HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does Tort's get Brad Richards going??

Old
01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
another thing with Richards is keep him on the point on the PP.We brought him here to be the PP qb and Torts is switching him back and forth so much,the guy probably isnt sure what to do(lol).keep him on the point with DZ.stop with the constant switching of him back and forth between point and the wall.
I agree with this and think this goes unnoticed. When BR was switched back to the point a few weeks ago he made a comment IIRC that he was happy to be back on the point because he feels more comfortable there. That lasted like a game or two and then Torts had him back down low instead. The guy is better on the point and feels better there. Put him there and let him stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Yeah but he faded big time in the second half, and I pray it's not happening again. Gaborik needs space and open ice, and as the season wears on the games get tighter. I hope this isn't happening again.
I don't think its a coincidence that Gabby's slump has coincided with Arty and Stepan's. DStep looks like he's getting his game back together after this weekend, but before that he was barely visible for a stretch of games there. Gabby's play last night set up our only goal in the game. He does need space but he has really shown a physicality this season we haven't seen from him since he's been in New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
How are Eriksson and Benn doing this year without Richards? They haven't missed a beat. Both hovering at a point per game. Richards was sold as a #1 center. That type of player needs to make the players around him better. It's really that simple.
Yeah...which was kind of my point. He was playing with some pretty damn good players. In fact, his whole career he's played with some pretty damn good players. IMO if you play with pretty damn good players your whole career and average around 80 points a year, it isn't shocking to think that with mediocre offensive players next to you you'll finish with around 60-65. Do all of us expect more? Sure. But you've got to look deeper at it. I'm pretty sure this was discussed a lot in the offseason but anyone that thought BR coming here was going to be this elite signing obviously hasn't paid much attention to him. He's not a dominant player. He never has been.

The thing with Richards also is that he's very smart and when he makes things happen they usually happen pretty quickly. He's not going to be like a guy like Dubinsky where he's dominating an entire shift and then finishes it off with a strong move and a goal. Usually when Richards makes a great play you didn't notice him at all and them boom, all the sudden something happens.

Quote:
That's all well and good, but my point remains that he isn't that far off from his historical totals on the PP. He's on pace for 23 points, and he put up 29 last year. That's a 6 point differential. Meaning he'd finish with 63 points instead of the 57 he's currently on pace to put up. I'm also not seeing these brilliant opportunities that he's setting up his teammates with that they're unable to finish. I see a lot of forced passes into skates, and blind passes into open ice.

Would he benefit from a better option on his left wing? Absolutely, that's a no-brainer. However, when you make an investment in a guy like Richards, he comes with the expectation that he should be able to make the players around him better and not be so reliant on them for his own success.
As is the case many, many, many times, it seems that your issue lies more with the organization for signing, and your own expectations.

I really don't think that this Richards is any different from the player he has been his whole career. There have been plenty of opportunities that haven't been capitalized on. Another 9 points and he's got 40. If he had that right now he'd be looking at close to 80. On this roster, without playing with Gabby, that's damn good. Not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I agree, to an extent. But how many "skill players" have we had come through here in the last 15 years that fell on their face because of sheer willingless to engage and get their noses dirty?

Talent is not something you can necessarily teach. But I like Tortorella's message that you're going to have to get a little dirty no matter who you are.

And, hey, guess what - its working. Although, looking at your posts, one might think we're scratching and clawing for a playoff spot again
Yes but you're comparing a player like Gaborik to the traveling mercenaries we brought in during those years.

Torts' philosophy I do not disagree with. But he's clearly shown that he is not the definition of a coach that adapts to players and tries to accentuate their attributes. Instead, he tells them that they're all going to do everything the way that he tells them to.

What's frustrating to me is his inability to recognize that every player brings something different to the table.

We are winning, and that's all that matters. I just hope that this team can win a Stanley Cup with a coach who openly admits he doesn't pay any attention to our opponents, doesn't work on offense at all, and whose best attribute as a coach is that he motivates. Hopefully we can win it all before that well runs dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APuckHog View Post
The 2 assists in the last 18 games is alarming. Guy is an elite passer, so that doesnt sit very well.

Even though he has been in a slump we have been winning, so thats the good thing. Hopefully he can get out of the slump when Dubinsky is back and that line can contribute.

Lets also net forget Callahan only has 1 goal in the last 10 games, so he too is someone who is in a slump.
Callahan has been more invisible this season than any other in his career IMO. And by that I mean that there are actually shifts in each game where you don't notice him. I'm not saying he is invisible all game or is playing badly. It's just that I hardly remember any games in his career where he isn't noticeable on any shift. This season there seem to be plenty of those. His off game is still a hundred times better than other players. I'm not knocking him. But yes he has struggled offensively.

Add to that the fact that Dubi has just regained his confidence (and of course he had to get injured...lets hope he comes back playing the way he was right before he got hurt), and the revolving door of other mediocre offensive players that Richards has had to play with.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:25 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
He needs to step up his production.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Yeah...which was kind of my point. He was playing with some pretty damn good players. In fact, his whole career he's played with some pretty damn good players. IMO if you play with pretty damn good players your whole career and average around 80 points a year, it isn't shocking to think that with mediocre offensive players next to you you'll finish with around 60-65. Do all of us expect more? Sure. But you've got to look deeper at it. I'm pretty sure this was discussed a lot in the offseason but anyone that thought BR coming here was going to be this elite signing obviously hasn't paid much attention to him. He's not a dominant player. He never has been.

The thing with Richards also is that he's very smart and when he makes things happen they usually happen pretty quickly. He's not going to be like a guy like Dubinsky where he's dominating an entire shift and then finishes it off with a strong move and a goal. Usually when Richards makes a great play you didn't notice him at all and them boom, all the sudden something happens.
I'm not entirely sure how one of the most productive centers since the lockout could be viewed as anything but elite. Nor am I entirely sure how someone could not have high expectations for a guy who has shown prior to his arrival in NY that he can make big plays and make the players around him better. I'm not expecting him to be Dubinsky. I'm expecting him to be the elite playmaking centermen that he's been his entire career. He's not generating offense. He's feeding off of his linemates and playing a very timid brand of hockey.

Quote:
As is the case many, many, many times, it seems that your issue lies more with the organization for signing, and your own expectations.

I really don't think that this Richards is any different from the player he has been his whole career. There have been plenty of opportunities that haven't been capitalized on. Another 9 points and he's got 40. If he had that right now he'd be looking at close to 80. On this roster, without playing with Gabby, that's damn good. Not bad.
If you think Richards is playing as well right now as he has previously in his career, then I have to honestly question if you've ever watched the guy play before. He looks lost on the ice more often than not and Callahan is the better player of the two for 80% of the shifts they take. You can lament about "Well, if he only had 9 more points we wouldn't care" but the fact of the matter is he doesn't have 9 more points.

As per usual, what you deem as a "problem" -- i.e., having entirely realistic expectations for a player based on his performance history -- I deem as "being realistic." You're okay with a few wheels falling off the wagon as long as it keeps moving forward, while I'm well aware that those wheels need to be addressed if we want to make it the entire way to the final destination. Agree to disagree.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:48 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

ahhhhhhhh… no more "clutch" players please! Consistent scoring is MILES more valuable in the NHL than so-called clutch scoring. Mike Rupp is a guy that scores clutch goals. Richards is paid to produce all the time.

Richards' game hasn't been bad, but he needs to produce more for the money he's being paid. At the beginning of the season I posted that he (and we) would have a very successful year if he could hit the 75-78pt mark. That was figuring our PP was going to be miles ahead of where it's been the last few seasons thanks to a legitimate PP distributer and shooter on the top unit.

To be realistic, unless the PP takes off at this point I could see him possibly hitting 65pts. That's just not good enough. Slats paid for a lot more points from Richards when he made his contract offer.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Amen.

How about next year trying to re-unite the Pack line.

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi/Anisimov-Dubi/Anisimov-Callahan

BOLD = Deadly
Lets make sure Kreider is even NHL ready first, let alone 1st line ready.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Stepanformayor*

Great point Bleed Ranger!! In the scenerio is Stepan on the 4th line??

