HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tony Marinaro's Ego

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2012, 09:46 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy75 View Post
Here's the real joke:

Many of you spend hours on hf, spouting opinions, reading posts from 13 year olds, all for a healthy salary of... $0.00

And then we have Tony... earning a healthy salary, cashing in on a plethora of comps, to do the same thing you do (for free), albeit with humor.

So who's the suckas, suckas?
Quote:
How much $ did you earn for your 20,000 posts on HF? Did you 20, 000 posts advance your career? Your RRSP contributions? So laugh away, but only certain people will be laughing all the way to the bank (along with their hockey opinions).
So what's your point here? Anyone who makes money from giving their opinions on hockey is beyond reproach or criticism? I fail to understand the logic.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
People around here don't like him because he is critical of the team.
I wonder, are you less critical of him because he is critical of the team then?

Old
01-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
So what's your point here? Anyone who makes money from giving their opinions on hockey is beyond reproach or criticism? I fail to understand the logic.
His point is that we are all suckers for talking about hockey on a free hockey comment board with a broad range of opinions.

What age is Marinaro? I wouldn't be surprised he's going on 37 in 2012.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:55 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

That guy is mad.

Old
01-16-2012, 09:57 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Who cares if Tony is paid, he's a hack. Anyone can have an opinion. I'd venture to say that if most of the better posters here all collaborated, we'd have the most well informed Habs show on the planet. Tony doesn't know **** about hockey.

He's not even paid that much, he's a fat fish in a small pond. TEAM990 isn't that big of a station, they only recently got the Habs rights too. If Tony keeps being a terrible journalist I doubt Bell Media keeps him.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
How much $ did you earn for your 20,000 posts on HF? Did you 20, 000 posts advance your career? Your RRSP contributions? So laugh away, but only certain people will be laughing all the way to the bank (along with their hockey opinions).
So what if he gets paid? Not sure what the point of that is.
Look at the RDS moronic crew on l'AC? Maybe Damphousse can be left out as the only respectable one, but the rest are flat out idiots. Yet they are being paid.
Paid professionals can't be bad at their jobs??

He is a radio host, one that discusses soccer, baseball, football and hockey. Maybe there are other sports, but I never heard him talk about the NBA or Tennis, or any other.
He's not paid to give out his opinion, that's what a consultant is. He's paid to entertain viewers and bring in ratings. I think he benefits from being on the sole english sport radio station in Mtl, just like the whole cast of TSN 990.

Personally, I don't think he's horrible. He does like the sound of his own voice, and he will occasionally have interviews, so it can be entertaining. But if I listened to him every day, I'd probably get annoyed quickly too. I still think his segment is more entertaining than others because he generally speaks about the sports events, whereas I others waste a lot of time discussing BS and sharing their life experience like going to a market and buying a nice batch of apples (or whatever useless info).

But in the end, his opinions don't matter and aren't valued by anybody. So let's not pretend like he's being paid for sharing insightful stuff.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:05 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I wonder, are you less critical of him because he is critical of the team then?
No, sometimes I totally disagree with him and sometimes I don't.

Last edited by gusfring: 01-16-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old
01-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Top Corner2

I stopped listening to him awhile back. Get mad at him is exactly what he wants....ignore him & he will go away.

This is Montreal....you'd think we could have somebody with some hockey knowledge do the sports radio. At least Ron Fournier was a ref....Tony can't even skate!! He only started watching hockey for his job....he is a "soccer" fan first. I stopped tuning in. When he is on, I put a cd on instead.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:19 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
I stopped listening to him awhile back. Get mad at him is exactly what he wants....ignore him & he will go away.

This is Montreal....you'd think we could have somebody with some hockey knowledge do the sports radio. At least Ron Fournier was a ref....Tony can't even skate!! He only started watching hockey for his job....he is a "soccer" fan first. I stopped tuning in. When he is on, I put a cd on instead.
So should Bob Mckenzie not cover the NHL anymore?

Old
01-16-2012, 10:20 AM
izzy75

Because some on this thread are a little thick, let me be clear:

Tony receives a handsome salary to do the same thing you're doing for free.

The smug attitude towards Tony, or any radio personality, should be tempered with the fact that you (me) are doing the same thing... but without compensation. I'm humbly submit you should feel like a loser for not being able to have the tenacity, creativity and gumption to turn your opinions into a career. That's all.

As an aside, I think Tony's opinion regarding the Cammalleri/Bourque is bunk.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Andy

Quote:
So should Bob Mckenzie not cover the NHL anymore?
doesn't Bob McKenzie coach his son's hockey team? I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:24 AM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
His point is that we are all suckers for talking about hockey on a free hockey comment
No, you still don't get it. If spending all your time talking about hockey is how you get off, fire away. But when you get sanctimonious about how you do it vs a pro (the definition of a pro is someone who gets paid for their work), you deserve a slap across the head.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:26 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
doesn't Bob McKenzie coach his son's hockey team? I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere.
Pretty sure his son plays in the ECHL right now.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Andy

Quote:
No, you still don't get it. If spending all your time talking about hockey is how you get off, fire away. But when you get sanctimonious about how you do it vs a pro (the definition of a pro is someone who gets paid for their work), you deserve a slap across the head.
Just because you get paid for your work doesn't mean

1. your opinion is more valid
2. your opinion is more insightful
3. you are immune to criticism.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Andy

Quote:
Oh okay.

but here, he is still a coach
Quote:
but first and foremost he is a father, and even a hockey coach.
http://www.hockeybookreviews.com/200...-mckenzie.html

Old
01-16-2012, 10:31 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Because some on this thread are a little thick, let me be clear:

Tony receives a handsome salary to do the same thing you're doing for free.

The smug attitude towards Tony, or any radio personality, should be tempered with the fact that you (me) are doing the same thing... but without compensation. I'm humbly submit you should feel like a loser for not being able to have the tenacity, creativity and gumption to turn your opinions into a career. That's all.

As an aside, I think Tony's opinion regarding the Cammalleri/Bourque is bunk.
And you're being really stupid and obtuse by not grasping what the rest of us are saying.

Just because he's paid to do something doesn't make him knowledgeable or nice or well-spoken. He's a terrible host who twists facts, cuts people off and self-aggrandizes. If a poster constantly and obviously spun facts around on Hfboards he'd be ridiculed and marginalized as he should be... look at Lafleurs Guy (I kid )

Stop worshiping a guy because he works at an AM radio station!! I'd venture to say that most of the people here are more knowledgeable than he is, he's an uneducated radio jock.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Mike is a fourth liner in the AHL with Houston, been there for a month or so. Talked with Minny's assistant GM Brent Flahr yesterday..says he's a fourth line AHLer..smart player who is hindered by his skating speed.

Let's keep in mind that Bob is close to 60...while by no means ever a star player, he played competitive hockey growing up, and beer league hockey in his early journalism days including his stint in the Sault.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Oh okay.

but here, he is still a coach

http://www.hockeybookreviews.com/200...-mckenzie.html
He may have coached minor hockey in the past but not when his son was in Minor Midget AAA or even Bantam AAA.

The point is, just because you haven't played the game doesn't make your opinion and less valid if you follow the game closely enough.

Peter Gammons never played Baseball does that invalidate any opinions he may have? Don't think so.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Andy

Quote:
He may have coached minor hockey in the past but not when his son was in Minor Midget AAA or even Bantam AAA.

The point is, just because you haven't played the game doesn't make your opinion and less valid if you follow the game closely enough.

Peter Gammons never played Baseball does that invalidate any opinions he may have? Don't think so.
I never said otherwise. I was just clarifying the point you brought up that McKenzie didn't skate(which was a response to a poster who said that about Marinario) which isn't true.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:40 AM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Just because he's paid to do something doesn't make him knowledgeable or nice or well-spoken.
You still don't get it... Tony get's paid to entertain. That's it, that's all. If 990 thought that a statician would bring in ad revenue, they'd go that route. My suggestion... apply for a gig at 990. I have no doubt your resume, which should definitely include experience such as: "Posts daily on HF Boards", will open up doors and wallets.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Jigger77

Quote:

I'm not sure about the baseball comparison. But I don't agree with that. Personally I take someone's opinion on the game who's played it over someone who has not. It just gives the person much more credibility based on personal experience and understanding the physics of the game. Just my personal preference though.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:46 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
That's your opinion. I, and a few others (though I'd venture to say that Tony has a large listening audience) enjoy Tony's show - more than any other 990 program. He's funny and entertaining. That's what I'm looking for in a sports radio show. Sure as hell ad revenues would drop if 990 hired a statistician to drone on and on about % etc.
That's a false dichotomy.

There isn't only one other option from having Tony's uneducated, pompous ass report on the Habs. There are tons of other host possibilities, people that even work there could get promoted. The guy sucks, and he's a detriment to the name of the station.

Is it too much to ask for the leading english sports radio station covering the team I love to employ someone who isn't full of hot air? I don't listen to the radio to be "entertained" by jackasses, I listen to analysis and insight.. connections and insider info. Tony has squat.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
That's a false dichotomy.

There isn't only one other option from having Tony's uneducated, pompous ass report on the Habs. There are tons of other host possibilities, people that even work there could get promoted. The guy sucks, and he's a detriment to the name of the station.

Is it too much to ask for the leading english sports radio station covering the team I love to employ someone who isn't full of hot air? I don't listen to the radio to be "entertained" by jackasses, I listen to analysis and insight.. connections and insider info. Tony has squat.
Don't worry, izzy was one of those in the fire martin thread who disagreed with Martin's philosophy. By izzy's logic, he had no right to critique Martin's philosophy since Martin gets paid, while izzy doesn't

/stupid debate.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:53 AM
izzy75

Quote:
By izzy's logic, he had no right to critique Martin's philosophy since Martin gets paid, while izzy doesn't

/stupid debate.
Dear Lord... I have no right to assume that I:

a. could do a better a job (I couldn't)
b. know who could do a better a job (I don't)

My total sum experience as a hockey coach is... FLOOR HOCKEY.

So, unless you've got radio/broadcasting experience, you don't have a clue what it takes to run a successful radio program.

A radio station lives and dies but ad revenue. I'd wager Tony does more for 990 than most of the talking heads.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

He said it today, that if he doesnt like what someone says on Twitter he blocks them right away.

Closed Thread