I still believe it.


In the right circumstances, he could very well hit 80-points -- and I'm not joking.
................................ Really ? Getzlaf 90 points ? U hear ? elite ?
Ribeiro ? 80 points SURE a year ? Kesler scored 40 goals you know ?

... Now i know i sound like a hater but i am no such thing !
I just HAAAAAAAAAAATEEEEE when players get overrated...

I.E Tim Tebow, Michael Vick, Lesean Mccoy, Aaron Rodgers, Jonathan Toews(You nhl fans made me hate my favorite player.) And so on..

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
01-15-2012, 11:28 PM
  #71
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,237
vCash: 500
I don't really care who has more points between the centers as long as they all play well. Pleks has a very diverse role on the team and often has to play with wingers who can't score. Then again DD will sometimes get a Pacioretty who can't do **** (not tonight!). I think Randy is mixing the lines up quite a bit. Pts don't matter to me within a certain margin. If Pleks isn't scoring BECAUSE DD is scoring and thus putting him in a more defensive role, fine. The other way, fine as well, since I can't blame DD for his play, he's been great. If one edges the other cuz they're both putting up points, even better.

habtastic is online now  
Old
01-15-2012, 11:31 PM
  #72
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,756
vCash: 500
Yeah, I'm happy with Desharnais and I'm impressed with him. He's the best pure playmaker on the team.

But it's sad that people are using his recent good play to bash Plekanec and Eller.

All three of them have different skill sets, and add different things to the team. You can't just look at points and +/-.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 11:33 PM
  #73
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Bravo...

More heart ? ... Does he plays 22 minutes a game? how many time DD standed in front of chara while he was ready to unleash a bullet?
Yeah tought so.

Oh ya and, Ton david, He has 1in 5 playoff games... sadly.

Plekanec was one of our best forward Offensively/Defensively. 5 in 7 games.

Stop bashing pleky.
If we trade someone its DD. Plek is actually better than DD in ALL facets of the game. Please stop overrating ''les ptits gars de chez nous'' Why is Darche even on this team -_-



................................ Really ? Getzlaf 90 points ? U hear ? elite ?
Ribeiro ? 80 points SURE a year ? Kesler scored 40 goals you know ?

... Now i know i sound like a hater but i am no such thing !
I just HAAAAAAAAAAATEEEEE when players get overrated...

I.E Tim Tebow, Michael Vick, Lesean Mccoy, Aaron Rodgers, Jonathan Toews(You nhl fans made me hate my favorite player.) And so on..
I agree with you completely about don't bash Pleky, but also don't bash DD. They're both great. They have a lot in common, but mostly great vision. Where DD wins a lot of puck battles and is shifty, Pleks is awesome defensively.

as for ribeiro and Getzlaf...they play with elite linemates and do NOTHING defensively. Kesler is by far the best of them and you should know that he is the Van shut down guy, not the goal scorer.

You think Toews is overrated??!!! He's the center I would unquestionably want on our team!

habtastic is online now  
Old
01-15-2012, 11:37 PM
  #74
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
I think people put way too much stock in his size. He routinely goes into the corners and battles the puck away from much bigger guys. It's all optics IMO. In fact his size may be to his advantage in certain situations.
Student price at movies?

Love DD glad we've got bigger around him as he does sort of bring the average height down. Offensive zone vision and positioning excellent, let him dart in and out of traffic and set up plays it's working. He's still a semi-rookie, should get even better, has heart.

JLP is offline  
Old
01-15-2012, 11:38 PM
  #75
Habiton
Registered User
 
Habiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Holy s*** this is embarrassing. Take your blinders off!

The best way to evaluate your players is to get the opinion of other professional's around the league. DD might, *might* yield you a 3rd, if your lucky a late 2nd.

On to why.

In order for DD to be effective he needs to play against weaker competition and with offensive wingers. Please, just please put him with Darche and Moen for a change then he will feel what Eller does. Does anyone remember when Eller was with Patches and Cole? That line was fricken dynamite, and thats when Patches was playing awful (and it was worse with DD might I add). Eller is the superior talent in all 3 areas. Its pretty obvious to see that, try to take an objective view and you will notice it.

You all say that DD is so great offensively, okay so since he is averaging in the top of PP time, how good is our powerplay doing? Its top in the league right! Because DD is so creative and fast and has such great vision!

Oh wait....its awful. #blamesubban.

DD is consistently getting our best, and most powerful, wingers...and to boot plays against other teams weaker lines. But no!!! he plays more even strength than Eller!! I agree he does, but consider that other teams top 6 always play on the PP, the average is around 3-4 minutes per game and the average top sixer plays around 17-19 minutes per game. So thats about 13 minutes ES. Guess how much Eller and Pleks have?

Also if you recall Martin specifically said that Eller should be proud of his play, he got promoted to top 6 duties. Defensively at least.

Another thing, DD hasnt heard of the word defense. He follows the puck worse than 10 year olds. He needs Patches and Cole because without him he is just a scrub.

Im sick of all this bull**** love for this guy. And if any of you, for a second, think he is better than Pleks, even offensively, then im sorry but your either oblivious or dumb.

/rant.

Habiton is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.