HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Voynov in LA to stay?

Old
01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 500
Is Voynov in LA to stay?

Is he legit? Based on his performance this year, what's the feeling his role will become? His stats sure look good but I'm sure you avid Kings followers have some insight to share.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Looks poised to be a #3-4 powerplay quarterback who has good defensive sense. As long as he is on his ELC, I can't imagine LA moving him unless something undeniable is on the table i.e. a signed, star goal scoring winger. He compliments Johnson and Doughty very well and gives the club the ability to pair the two on special teams, and have Voynov run the second unit.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:25 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

He needs to teach DD/JJ how to get their shot off

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:26 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

yeah, I agree with Telos. I don't see Voynov getting moved unless another Mike Richards becomes available.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I can't imagine LA moving him unless something undeniable is on the table i.e. a signed, star goal scoring winger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi11 View Post
yeah, I agree with Telos. I don't see Voynov getting moved unless another Mike Richards becomes available.
Woah! So you guys honestly think he's come that far that fast? You'd think management would only move him for a "star goal scoring winger"? That's some serious praise. Not disagreeing with you but has management tipped its hand a bit in regards to how valuable they see this kid? I'm a little bit surprised by the level of praise here. Happy though – I own him in my lifer pool.

Old
01-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Woah! So you guys honestly think he's come that far that fast? You'd think management would only move him for a "star goal scoring winger"? That's some serious praise.
Yep, I think so, given that Dean hasn't showed a willingness to trade defensemen, well....at all. Trading for Ryan Smyth is an exception, it cost Quincey, but that's the kind of deal I expect. But considering that we're looking for it, and Voynov's been so good, it's very possible he does get dealt.

Quote:
Not disagreeing with you but has management tipped its hand a bit in regards to how valuable they see this kid?
Not necessarily, but I think them keeping him up and carrying 8 D shows they think very highly of him.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:45 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Woah! So you guys honestly think he's come that far that fast? You'd think management would only move him for a "star goal scoring winger"? That's some serious praise. Not disagreeing with you but has management tipped its hand a bit in regards to how valuable they see this kid? I'm a little bit surprised by the level of praise here. Happy though – I own him in my lifer pool.
I think they'll move Johnson before Voynov. He's already about as good, is better in some areas and he's still on his ELC. For a rookie, he's very poised and makes few mistakes.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:53 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Dean needs to keep drafting Russians, seems to be working for him.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Voynov is a very good young Dman and he made Martinez (whom I like) expendable for sure.

IF there is a deal out there for a Nash or Vanek I would move JJ but I'm not sold on the idea at this point. JJ, DD, and VV are pretty good now and in the future.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Kingurentai

Young Alexei Zhitnik Jr.

That answer your question?

As someone else said, he better not be moved barring package for an elite winger. Even then, he should be kept. Kid has "it".

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
It's not like he would be traded straight up for a star winger, but the only way they would let him go is if he was required in a package for a player the Kings can't ignore, which would be a franchise level goal scoring talent up front, like a Nash or Carter, etc... We only have two needs on this team. I top flight goal scoring winger, and some depth on our bottom 6. The depth can be accomplished easily without having to lose an asset like Voynov.

Otherwise, he fits his role perfectly for us, and at a low cost.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:21 PM
voynov26

The kid is for real! Just look at my username

But really... this kid is just has high hockey sense defensively and offensively with or without the puck.

Like someone said earlier he can teach DD and JJ how to get off a shot more cleanly at the point.

You don't have to slap it every single time like these two does.

voynov26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:22 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It's not like he would be traded straight up for a star winger, but the only way they would let him go is if he was required in a package for a player the Kings can't ignore, which would be a franchise level goal scoring talent up front, like a Nash or Carter, etc... We only have two needs on this team. I top flight goal scoring winger, and some depth on our bottom 6. The depth can be accomplished easily without having to lose an asset like Voynov.

Otherwise, he fits his role perfectly for us, and at a low cost.
What he said.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Whiskeypete

Telos is dead on with this. VV has given DL no option but to keep him in LA. VV is the reason that Moreau was waived when MR, WM came back off the IR. VV will likely be the cause of the next guy to get sent down/waived. who that may be is unknown at present, but the kid has earned his spot on the roster. months ago both DL and TMu said publicly they want the young guys like VV and Lokti to "make it a difficult decision" for them. well they both have done that, obvioulsy to different degrees.

they both are learning the speed and pace of the NHL presently. both of them have shown signs of being outmatched and playing behind the opponent, but at this point its expected. it isn't every game and it isn't often, but they have both had games they both show they are rookies.

VV has given DL a BIG (imo) option here. the kid is showing great poise at both ends of the ice. to the point i could see DL entertaining an offer on JJ. DL at this point could make a move with JJ, VV or AMart depending on what the return is. not saying that he would, but it is possible now when you consider the possibilities.

VV WILL NOT be back in MAN at this point

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I've been pretty impressed, nice poise with the puck in the offensive zone, makes simple, effective plays breaking out and he's not a liability on defense.

He might not have the ability of the top offensive guys on the blue line (Drew, Jack) but he might be a more natural PP QB than those guys. Looks pretty comfortable up top there.

He's never going to be huge but even if he were, being physical wouldn't be his game. It's good that he's had a couple of tough but smart coaches to help him find his own way on defense but also not let him lose focus on playing in his own end.

01-16-2012, 03:38 PM
SFKingshomer

He's been good but I don't think he makes Johnson expendable.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
He's never going to be huge but even if he were, being physical wouldn't be his game. It's good that he's had a couple of tough but smart coaches to help him find his own way on defense but also not let him lose focus on playing in his own end.
very good point i forgot to touch on. he has been either good or bad against a few guys that have a significant size advantage. particulary against BOS he struggled against their big forwards. combine that with their speed and accuracy and he had a tough game.

he is smaller, but does a tremendous job of maintaining inside shoulder (positioning) and leverage against opponents. this is why he has done well in most cases against bigger opponents. he will only get better as his size-strength improve and also his understanding/reactions/reads at the NHL level.

i hate 'labeling' guys, but he reminds me of a few older D men that were smaller in stature. Zhitnik and Rafalski, both had very good two way games. both were small but both were solid. he continues on in this route he will be a tremendous asset to the team

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

IF IF IF...you move him, it's only after next year or mid season. Basically what we did with Simmonds...yea he had a great rookie season and then he tapered off....then he tapered off some more.. then we dealt him.

But if he stays as good as he has been. I think Johnson is gone for a forward by trade deadline next season.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
kingsofLA

I totally see a quicker Rafalski in Voynov. Small dude, with a pretty quick and accurate shot. And i just loved how he decked Smyth in the 3rd period last game. He even has been better on defending the cycle which to me was his weakness. He is a keeper on Kings, i would like to see how much he can grow in the NHL

kingsofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:44 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I expect Voynov to be a 50 point defenseman down the road, and he's solid in his own end too. Over a full season, he'd hit 33 points with the pace he's on, and that's on the lowest scoring league in the NHL as a rookie.

Him, DD and JMFJ will likely equate to our Rob Blake, Darryl Sydor, Alexei Zhitnik trio of the early 90's, and potentially could exceed that if all three get going to their potential.

I'd be shocked if DL trades him, at least not until he needs a new contract. Even then, unless his demands are Mike Cammalleri-like in nature, Voynov is here to stay, barring some ridiculous overpayment.

When you have three of your top four defensemen potentially set for another decade, that affords you a level of luxury which can not be valued in a trade.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Future Norris trophy winner

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
BringTheReign

I see Voynov as a taller, heavier version of Visnovsky. He can handle the bigger forwards well that Visnovksy sometimes struggled with.

However, I don't see him making Johnson expendable yet. I think management would much rather use one of their high-profile defensive prospects (Forbort, Deslauriers, Muzzin, or Voynov) in a package like that before JJ just because he is proven in more than one NHL season.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:53 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Young Alexei Zhitnik Jr.

That answer your question?

As someone else said, he better not be moved barring package for an elite winger. Even then, he should be kept. Kid has "it".
I think his ceiling is higher than Zhitnik's.

Think Paul Coffey.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Yosemite Sam

Weird question... How's his English?

Old
01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Dean needs to keep drafting Russians, seems to be working for him.
Well Russians that are willing to come over and play in NA as juniors or in the AHL anyway.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote