HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Vokoun

Old
12-29-2011, 02:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Holtby shouldn't be brought up for competitive reasons.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:07 PM
bags92

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Holtby shouldn't be brought up for competitive reasons.
You really think he won't even to be able to compete right now at the NHL level? I know he didn't play very much in the NHL last year but the games he did play in he looked pretty solid. And the way our goalies have looked so far I don't see it hurting us at least seeing what he has to offer.

bags92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:09 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bags92 View Post
You really think he won't even to be able to compete right now at the NHL level? I know he didn't play very much in the NHL last year but the games he did play in he looked pretty solid. And the way our goalies have looked so far I don't see it hurting us at least seeing what he has to offer.
He's barely over .900 at the AHL level, and you think he'd be competitive at the NHL level?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:14 PM
bags92

Quote:
He's barely over .900 at the AHL level, and you think he'd be competitive at the NHL level?
Did you see where he was a few weeks ago? I haven't been saying this all year. But of late he has been playing better , and neither Vokoun or Neuvirth have shown me anything saying they are our #1. I'm not saying he's going to come out and show he's our #1, but I feel that at this point he has to be given a shot, and if he isn't ready, how much worse is he gonna be than Neuvy or Vokoun?

Old
12-29-2011, 03:16 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Bringing Holtby up tells the team that management has no faith in both Vokoun and Neuvirth. That is not a message they should send.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:25 PM
bags92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Bringing Holtby up tells the team that management has no faith in both Vokoun and Neuvirth. That is not a message they should send.
We're almost half way through the season and we are in 10th, How long can we let this mediocre goaltending continue?

And no I'm not saying we're playing this bad all because of our goalies, but it is a big problem.

Old
12-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Who do you send to Hershey to make room for Holtby in terms of roster space and cap hit? Orlov and maybe Perreault are the only real options, unless you want to lose a player to waivers (and even Perreault might be claimed).

Holtby will get his shot when either Vokoun or Neuvirth gets hurt. That's how he got his chance last year, and that's when he'll get promoted this year if he continues playing well.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:35 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Neuvirth was hurt earlier this season and it was Sabourin who got called up.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:44 PM
bags92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Who do you send to Hershey to make room for Holtby in terms of roster space and cap hit? Orlov and maybe Perreault are the only real options, unless you want to lose a player to waivers (and even Perreault might be claimed).
Holtby will get his shot when either Vokoun or Neuvirth gets hurt. That's how he got his chance last year, and that's when he'll get promoted this year if he continues playing well.
I thought we could send Perreault down without him having to go through waivers?

Old
12-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Holtby put up much better numbers in the NHL than AHL last year.
The conclusion you should draw from that fact is that his NHL numbers were largely a product of the particular circumstances that existed at the time, rather than an indication of how he'll perform in the NHL in the future.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Neuvirth was hurt earlier this season and it was Sabourin who got called up.
Do you believe that would be the case again? At that point, we were expecting Vokoun to be an all-star goaltender (and for much of that winning streak he was), so the logic was that we could ride him and let Holtby play more games in Hershey. The situation isn't the same now, and additionally Holtby is playing much better than he was then.

Quote:
I thought we could send Perreault down without him having to go through waivers?
Last season, yes. This year, no. He's no longer waiver exempt. Orlov is.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:20 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
you gotta be kidding.....while the team D has not been good....the goaltending has been awful.

A top goalie, which is what he is supposed to be, can bail out mistakes here and there. If he werent letting soft goals in on a regular basis you might be on to something. As it stands, he looks slow, his rebound control terrible, and in general...a player who just doesnt have a lot of confidence. Hopefully he finds it soon
Watch the D closer: they let the opposition get between them and our goalie (whether it's CoCoon or the kid) regularly. That's just not good D.

Granted, the goaltending has been bad as well. But it's not a one or the other situation: it's both.

The last few games have been a bit better, even if not for 60 minutes.

As we get on in the season, the players will be more willing to grind it out.

We may not be any closer to a Cup (we're actually further away), but the team will still play competitive hockey, and as a Cap fan, that's a plus.

You know I'm right!

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
BTCG

Quote:
We're almost half way through the season and we are in 10th, How long can we let this mediocre goaltending continue?

And no I'm not saying we're playing this bad all because of our goalies, but it is a big problem.
I don't blame you for ducking this, but the real question is:

What is, or low long, will the next rebuild take?

My crystal ball sees George shown the door in June. From there, we'll need to give Mark Howe (if he'll take the job) time to evaluate and make changes.

I think they'll try and sell a 2-3 year rebuild this time.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
bags92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
I don't blame you for ducking this, but the real question is:

What is, or low long, will the next rebuild take?

My crystal ball sees George shown the door in June. From there, we'll need to give Mark Howe (if he'll take the job) time to evaluate and make changes.

I think they'll try and sell a 2-3 year rebuild this time.
I don't think we need to rebuild, I just think we need more consistent play in the net, which of late Vokoun has given us and I really hope he continues to give us. I think we're still in good shape and we still have a very good shot at the cup this year.

And personally I think GMGM gets a lot more crap than he deserves, the guy has put a pretty solid team together again and Boudreau was never able to do anything with them. I feel like Hunter is a better fit for this team, and I think as long as we get more consistent play in net we'll be in good shape.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
I'm an outsider looking in here but I just checked out Vokoun's stats and am not sure what the problem is. He has 16 wins, 8 losses and a .915 save percentage. Not elite numbers or anything but they're pretty good and based on his proven track record, I would expect they'll get even better.

Out of all the goalies who have a minimum 20 games played this year, which is a reasonable sample size, he's 13th in save percentage, which puts him in the top half of starting goalies.

Can someone explain why there seems to be panic here?

Yosemite Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
I'm an outsider looking in here but I just checked out Vokoun's stats and am not sure what the problem is. He has 16 wins, 8 losses and a .915 save percentage. Not elite numbers or anything but they're pretty good and based on his proven track record, I would expect they'll get even better.

Out of all the goalies who have a minimum 20 games played this year, which is a reasonable sample size, he's 13th in save percentage, which puts him in the top half of starting goalies.

That's because he's been a lot better his last 5 games.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
It doesn't work like that.

Ask Al Montoya

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post

Clip off the games he played during the early season winning streak and the current winning streak and you'll see pretty quickly. He was horrendous for a good portion of the season. He was regularly letting in weak goals at bad times. He let in three five-hole goals against the Islanders, for example.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Clip off the games he played during the early season winning streak and the current winning streak and you'll see pretty quickly. He was horrendous for a good portion of the season. He was regularly letting in weak goals at bad times. He let in three five-hole goals against the Islanders, for example.
Okay... So take out his good games and he's been bad. I get it now.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd wager the same would apply to just about every goalie in the league.

Yosemite Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:54 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Lets remember this 4 game win streak we have been shot the first 3. So its not like he benefited from great defense and offensive zone possession.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Midnight Judges

At what point do the Caps start to think about retaining Vokoun? Seems to me he has stolen a few games as of late.

Midnight Judges is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Judges View Post
At what point do the Caps start to think about retaining Vokoun? Seems to me he has stolen a few games as of late.
After the playoffs?

Blades of steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
txpd

after the playoffs is probably too late.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Yeah, well, before the playoffs are over is absolutely too early.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Rumblick

Holtby's better play recently coincides with the Bears playing better (and you can take your pick as to which is the larger factor) . They're playing a much better two way game, with even long-time floaters like Aucoin & Mink playing hard in the defensive end. Holtby's decision-making has been better, as he's not trying to puckhandle as much (something that almost always ends badly for him), and I think he's calmer now for whatever reason.

Honestly, sticking with the two you've got makes more sense in the short term, and calling Holtby up on a temp basis would likely do more harm than good on all counts. It'd mess with the heads of the two you've got, and when his inevitable return to Hershey happens, he'd be disappointed and that tends to reflect in his play. Carrying three goalies would just be a recipe for disaster, IMO.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote