HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price contract discussion

Old
01-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
TonyMarinaro on Twitter:

"After speaking with people very close to the situation I have been told that Carey Price has NOT been offered a 7 year 49M contract."
He has about as much credibility to me as any poster in his thread.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:09 PM
habtastic

I love how people are posting stuff like "**** him!" for a rumour from the ever-reliable RDS bs machine.

Also, it's a negotiation. Even if that was true, I highly doubt Carey Price himself has stamped his feet in the sand with that offer. He does have an agent. If anything F that guy, but even still, I'll react to it when it's confirmed.

Personally he is good enough to deserve 7 million although he hasn't "done" anything to deserve it. He could get that money elsewhere, so it's not absurd.

Hopefully we sign him for less, but I sure as hell hope we sign him. He seemed positive that Gorges is staying long-term, so I think he's happy to stay here and guide us to a Cup in the future, but if he has to put up with the ******** he has to date until we actually become a contender, I'd want to get paid for it too!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
10 years is fine

7m per, not so much.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to Carey Commit
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He has about as much credibility to me as any poster in his thread.
MA Godin reiterated what Marinaro said.

Carey Commit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Habs

If that's the truth, trade him.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:50 AM
MicroFracture

I like how a bunch of posters are all outraged against Price because of a BS rumor from no reliable sources That's even worse than Eklund and you're falling for it

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Padrino86

**** you Rinne

Padrino86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
You want 10 years? Fine, cap hit per year drops from $7 million to $5.5 million.

It sucks because the Habs need him and he knows it.
Exactly this. Long term and high money do not go hand in hand unless the GM is a moron or the player is Crosby.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:42 AM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
He entirely deserves that kind of money!

Bingo!
well if had been the big reason why habs won a cup ala Roy -- icould see that kind of money and maybe length -- nhl is full of very good goalies -- price right now isnt near the topfor alot of goalie stats-- 10 years(if true) thats a long time lots could happen that could weigh down the team with that giant contract-i personally would not give no more than 5 yearcontracts-- i dont think Price isany y better than a fairamount of goalies in the nhl- iwould seriously think of trading him but i dont believe Canadiens could get back what they think price is worth- i could see 6 years 6 mill a season at most

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:49 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

The idea of a long term contract is to SAVE money on a per year basis while the player has a guaranteed long term income

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:10 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

someone should edit the title FAKE or just delete the thread all together

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:49 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Problem is that whatever he's asking, you have to give. 'Cause you threw everything in the garbage for him clearly mentioning that there no other choices but him. He can do whatever he wants. Will the Habs have the nerve to trade him if he really ask too much?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:58 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Problem is that whatever he's asking, you have to give. 'Cause you threw everything in the garbage for him clearly mentioning that there no other choices but him. He can do whatever he wants. Will the Habs have the nerve to trade him if he really ask too much?
Sure. Nobody is irreplaceable.

Don't get me wrong, negotiating is negotiating, I wouldn't take him asking for a 10 year deal as a sign he's an ungrateful little twit who should be run out of town on a rail. But I don't want the Habs signing anybody to 10 years.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:05 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
i wonder if this alleged rumour is driving his Price up or down.
I'd say down, as most people think its an over payment which it absolutely is. I love price but haven't we learnt anything from Luongo?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:59 AM
nhlfan9191

Man, I love price. But eventually GM's have to learn to stop signing goalies longterm. It never works. Sign them long term and they lose all motivation. Not to mention alot can happen to a goalie in 10 years. Look at Jose Theodore. He wins a Vezina and Hart trophy and 4 years later he loses his starting job to the terrible Peter Budaj in Colorado. Dipietro, Loungo, and Bryzgalov are good examples of what happen to stupid gm's. Those three guys will single handedly destroy their organizations. Not sure why he would even want a ten year contract with us. We will chase him out of town over something well before the ten years is up like we have every other goalie and his contract will make him unmoveable.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:05 AM
SeriousHabs

25stanley getting its 15 minute of fame.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:07 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
They might get lucky and get an offer sheet for $7M+. Last year, that was worth two 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. Take it, tank (will happen without Price), reload. The last thing we want is a Luongo v2.0

Old
01-16-2012, 07:18 AM
yianik

We cant be patient if hes UFA after next season. Reality is we have nothing in the prospect pool so the only options other than signing Price are you try to get a No.1 goalie either as a UFA or a trade, which would be costly either way and I doubt wed get a player as good as Price at his age..Anyway, we arent getting rid of Price unless his demands are insane, nor should we. Lunqvist gets just a bit under $7M by the way, which he signed in 2008 , and his numbers have gotten better since then. When you factor in Cap inflation Lundqvist could probably get $8M now. Price hasnt been as good as Lundqvist so hed be below that, probably between $6.5 and $ 7.0M

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Gally11

Think players wouldnt want ridiculous contracts after seeing what some people go through

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:49 AM
GoodKiwi

7m for TEN years?

LOL.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
neofury*

I don't mind if we give him the equivalent of 7 mil per over 10 years but could our team at least be smart about it for once and structure it in such a way where it's a win/win? I'm tired of seeing guys like Kovalchuk being paid 6 mil (cap hit) but meanwhile we will have Price at 7

I want Price at that money cause I have a good feeling about Price career wise. But at least make it in some way better for the team. For example give him a similar deal to Ehrhoff. Throw like 20-30 million at Price in the first couple seasons that way towards the end even if the cap hit is X he'll be getting paid below that.

If they don't structure it properly it will just confirm once again that this management in a cap world simply isn't creative enough. We can't keep going around letting other teams circumvent the cap or even like in Ehrhoff's case simply tool it in such a way that is beneficial to both parties.

Why is it we allow every other team to bend the rules to their benefit but we don't do the same thing? I'm not asking to get fined like NJD but something structured in a better way would be beneficial. If you're going to give a guy 10 years might as well just make it 12-13 and structure it in a much better way this way the remaining 5-7 years = a joke.

We are a team that goes out of their way to not have a level playing field.

Coach? Eliminate more than half of them, our guy needs to be French.
Contract? We're too good to structure them in such a way that shaves 2 million off the cap hit.
Management in general? Eliminate more than half of them, our guys needs to be French.

Apparently this professional sports franchise is being run like some politicians personal beer league team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:19 AM
ScherbakAttack

7 years is already way too much. 10 years? **** that, long deals almost always turn out bad.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
7 years is already way too much. 10 years? **** that, long deals almost always turn out bad.
So how long is good for you? 5 years? 4 years? CP is 24 years old, we sign him to a 4-5 yeard deal he is as good as gone after that at still 28-29 years old. Would be a dumb move in my mind.

I don't like long term deals either but for CP it makes senses and he knows it, 10 years with a cap hit of 5 max 5.5

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Pascal

Every single person complaining about the potential 7M/year salary would probably be the first ones to complain when Price signs somewhere else and we're stuck with an average goaltender.

Price can basically command whatever salary he wants because the team needs him really badly to succeed. I personally don't think he will get 7M but probably something like 6.25M over 8 years.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:10 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Every single person complaining about the potential 7M/year salary would probably be the first ones to complain when Price signs somewhere else and we're stuck with an average goaltender.

Price can basically command whatever salary he wants because the team needs him really badly to succeed. I personally don't think he will get 7M but probably something like 6.25M over 8 years.
That is Cam Ward money for a Rinne term. I could live with that.