HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2011-2012 Chicago Wolves Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2012, 12:12 AM
WolfKeeper

vCash: 500
Friday night vs Milwaukee

Old
01-14-2012, 01:04 AM
arsmaster

Best part was Climie's puke.

Old
01-14-2012, 02:26 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Watched tonite and had the following impressions. Game ended 2 to 1 for the Wolves

Tanev is clearly the best player on the Wolves. Very good in open ice and very smart with the puck. His vision and skating make him an excellent prospect. You had a direct comparison with Blum in this game and I'd take Tanev. The one area that Tanev needs to work on is obviously his down low play in his zone but I thought he was generally good here as well. Made an outstanding play in breaking up a 2 on 1.

Also thought Sauve is playing better. His zone of coverage has improved and he was good on the PK. Outlet passes were good as well. Milwaukee put on a lot pressure and Sauve mostly responded well. At this point looks to be at least a decent AHL defenseman and much less error prone than last year.

Connauton was not very involved and seems a lot more defensively conscious. Not rushing the puck as much. Lot more willing to bounce the puck off the boards as are the rest of the defense. Saw a couple of times were he did some loose stick checking in his end but his positioning has improved. Tends to contain man better and keep the play in front of him.

Polosek is very much a work in progress. Ended up playing a lot in his own end and chasing the play. Got winded after a hard hit in the first period. Best you can say is the Polosek is generally surviving.

Thought Oreskovich was solid at center and produced a good fore check at times. Also carried the puck well and did a good job of getting the puck and moving it to the points. However, made a very poor play late in the game when he failed to gain center before making a shot at the open net. Seemed like he could have easily gained the line and dumped the puck in. Play led to a faceoff in his own end that led to penalty and some huge scoring chances by the Admirals.

Would say that Oreskovich is still a player that can help the Canucks. Showed real range in his play.

Schreoeder had his good moments but consistently and cleanly lost face-offs in his own zone. Best part of his game is the quick transition he can make off turnovers. Has excellent speed and and is dangerous. However, often gets caught up in traffic in his own zone and had trouble clearing the puck from his zone.

Sweatt had a good game and had to do a lot of work in his own zone to make up for weak play by others in the Wolves zone. Scored a nice goal

Davies had goal as well and set up Sweatt nicely but he was very weak in his own end.

Longpre had difficult game. Can see he has some offensive upside but he was terrible in getting the puck out of his zone and repeatedly turned the puck over at his blue line. More than that he was rushing around the defensive zone and making it difficult to have any sort of co-ordinated way of getting the puck out.

Bitz looks like Mancari. Heavy footed and lugging. Showed some strength along the boards and gave it an effort but he's long way from helping the Canucks. Had a fight but I thought he was second best in it as Latta landed the only decent shot. Bitz just mostly hung on.

Reinprecht showed lots of savvy but there seemed times that he could have done more if he was bearing down harder. Doesn't seem to have the wheels he once had.

One player that showed some game was Roussel. Really carried the 4th line and provided a good forecheck. Late in the game was moved up to other lines to provide for better defense showing that McTavish has some confidence in him. Took a bad penalty when he closed his hand on the puck but other than that looked effective. Should have scored in the second when he an absolutely open net.

Real hard fought game with both teams taking turns at trapping the other team in their own zone. Game for muckers and blue collar types with not much open ice. Climie was very good (and fortunate at times) and the most important factor in the win.

Neither Haydar or Rodin played.

Nice to see that it was basically the Canuck prospects manning the defense and doing a good job..
Thanks for the detailed review. Also, the bolded is my thought as well. There's quite a veteran presence among the forward group of the wolves - Schroeder, Rodin, Sweatt and Longpre really being the only young prospects - but the blueline is primarily built from Canucks prospects. Tanev, Sauve, Connauton and Polasek are regular contributors and Erixon is also getting some playing time as well. A plus for the organization's future, for sure.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:09 PM
gurfling

Yeah thanks for the review Orcatown.

Saw the video, the best part was Climie's puke, but it was also nice to see Schroeder rub a guy out on the boards and gain control of the puck, then feed it to Baumgartner who passed it to Davies for the first goal. I am hoping this is a sign of the development of his game where he is getting better defensively.

Old
01-14-2012, 11:33 PM
NuxFan09

The Wolves lost to the Lake Erie Monsters 5-3 today. Unfortunate because the Wolves were leading 3-1 going into the 3rd.

Schroeder, Davies and Reinprecht scored the goals and Lack stopped 26 of 30 shots.

Old
01-15-2012, 01:42 AM
orcatown

Watched again tonite and have to say that Lack had a tough game. Tieing goal was banked off him from behind the net. Let it hit his stick and bounced thru his legs. Winning goal came as result of long, soft shot from the point which rebounded off Lack right to the Lake Erie player. Could see Lack was really very upset with his effort with his head down and his eyes staring at the ice when he returned to the goal after the empty net goal.

Given this game you have to be leery about moving Schneider and expecting Lack to step in. Right now he is the second best goal tender in Chicago with Climie playing as well as he is.

Some other negatives included the play of Parent. He is so error prone. Just one sloppy, dumb play after another. Makes soft passes that get easily picked off. Unloads his problems as quickly as possible by passing them off to someone else. Never seems to angle his play off the boards so the puck gets out or to a team mate. First goal was totally Parent fault as he gave the puck away right in front of Lack during a Wolves power play. Almost like he was confused about who he was playing for.

Poor Polosek has to play with Parent and the two of them had dreadful trouble in getting the puck out of their zone. There are aspect of Polosek play to like and he has good wheels but he needs to improve moving the puck up. Gets too fast when he has time and too slow when he doesn't. I think that Polosek has enough physical attributes to have legitimate hope for him but he needs some seasoning.

Also found the play of Mancari frustrating. He had so many chances to score but missed open chances. More than that he got bounced around with no response on his part. Player just doesn't seem to have the grit you would think he should have. Plays a very soft game. Mancari, along with Lack, was very much to blame for the winning goal. Made very weak clearance right to the point after Schroeder had worked hard to get the puck to him. It was a terrible play.

Would also say Longpre was frustrating. Had chances to move the puck to others but instead just fired it at the goalie or had his passes picked off. In the end, this player doesn't get much done and has big problems in his own end. One reason might be that he is being played on the wing rather than center . Maybe as a result he tends to wander around the ice and not play within any sort of system. Reminded me a little of Schroeder last year when he was put on the wing which caused him to fall right out of the play. Might say the same for Hodgson.

In spite of the loss there were some positives. Schroeder faded in the third but overall he was very good. Showed great speed and moved the puck very well. Unlucky not to score more or have people bury some of the chances he was creating. Again worked well with Davies (who is handy around the net but a big defensive liability) and Sweatt. Also thought Schroeder played a good two way game and was effective on the PK. Made strong efforts to fight thru checks to get the puck out. Schroeder does not look far away from really breaking out. To me he was the best player in the game from either side.

Another player that is playing much better is Sauve. Played with authority and poise. Leveled a couple of players on hard checks and looked very mobile. His skating is a huge strength. Thought he was clearly the best Chicago defenseman tonight and that includes Tanev. Just off tonight he is ahead of Connauton.

For his part Connauton again somewhat struggled. There are still lapses in his play in his own end. Have to question how he gaps his checks and allows people to cut back to the middle. Tends to play too far off and then over-extends by reaching with his stick. His backward skating is clearly not as good as Sauve. Also , at the moment, he is not as mentally alert as Sauve. Connauton was minus 4 which probably did not reflect fully his play but did indicate some of the soft work in his own end. You wonder if Connauton isn't a little banged up.

Thought Oreskovich again was good. Not as obvious as he has been when playing center but still effective. Carried the puck well in the offensive zone and made some really smart set-ups. This player sees the ice better than people give him credit for and he probably deserves a better shot with the Canucks.

Haydar, Bitz, and Rodin didn't play

Old
01-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Another player that is playing much better is Sauve. Played with authority and poise. Leveled a couple of players on hard checks and looked very mobile. His skating is a huge strength. Thought he was clearly the best Chicago defenseman tonight and that includes Tanev.
Wonder for him whether it's just a case of him getting decent playing minutes at the professional level (in a league that is better suited for someone of his abilities) for just over a calendar year? That car accident less than two years ago didn't help his development either.

Old
01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Canuckee

Wolves win 5-2. Here is a link to the boxscore.
http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1009168

Old
01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
Stat that jumped out at me was Sauve having a +4.

Not sure he's ever had that at any level of hockey. You can count me as one of those guys who is still holding out hope that Yann can mature to a Brooks Orpik/Bryan Allen level.

By the recent reports, it looks like he's building towards it.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Kagee*

Thought I'd repost this in here, in case it gets lost in the gm thread.

Steven Reinprecht can we call him up in the playoffs?

And can anyone tell me how he's playing in the AHL?

Chicago Wolves - 22gp 4g 16a 20points, +8
decent stats.

Quote:
C/LW
Steven Reinprecht

Date of birth: May 07, 1976
Place of birth: Edmonton, Alta, Canada
Ht: 6-0 Wt: 188
Shoots: L
Salary: $2,175,000
NHL Seasons: 11

ASSETS: Has excellent speed, natural offensive instincts and a good shot. Is defensively responsible and effective at all three forward positions.

Old
01-16-2012, 02:38 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Thought I'd repost this in here, in case it gets lost in the gm thread.

Steven Reinprecht can we call him up in the playoffs?

And can anyone tell me how he's playing in the AHL?

Chicago Wolves - 22gp 4g 16a 20points, +8
decent stats.
Slow and sucks.

Manny Malhotra light.

Tanev is good enough right now for top 4 minutes in the NHL right now (IMO) so I really hope this AHL stint is helping him. Obviously there are minor tweaks he needs to add to his game to become an effective NHL player but I really hope he can develop any sort of shot (kind of like what the 'huis has).

Old
01-16-2012, 03:01 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
Note that is a January 8th score sheet and thus a little out sequence.

Not sold on Reinprecht being any help to the Canucks. While smart with the puck and makes some subtle plays appears to have lost a step or two. Plays like Haydar.

Old
01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Slow and sucks.

Manny Malhotra light.
That bad eh? That's too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Tanev is good enough right now for top 4 minutes in the NHL right now (IMO) so I really hope this AHL stint is helping him. Obviously there are minor tweaks he needs to add to his game to become an effective NHL player but I really hope he can develop any sort of shot (kind of like what the 'huis has).
Yeah I'm glad Tanev is playing in the A, it should really help him for next season, and or if we need him in the playoffs, all I hope is he puts on 15-20lbs of muscle this offseason.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:35 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

Yeah I'm glad Tanev is playing in the A, it should really help him for next season, and or if we need him in the playoffs, all I hope is he puts on 15-20lbs of muscle this offseason.
NOt sure how realistic that is.

10lbs of muscle is much more realistic.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Jevo

10 lbs would make him hit 200 lbs (according to wikipedia), which is not bad for him right now, he'll probably never be a guy that will throw around his body a lot, but if he can get big enough to take most of the hits he can't roll-off and not get his mobility hindered, I'd be happy.
Didn't Tanev train with Gary Roberts in the offseason? Or was that just Hodgson?

Old
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
10 lbs would make him hit 200 lbs (according to wikipedia), which is not bad for him right now, he'll probably never be a guy that will throw around his body a lot, but if he can get big enough to take most of the hits he can't roll-off and not get his mobility hindered, I'd be happy.
Didn't Tanev train with Gary Roberts in the offseason? Or was that just Hodgson?
Pretty sure he did.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:32 PM
VanTampaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Pretty sure he did.
yup he was. Both Cody and Tanev were. There is a two part video out there on Roberts' training and you can see cody on it there.

apparently cody was one of the hardest working people. first out there last to leave every day.

Last edited by VanTampaFan: 01-16-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old
01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Canuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
He didn't train with Roberts but he was on the same diet and training program. He came in a few times to meet with him but generally training at his Ontario home IIRC.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

I personally think he gets called up 10 games or so before the playoffs & gets inserted into the line up. We saw how calm & smart this kid is in pressure situations! There is no reason why he shouldn't be.

Closed Thread