HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

League Structure

Old
12-02-2011, 11:36 AM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
League Structure

Hey, I was wondering whether there is some kind of website where you can find info on the structure of the Swedish hockey leagues (both senior and junior- from U16 to U20) and on how these leagues work? Doesn´t have to be in English, can be in Swedish too. Thanks.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:16 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Hey, I was wondering whether there is some kind of website where you can find info on the structure of the Swedish hockey leagues (both senior and junior- from U16 to U20) and on how these leagues work? Doesn´t have to be in English, can be in Swedish too. Thanks.
Do you want info about all the Swedish leauges between seniors and u16? That contains: Elitserien, Allsvenskan, Div.1,2,3,4, J20 SuperElit, J20Elit, J20 div1,2, J18Elit, J18 div1,2 and U16 Elit, U16 div1,

There's a lot of leagues, are you interested in the top leagues in each age group? Just to make it easier to be any help.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:33 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Do you want info about all the Swedish leauges between seniors and u16? That contains: Elitserien, Allsvenskan, Div.1,2,3,4, J20 SuperElit, J20Elit, J20 div1,2, J18Elit, J18 div1,2 and U16 Elit, U16 div1,

There's a lot of leagues, are you interested in the top leagues in each age group? Just to make it easier to be any help.
At the senior level SEL, HockeyAllsvenskan and Division I would be enough. On the youth level the top leagues woul be great. I swear I´ve seen something like what I´m searching for on the website of the Swedish federation or somewhere similar, but I can´t seem to find it...

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:52 PM
bp spec

Here's a link to an overview over the teams in the SEL, Allsvenskan div1 and the j20 Superelit
http://global-4-lvs-turing.opera-min..._2011-2012.PDF

Elitserien http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Elitserien

A Swedish link with more history and the leagues employees.http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/J20_SuperElit

Allsvenskan http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Allsvenskan

A Swedish link with great info http://www.hockeyallsvenskan.se/om-hockeyallsvenskan

Division 1 http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Swedish_Division_1 Very little info, but if you want more tell me. I have a decent knowledge about the league

J20 SuperElit http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/J20_SuperElit

These "icehockey.wikia" pages aren't updated very good, but the majority of the changes are teams jumping up and down between the leagues. The other two links in Swedish are good

Old
12-02-2011, 02:25 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

webhokej24.sk wrote about J18 Elit and J20 SuperElit a year ago or so.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
blackmarketmob

Additional Question on League Structure

I have an additional question relating to the league structure in Sweden. Perhaps a knowledgeable fan could help me with this. I understand the structure in men's works as SEL, HockeyAllsvenskan, then Divisions 1-4. I am looking up one player in particular, who this year was on the roster for Skare BK. Looking at previous rosters on Eliteprospects, http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...1&status=stats I see such an example where Skare BK is listed as "Division 3" for the league, but all of the players are under the heading "Division 1". Some high end players such as Oscar Klefbom have played for Skare BK, but if you go to his Eliteprospects page, and click the link for Skare BK, it lists the team under Division 1 on his stats page, but in the league Division 3 if you click on the team. I noted for 2011-2012, the only Skare BK team I can find is a team in Division 3. Perhaps they lost their D1 team?

From what I have read, it appears that Karlstad is the home of Skare BK, and likely the city has a D1 team, but also D3 team, and I may have seen a junior team in one of the leagues as well from that region. From looking, it appears the player I am looking at http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18196 has been on the roster this year for Skare BK, but their D3 team. He has apparently also played some D2 hockey.

Are Division 3 and Division 2 "pro" hockey, or more of a recreational level? If someone knows, how is the calibre in these leagues?

Last edited by blackmarketmob: 01-12-2012 at 09:07 PM.
blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
I have an additional question relating to the league structure in Sweden. Perhaps a knowledgeable fan could help me with this. I understand the structure in men's works as SEL, HockeyAllsvenskan, then Divisions 1-4. I am looking up one player in particular, who this year was on the roster for Skare BK. Looking at previous rosters on Eliteprospects, http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...1&status=stats I see such an example where Skare BK is listed as "Division 3" for the league, but all of the players are under the heading "Division 1". Some high end players such as Oscar Klefbom have played for Skare BK, but if you go to his Eliteprospects page, and click the link for Skare BK, it lists the team under Division 1 on his stats page, but in the league Division 3 if you click on the team. I noted for 2011-2012, the only Skare BK team I can find is a team in Division 3. Perhaps they lost their D1 team?

