HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Awarding assists

Old
01-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Trepanated

vCash: 500
Awarding assists

Is there any league or set of rules where the awarding of assists is fundamentally different than how it works in the NHL?

Here's the situation last night in my rec league game. I carry the puck into the zone driving on the left side. Backhand cross-ice pass to the right winger all alone in the right circle. He feeds the center down low. Shot, save, rebound, score. Simple rebound off the goalie, no one else on the other team ever touched the puck.

The ref calls the goal unassisted. Now, this is just rec league and I don't consider myself a point *****. Well, no more than anyone else. But unassisted?

This was right at the end of the period so I spend most of the intermission asking the ref about it. He starts off claiming that as soon as the goalie touches the puck, even though it just bounced off his chest, that wipes out the assists. I tell him the NHL doesn't work like that and he disagrees. I am pretty insistent and eventually he agrees that the NHL might work like I say it does, but the IIHF, NCAA, USA Hockey, etc. all work the way he says it does. I'm pretty sure he's wrong there too.

So, is there any league where a rebound off the goalie wipes out the assists? Does anybody play in a rec league that works like that? Are the refs in your rec league really stingy about awarding assists?

Oh, and the funny part was that in the 3rd I took a shot from the point, goalie makes a stick save, my teammate backhands in the rebound, and the other ref gives me a point. So I guess the 2 of them couldn't even keep things straight between each other.

Trepanated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:45 AM
ChiTownHawks

The refs/scorekeepers in my league and probably most rec leagues are just bad at awarding assists unless it is completely clear how it happened. In my league in order to get an assist most of the time you have to have a clean pass that translates directly into a goal. Sometimes you get the assist and sometimes you don't. A couple seasons ago the scorekeeper gave me 6 assists in a game. 2 of which I was on the bench for. It all evened out though b/c he missed so many other ones.

When I get an assist I skate past the scorekeeper and yell, "assist 5 (my number)," but I am pretty sure that just pisses them off so they just ignore me.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They go over the goals in the locker room and we can make changes. I'm sure there are teams that just give out seconds like crazy to pump stats but we're honest.

The refs are too busy making sure people behave on the ice to also play scorekeeper.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Ozz

Our refs credit goals to goalies and people who are on the bench at the time of goal sometimes, so it could be worse... I'm not sure if the refs suck at reading numbers, or if the scorekeeper is deaf or can't read the screen when inputting everything.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Trepanated

Yeah, I'm definitely used to a lot of scoring mistakes by refs. The way I look at it, I'm a crappy D league player, and they're a D league ref. Mistakes happen on both sides, no biggie. It'd be nice if they asked more often when they're not sure who made a pass, rather than guess or just call it unassisted, which is usually what happens. I've never played with anyone who was less than completely honest about what happened on a scoring play.

But some of these guys, it's like they see themselves as protecting the integrity of the game by not handing out assists unless you made a clear cut awesome pass. And that's just not the way the rules work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last 2 guys on the scoring team who touched the puck before the goal scorer get assists, unless they other team actually had possession in between. The refs aren't really supposed to be making moral judgements on how good your pass was.

And the thing about a save/rebound by a goalie wiping out the assists is just ludicrous IMO.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:58 AM
FANonymous

In my league I think the refs are more concerned with keeping the game moving than they are exactly who set up who for what goal. Assists can be changed after the fact by the team if they really feel it is necessary, but if the games drag on the officials have to stay later in the evening.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
They go over the goals in the locker room and we can make changes. I'm sure there are teams that just give out seconds like crazy to pump stats but we're honest.

The refs are too busy making sure people behave on the ice to also play scorekeeper.
That. A few shoves in a beer league can quickly escalate into a gong show the refs aren't paying attention.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:33 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
The refs/scorekeepers in my league and probably most rec leagues are just bad at awarding assists unless it is completely clear how it happened. In my league in order to get an assist most of the time you have to have a clean pass that translates directly into a goal. Sometimes you get the assist and sometimes you don't. A couple seasons ago the scorekeeper gave me 6 assists in a game. 2 of which I was on the bench for. It all evened out though b/c he missed so many other ones.

When I get an assist I skate past the scorekeeper and yell, "assist 5 (my number)," but I am pretty sure that just pisses them off so they just ignore me.
When I was reffing and players came to me for assist, you can be sure you wouldn't see it on the scoresheet, even if it was an assist that would put wayne to shame and I was gonna give to the scorekeeper.

Now, if you come tell me that your friends, so and so, got an assist on the goal, and I wasn't sure about it I would probably give it to them.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Stickmata

Who cares about their points in beer league?

The only stat I care about is my +/-, which I keep in my head.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I've picked up assists at games I haven't even played in.
Sometimes it's the ref, sometimes it's the scorekeeper. No biggie, were not playing for contracts.
Someone in the locker room once questioned a secondary assistant and was laughed at.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Once I played at a high school tourney with a ref/scorekeeper who didn't give a **** about scoring for the visiting team and just put down double zeroes as the goalscorer for all goals, and didn't even bother with assists.

Funny thing is, I wore 00. And I'm a goalie. I "scored" 5 goals and only allowed 2, singlehandedly winning the game by myself.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Hugh Madbrough

Do you get a bonus at the end of the season for the # of assists you get? If so I need a better beer league agent.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:49 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours View Post
When I was reffing and players came to me for assist, you can be sure you wouldn't see it on the scoresheet, even if it was an assist that would put wayne to shame and I was gonna give to the scorekeeper.

Now, if you come tell me that your friends, so and so, got an assist on the goal, and I wasn't sure about it I would probably give it to them.
Haha. I would never have an actual conversation with the refs about it unless they asked me. I would just yell it at the scorekeeper. It is more of a joke than anything since I know they are not going to put it down especially since I am yelling at them.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Trepanated

For those saying "who cares about points in beer league", I agree . . . sort of. 2 things.

One, if you're not going to put at least some effort into getting it right, why keep track at all? I'd be perfectly fine with just not keeping stats. But if you're going to write numbers down, it's nice if they bear some resemblance to reality.

Two, if you've got a ref who simply doesn't know what the rules are for awarding assists, it really makes me wonder what other parts of the rulebook he may not be so clear on. Forgot to mention, one of the things the ref said to me last night was "In basketball, if you pass to someone and they miss the shot but put in their own rebound, do you expect to get an assist?" Uhh, dude. We're not playing basketball. You gonna call me for a double dribble if I stop stickhandling and then start again? No? Okay then.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:58 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepanated View Post
For those saying "who cares about points in beer league", I agree . . . sort of. 2 things.

One, if you're not going to put at least some effort into getting it right, why keep track at all? I'd be perfectly fine with just not keeping stats. But if you're going to write numbers down, it's nice if they bear some resemblance to reality.

Two, if you've got a ref who simply doesn't know what the rules are for awarding assists, it really makes me wonder what other parts of the rulebook he may not be so clear on. Forgot to mention, one of the things the ref said to me last night was "In basketball, if you pass to someone and they miss the shot but put in their own rebound, do you expect to get an assist?" Uhh, dude. We're not playing basketball. You gonna call me for a double dribble if I stop stickhandling and then start again? No? Okay then.
Funny story. A few sessions ago a ref called one of our forwards for "3 seconds in the paint." I think it was her first time reffing hockey...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Funny story. A few sessions ago a ref called one of our forwards for "3 seconds in the paint." I think it was her first time reffing hockey...
Not part of this thread....but several leagues I ref in have this rule. It is a goalie protection issue.

As for assists, I am probably one of the more accurate as well as generous with the 2nds. Also, if I don't have the right number, I will go to the scorer and say "Who threw that up to you?"

I totally agree with what the poster said that "If you are going to count the points, then put in the effort."

Refs get paid so they should do the whole job, not part of it.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We get called if we're in the crease for too long. Faceoff outside the zone. It's actually a good thing as much as the rule sucks, because I am consciously not bumping into the goalie.

Ugh...I'm back on pace for 20g in 20gp with a whopping 2 assists. Note, on pace for 2 assists.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ugh...I'm back on pace for 20g in 20gp with a whopping 2 assists. Note, on pace for 2 assists.
Puckhog

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote