HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tony Marinaro's Ego

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2012, 11:31 PM
number 11

vCash: 500
i hate the 5 second pauses between words when hes starting his show. we get it...you're trying to burn time.

also no one cares that you were right about something, you don't have to keep reminding everyone whenever you predict something.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:15 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

His Mise-O-Jeu segments were punch-in-the-face-worthy. Especially his little money move. If he wasn't a radio host, he would sell carpets.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I've only heard the guy speak once in my life and it was the night of the Cammy trade. I put on TSN 990 after Habs-Bruins game to find out details of the trade. Marinaro was bashing the trade long before we even knew who was involved in the trade. Once he found out Bourque was involved, he went right after the term of Bourque's contract (even though Bourque's contract is in line with his play/production unlike Cammy's contract). It was extremely painful to listen to. It didn't matter who the Habs landed, he was going to bash the trade no matter what.

Marinaro left a very poor first impression with me and I hope I never have to listen to him again. After reading this thread, he sounds like a very insecure know-it-all who thinks he's always right and can't take it if someone's research proves him wrong (twitter blocks, not letting callers speak etc). People like that just aren't happy with their lot in life. We should really just feel sorry for the miserable goof.
I too turned it on that night and felt the same way, the stuff he was saying about RBs game not just his contract made it sound like he had been scouting him this whole season and knew everything about him which could be true but I doubt it.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:22 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

I don't listen to Marinaro since the only Anglo radio I listen to is CHOM. But what makes you people think Cammy was a rat?

Old
01-16-2012, 12:43 AM
panayiotis

funny guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Man, what is with this guy?

His whole TSN radio show has become a repetition of how he is soooo right and everyone else is wrong.

"I told you so... blah, blah..."

Anyone else find him unbearable to listen to?
He openely lobbys for McGuirre to get the Gm gig. McGuirre talks down about him. The guy so dumb. He thinks they are buds. Anyways the dude show is lame. Dont let me get stated on Tieman.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:40 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
How does one tell that you've been blocked?
Try following him... it won't let you do so if you've been blocked.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:46 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

I called in and gave my real name (not Italian), I waited 34 minutes and got bored and hung up. I called back and said my name was Anthony, I was the first caller picked....

I'll bet the first thing he says on the air today is Cammy got a goal in his first game and Bourque didnt get a point. The fact that The Habs won and The Flames lost wont be played up.

He is one of those fact twisters. He is selective about the facts he picks to make himself look right about everything.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:56 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I don't listen to Marinaro since the only Anglo radio I listen to is CHOM. But what makes you people think Cammy was a rat?

Its just that they are both Italian. Marinaro did get a few scoops so people assume the Italians helped each other out....

Old
01-16-2012, 06:13 AM
Halifaxhab

I watch Le 5 a 7 and he's a regular there. thankfully his segments are very short. I've listened to a couple shows and TBH, he is Montreal's version of Don Cherry. He always thinks he's right, no one else matters and he is a loud mouth blowhard.

All that said, he is one of MANY MANY other media types that make a living on bashing the Habs win-lose or draw.

They turn every little incident or comment into a full blown conspiracy. But this is how they make their living.

But I dislike the man as he is overly negative and rarely finds anything good to say about the team when its warranted (like a solid 60 min effort). He will only rant about poor points. He is just too one-sided to take seriously. I guess that's why he works for Toronto Sports Network.

EDIT: He would call for heads to roll if Montreal traded Gomez for Crosby because of Crosby's concussion history and Gomez has obvioulsy turned the corner because he's scored 3 pts in his last 2 games against the Rangers held on a Saturday Night

Last edited by Halifaxhab: 01-16-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old
01-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Pedro McGuire*

As a matter of fact....I told you so. To tell you the truth, im always right.....as a matter of fact, im always right...to tell you the truth I told you so....as a matter of fact, im always right....to tell you the truth....I speak italian and im going to speak it right now on an English radio station cause I like to feel superior to you...as a matter of fact.

There you go I just saved you guys 3 hours of listening to his show.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Throw me into blocked on twitter by tony.

Everyone who tweets him with something that doesn't agree with him 100% is blocked by tony on twitter.

The guy is worse than Alan Walsh.
How can you tell he's blocked you?

Old
01-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Try following him... it won't let you do so if you've been blocked.
But I'm already following him. If he blocks you, are you no longer a "follower"?

Old
01-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Lshap

I listen to him because when you're a Habs-addict, even pompous crack is better than no crack.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:34 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tenorman View Post
As a matter of fact....I told you so. To tell you the truth, im always right.....as a matter of fact, im always right...to tell you the truth I told you so....as a matter of fact, im always right....to tell you the truth....I speak italian and im going to speak it right now on an English radio station cause I like to feel superior to you...as a matter of fact.

There you go I just saved you guys 3 hours of listening to his show.

Thats awesome. Pretty much exactly right.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:45 AM
neofury*

I already know the guys a joke and so do all the people who work with him at 990. The only people who don't realize are his fans and those who take him seriously. He's there for entertainment purposes not to provide facts and look smart. That's why he blocks people on twitter whenever they back him into a corner in an argument. Guy isn't even mature enough to put his ego aside and just admit he was wrong ever. No he goes and blocks people when they're right about something

The funny part is this is an adult we're speaking about not a 16 year old girl, but had I left names out one would assume it was a 16 year old girl I was talking about. The only thing funnier than people thinking Pierre McGuire would/could be a good GM are the people who eat up everything Tony says and agree with it. Neither of these guys have an ounce of credibility when it comes to how a team is run, trades, being a GM etc and yet fans due to their radio/TV personality seem to be easily fooled.

Of course the guy has an ego when a ton of people actually agree with some of the dumbest stuff he says, HF is a great example of it really. Come on here and about 60% of the opinions are regurgitated from 990 and Antichambre.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Jigger77

Terrible terrible "reporter".

Sounds to me like the guy's never played hockey in his life and yet he tries to come across as the end-all, know-it-all authority on the sport. Brutal.

When Pacioretty got hurt he said that's why he'd never enroll his kids in hockey. Completely and utterly clueless. A sensationalist and constantly negative muppet, at best.

He's part of the reason why the Montreal media has such a bad reputation and in my opinion part of the reason why Free Agents don't want to come to Montreal and why we are stagnant as an organisation. Can't stand him, don't listen to him anymore.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Are you a child?

I have a dissenting opinion with you on almost everything. And you made sure to tell me that I am on your ignore list.

Do you see a difference between Tony and yourself?

Carry on!!!!
The huge difference is that his dissention towards Tony is fact based. Yours is just an opinion. I do agree that he's reaching a bit since he also does the same, but there is a difference because Neo doesn't do it for the same reasons. But should I be surprise that you can't differentiate between the two context.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:16 AM
izzy75

Here's the real joke:

Many of you spend hours on hf, spouting opinions, reading posts from 13 year olds, all for a healthy salary of... $0.00

And then we have Tony... earning a healthy salary, cashing in on a plethora of comps, to do the same thing you do (for free), albeit with humor.

So who's the suckas, suckas?

Old
01-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I already know the guys a joke and so do all the people who work with him at 990. The only people who don't realize are his fans and those who take him seriously. He's there for entertainment purposes not to provide facts and look smart. That's why he blocks people on twitter whenever they back him into a corner in an argument. Guy isn't even mature enough to put his ego aside and just admit he was wrong ever. No he goes and blocks people when they're right about something

The funny part is this is an adult we're speaking about not a 16 year old girl, but had I left names out one would assume it was a 16 year old girl I was talking about. The only thing funnier than people thinking Pierre McGuire would/could be a good GM are the people who eat up everything Tony says and agree with it. Neither of these guys have an ounce of credibility when it comes to how a team is run, trades, being a GM etc and yet fans due to their radio/TV personality seem to be easily fooled.

Of course the guy has an ego when a ton of people actually agree with some of the dumbest stuff he says, HF is a great example of it really. Come on here and about 60% of the opinions are regurgitated from 990 and Antichambre.

He should start his show with 'mind of my own' by Strung Out.

Would describe his fans pretty well.

cause I don't have a mind of my own
I am influenced by
everything I see
and I can't help it now
everything in my life
just thinks for me
can't help this habit
I'm in love with my disease
worshiping my idle time
a life I cannot seize
trapped by depression
and I sleep all day
but xanax, valium, attavan
makes it all ok
it's so much more
than a cry for attention
no loving hands can sooth this ache
so much more than a war with the world
it's my own degradation
it's my own self hate
I preach my pessimism
right out loud to anyone who'll listen

Old
01-16-2012, 09:23 AM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I already know the guys a joke and so do all the people who work with him at 990.
How much $ did you earn for your 20,000 posts on HF? Did you 20, 000 posts advance your career? Your RRSP contributions? So laugh away, but only certain people will be laughing all the way to the bank (along with their hockey opinions).

Old
01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Joe Cole

I prefer that he has an opinion. I do not care if I share it, as long as he can back it up.

As for breaking stories... I cannot understand why this is seen as something that the public cares about. Who cares who gets it first? I want to know who gets it and analyzes it right. The speed at which I get something is not more important than the quality of the storytelling.

He can be abbrasive, but that's ok, as long as his opinions are based on solid reasoning that he can back up.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
Here's the real joke:

Many of you spend hours on hf, spouting opinions, reading posts from 13 year olds, all for a healthy salary of... $0.00

And then we have Tony... earning a healthy salary, cashing in on a plethora of comps, to do the same thing you do (for free), albeit with humor.

So who's the suckas, suckas?
Actually, we all have real jobs already, so we don't need to milk the biggest cow in town to make a living. We do it because we love to talk about the Habs. It's a passion. The suckers are the ones listening to him, when they could just talk with a lot of people here instead, and get a broader range of opinion. I've met many posters from this board and most are over 20.

So hey Tony, nice of you for dropping by. One question though, are gonna keep blocking people who prove you wrong?

Old
01-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
How much $ did you earn for your 20,000 posts on HF? Did you 20, 000 posts advance your career? Your RRSP contributions? So laugh away, but only certain people will be laughing all the way to the bank (along with their hockey opinions).
Exactly. The guy gets paid for what he does. The least you'd expect is a passable level of competence. I'm sure there are a lot more out there who actually are involved in the sport and could provide some valuable, objective and interesting insight instead of his tabloidish self-promoting regurgitation.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:39 AM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Actually, we all have real jobs already, so we don't need to milk the biggest cow in town
That Tony... anyone actually, can channel a passion into a career is something to admire. That you have trouble understanding this makes me wonder if you enjoy your 9-5 grind at Casse Croute.

Quote:
The suckers are the ones listening to him
Because they're entertained? Explain how someone is a sucker if they consciously choose a form of entertainment that illicits an emotion they're seeking (in this case, laughter).

Quote:
So hey Tony, nice of you for dropping by. One question though, are gonna keep blocking people who prove you wrong?
Go read my previous posts and then come back correct your paranoid, conspiracy theories. Or readjust your tinfoil hat.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
That Tony... anyone actually, can channel a passion into a career is something to admire. That you have trouble understanding this makes me wonder if you enjoy your 9-5 grind at Casse Croute.

Because they're entertained? Explain how someone is a sucker if they consciously choose a form of entertainment that illicits an emotion they're seeking (in this case, laughter).

Go read my previous posts and then come back correct your paranoid, conspiracy theories. Or readjust your tinfoil hat.

Wow, I really struck a nerve there.

Calm down Tony, this is the price of fame poor chap.

Closed Thread