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure how one of the most productive centers since the lockout could be viewed as anything but elite. Nor am I entirely sure how someone could not have high expectations for a guy who has shown prior to his arrival in NY that he can make big plays and make the players around him better. I'm not expecting him to be Dubinsky. I'm expecting him to be the elite playmaking centermen that he's been his entire career. He's not generating offense. He's feeding off of his linemates and playing a very timid brand of hockey.
Well I don't give much credence to the first year after the lockout. Scoring was insane that year. Richards had an excellent, excellent year in 2009-10. Crosby and Ovechkin are elite type of players. Players that take over games. We've obviously got different definitions of elite. I consider it to be a player that its impossible to debate the alternative. Your definition sounds like you're one of the people who thinks someone like Barry Larkin is a hall of famer.

What my point is about your expectations is that they're based on his career highs, not averages. Even if you include his 91 point season after the lockout and exclude his shortened season in 08-09, he averages about 78 points a year. He has 31 points right now and hasn't played all that well the first 43 games of his nine year contract. I bring up 9 more point because with a player like Richards, is it really crazy to understand that players like him who score as many points as he does have games where they record three or four points? If he had one game where he had a goal and two assists, and another three point game, he'd be on pace for 74 points. Again, his "elite" average since the lockout is 78.

Are you basing your criticism entirely on the fact that you don't think he'll ever have a three point game? I just don't understand what you're getting at.

You're knocking him for his production when he's really not too many good games away from being close to his average with mediocre offensive talent in his first year on a team.

Quote:
If you think Richards is playing as well right now as he has previously in his career, then I have to honestly question if you've ever watched the guy play before. He looks lost on the ice more often than not and Callahan is the better player of the two for 80% of the shifts they take. You can lament about "Well, if he only had 9 more points we wouldn't care" but the fact of the matter is he doesn't have 9 more points.

As per usual, what you deem as a "problem" -- i.e., having entirely realistic expectations for a player based on his performance history -- I deem as "being realistic." You're okay with a few wheels falling off the wagon as long as it keeps moving forward, while I'm well aware that those wheels need to be addressed if we want to make it the entire way to the final destination. Agree to disagree.
I'm not saying he's playing well. What I'm saying is that he's not been some major disappointment either.

If your entirely realistic expectations are him scoring around his average since the lockout, then he's only a couple of good games away from that.

The way you're talking about him you'd think he had no chance at this point to reach those.

Last edited by ruckus*: 01-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old
01-16-2012, 02:03 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
ahhhhhhhh… no more "clutch" players please! Consistent scoring is MILES more valuable in the NHL than so-called clutch scoring. Mike Rupp is a guy that scores clutch goals. Richards is paid to produce all the time.

Richards' game hasn't been bad, but he needs to produce more for the money he's being paid. At the beginning of the season I posted that he (and we) would have a very successful year if he could hit the 75-78pt mark. That was figuring our PP was going to be miles ahead of where it's been the last few seasons thanks to a legitimate PP distributer and shooter on the top unit.

To be realistic, unless the PP takes off at this point I could see him possibly hitting 65pts. That's just not good enough. Slats paid for a lot more points from Richards when he made his contract offer.
We discussed this in the Dubinsky thread, but one thing that infuriates me are comments like these about a player getting more money. You can pay them more money, it doesn't make them a different player. If Richards has a couple of multi point games getting around 75 points is not out of the question. That's right around what he has averaged since the lockout.

Once everything fits under the salary cap, it's about the entire team. Not how much players X, Y, and Z are making.

All that matters is if the team is winning.

Is it winning?

Old
01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

i dont remember exactly where or when but richards has said it himself hes still settling in with the guys around him. judging by feedback from young guys like del zotto hes been a good mentor. his 6 game winning goals all of which came in clutch situations have to count for something. hell deffinitally show up come playoff time being that hes a ppg player in the playoffs, and hes been there done that.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:08 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
We are paying an awful lot of money to a guy that has 31 points at this time of the season!! The top end guys in the NHL have alot more than 31 points. I am pretty sure that Sather was expecting alot more at this point. Thoughts..........
Dude,NYR is playing as great as they are in reason that Richards is here.He is huge for this team and has 6 GAME WINNING GOALS..So, if it wasnt for him NYR may be minus 6 wins. He will be fine.He is a great fit,its his first season here and not even a full season.I have not one complaint about him. Plus he doesnt exactly have 70 point players on his wings either.He is doing great with what he has been given.His points will pick up.So why dont you just relax and chill.

People around here complain about everything.Isnt anyone ever happy????

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Dude,NYR is playing as great as they are in reason that Richards is here.He is huge for this team and has 6 GAME WINNING GOALS..So, if it wasnt for him NYR may be minus 6 wins. He will be fine.He is a great fit,its his first season here and not even a full season.I have not one complaint about him. Plus he doesnt exactly have 70 point players on his wings either.He is doing great with what he has been given.His points will pick up.So why dont you just relax and chill.

People around here complain about everything.Isnt anyone ever happy????
Because all summer we heard how he was going to elevate everyone's game here, "elite" players are supposed to do that. So now it's not his fault because his line mates suck? No excuses, Richards has been a disappointment

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Stepanformayor*

Come on Ruckus he has 2 assists in his last 18 games. You have been around these boards along time and i respect that but he is not what we all thought when we signed him to a 9 year deal? You keep saying that he is 2-3 3 point games from having better numbers. The fact is he has not had these games, and if he had we would not have a thread talking about his lack of production. I keep hearing that he has no left wing, no pp guy, Malkin had 5 points last night in there game with no Sid, Letang,Stall,a bangrd up Benn. He finds a way to get it done. Thats elite to me. Let me ask you a question. If BR finishes with 55-60 points this year, is he worth 6.6 million to the Rangers?

Old
01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If 65 leads the team in points don't even talk about playoffs.
Why. Highest point total on the team right now is what 64 and we are around the top of the NHL with half the season to be played. Pro rate that single player point total for a full season and its 68 points for the team lead.

I hate it when people make statements like this.

01-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Why. Highest point total on the team right now is what 64 and we are around the top of the NHL with half the season to be played. Pro rate that single player point total for a full season and its 68 points for the team lead.

I hate it when people make statements like this.
Do you really think we can maintain first in the league all season with our offense? We need more scoring.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Because all summer we heard how he was going to elevate everyone's game here, "elite" players are supposed to do that. So now it's not his fault because his line mates suck? No excuses, Richards has been a disappointment
Again, I think this is a problem for the individuals who ever thought he was elite. He's a very good player. He has been good some games, very good other games, and bad others. He hasn't been great, that's for sure. But I'm not sure why people think he's an elite player. He's an elite passer. He's made some pretty good ones since he's been here. A lot of those haven't been converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Come on Ruckus he has 2 assists in his last 18 games. You have been around these boards along time and i respect that but he is not what we all thought when we signed him to a 9 year deal? You keep saying that he is 2-3 3 point games from having better numbers. The fact is he has not had these games, and if he had we would not have a thread talking about his lack of production. I keep hearing that he has no left wing, no pp guy, Malkin had 5 points last night in there game with no Sid, Letang,Stall,a bangrd up Benn. He finds a way to get it done. Thats elite to me. Let me ask you a question. If BR finishes with 55-60 points this year, is he worth 6.6 million to the Rangers?
He hasn't been good lately. I'm not even trying to argue that he's had a good year so far. I just think that my expectations of him haven't been too far off, and it's because I never classified him as elite. I thought he would help most on the power play. That hasn't been the issue but I think that our power play has much bigger problems than Brad Richards. This team can't even get set up. And I hate the fact that Torts won't just keep him on the point where he's comfortable and has the ability to use his vision and passing more effectively.

And I keep saying he's 2-3 good games away from it basically being a typical season for him because it's the truth. What do you think has greater odds...him having those games at some point or him never having then? Based on his career, I'd bank on him having them. So who is crazier? Me for thinking that could happen, or people who want to assume they won't and he'll continue to be a "huge disappointment"? I think basing your opinion of him on the first half of the first season of his nine year contract is lunacy. Comparing him to Malkin isn't fair. Malkin is such a physical presence. Richards has never been. Malkin is an absolute bull and can take over a game by himself. He has elite potential. Richards is not that type of player.

