HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

trade our UFA's, get top prospects back

Old
01-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Dutch77
Predictable..

vCash: 500
This thread. So HF.

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan77 View Post
This thread. So HF.
Well cmon man, we've been out of a playoff spot since Saturday so obviously we are done.....

A little patience would go a long way to stopping leaf fans from being laughing stocks. We have a good time, even if we go out in the first round the kids need some play off experience. This is the year we push to take a step forward.

WE all know that draft picks and prospects are better than real NHL players but lets be rebels and keep our guys since we are already the 2nd youngest team in hockey. Lets pretend Liles and Grabo are better now than some pick will be next year.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
Grabovski: resign
Liles: resign

who else is coming up to UFA?
Liles yes, if it's a reasonable number and he is healthy. (never know with concussions)

Grabo? Not sure if you watched the NY game Sat, or games against Boston. Our fwd group is soft and small, as posters have said, if he can get you back a significant player of size being that he is a UFA this summer. Why do we resign him?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:14 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I think this thread does bring up a good point though (although, not as I would have worded it).

Leafs have some prospects pushing for spots on forward, and will have a new batch of prospects joining the Marlies next year. Not ruling out the potential for a 'surprise' in camp.

These decisions on UFA's are made by teams all the time. There has to be some turn-over and allow your youth to come in and take spots in the roster at a fraction of the cost.

This isn't the traditional 'blow it up, get picks/prospects'. This is going to be a calculated decision to sign two players (specifically) to mid-to-long term deals. Then, like I mentioned, you have to decide on Kulemin and Gustavsson who will get moderate raises.

Can Colborne/Kadri/Frattin make the jump next year and produce in top-nine roles if you decide to move Grabovski? Can Gardiner or maybe a Jesse Blacker offset the loss of a Liles? Which player would be the harder for this team to replace?

If the Leafs do acquire a center I imagine it spells the end for Grabovski here (depending on who they give up in such a deal). I think Liles needs to be signed due to current speed of the defensive core.

01-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I think this thread does bring up a good point though (although, not as I would have worded it).

Leafs have some prospects pushing for spots on forward, and will have a new batch of prospects joining the Marlies next year. Not ruling out the potential for a 'surprise' in camp.

These decisions on UFA's are made by teams all the time. There has to be some turn-over and allow your youth to come in and take spots in the roster at a fraction of the cost.

This isn't the traditional 'blow it up, get picks/prospects'. This is going to be a calculated decision to sign two players (specifically) to mid-to-long term deals. Then, like I mentioned, you have to decide on Kulemin and Gustavsson who will get moderate raises.

Can Colborne/Kadri/Frattin make the jump next year and produce in top-nine roles if you decide to move Grabovski? Can Gardiner or maybe a Jesse Blacker offset the loss of a Liles? Which player would be the harder for this team to replace?

If the Leafs do acquire a center I imagine it spells the end for Grabovski here (depending on who they give up in such a deal). I think Liles needs to be signed due to current speed of the defensive core.
I have high hopes for Blacker, always liked his game from the OHL perspective, haven't seen him much in the AHL, but trust he is getting the necessary mentoring of the Eakins effect. I heard Frattin's name a lot in the game yesterday, he's close. I think we have a few guys on the parent roster that may be bait to other teams. There's an obvious need to get bigger up front. What we have now is not a Burke team, it's getting there but we aren't there yet.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:42 PM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
why then will we trade top prospects, kadri,schenn,gunnerson,colbourn etc just to make the playoffs , but philly wont when they have a chance to win the playoffs.
schenn might go but only for couturier, philly will do it + maybe grabo for a shot at a cup. its money philly want playoff money.
WHOA, did I miss something? When did Burke say he was going to trade all these people? Where are you getting this information from or is this just you speculating your own warped perception?

MajorityRules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:02 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
WHOA, did I miss something? When did Burke say he was going to trade all these people? Where are you getting this information from or is this just you speculating your own warped perception?
not me, everyone on here is saying trade some good prospects plus a 1st for getzlaf.
if we did then what do you do with grabo, cant sign him, we will have, 7 centers in the line up.4 spots to fill,4 good young players deserving a spot

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Deuce Awesome

We cant be zellers at the dedline this year, we are to close to making one round of the playovs which will make teachers or bell or frank all kinds of scrilla.

Plus we don't have any rentall players, most of our gays are sined long terms anyways.

Maybe Mackarther, outside of him though I think we will be ading, not subtractoring.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
I had a big long reply typed out to this, then realized the OP is either trolling or incoherent and deleted what I wrote.

Instead I will simply say this is a horrible idea, one of the worst I have heard in a long time.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
We cant be zellers at the dedline this year, we are to close to making one round of the playovs which will make teachers or bell or frank all kinds of scrilla.

Plus we don't have any rentall players, most of our gays are sined long terms anyways.

Maybe Mackarther, outside of him though I think we will be ading, not subtractoring.

Bravo sir.. bravo

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:20 PM
eyeball11

Quote:

Can we be K-Mart?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:

ic wat u did thar

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:29 PM
AINEC
Kessel's "intensity"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
are you mocking my spelling, troll
srry i dont have my head up my ass like you do. browner
y r u med?

AINEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Deuce Awesome

Learned how to reed from food recipes, brain not good.

1) Make player
2) Player play good
3) Trade player for betterer player and money

Win stanlee cup.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:35 PM
bshaw

glad cup67 isnt running this team because every year he would wanna get rid of ufas no matter the age for ''younger'' unproven talent.

bshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Liles yes, if it's a reasonable number and he is healthy. (never know with concussions)

Grabo? Not sure if you watched the NY game Sat, or games against Boston. Our fwd group is soft and small, as posters have said, if he can get you back a significant player of size being that he is a UFA this summer. Why do we resign him?
We re-sign Grabo because he is currently our best centre and hardest working player on a nightly basis. You call him soft, why, because he doesn't throw massive open ice hits liks Phaneuf and Schenn? The guy is fearless and battles like crazy for pucks anywhere on the ice, against any player, regardless of their size/strength.

Until we acquire a number one centre, which I highly doubt we do, Grabo is the best we have. Letting him walk will make this team much worse, considering how injury probe Connolly is. If Burke magically pulls a number one centre out of his ass before the deadline, I agree, deal Grabo to the highest bidder. If not, there is no other option but to re-sign him.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Resine Lilles, Grebo and Mekarther.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
So who goes then? We already have a log jam at every position. We have Gardiner or Franson in the press box, Schenn playing 6th d minutes, Kadri playing with Lombo and Mac on the third line. IMO this isn't a good environment for developing young players.

Smif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
So who goes then? We already have a log jam at every position. We have Gardiner or Franson in the press box, Schenn playing 6th d minutes, Kadri playing with Lombo and Mac on the third line. IMO this isn't a good environment for developing young players.
Well, Liles has been one of our best defensemen, so I think that situation will solve itself among other players. The team sorely misses him in the lineup and the main thing is taking steps forward. MacArthur will either be resigned or moved in the near future. I think letting him walk for nothing is a wasted asset. Grabo is in the same position, you move him when someone takes his place by outplaying him. No centerman has done that this year so I can't see him moving.

On the contrary, I think this is the ideal situation for our young players. A team like the Oilers gifts their young players spots for better or worse. Did that stunt Sam Gagner and PRVs development? Kind of looks like it. We're not in the same position we were a couple years ago. We are one of the few teams that can afford to over-ripen prospects because we have this fantastic depth. I can say today that Luke Schenn wouldn't have been in the NHL at 18 with the team as is. He did admirably, but we're at the point now that we don't just need young players that can cut it in the NHL - we need players that will make an impact. When Kadri and Franson can do that on a consistant basis, they'll make room for themselves. The signs point to both of them doing that now, after both taking the long road to the NHL.

Jake Gardiner should be the shining example of a young player pushing his way onto a roster - the proper way to handle prospects.

The depth will work itself out, and wither its youth or experienced players playing, it should be the best we have.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Dutch77
Predictable..

Quote:

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan77 View Post

Genuine ROFL....

WTH is that?..........lol

Old
01-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Making the playoffs is a good experience for a team, who is young and developing.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Smif

Quote:
Well, Liles has been one of our best defensemen, so I think that situation will solve itself among other players. The team sorely misses him in the lineup and the main thing is taking steps forward. MacArthur will either be resigned or moved in the near future. I think letting him walk for nothing is a wasted asset. Grabo is in the same position, you move him when someone takes his place by outplaying him. No centerman has done that this year so I can't see him moving.

On the contrary, I think this is the ideal situation for our young players. A team like the Oilers gifts their young players spots for better or worse. Did that stunt Sam Gagner and PRVs development? Kind of looks like it. We're not in the same position we were a couple years ago. We are one of the few teams that can afford to over-ripen prospects because we have this fantastic depth. I can say today that Luke Schenn wouldn't have been in the NHL at 18 with the team as is. He did admirably, but we're at the point now that we don't just need young players that can cut it in the NHL - we need players that will make an impact. When Kadri and Franson can do that on a consistant basis, they'll make room for themselves. The signs point to both of them doing that now, after both taking the long road to the NHL.

Jake Gardiner should be the shining example of a young player pushing his way onto a roster - the proper way to handle prospects.

The depth will work itself out, and wither its youth or experienced players playing, it should be the best we have.
I disagree when you say we have fantastic depth. We have depth for sure, but I'd argue that a good portion of them are just plugs. Those are the guys we need to get rid of for the younger players, who, I think have been impact players (Kadri and Franson). Kadri was putting up good numbers and then gets moved to the third line. When I said "who goes" I didn't mean Liles and Grabo should go but eventually we need to ship some players out for picks or do a 2 for 1 trade or two. I think addition by subtraction will help this team.

Smif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:39 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I disagree when you say we have fantastic depth. We have depth for sure, but I'd argue that a good portion of them are just plugs. Those are the guys we need to get rid of for the younger players, who, I think have been impact players (Kadri and Franson). Kadri was putting up good numbers and then gets moved to the third line. When I said "who goes" I didn't mean Liles and Grabo should go but eventually we need to ship some players out for picks or do a 2 for 1 trade or two. I think addition by subtraction will help this team.
You say this like Kadri was moved down the roster. Didn't he start with Mac and Connolly, then Bozak went down so Connolly was moved up? Doesn't seem like Kadri's role has changed.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 09:44 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

for those who believe they are intelligent are ignorant not to understand.

Intelligence derives from the Latin verb intelligere which derives from inter-legere meaning to "pick out" or discern. A form of this verb, intellectus, became the medieval technical term for understanding, and a translation for the Greek philosophical term nous. This term was however strongly linked to the metaphysical and cosmological theories of teleological scholasticism, including theories of the immortality of the soul, and the concept of the Active Intellect (also known as the Active Intelligence). This entire approach to the study of nature was strongly rejected by the early modern philosophers such as Francis Bacon, Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, and David Hume, all of whom preferred the word "understanding" in their English philosophical works..

sorry for my english, do you understand! do you understand! or are you s----- .

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote