HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Winter Classic Ticket Prices

Old
01-16-2012, 01:34 PM
RonTextall

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to RonTextall
Winter Classic Ticket Prices

If there was a thread on this, please link.

A friend and I are talking about making the trip from Ottawa to Detroit next year. For those of you who saw the game in Philly, where did you get your tickets? Did you have to pay a premium? How was the availability?

Thanks in advance.

RonTextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:48 PM
FlyerGuy18

Tickets weren't made available to the public. I know Season Ticket Holders from both teams got an abundance.

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post
Tickets weren't made available to the public. I know Season Ticket Holders from both teams got an abundance.
Yeah and if you tried to go through stubhub or something like that tickets were $400 + each.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
One word: Absurd.

Although if the game is in the Big House I assume the prices will be lower because there will be 60k more seats.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:43 PM
ORYX

As far as I knew the only way to get tickets was A) Season ticket holder of one of the teams, B) Win the right ability to purchase through NHL.com or C) Get them second hand through either lucky people who bought them or ticket sites that somehow get them.

In otherwords, it isn't impossible nor hard if $$ isnt an issue. As you can expect to shell out easily $300-500/per ticket.

Prices may go down for the next one if it is infact in Detroit at that 100,000 seat stadium, but even then, I can see it selling out at current prices simply due to the following of both teams and the proximity to both fan bases.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Flyers STH were offered the same amount of tickets that they have for regular games. I'm not sure about Rangers STH, but I imagine it was the same. The rest were done in a lottery, or taken by the Phillies/NHL. There were an abundance of tickets available on Stubhub and eBay, you just had to be willing to pay for them.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:54 PM
pelts35.com

If you were willing to wait until right around game time, tickets were being sold for less than face value.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
RonTextall

Ahhh...season ticket holders. It's unfortunate how greedy the people of Ottawa got with their All Star tickets. Even a friend of mine is selling a pair for $500. Face is probably half that.

Any stories about what people were paying scalpers?

Old
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
HartsyMania
What, me worry?

My tix were in section 303.

Face: $198
I paid: $475 (each) on stubhub.

HartsyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post

Although if the game is in the Big House I assume the prices will be lower because there will be 60k more seats.
doubt it

more seats available, just means the more tickets scalpers will buy

re: UFC 129

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:33 PM
s3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
more seats available, just means the more tickets scalpers will buy
.... which is exactly why if you wait until game time, you'll get them for below face value. Scalpers had excess inventory for this years classic, and fourteen of my friends, yes, fourteen, bought tickets below face within an hour of puck drop.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:04 AM
RonTextall

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
.... which is exactly why if you wait until game time, you'll get them for below face value. Scalpers had excess inventory for this years classic, and fourteen of my friends, yes, fourteen, bought tickets below face within an hour of puck drop.
Good tip. I have a similar strategy for the AS game in Ottawa. If it falls through I will drive 5 mins to watch it at a friend's place.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:34 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
Works for every single major event (within reason... some events like a world championship in Philly you won't get for under face)

Personally I have:

-Gotten HOF club tickets to game 3 of the 08 World Series for $250 each (little above face IIRC... were selling for over $1000 each on stubhub the day before)

-Gotten 400 level tickets to the 08 World Series for $150 each (little above face IIRC... were selling for $600+ on stubhub the day before)

-Got Winter Classic tickets in the 300 level for under face value.

-Got Stanley Cup tickets in the 100 level for $100 above face.

-Got lowers to the Eagles' Super Bowl vs. the Pats for $200 under face each (missed some of the pregame festivities, but it was totally worth it).

------------------------------------------------------

The Super Bowl is the absolute best event to wait for... you need to be super crazy to be willing to travel 1000+ miles to a stadium without tickets. Consequently, there are very few potential buyers remaining on the day of the game and there are tons of excess tickets for sale. And not many MFers are crazy enough to walk around with thousands of dollars in cash on their person. You can get some amazing deals.

Friend of mine who waited longer than I did (missed kickoff) ended up sitting in the club section next to some prominent celebrities and he paid less than I did.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:

No they won't.

With 100K seats, they have a chance to make as much money in that one game than a bottom third of the league put together.

For tickets, there was never a regular sale. STH's for both teams got first chance, and then I believe partials were next. There was a lottery after that I believe.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:23 AM
EvilAsh
Lockouts Rule!

Got mine on Stubhub way too early. $500 for row 15 diamond club A. Seats weren't too bad but had to watch about 25% of the game on the jumbotron. If I waited to get my tix I could have gotten the same seats for about $350-$400. Had more fun at the Alumni game though. If they have one in Detroit, and I'm sure they will, pick up some tix for that one.

EvilAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
-Gotten 400 level tickets to the 08 World Series for $150 each (little above face IIRC... were selling for $600+ on stubhub the day before)
Was offered $2000 for 3 tickets walking up to the gate for Game 5. Turned it down, but some events can get crazy. Winter Classic isn't one of those though. It's still a regular season event and I suspect that given the limited number of venues, many of us are likely to see a few more games in Philly in our lifetime. Same for most of the northern major markets.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Was offered $2000 for 3 tickets walking up to the gate for Game 5. Turned it down, but some events can get crazy. Winter Classic isn't one of those though. It's still a regular season event and I suspect that given the limited number of venues, many of us are likely to see a few more games in Philly in our lifetime. Same for most of the northern major markets.
Yeah game 5 got crazy b/c there were tons of cops outside the stadium preparing for the mayhem that would ensue if we won it. It drove most of the scalpers a distance away from the stadium and made it difficult to get tickets.

I went down w/ my father planning to just pay out the you-know-what to get in and see history (I was 100% confident we were winning that game), but when we couldn't find any legit scalpers to haggle with, we ended up going up to the 3rd base ticket window and dropping a name of a high-ranking (but not well-known to the public) Phillies executive, saying that this exec had left us tickets on a total long-shot desperation bid to get into the stadium. God was with us... the ticket person was distraught when she couldn't find our tickets (because one of her bosses had supposedly left us the tickets) and so after she checked 3 times, she apologetically said the best she could do was to print us 2 standing room only tickets free of charge.

You should have seen the smile on my face when she said that... I nearly blew it. But she gave us the tickets and we got into game 5 for free haha.

Pretty much one of the best nights of my life.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
s3x

I got into Game 2 in 2008 for $100 over face because I waited until the delay.

Got into the second day of Game 5 for $200.

Old
01-17-2012, 03:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
No they won't.

With 100K seats, they have a chance to make as much money in that one game than a bottom third of the league put together.

For tickets, there was never a regular sale. STH's for both teams got first chance, and then I believe partials were next. There was a lottery after that I believe.
I assume the face value will be about the same (wasn't really talking about face value in the original post, should have made that clear). I meant cheaper meaning Stub-hub because with 100k seats, in theory it will be an easier ticket to get compared to the 50k or so that were probably available (but not sold to the public) in Philly. The face value of WC wasn't too bad. About what I would expect to pay for such an event. Stub-hub, on the other hand, was absurd.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
s3x

Quote:
I assume the face value will be about the same (wasn't really talking about face value in the original post, should have made that clear). I meant cheaper meaning Stub-hub because with 100k seats, in theory it will be an easier ticket to get compared to the 50k or so that were probably available (but not sold to the public) in Philly. The face value of WC wasn't too bad. About what I would expect to pay for such an event. Stub-hub, on the other hand, was absurd.
EDIT: Nothing to see here. Move along.

Last edited by s3x: 01-17-2012 at 03:36 PM.