As far as your question goes, I don't really know how to answer that because I don't look at things in such a black and white type of way. To me it's about the overall team. I don't give two craps about cap hit once the season starts. Not two freaking craps. It is irrelevant to me. I look at the team as a whole. If this team has home ice advantage in the playoffs and makes some noise and its a successful year, why do I care what BR's cap hit is? While I agree that 55-60 points is a little lower than I would hope for, it wouldn't be the end of the world to me. I think that he's already played a role and increased our depth exponentially and that's a big reason we're first in the Eastern Conference right now and not battling for a playoff spite, despite the fact that he hasn't had a great start.

Once the playoffs start the slate is wiped clean. How do we know what's going to happen? If he finishes with 55 points and has a great post season, are you going to care that he had 55 points?

Old
01-16-2012, 02:44 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Do you really think we can maintain first in the league all season with our offense? We need more scoring.
I don't disagree that we need more scoring, but how many more points do you get for winning 10-1 instead of 2-1? None.

I think what this team needs most is to get the third line going again. Last year Prust-Boyle-Feds was so good for us. Probably was we didn't have a very good couple of top lines. This season our top two lines have been pretty good, but our bottom six scoring has been non-existant.

We can get buy with our best player scoring in the mid sixties as long as we get production from the entire roster.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:45 PM
petejudge

even if his numbers aren't where they were expected to be, we're still 1st place in the east. without richards do you think we'd be there?

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
If we continue to give up less goals than we score, yes. Quite simple, really.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Dorado*

Good points , what everyone seems to forget is playoff bids arent given out at the 40 game mark and if Richards doesnt get started there is no guarantee we stay in the top seed let alone the top 8 . We have a nice cushion built up but all it takes is one dreadful Month o a rash of injuries ( let's not forget we haven't had our usual rash of shot block related broken bands and feet ) and the losses will pile up .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:00 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
even if his numbers aren't where they were expected to be, we're still 1st place in the east. without richards do you think we'd be there?
Exactly. The argument trying to be made is a little too black and white for me. Without Richards who knows what in the world the lines look like.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Stepanformayor*

Maybe it's me expecting these 7 million dollar guys to do what other teams 7 million dollar guys do. I agree that it does not matter if we go deep into the playoffs. I just thought that I would seemore at this point. Great discussion none the less.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:18 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
That's no one's fault but this board's. There was multiple people who watched him in Dallas who said that he wasn't the elite player he was being touted as in FA. He wasn't even the best playmaker on his team last year, idk where all this "elite passing" came from. He was good at SHASing on the PP, but in Dallas he never was one of those guys who could get a pass through 4 people. He got his points by playing smart, great chemistry with Neal and Eriksson, and playing 1:40 average on a decent PP. Not because he's some magical passer.

He'll come around and probably get 70 points, especially if Dubi and Cally can heat up. But it may take a bit for him to find some chemistry, and he's not going to put up 90 points on a PP as horrible as ours is. Especially with Torts shifting him from his strong position every 2 games and not even putting him on the #1 unit. But many people on this boards touted him as more than he was, and now those same people are mad. Only yourselves to blame.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
That's no one's fault but this board's. There was multiple people who watched him in Dallas who said that he wasn't the elite player he was being touted as in FA. He wasn't even the best playmaker on his team last year, idk where all this "elite passing" came from. He was good at SHASing on the PP, but in Dallas he never was one of those guys who could get a pass through 4 people. He got his points by playing smart, great chemistry with Neal and Eriksson, and playing 1:40 average on a decent PP. Not because he's some magical passer.

He'll come around and probably get 70 points, especially if Dubi and Cally can heat up. But it may take a bit for him to find some chemistry, and he's not going to put up 90 points on a PP as horrible as ours is. Especially with Torts shifting him from his strong position every 2 games and not even putting him on the #1 unit. But many people on this boards touted him as more than he was, and now those same people are mad. Only yourselves to blame.
This

I expected 70-75 points from Richards and for 6.66 mil that's roughly fine

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Exactly. The argument trying to be made is a little too black and white for me. Without Richards who knows what in the world the lines look like.
They'd look "lesser," of course, but there is no doubt that he hasn't been what he's expected to be.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Amen.

How about next year trying to re-unite the Pack line.

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Dubi/Anisimov-Dubi/Anisimov-Callahan

BOLD = Deadly
I hesitate to do this in a Stepanformayor thread, but where the hell is Stepan in those line combos?

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote