HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stopping with your inside skate?

Old
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Stopping with your inside skate?

Help guys, I'm just getting nowhere with this at all.

I've gotten the basics of skating down... almost everything except stopping. I can stop fine on the outside skate, but the inside skate is just along for the ride. Every time I try to get it involved, it just bumps along and can't really dig in. I've tried putting more pressure on the back skate/foot, less pressure, neither work. Is there a special technique? Most youtube videos just sort of gloss over that part, and concentrate more on the outside, I suppose "more important" skate.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
I struggle with this too, I see people stop on it alone even but I can't seem to get the engagement to go. Stopping on the outside foot you can somewhat snowplow and make it work to learn but I haven't found a technique that allows me to get a bit of a start on the inside.

I think that if I can get more weight engage on this foot I can transition directions much more quickly.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:42 PM
beth

vCash: 500
You need to force yourself to learn to stop one-footed on that inside foot. Have all your gear on, because you will fall a lot. But that's how you do it.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:46 PM
ponder

To start with, try just standing by the boards, hold onto the boards, and scrape your outside edges across the ice, just to get a feel for it (when stopping with your inside skate, you use your outside edge). It'll feel weird at first, but less weird with time. Then start out slow, trying to stop with both skates. Try to visualize that you're really letting the weight of your body weight sink down evenly into both skates, don't be tense, but fairly relaxed, almost like you're sitting down into your skates. Get a good deep knee and ankle bend, and don't do any weird little turns before stopping, lots of people try to turn into it, don't do that, just go straight into the stop. Your skates should be staggered, the inside skate should be forward, the outside skate back, like the Sedins at the 22 second mark of this video:

When learning it can be easier to learn on reasonably dull skates. Don't go dulling them with a stone or anything, but while in the process of learning I wouldn't get them sharpened unless you absolutely have to. Also, make sure you fully commit to the stops, rotating not just your feet, but your hips too. Start out with lower speed stops, then slowly progress to faster and faster speeds. You'll catch a lot of edges at first, then you'll chatter a lot, but with enough practice you'll eventually get to smooth 2-footed stops. You just have to stick with it, it feels very awkward at first, but will eventually feel natural.

One last question, how are you on your outside edges/inside feet in general? Can you turn sharply with even pressure on both feet, or do you turn mostly just on your inside edge (outside foot)? Do you get good power and a large extension/range of motion on you outside edge/inside foot when performing crossovers?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
One last question, how are you on your outside edges/inside feet in general? Can you turn sharply with even pressure on both feet, or do you turn mostly just on your inside edge (outside foot)? Do you get good power and a large extension/range of motion on you outside edge/inside foot when performing crossovers?
Thanks, the dull skate idea is very helpful. It'll probably take a while for them to dull down naturally, so I'll probably have to make do with one foot for now, but it's a good idea and I'll try it in a couple months. Until then I'll TRY scraping against the boards again... it worked well when I was learning on my outside foot, but it still feels crazy awkward on the inside.

I usually do more cutting on my inside edge, and although I put weight on the other foot it isn't to the same level and doesn't cut in as much when I turn. That said, I do FAIRLY well pushing off for crossovers, that's probably the only time I'm successful at all on my outside edge.

Thanks for the help thus far!

Old
01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
thelos
Bunk

How can I learn to stop in general? I am really having trouble with the stopping motion. Right now I just dig my heel in and slow down to stop since I can't do a normal stop on either foot

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
How can I learn to stop in general? I am really having trouble with the stopping motion. Right now I just dig my heel in and slow down to stop since I can't do a normal stop on either foot
Its all about weight transfer... And the focus is to apply the outside foot's inside edge into the ice with progressive control vs momentum.

Watch the videos, get some shinpads, pants, elbow pads and get out there and practice.

People always find stopping hard, then next its the cross over, then the backwards c cut, then the backwards cross over, then transitions... Just keep practicing

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:32 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Oooh, there, I can help you! Maybe you can repay me by helping me stop on my inside foot

When you're just beginning, you won't be able to stop like a pro and shower the opposing goalie with snow. Lean against the boards, and work off your strong foot to start, and then progress to your weaker side before moving on. You want to be able to stop both ways. Start my gripping the boards with both hands, and slide the INSIDE EDGE of your foot horizontally away from you, so you can get a feel for it. You don't want it to be too hard or too light, you just want to shave off some ice.

After that, skate a few steps and then slowly glide, with your feet about shoulder length apart, crouching slightly. Tilt your stronger foot at an angle, and SLOWLY apply pressure. You should start snowploughing, and stopping slowly. From there it's a matter of practice.

Once you can do that you can move on to the next steps. Here is a great video that, if I hadn't already learned how to stop, would be extremely useful to me. I hope it is to you too!

Old
01-17-2012, 06:24 PM
beth

my advice for learning to stop is this:
1. Get a shallow hollow on your skates.
2. Practice standing and shaving the ice with both feet to get a feel for how much pressure is necessary.
3. When you try to stop, dont actually try to stop. Instead, think about sliding sideways as far as you can. Because sometimes thinking about stopping makes you dig in too much.

Quote:

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Fulcrum

My coach in Russia told to do a micro hop as you turn to stop, and position your feet perpendicularly to the direction your going to. If you're looking from the side you wouldn't really see it the hop, but as your skates come back to land you dig in with everything you got in both feet. It's almost like an impact stop. Ever since I like to use it as a surprise to beat most defenders, since they can't stop that fast. And the inside foot is a vital part of it. Really neat tool if you can use both legs to stop.

Here's an example of what i'm talking about.. from 00:30 second
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru0DPVi2MvA

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:00 PM
drakerebel

my advice on the stopping on an inside skate:

what i found out (by accident) was if you went into a sharper turn, you could put most/all of the weight on your inside foot and pretty much ride that turn on said foot. then, you could do that again (turn) and when quickly putting all weight on the inside foot, over-turn (somewhat gradually) and you end up coming to a sliding stop...probably in the wrong direction. and don't be discouraged, it may take many times to get that feel to shave the ice with that blade edge.

now, first trying this, you may get some jitters or blades digging too sharp into the ice. but what i found was that what needs to happen is: proper angle of the blade into the ice and muscle memory of your ankle/leg. when i tried stopping with my weak foot at first, it seemed that i was trying to "dig" into the ice too much. that's fine when you perform a "hard stop"...but to do a soft stop...it seems (to me) that you need to incorporate that "shaving" of the ice --takes a different angle of the blade to ice.

and of course, like said above, it helps to have duller blades when learning to stop.

but try this turn bit and try to get the "foot feel" of stopping on your edges.

-for what it's worth

drakerebel is offline   Reply With Quote