From what I have read, it appears that Karlstad is the home of Skare BK, and likely the city has a D1 team, but also D3 team, and I may have seen a junior team in one of the leagues as well from that region. From looking, it appears the player I am looking at http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18196 has been on the roster this year for Skare BK, but their D3 team. He has apparently also played some D2 hockey.

Are Division 3 and Division 2 "pro" hockey, or more of a recreational level? If someone knows, how is the calibre in these leagues?
My guess is that Skåre might have had a team in the third league as well for juniors, however, I'm not completely sure. All that I know is that Skåre gave up on D1 when Färjestad made the decision to have a J20-team in the SuperElit-league because they would have troubles with getting enough players on the roster, and because of that they were relegated to D3 for this season.

It is quite hard to determine the calibre of these D3 and D2 leagues. It all differs based on the geographical location of the teams. Since I'm from the northern parts I'm fairly familiar with the D3 leagues in this area, and the quality is quite low. There's a lot of scoring and it isn't uncommon that there's one team that completely dominates the other teams.

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
icing

Quote:

Karlstad is also the home city for SEL team Färjestad. Färjestad gave up on their junior team for about 10 years ago and decided to move their junior players to the other local team Skåre instead. They wanted their young players to get senior experience in a mens league instead of playing in the J20 Superelit (highest junior division).

Skåre played in div 1 during this time more or less containing young players from Färjestad. After last season Färjestad decided to bring back the junior team again and made a comeback in the J20 Superelit. Skåre had to let go of the div 1 spot, and was moved down to div 3. They realized that they were not able to put a div 1 team together without the players from Färjestad.

icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 08:45 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
Karlstad is also the home city for SEL team Färjestad. Färjestad gave up on their junior team for about 10 years ago and decided to move their junior players to the other local team Skåre instead. They wanted their young players to get senior experience in a mens league instead of playing in the J20 Superelit (highest junior division).

Skåre played in div 1 during this time more or less containing young players from Färjestad. After last season Färjestad decided to bring back the junior team again and made a comeback in the J20 Superelit. Skåre had to let go of the div 1 spot, and was moved down to div 3. They realized that they were not able to put a div 1 team together without the players from Färjestad.
I see. I think Eliteprospects lists the team as playing historically in whatever league they are currently in. Thus, since they are in D3 at the moment, the team is listed as being in D3 in all of the previous seasons, but on individual player profiles, it does list that in prior years they played in D1. I was confused that there may have been two teams, but thank you for explaining that they have been moved down to D3.

The above poster explained a bit that D3 can vary in strength depending on location, but is typically quite weak. How is the calibre in D2? Are these leagues considered "pro" or are they amateur leagues? I would assume they are amateur, perhaps similar in structure to Senior A hockey in Canada.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
The above poster explained a bit that D3 can vary in strength depending on location, but is typically quite weak. How is the calibre in D2? Are these leagues considered "pro" or are they amateur leagues? I would assume they are amateur, perhaps similar in structure to Senior A hockey in Canada.
Indeed, they are amateur. However, I can only really talk about the northern D2 series, and from my experience they are of mixed quality. There are one or two teams that are pretty good, but once they have been promoted to D1 they are generally stomped on because of the lower quality. All in all, due to the large distances there are many clubs in the northern part that are just satisfied with playing in D2 or D3 because it would quite simply just be too expensive to get promoted.

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:41 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Indeed, they are amateur. However, I can only really talk about the northern D2 series, and from my experience they are of mixed quality. There are one or two teams that are pretty good, but once they have been promoted to D1 they are generally stomped on because of the lower quality. All in all, due to the large distances there are many clubs in the northern part that are just satisfied with playing in D2 or D3 because it would quite simply just be too expensive to get promoted.
Yeah, there are a couple of good teams. But they can't put it up against the D1 teams. I look at the D2 as a development for young players that need the experience of senior hockey. For players that need to play against a little bigger, faster and stronger players D2 is good. Talking about junior players now