HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather keeps Avery in limbo

Old
01-16-2012, 10:38 AM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Me too. On Fridays when its allowable.

Although, if I ever got a demotion down to the mail room, I probably wouldnt wear jeans/sneakers.
Oh of course. I think what I enjoy most about wearing jeans and sneakers to work is that the people who don't get to get so upset about it. Makes it all the more enjoyable.

If I was better at doing my job than individuals who replaced me, and that's why I was sent to the mail room, I'd probably be pretty spiteful as well.

Like most things with Avery, another thing that gets blown out of proportion. He didn't follow the rules and he was reprimanded. I'm not sure what more there is to say. The fact that it's Avery everything gets blown out of proportion. He gets a misconduct in a game and the team is struggling and you get idiots like Mitch Beck blaming him for the losing streak? Seriously? Let's all just continue to refuse to acknowledge all the guys in Hartford who played with Avery previously and said what a big help he was. Let's continue to pretend that all the guys in New York don't get along great with him. Ryan McDonagh boasted about Avery like he was a freaking father to him for crying out loud. But on and on goes the continued crap about what a volatile cancer he is. Is he being extremely passive aggressive with the dress code thing? Sure. And he was benched because of it. I don't understand all the fuss.

I'm not sure what the big deal is here. All of this crap, per usual, is speculation. In typical fashion him being benched for violating a dress code was twisted into him spitting on his coach. Ha. Only with Avery.

Did people think he was going to be thrilled with this? I don't disagree with trying to get him out of there at this point, just because what's the point? Its clear that Torts wants nothing to do with him and he's not going to be resigned. I agree with RB here. Just let him go home. If they don't want to deal with stories like "Avery spit on his coach" when in reality he wore sneakers and jeans, they might as well just send him home.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Oh of course. I think what I enjoy most about wearing jeans and sneakers to work is that the people who don't get to get so upset about it. Makes it all the more enjoyable.

If I was better at doing my job than individuals who replaced me, and that's why I was sent to the mail room, I'd probably be pretty spiteful as well.

Like most things with Avery, another thing that gets blown out of proportion. He didn't follow the rules and he was reprimanded. I'm not sure what more there is to say. The fact that it's Avery everything gets blown out of proportion. He gets a misconduct in a game and the team is struggling and you get idiots like Mitch Beck blaming him for the losing streak? Seriously? Let's all just continue to refuse to acknowledge all the guys in Hartford who played with Avery previously and said what a big help he was. Let's continue to pretend that all the guys in New York don't get along great with him. Ryan McDonagh boasted about Avery like he was a freaking father to him for crying out loud. But on and on goes the continued crap about what a volatile cancer he is. Is he being extremely passive aggressive with the dress code thing? Sure. And he was benched because of it. I don't understand all the fuss.

I'm not sure what the big deal is here. All of this crap, per usual, is speculation. In typical fashion him being benched for violating a dress code was twisted into him spitting on his coach. Ha. Only with Avery.

Did people think he was going to be thrilled with this? I don't disagree with trying to get him out of there at this point, just because what's the point? Its clear that Torts wants nothing to do with him and he's not going to be resigned. I agree with RB here. Just let him go home. If they don't want to deal with stories like "Avery spit on his coach" when in reality he wore sneakers and jeans, they might as well just send him home.
Well, you continue to show a complete lack of understanding regarding how and why we got to this point with Avery, but it seems that you have (finally) reached the right conclusion. Kudos to you on that, I guess.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:05 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If he did, and I don't recall hearing anything like that, it was his call not to go.

That smell you smell is bridges being burned.
he did. pay attention

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:08 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How tough it must be for the fashion guru to dig up a jacket and tie. It goes deeper than his choice of attire.

Still think he's got a future on Broadway?
if injuries force the hand of the rangers to call someone up, i don't think they will pass on avery because of sneakers.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I assume you work. When you go to work, you are expected to live up to the dress code of your work environment. In the business world, if you do not adhere to the rules, you lose your job, especially in these economic times.

Since Avery was aware of the dress code, there are only two possible explanations:

1. He is saying screw you to the people paying his salary
2. He is incredibly stupid

Neither scenario paints him in a complimentary light.
it is a rule and he should follow it.

but the posts, especially by that larry brooks wannabe Rangerboy, about how ken gernander shouldn't have to deal with this is beyond dumb. yes clearly avery has lost his mind for violating the dress code. stupid.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

I really don't understand how wearing sneakers turned into spitting on the coach.

I could see how shoving the coach on the bench or something would get twisted into spitting on him, but these 2 things are nowhere close to each other.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
eco's bones

We all have our crosses to bear. I guess Jesus set the standard for good behavior (becoming the role model for bearing crosses) while bearing his.

Sean (apparently) only will drag his up the hill very reluctantly. What to do? There's obviously no intention of bringing him back--there's still money owing on his contract and possibly two teams anyway who might be willing to deal for him. He's been separated from the group and there's not a lot of incentive in this for him.

Sit him down-see where his mind is at and then decide whether to send him home(or not) to collect what's owing.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
if injuries force the hand of the rangers to call someone up, i don't think they will pass on avery because of sneakers.
See Newbury...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:26 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
See Newbury...
see the whole thread. they are not calling avery up right now because he would be on re entry waivers. nice try.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:31 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I really don't understand how wearing sneakers turned into spitting on the coach.

I could see how shoving the coach on the bench or something would get twisted into spitting on him, but these 2 things are nowhere close to each other.
Because it's Sean Avery.

Quote:
Well, you continue to show a complete lack of understanding regarding how and why we got to this point with Avery, but it seems that you have (finally) reached the right conclusion. Kudos to you on that, I guess.
How? My argument from the beginning of all this so long ago has been that he's a good bottom six forward. I defend him on things because everything gets misconstrued and stated as fact so often with him that it's ridiculous.

Just look at this situation. He wore jeans and sneakers and someone reported he spit on his coach? Seriously?

Remember over the summer when everyone turned it into Avery assaulting a police officer? In the end it was a dick cop basically trying to push his way into someone's house for no reason and he was reprimanded by the LAPD.

This kind of stuff is typical when it comes to Avery because people don't like him.

Have you heard me defend him breaking the dress code? I haven't. I just don't understand how it's a huge deal and it's hilarious how this evolves into what it does. He was reprimanded by his coach. Good for the coach. So why does anyone care? Oh that's right. Because it's Sean Avery. And then someone decided to make up a story about him spitting on his coach. And then guys like Mitch Beck decide they're going to "report" subjectively that Avery is the reason our AHL affiliate has lost four or five games. Then people like you come on and try and convince people like me that it's obviously not a coincidence why everyone makes up things when it comes to Avery, and that it's clearly Avery's fault. Yet again, if you try and use actual facts about players within the Rangers organization that have spoken a bad word about him you can't find anything outside of Steve Valiquette. Yet the rest of his teammates have nothing but good things to say about him. But he's such a cancer.

Does it shock me that someone like Sean would try and subtly get away with violating the dress code when he's in freaking Hartford? No. Do I think it matters even the slightest bit? No. Not at all.

He violated a rule, and he was reprimanded for it. Where is the story? it's pretty cut and dry.

Torts doesn't want him on this club. We've known that since Torts took over as coach. I'm not sure how this changes anything.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:34 PM
mcsauer2738

Speaking of call ups I would've rather had Deveaux up over Newbury. I think Deveaux is actually a better players than newbury and he's one tough SOB. Actually, why isn't Deveaux getting 4th line minutes somewhere in the NHL? He can play the role as heavy weight and also pitch in on offense.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:00 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I am disappointed in Sather. He hasn't banished the nitwit yet. What's he waiting for? Send his ass home.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Esa 10

Avery should just retire and write a tell-all book about his time in the NHL and with the Rangers. It's hard to see anyone giving him a shot in North America again.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
see the whole thread. they are not calling avery up right now because he would be on re entry waivers. nice try.
they are not calling Avery up because they dont want him anywhere near the team.
his time with this team is over.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Because it's Sean Avery.

How? My argument from the beginning of all this so long ago has been that he's a good bottom six forward. I defend him on things because everything gets misconstrued and stated as fact so often with him that it's ridiculous.

Just look at this situation. He wore jeans and sneakers and someone reported he spit on his coach? Seriously?

Remember over the summer when everyone turned it into Avery assaulting a police officer? In the end it was a dick cop basically trying to push his way into someone's house for no reason and he was reprimanded by the LAPD.

This kind of stuff is typical when it comes to Avery because people don't like him.

Have you heard me defend him breaking the dress code? I haven't. I just don't understand how it's a huge deal and it's hilarious how this evolves into what it does. He was reprimanded by his coach. Good for the coach. So why does anyone care? Oh that's right. Because it's Sean Avery. And then someone decided to make up a story about him spitting on his coach. And then guys like Mitch Beck decide they're going to "report" subjectively that Avery is the reason our AHL affiliate has lost four or five games. Then people like you come on and try and convince people like me that it's obviously not a coincidence why everyone makes up things when it comes to Avery, and that it's clearly Avery's fault. Yet again, if you try and use actual facts about players within the Rangers organization that have spoken a bad word about him you can't find anything outside of Steve Valiquette. Yet the rest of his teammates have nothing but good things to say about him. But he's such a cancer.

Does it shock me that someone like Sean would try and subtly get away with violating the dress code when he's in freaking Hartford? No. Do I think it matters even the slightest bit? No. Not at all.

He violated a rule, and he was reprimanded for it. Where is the story? it's pretty cut and dry.

Torts doesn't want him on this club. We've known that since Torts took over as coach. I'm not sure how this changes anything.
Your endless amount of time arguing this subject has been predicated on two central themes:

1. Avery is better than X and X (usually Christensen and Mitchell..I havent seen you mention Rupp's name in a while, hopefully because you realized how untrue that was), and should be playing. Then you blame it on Torts. Its an incredibly narrow-minded approach to analyzing the situation considering Avery has pissed off nearly every coach he's ever had. So are they all idiots, or is Avery the idiot?

2. Everything is blown out of proportion because its Sean Avery. Here you might have some semblance of a point. Unfortunately you discredit it because you cant seem to admit that his continued BS is actually a problem. 'He didnt hit a cop, only had a party that had the cops called. No Big deal....He violated yet another coach's rules, but he didnt spit on anyone. So BIG DEAL!' Justification through the fact hes just an ******* and not a criminal. These are warped attitudes that Avery probably shares, and the lack of contrition and refusal to clean up his act is the main reason hes not in the NHL. And most importantly, its completely justified.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
they are not calling Avery up because they dont want him anywhere near the team.
his time with this team is over.
You're a little off base here. Torts has never wanted him on this team. They called him up once already. They're not going to call him up this year because A.) They're healthier and Torts has no use for him, B.) Reports of other teams wanting to claim him on re-entry waivers would leave us with dead cap space.

It has nothing to do with them "wanting him no where near this team".

Them wanting him now where near Hartford is a different story.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Your endless amount of time arguing this subject has been predicated on two central themes:

1. Avery is better than X and X (usually Christensen and Mitchell..I havent seen you mention Rupp's name in a while, hopefully because you realized how untrue that was), and should be playing. Then you blame it on Torts. Its an incredibly narrow-minded approach to analyzing the situation considering Avery has pissed off nearly every coach he's ever had. So are they all idiots, or is Avery the idiot?

2. Everything is blown out of proportion because its Sean Avery. Here you might have some semblance of a point. Unfortunately you discredit it because you cant seem to admit that his continued BS is actually a problem. 'He didnt hit a cop, only had a party that had the cops called. No Big deal....He violated yet another coach's rules, but he didnt spit on anyone. So BIG DEAL!' Justification through the fact hes just an ******* and not a criminal. These are warped attitudes that Avery probably shares, and the lack of contrition and refusal to clean up his act is the main reason hes not in the NHL. And most importantly, its completely justified.
1. Yes, he's better than John Mitchell, and Kris Newbury, and Erik Christensen, and Mike Rupp. As if I care that Mike Rupp has scored a few goals. People like you couldn't give two craps if Avery score goals, so what's the different? Rupp doesn't have a third of the talent that Avery does and their careers prove that. People ***** about Avery's cap hit and act like paying Rupp what we do is a wise investment. It's hilarious. And I like Rupp. I like everyone on this team. But it doesn't change the facts.

2. Constant exaggeration about a him is not justified. Constantly stating things that aren't true isn't justified. Avery has had attitude issues his whole career. Great. This is professional sports. He's not the only one. And most of his stuff isn't a big deal, it's just the PC police like you are oh so offended by it. Oh goodness! He called his ex-girlfriend sloppy seconds! Oh my! His mother was in the locker room! Oh Lord! He wore jeans and sneakers!

Do you not understand how the actual offenses are no where near what it ever gets turned into?

How does Torts have no blame at all? We're talking about the same guy right? The guy who said he doesn't deserve to be in the league before he became the coach? The guy who benched him in the playoffs for discipline and then got himself suspended (which was even more ironic because Avery was our best player when the games mattered most in that series)?

You can't seriously think that I'm outrageous for defending him all the time when he wears jeans and sneakers and it gets turned into him spitting on his coach. Who's is bigger a-hole? Me? Or the people who actually think that's okay? So many of you guys wait for stuff like this so you can turn it into something it's not. And because you don't like Avery the offense is 10x as bad as if it were any other player. It's a joke.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:21 PM
ruckus*

And BRB, I couldn't care less about the coach crap. Torts hates him. He always has. The fact that so many people who dislike Avery try to act like that has nothing to do with it is offensive to anyone with any intelligence.

How much trouble did Tom Renney have with Sean?

I don't think it says anything positive about Tortorella that he couldn't find a way to utilize an asset. Then again, Torts only knows his way. But then again, why would you assess him any blame when its obviously a clashing of egos. They're both at fault, but Torts is the coach and thus Avery is gone. It's really that simple. But let's not act like Sean is impossible to control and such a loose cannon. He thrived here under a coach that, you know, actually could communicate with players and dealt with them individually.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
chosen

Quote:
And BRB, I couldn't care less about the coach crap. Torts hates him. He always has. The fact that so many people who dislike Avery try to act like that has nothing to do with it is offensive to anyone with any intelligence.

How much trouble did Tom Renney have with Sean?

I don't think it says anything positive about Tortorella that he couldn't find a way to utilize an asset. Then again, Torts only knows his way. But then again, why would you assess him any blame when its obviously a clashing of egos. They're both at fault, but Torts is the coach and thus Avery is gone. It's really that simple. But let's not act like Sean is impossible to control and such a loose cannon. He thrived here under a coach that, you know, actually could communicate with players and dealt with them individually.
Torts has his team playing better than it has in over 15 years and you are incessantly ripping on Torts because you feel he wronged a player you love.

It's beginning to appear that if the Rangers were to win the Cup ths year that that would not be enough for you.

When a player alienates multiple ownerships and coaches, isn't it possible that the fault may lie with the player and not with the coach?

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
DrAStuart

"Will no one rid us of this turbulent 4th liner!?" -John Tortorella via Thomas Becket...

How many times can we have this argument...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:03 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I'm beyond caring if Torts hates him or not.

Are we not sitting at #1 in the NHL? Does Torts know more about the everyday comings and goings of this team than we do as internet posters?

Are both answers yes?

Then goodbye Sean. I'll send you a postcard from the playoffs.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:12 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I'm beyond caring if Torts hates him or not.

Are we not sitting at #1 in the NHL? Does Torts know more about the everyday comings and goings of this team than we do as internet posters?

Are both answers yes?

Then goodbye Sean. I'll send you a postcard from the playoffs.
actually we are tied for number 1 with st louis. so the answer is no. in that case, we can continue to discuss avery if that is ok with you promnite.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:46 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
actually we are tied for number 1 with st louis. so the answer is no. in that case, we can continue to discuss avery if that is ok with you promnite.
It is ok. But come on, they have 2 games on us, and Boston has 1 less. All of these 3 teams look pretty damn good. Avery has had no apparent affect this season is all I'm saying.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
It is ok. But come on, they have 2 games on us, and Boston has 1 less. All of these 3 teams look pretty damn good. Avery has had no apparent affect this season is all I'm saying.
You'll still have those people who will fight everything to argue that he still belongs though

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:58 AM
ocarina

Quote:
1. Yes, he's better than John Mitchell, and Kris Newbury, and Erik Christensen, and Mike Rupp. As if I care that Mike Rupp has scored a few goals. People like you couldn't give two craps if Avery score goals, so what's the different? Rupp doesn't have a third of the talent that Avery does and their careers prove that. People ***** about Avery's cap hit and act like paying Rupp what we do is a wise investment. It's hilarious. And I like Rupp. I like everyone on this team. But it doesn't change the facts.
I don't know what "facts" you seem to be abiding by, but Avery has been almost non-existent this year. He had that nice goal at the beginning of the year shortly after he got re-called, but he did almost nothing after that. And it's not like this year is an anomaly, he was declining towards fringe status last year also. He's simply a player in decline.

And somehow, he's better then Rupp and Mitchell? Rupp brings size, versatility and toughness to the team's bottom lines (as well as the occasional timely goal). Mitchell has actually been a nice surprise this year, he can play down low well and he knows what to do with the puck when he gets it. I guess you could justify him being better then Christensen, but really, you think it's worth it to keep Avery's cap hit on the team when he's done almost nothing this year?

Quote:
2. Constant exaggeration about a him is not justified. Constantly stating things that aren't true isn't justified. Avery has had attitude issues his whole career. Great. This is professional sports. He's not the only one. And most of his stuff isn't a big deal, it's just the PC police like you are oh so offended by it. Oh goodness! He called his ex-girlfriend sloppy seconds! Oh my! His mother was in the locker room! Oh Lord! He wore jeans and sneakers!
You know, the world doesn't revolve around to Avery. It isn't that he isn't PC or that he wore sneakers and a t-shirt that's the issue, he violated team rules that are clearly spelled out. Why should he be an exception to those rules? I don't know if you have a job or not, but if you don't follow a business' rules, say goodbye to your job.

Quote:
How does Torts have no blame at all? We're talking about the same guy right? The guy who said he doesn't deserve to be in the league before he became the coach? The guy who benched him in the playoffs for discipline and then got himself suspended (which was even more ironic because Avery was our best player when the games mattered most in that series)?
Yes, blame the guy who has won a Stanley Cup with Tampa Bay and currently has this team at the top of the Eastern Conference.

Quote:
You can't seriously think that I'm outrageous for defending him all the time when he wears jeans and sneakers and it gets turned into him spitting on his coach. Who's is bigger a-hole? Me? Or the people who actually think that's okay? So many of you guys wait for stuff like this so you can turn it into something it's not. And because you don't like Avery the offense is 10x as bad as if it were any other player. It's a joke.
I think the joke is that you are defending Avery so much and acting like he has "untouchable" status, that he can do no wrong, and that he is still an effective player.

ocarina is online now   Reply With Quote