HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Ferguson Jr. To Become CBJ GM

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2012, 05:00 PM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
You people scare the hell out of me. Really. Let's just go out and hire Mike Milbury while we're at it.
I think I just threw up in my mouth. Mike Milbury, as a joke, just made me die a little inside! lol

Old
01-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
Would Patrick even want the job? He's 65 and not getting any younger. I'm not even sure I'd want him to be the GM; he made some pretty hinky deals with Pittsburgh. I would be happy if he were made interim GM for the rest of the season and then lead the search for a new GM in the offseason.
This is how I see it.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
What crap. You have no faith in the owners. Who are you kidding?

On topic I am with you on this point, JFJ would be a DOWNGRADE from Howson, if that's possible.

I think there are plenty of good choices and JFJ isn't one of them.

I'd like to see Dudley get some consideration among others.
Don't know much about JFJ but it's hard to believe anyone could be a downgrade from Howson! Charlie Sheen could probably do a better job than Howson!

Old
01-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Pray this isn't true.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Don't know much about JFJ but it's hard to believe anyone could be a downgrade from Howson! Charlie Sheen could probably do a better job than Howson!
Well Sheen is a fan of winning. So that's a step in the right direction.

Old
01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFanInFL View Post
+1

If you want to build an organization the correct way as Nashville has, then this makes the most sense.
God I hope we hire him.

Old
01-15-2012, 06:39 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
God I hope we hire him.
#FailForFenton

Old
01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Okay, imagine someone like Doug MacLean in terms of on-ice results, but lacking the engaging personality, with an apparent NTC/NMC fetish manifesting in virtually every single player signed, even fewer prospects in the system, and a complete inability to do anything at the deadline at all.

Criminy, people. How 'bout y'all for once research a guy before you blithely assume with happy grass-is-greener-elsewhere logic that he'd be better? it only helps make us look more like the gaptoothed hillbilly idiots plenty of fools already assume us to be.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Okay, imagine someone like Doug MacLean in terms of on-ice results, but lacking the engaging personality, with an apparent NTC/NMC fetish manifesting in virtually every single player signed, even fewer prospects in the system, and a complete inability to do anything at the deadline at all.

Criminy, people. How 'bout y'all for once research a guy before you blithely assume with happy grass-is-greener-elsewhere logic that he'd be better? it only helps make us look more like the gaptoothed hillbilly idiots plenty of fools already assume us to be.
This is the Jackets board not the Nashville board.

Old
01-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
This is the Jackets board not the Nashville board.
Nashville has a better image ever since that playoff run. But still, touche.

Old
01-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

We are in dead last place in the NHL with the 5th highest payroll in the league. Our farm team is last in their division so our prospects aren't tearing up anything either. How much research do we need to know it isn't going to take much to be an improvement over the current GM?

Old
01-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Been out of town the last couple of days. Saw this headline and almost slammed my computer against the wall until I saw the term 'Speculation'.

As someone who has always gloated in the Leafs' misery, JFJ was a godsend. Could he have learned from his mistakes? In particular, has he been in rehab for his NTC addiction?

Maybe, but I have no interest in finding out the answer. I'm ready to turn the page on Howson, but I'd rather keep him than give JFJ the keys.

Old
01-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
We are in dead last place in the NHL with the 5th highest payroll in the league. Our farm team is last in their division so our prospects aren't tearing up anything either. How much research do we need to know it isn't going to take much to be an improvement over the current GM?
I recommend "any at all". There's hating the job a person's done, and then there's being so blinded to that disgust that you'll take anyone else - even if they're a proven downgrade - simply because they're Not The Current Guy. By endorsing JFJ, you've crossed that line.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:33 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
His results are right there with Mike Milbury's.

Like Goalie deals? How about trading away Tuuka Rask for Andrew Raycroft? At that time, Rask was only twenty years old and was named the top goaltender of previous year's World Junior Championship. Raycroft, on the other hand, had a dismal .879 save percentage last year with a 3.71 goals against average and just eight wins in 30 starts.

The next year, he then sent Toronto's 1st pick to San Jose for Vesa Toskala.

Here's one writer's opinion:
Quote:
John Ferguson Jr. was the worst thing to happen to the Leafs...
In the four year span Ferguson was there, he gave up their 1st round 2004, 1st round 2005(Tuukka Rask), 1st round 2007, 2nd round 2005, 2nd round 2007, 2nd round 2008, 4th round 2005, 4th round 2006, 4th round 2009 and 5th round 2006 picks. Bad signings? Pavel Kubina? A 4 year 5 million dollar deal. UFA signings? How about washed up old players Peca, Nieumendiek, Francis and worst of all Eric Lindros.

He gave Kaberle, Sundin, McCabe, Kubina and Tucker all no trade clauses.

He made MacLean look competent by comparison.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:34 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Ferguson was responsible for the first 3 crappy post-lockout seasons in Toronto in which he signed a bunch of over the hill UFAs. He also made it just about impossible to rebuild by giving NTCs to too many players who had no business having them, ensuring that the team would suck long after he left.

I want the next GM to have some previous experience as a big league GM, but his tenure as the Leafs GM was awful.
He wanted to go the rebuild route but management essentially forced him to try and make the playoffs at all costs.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

I just don't want anything to do with JFJ. If Jim Nill (one of Holland's assistants in Detroit) ever becomes available, pursue Nill.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Matt Foley
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
I just don't want anything to do with JFJ. If Jim Nill (one of Holland's assistants in Detroit) ever becomes available, pursue Nill.
Been there, tried that. Detroit said and GTFOH.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:53 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

JFJ did not get a fair shake in Toronto. He was hired for two reason; because he was young and controllable. MLSE upper management thought they could call the shots, and forced moves upon JFJ in order to make the playoffs. As we all know, playoffs = Profit. But the trades backfired. We didnt get to the playoffs. So we were left with no young assets, aging, overpriced veterans, and a maxed out salary cap (which also screwed JFJ from the get go).

Eventually MLSE realized they didnt know what they were doing. So they hired Burke. Burke came to Toronto with the assurance that he will have complete and utter control of hockey operations. He would not have come here without that assurance. He knew what happened to JFJ and would leave if MLSE ever tried to exert pressure on him.

JFJ is good at drafting. I'll give him that (Rask late 1st round, Reimer, Kulemin). He has a penchant for Europeans/Russians. It will be interesting to see how he can do without so much ownership interference.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Been there, tried that. Detroit said and GTFOH.
Detroit never made Nill available to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
JFJ did not get a fair shake in Toronto. He was hired for two reason; because he was young and controllable. MLSE upper management thought they could call the shots, and forced moves upon JFJ in order to make the playoffs. As we all know, playoffs = Profit. But the trades backfired. We didnt get to the playoffs. So we were left with no young assets, aging, overpriced veterans, and a maxed out salary cap (which also screwed JFJ from the get go).

Eventually MLSE realized they didnt know what they were doing. So they hired Burke. Burke came to Toronto with the assurance that he will have complete and utter control of hockey operations. He would not have come here without that assurance. He knew what happened to JFJ and would leave if MLSE ever tried to exert pressure on him.

JFJ is good at drafting. I'll give him that (Rask late 1st round, Reimer, Kulemin). He has a penchant for Europeans/Russians. It will be interesting to see how he can do without so much ownership interference.
OK, but would the Blue Jackets' ownership be the kind of ownership to pressure a GM?

Old
01-16-2012, 09:49 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

No offense personally to JFJ, but I really think the CBJ need to be aiming higher than him as a potential Howson replacement.

Its been noted in this thread already that he had some trouble dealing with the albatross contracts of players on the Leafs and this is a similar situation here, too many guys on too big of contracts that they are nowhere near living up to.

Unfortunately, any candidate will have trouble dealing with this roster from the outset. Thats why the next head coach hire is so critical, meaning the next GM hiring is maybe the most important hire, ever, in this organization.

No offense to Paul Fenton, but I don't want another "on the job trainee" like we got with Howson, no matter how much is written that he's ready for "primetime". Gambling on potential is what has killed this organization, as they've already proven they can't foster and build on it. Any GM that comes in here is going to be in a deep hole from the outset, better to have someone who's been through the wars at this level...

JFJ is aiming too low, but it would be a classic CBJ-type move, so I could definitely see it happening.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Skraut

I misread the headline and got excited for a bit. Not sure WHY I read that he was to become the President, but I sure wouldn't mind it.

GM... Notsomuch.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:57 AM
jacks johnson

I think the interesting thing to watch going forward, is Patrick. Does he have a past with JFJ ? In any matter, I feel alot more confident that Patrick is now part of our orginization, and think his contacts within the league, will lead to a good gm being hired this time. I mean, when we hired Howson, who was making the decisions ?

Old
01-16-2012, 10:08 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitter on the point View Post
I think the interesting thing to watch going forward, is Patrick. Does he have a past with JFJ ? In any matter, I feel alot more confident that Patrick is now part of our orginization, and think his contacts within the league, will lead to a good gm being hired this time. I mean, when we hired Howson, who was making the decisions ?
Mike Priest had the first and final word. He most likely sought league help in identifying candidates and he had a list of criteria that he wanted, but the search and subsequent hire were most likely "all him".

Consider this: At a time when we talk about how much the lack of NHL caliber front office types habit Nationwide Arena (right now), Mike Priest, a man who had just a few weeks of NHL presidency under his belt and no past experience in any capacity in major sports or the NHL, was the sole guy making the decisions and recommendations to ownership.... SCARY.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:27 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Mike Priest had the first and final word. He most likely sought league help in identifying candidates and he had a list of criteria that he wanted, but the search and subsequent hire were most likely "all him".

Consider this: At a time when we talk about how much the lack of NHL caliber front office types habit Nationwide Arena (right now), Mike Priest, a man who had just a few weeks of NHL presidency under his belt and no past experience in any capacity in major sports or the NHL, was the sole guy making the decisions and recommendations to ownership.... SCARY.
I don't believe this accurate. As I understand it, Hitchcock had a lot to do with vetting the candidates and conducted interviews along with Priest. I had heard Mr. McConnell wanted Hitch to become GM and Hitchcock declined. They then used him as a "senior advisor" as well as coach. If I recall correctly, there were not a lot of solid candidates beating down the door. There were several reasons, not the least of which was having the coach in the decision process.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
JFJ = Do Not Want

Closed Thread