HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik - Beast Mode

Old
01-08-2012, 03:45 AM
begbeee

vCash: 500
everytime there is a talk about Gaborik and physical contact or softiness, I like to dig this video:

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:56 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
everytime there is a talk about Gaborik and physical contact or softiness, I like to dig this video:
Gaborik might be "soft" but he's not a pansy. He can lay the body and take a hit when he needs to.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Dubi 17 View Post
i agree, maybe not career year.. but a good year. the rest of the team is in snooze mode. what a ****ing horrid start. "its only 3 games in" those people your gonna be hearing 42 games in...."its only 42 games in"... lol
This post is funny

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:29 AM
MSG the place to be*

Gaborik is the definition of soft. No puck is ever his. Carl Hagelin is in his infancy in the league and has mastered the art of protecting the puck and creating space by fighting off checkers. Marian Gaborik meanwhile gets bumped, pushed, or breathed off the puck with ease. Carl Hagelin, Derek Stepan, Ruslan Fedotenko, Vinny Prospal (obviously prior years), etc. are not naturally physical players. But they are naturally competitive, determined, responsible and will give every ounce they have to fight for the puck and to play the Torts style to the best of their ability. That's the style that has made us the most successful team in the league thus far.

Marian Gaborik skates around in that stupid posture where he extends the stick out in front of him with two hands on the stick and his stick off the ice. I have no idea who taught him that but it would be like a basketball player playing man to man defense standing up straight as opposed to the proper crouch. I love Torts but how does a coach allow that. It just boggles my mind.

You guys think its a coincidence that every time Gaborik has a breakaway with someone hunting him down, Gaborik never finishes the play while being tugged at, hooked, or whatever. I'm not talking about scoring a goal, I'm just talking about getting a good attempt off. Gaborik always ends up veering off or falling down in these moments. Now, you could say this is nitpicking but I'm not complaining about the specific instances, I'm speaking about the larger issue in his game. He just can't play through contact. It shows up on almost every shift that he gets the puck. It's like he freezes up when he senses a player coming to pressure him.

Try picturing Gaborik taking a faceoff. Lacks dexterity to do it.
Try picturing Gaborik get mustard on a backhand shot or pass. Lacks dexterity to do it.
Try picturing Gaboirk scoring a big goal and doing a Brad Marchand climb over the glass celebration. Lacks whatever intangible is required to do it.

There are just a lot of "somethings" missing in this guys game. I'm sorry if I can't blindly rally behind his 23 goals and declare him one of the best players in the league. To me he's a hair better than he was last year because he has a burst once in a while but he's still the same fundamentally flawed player.

All in love Ranger Nation.

Last edited by MSG the place to be*: 01-16-2012 at 01:29 AM.
MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

My apologies.

Gaborik's in a slump... so is Richards and Callahan.

Try Richards and Gaborik together and maybe they can get each other going (I am agreeing with another poster).

Last edited by Jabroni: 01-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:37 AM
MSG the place to be*

In a world....where watching a game can give a developed human brain thousands of mental data points....the human race decides to evaluate players on goals and assists....many of which are earned out of sheer dumb luck....

Old
01-16-2012, 01:54 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
I think that you're definitely exaggerating more than a little bit, but you're not wrong; Gaborik struggles through contact, and he is not a good puck carrier. He's a pretty terrible puck carrier, in fact. I just think that you overstate his ineffectiveness. You cannot judge a player strictly based on his offensive production - but, you can't simply ignore it. It's a big factor...because, without goals, you don't win games.

That is why he's an important player. He finishes his chances. Getting chances is a great thing, especially if you can help in generating multiple chances, but if you don't finish the play, it's all for naught. Call it a tap in, call it whatever you want. It's a goal, and it's important.

I get your menntality. I respect it, and generally, I'm more of a "play on the ice" is more important than stats type of fan. But Gaborik gets his goals, which is what he's paid to do. He's frustrating to watch at times, but it's hard to argue with top 5 in goals for.

01-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
His first year hear he faded big time in the second half. I'm now beginning to fear the same thing is happening again. Games are tighter, less free ice, as the playoff push is on. Don't get me started with Richards, major disappointment

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I think that you're definitely exaggerating more than a little bit, but you're not wrong; Gaborik struggles through contact, and he is not a good puck carrier. He's a pretty terrible puck carrier, in fact. I just think that you overstate his ineffectiveness. You cannot judge a player strictly based on his offensive production - but, you can't simply ignore it. It's a big factor...because, without goals, you don't win games.

That is why he's an important player. He finishes his chances. Getting chances is a great thing, especially if you can help in generating multiple chances, but if you don't finish the play, it's all for naught. Call it a tap in, call it whatever you want. It's a goal, and it's important.

I get your menntality. I respect it, and generally, I'm more of a "play on the ice" is more important than stats type of fan. But Gaborik gets his goals, which is what he's paid to do. He's frustrating to watch at times, but it's hard to argue with top 5 in goals for.
I completely agree with this.

He buries his chances. That's why we pay him.

He isn't a puck carrier... someone needs to do that for him, so he can set himself of for the goal.

I feel like this is the same conversation we had this past summer.

Old
01-16-2012, 12:21 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I completely agree with this.

He buries his chances. That's why we pay him.

He isn't a puck carrier... someone needs to do that for him, so he can set himself of for the goal.

I feel like this is the same conversation we had this past summer.
Kovalchuk must be in awe.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Kovalchuk must be in awe.
Why?

He plays a totally different style than Gaborik.

The only similarity they have is scoring goals.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Gaborik is the definition of soft. No puck is ever his. Carl Hagelin is in his infancy in the league and has mastered the art of protecting the puck and creating space by fighting off checkers. Marian Gaborik meanwhile gets bumped, pushed, or breathed off the puck with ease. Carl Hagelin, Derek Stepan, Ruslan Fedotenko, Vinny Prospal (obviously prior years), etc. are not naturally physical players. But they are naturally competitive, determined, responsible and will give every ounce they have to fight for the puck and to play the Torts style to the best of their ability. That's the style that has made us the most successful team in the league thus far.

Marian Gaborik skates around in that stupid posture where he extends the stick out in front of him with two hands on the stick and his stick off the ice. I have no idea who taught him that but it would be like a basketball player playing man to man defense standing up straight as opposed to the proper crouch. I love Torts but how does a coach allow that. It just boggles my mind.

You guys think its a coincidence that every time Gaborik has a breakaway with someone hunting him down, Gaborik never finishes the play while being tugged at, hooked, or whatever. I'm not talking about scoring a goal, I'm just talking about getting a good attempt off. Gaborik always ends up veering off or falling down in these moments. Now, you could say this is nitpicking but I'm not complaining about the specific instances, I'm speaking about the larger issue in his game. He just can't play through contact. It shows up on almost every shift that he gets the puck. It's like he freezes up when he senses a player coming to pressure him.

Try picturing Gaborik taking a faceoff. Lacks dexterity to do it.
Try picturing Gaborik get mustard on a backhand shot or pass. Lacks dexterity to do it.
Try picturing Gaboirk scoring a big goal and doing a Brad Marchand climb over the glass celebration. Lacks whatever intangible is required to do it.

There are just a lot of "somethings" missing in this guys game. I'm sorry if I can't blindly rally behind his 23 goals and declare him one of the best players in the league. To me he's a hair better than he was last year because he has a burst once in a while but he's still the same fundamentally flawed player.

All in love Ranger Nation.
This is one of the best, most truthful posts I've ever seen on the forum. I couldn't have put it any better about the many holes that exist in Gaborik's game. I've stated it over and over again that if Gaborik is not scoring goals, he is about thr most useless player we have in the lineup. When his contract is up in 2+ years, they have to wish him luck and let him walk away because for what he brings to the table, he is grossly overpaid.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Why?

He plays a totally different style than Gaborik.

The only similarity they have is scoring goals.
Goal scoring is about the only thing that Gabby and Kovy have in common. I'm not in love with Kovy's game either but he's a much better player than Gaborik is.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Goal scoring is about the only thing that Gabby and Kovy have in common. I'm not in love with Kovy's game either but he's a much better player than Gaborik is.
A much of a Gaborik fan I am, Kovalchuk is a better player then Gaborik. I agree.

However, I don't think he would work here in NY at all, at least not with Torts.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Ranger109

Lose a game here and there and the team is falling apart...according the boards.

Sure, some guys are in a slump...but wow

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:19 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

We all knew going into this signing that, if healthy, Gabby would supply a steady dose of goals. This is why he was paid so much. That is his job. He gets said job done without being physical, so I'm not complaining. He's far from the total package, but we have complementary players that offset his flaws and supply other facets of the game that he lacks. We're still in first place, but without Gabby I don't think I could say the same about this team.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
A much of a Gaborik fan I am, Kovalchuk is a better player then Gaborik. I agree.

However, I don't think he would work here in NY at all, at least not with Torts.
I couldn't agree more with you. Kovalchuk is a tremendous offensive player, perhaps the toughest player this side of Ovechkin to handle one on one for any defenseman but he is also a sometimes selfish and very lazy player who would never be able to work in a system employed by coaches like Torts, Laviolette, Hitchcock, Babcock and Julian.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

I like the fact that MSG waits until Gaborik is in a bit of a slump to re-appear and start talking **** again. Whereever it is you go when Gaborik gets hot, please stay there.

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:45 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Again...to repeat what I said in the Brian Boyle thread...this board will find ANYTHiNG to complain about...even when the team is playing well. It's kinda sad actually.

I'm sure they will win the Cup one day and someone will complain that Cally shook Bettman's hand for too long or he handed the Cup off to the wrong guy. What ever happened to just enjoying your team playing well?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By BB Gun View Post
I like the fact that MSG waits until Gaborik is in a bit of a slump to re-appear and start talking **** again. Whereever it is you go when Gaborik gets hot, please stay there.
I just went through that guys post history and at least half of them are about Gaborik and the usual nonsense

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Again...to repeat what I said in the Brian Boyle thread...this board will find ANYTHiNG to complain about...even when the team is playing well. It's kinda sad actually.

I'm sure they will win the Cup one day and someone will complain that Cally shook Bettman's hand for too long or he handed the Cup off to the wrong guy. What ever happened to just enjoying your team playing well?
It's cause they don't play how that individual wants them too it seems like... They're doing real well... be happy everyone

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:08 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
I just went through that guys post history and at least half of them are about Gaborik and the usual nonsense
This is my life purpose. I am converting one fan at a time. #itsamovement

Old
01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
mullichicken25

gaborik is the first goal scorer in the history of the game to go into a slump

trade him now while we can still get a 5th round pick and a bag of pucks for him

he's done

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

I disagree. When you have the speed that Gaborik does you are by default a decent puck carrier because of the ability to blow past the opponent. Hagelin does the same thing. Gaborik may not be tops in the league but IMO he is by no means horrible.

01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
gaborik is the first goal scorer in the history of the game to go into a slump

trade him now while we can still get a 5th round pick and a bag of pucks for him

he's done
and 7.5 million in cap room but who's counting