HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All David Desharnais talk here.

View Poll Results: Is Desharnais' future at center or wing?
Keep him at center long-term. Play him with two big wingers. 54 83.08%
Shift him to the wing. We need more size at center. We can't give him two big wingers. 3 4.62%
Keep him at center for next season. Draft a center this year and shift DD to wing when he comes up. 8 12.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbA View Post
DD is without a doubt the only true centre man on this team. He has better vision, hands and a bigger heart than Eller and especially Pleks. I does not matter who he plays with. He is creative and is very dangerous in the offensive zone. He is also pretty darn responsible defensively. Whenever Pleks had Cole, Cammy, Patches or anyone else, what happened? Not much. Pleks is not creative and smart enough to be a centre man. He doesn't have a good enough shot to be a scoring winger. We are basically stuck with a third line player that is being played like a top six forward. Big, big problem. DD has saved this team from complete and total embarrassment. I love this guy. He also plays far beyond his size. He is fun to watch.
Please tell me you have never watched a hockey game before this season.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:59 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Please tell me you have never watched a hockey game before this season.
Man...I am totally with you on that one!

+1

Old
01-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
The arguments of DD needing "these type of linemates" or "getting this type of shielding" and this, that and whatever is gettting a bit silly. He produces. He's been a top notch producer at every level he has played and now-after his first full season equivalent (80 games)-he's a top producer for an NHL team. What is so astonishing about that?

What has been the motivation to shield this guy? He's undrafted and the team has virtually no financial interest vested in this guy. He's a freebee. I suppose that he's a francophone could be a motivation, but I tend to doubt that. He's used in order to maximize his advantage. Period. And why? Because he has the opportunity to be more productive than anyone else in the situations (linemates, game situations) in which he's being used.

If someone wants to look to find a shielded player on the Canadiens, then look no further than Gomez. His contract has allowed him a buffer from the reality of his putrid game. He hasn't deserved top 6 minutes in well over a season, yet Jacques Martin may have cost himself his job by continuing to insert Gomez in situations (PP/overall ice time) which clearly weren't deserved.

That's shielding.

That DD would ultimately surpass Plekanec in offensive production should come as no surprise. He was a much more productive player than TP was at any previous level. This is not to demean TP or state that DD is a better overall player; it merely is a logical deduction based on past experience.

Enjoy the kid. The Canadiens are lucky to have him.
The motivation to shield him is the desire to win hockey games. Having pretty good two-way centers in Plekanec and Eller and to some extent Gomez and excellent winger depth allowed Martin to use a pure offensive center with a weaker defensive/possession game in entirely offensive situations, starting his shifts closer to the opponents net and against weaker opponents. If the first two lines played their opponents equal while Desharnais supported by two legit top-six wingers shredded their opponents then Montreal would be a good Even Strength team.

This was wildly successful at the start of the season as Montreal was one of the league's top even strength teams. It fell apart later due to injuries and after the coaching change Cunneyworth no longer employs said strategy. Actually Cunneyworth hasn't employed any consistent line strategy at all.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:16 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post

Kaberle would have been part of the solution if we had a shooter as you said. I doubt even when Markov is back that its going to work out since neither are shooters.
Yep.
Markov will help the PP a bit but not as much as people think IMO.
Markov's advantage over Kaberle is his shot which is actually pretty good. We'll still need a PP point shooter though.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
BubbA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
Man...I am totally with you on that one!

+1
Boys, boys, boys.....easy does it. Pleks is nothing more than a third line player....excellent penalty killer, good energy, good checker.....with zero offensive skills. Listen to what your eyes see....watch him closely....he effectively eliminates his team mates. In pond hockey terms, he is a hog. Do yourselves a favour and watch him closely next game. You will see that his ability to create plays is very limited. DD BY FAR, the best play maker on this team. Not even close.

Old
01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
Holy s*** this is embarrassing. Take your blinders off!

The best way to evaluate your players is to get the opinion of other professional's around the league. DD might, *might* yield you a 3rd, if your lucky a late 2nd.

On to why.

In order for DD to be effective he needs to play against weaker competition and with offensive wingers. Please, just please put him with Darche and Moen for a change then he will feel what Eller does. Does anyone remember when Eller was with Patches and Cole? That line was fricken dynamite, and thats when Patches was playing awful (and it was worse with DD might I add). Eller is the superior talent in all 3 areas. Its pretty obvious to see that, try to take an objective view and you will notice it.

You all say that DD is so great offensively, okay so since he is averaging in the top of PP time, how good is our powerplay doing? Its top in the league right! Because DD is so creative and fast and has such great vision!

Oh wait....its awful. #blamesubban.

DD is consistently getting our best, and most powerful, wingers...and to boot plays against other teams weaker lines. But no!!! he plays more even strength than Eller!! I agree he does, but consider that other teams top 6 always play on the PP, the average is around 3-4 minutes per game and the average top sixer plays around 17-19 minutes per game. So thats about 13 minutes ES. Guess how much Eller and Pleks have?

Also if you recall Martin specifically said that Eller should be proud of his play, he got promoted to top 6 duties. Defensively at least.

Another thing, DD hasnt heard of the word defense. He follows the puck worse than 10 year olds. He needs Patches and Cole because without him he is just a scrub.

Im sick of all this bull**** love for this guy. And if any of you, for a second, think he is better than Pleks, even offensively, then im sorry but your either oblivious or dumb.

/rant.
The way desharnais set up the first goal last night says it all imho. Pass reception that was abselutely insane ... yes he worked well and made a nice pass ... but the play started with that pass reception. Watch it again ... and ask yourself this ; How is desharnais getting carried by cole and maxpac exactly ?

its called offensive flair, and this guy has plenty. He might not have the better shot/dekes/defensive play (btw, its still a lot better than what you give him credit for) ... but his offensive flair isn't far from pleks if not superior already. A lot of people said that luc robitaille had an average shot and was slow ...couldn't deke a 10 year old ... that doesn't matter. Comming from Maxpax's mouth : ''desharnais is the best player I ever played with'' .

Old
01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Boys, boys, boys.....easy does it. Pleks is nothing more than a third line player....excellent penalty killer, good energy, good checker.....with zero offensive skills. Listen to what your eyes see....watch him closely....he effectively eliminates his team mates. In pond hockey terms, he is a hog. Do yourselves a favour and watch him closely next game. You will see that his ability to create plays is very limited. DD BY FAR, the best play maker on this team. Not even close.
Yet Plekanec is by far a better player (even offensively) than DD, who I like a lot. If Desharnais had Plekanec's skating ability and size, he would be a better offensive player than Plekanec, but that's not the case.

Plekanec is in a cold streak right now, but he is our only legit first line player. AND, he has more heart than anyone on this team not named Gorges.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 281
People still hating him because he's small??? Ridiculous.

Here are some numbers:

24 assists, best on the team, 30th in the NHL... 12th among centers.
17 ES assists, best on the team, 23th in the NHL... 9th among centers.
+8, second best on the team, best among our forwards.
50.1% in the faceoff (Plekanec is 50.6%)

He has 54 pts in 94 games... at the same age St. Louis had 60 pts in 147 games.

He's on pace for 57 pts and will likely lead the Habs in pts at the end of the year.

Don't get me wrong, Plekanec is my shutdown guy by DD is way more creative offensively.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
if Lars Eller really works on his defensive game in the off season, DD's offensive growth could make Plekanec expendable.

Could probably get something pretty nice for him at the draft!

Old
01-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Et le But

Quote:

Plekanec has no offensive skills, that's why Martin played him on the point in the PP.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Student price at movies?

Love DD glad we've got bigger around him as he does sort of bring the average height down. Offensive zone vision and positioning excellent, let him dart in and out of traffic and set up plays it's working. He's still a semi-rookie, should get even better, has heart.
Haha yes but you partially answered it right there. He makes really quick sharp pivots and turns. Plays with a short stick obviously and it allows him to handle the puck more quickly. Something he likely wouldn't be able to do if he was the size of Blunden.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Plekanec has no offensive skills, that's why Martin played him on the point in the PP.
That's a terrible argument. I do agree that Pleky > all for now, but what you said doesn't prove anything except that Martin made a terrible mistake.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
That's a terrible argument. I do agree that Pleky > all for now, but what you said doesn't prove anything except that Martin made a terrible mistake.
Except it means he has legitimate offensive weapons in his shot and passing ability, he was not suited for that role by any means but it's not like you would see Gill or Blunden ever given that role.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Danadiens

Last year it was Subban is already better than Markov.

Now it's DD is better offensively than Pleks...

You people have short memories.

DD is on a hot streak, Pleks in a cold streak. It's as simple as that.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
Last year it was Subban is already better than Markov.

Now it's DD is better offensively than Pleks...

You people have short memories.

DD is on a hot streak, Pleks in a cold streak. It's as simple as that.
No, we should drive every player on a cold streak out of town and then blame the management.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:27 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Except it means he has legitimate offensive weapons in his shot and passing ability, he was not suited for that role by any means but it's not like you would see Gill or Blunden ever given that role.
I see where you're going. True.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Desharnais is such a crafty guy. He uses his diminutive stature to his advantage, often slipping checks and into tight spots. He has quick hands too. I am happy we have him.

Doesn't mean I want to trade Plek. Unless ... 1st rnd pick + is offered. Then if we're out of it,I'd listen to offers.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Gally11

So far it looks like DD would.. but Pleks has been playing below expectations and is still around same amount of points as DD.. If Bourque ignites him then we should see better overall production from Pleks

Old
01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I really get annoyed with people saying that DD plays with the best wingers, and therefore, he is successful. First of all, cole and pacioretty were not supposed be our top two wingers, and secondly, cole didn't look right this season until he got paired with desharnais. Finally, was it a coincidence that Cammalleri actually looked like a somewhat dangerous weapon whenever they would move him to desharnais' line?

At some point, you gotta realize that DD benefits from those guys as much as they benefit from him

Old
01-16-2012, 08:37 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Yet Plekanec is by far a better player (even offensively) than DD, who I like a lot. If Desharnais had Plekanec's skating ability and size, he would be a better offensive player than Plekanec, but that's not the case.

Plekanec is in a cold streak right now, but he is our only legit first line player. AND, he has more heart than anyone on this team not named Gorges.
Pleks is not a 1st line centre, he is a lot like Koivu in the fact they are both excellent 2nd line centres who we put on the 1st line because we have no better options. IMO we have 3 legit 2nd line centres and I would hate to lose any of them.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I really get annoyed with people saying that DD plays with the best wingers, and therefore, he is successful. First of all, cole and pacioretty were not supposed be our top two wingers, and secondly, cole didn't look right this season until he got paired with desharnais. Finally, was it a coincidence that Cammalleri actually looked like a somewhat dangerous weapon whenever they would move him to desharnais' line?

At some point, you gotta realize that DD benefits from those guys as much as they benefit from him

THIS. I'm so sick of that argument being rehashed again and again.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Pleks is not a 1st line centre, he is a lot like Koivu in the fact they are both excellent 2nd line centres who we put on the 1st line because we have no better options. IMO we have 3 legit 2nd line centres and I would hate to lose any of them.
I agree with this, and it's mostly a good thing, though also a headache. This team needs high end forwards but our centres aren't necessarily a weakness even if we lack an ideal 1st C.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:14 PM
durojean

If we could move Pleks for another big winger I would do it. Eller needs the ice time Pleks has right now to develop offensively and if Gomez is unmovable we have 4 center and I'd be comfortable with a Gomez Gionta + big winger we got for Pleks as a third line.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
A scrub? Bahaha. Can't take this seriously anymore.

Bashing Pleks or Eller is stupid, like you say. Bashing Desharnais is just as stupid.

Ps. Desharnais produced with Leblanc and Cancerlleri too, but I guess they were responsible for that. He produced with bums last year, but let's just forget about that.

Maybe you should look at things objectively. Cammalleri, Leblanc, Cole, and Pacioretty have done nothing but compliment Desharnais' skill and vision.

Oh and lol, the fact that you're acting like Subban isn't the biggest joke on the power play (this season) is gut wrenchingly funny.
Again watch the games. Its there. Im not denying his offensive skill but he is far, extremely far, from an NHL Top 6 center. In order for him to be effeftive he needs two power forwards beside him. Simple! And since when does 1 game of playing with Cammy constitute making him better? Its 1 game ffs and it was a lucky goal iirc. DD gets absolutely manhandled. Watch the PP, PK gets room, so does Cole, Patches etc butthe second DD touches it they rush him and its a turnover. His knock isnt size.

Its this:

Slow (he isnt quick or very explosive, see St. louis)
Strength (NOT weight see gio)
Defense (for the love of **** he follows the puck seriously its pathetic)
Needs to play against weaker comp. to be successful.

Pleks and Eller are thrown to the wolves to shelter DD. See pittsburgh game for an example.

Hes not bad but is in absolutely no way in any shape or form a top 6. Might he be? Well his last name is Desharnais. You tell me how much that "truly" matters.

And clearly you have never played hockey, the point on a PP is to get shots through, its not PKs responsibility to tip, screen or show any shred of creativity. When he does he gets bashed.

Insult me all you want, i dont give a flying ****. Its a hockey team, DD will only make it here because of his name. I hate him because he takes time away from eller no other reason.

Taberweite.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:38 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
If we could move Pleks for another big winger I would do it. Eller needs the ice time Pleks has right now to develop offensively and if Gomez is unmovable we have 4 center and I'd be comfortable with a Gomez Gionta + big winger we got for Pleks as a third line.
Ak, Moen, Cole, Pac, Bourque, Blunden, even Darche... 7/8...

that's not enough ??

Closed Thread