HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Couturier the next Stamkos?

Old
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
To me he looks like a poor man's version of Jean Beliveau. We could be so lucky!
If that comparison came anywhere close, it would be bonerific for all Flyerdom

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:49 PM
bryzgalovsky*

the only problem is that he may never get the minutes he deserves

considering that claude giroux is the best player in the league right now, and some people think brayden schenn could be just as good

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post

considering that claude giroux is the best player in the league right now, and some people think brayden schenn could be just as good
Im almost positive if he becomes that good, they ill find ice time for him no doubt

Old
01-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

Seriously? Do people really believe this? The only reason Couturier isn't getting top minutes is because he's a 19-year-old rookie who's never played an NHL schedule. The Flyers are pacing him so as to not burn him out and keep him fresh for the second half of the season. I think that's pretty obvious, no?

In a few years, Couturier will be logging upwards of 20 minutes per night. Relax.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:00 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Seriously? Do people really believe this? The only reason Couturier isn't getting top minutes is because he's a 19-year-old rookie who's never played an NHL schedule. The Flyers are pacing him so as to not burn him out and keep him fresh for the second half of the season. I think that's pretty obvious, no?

In a few years, Couturier will be logging upwards of 20 minutes per night. Relax.
then who takes a hit in TOI? we have too many good centers

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:15 PM
flyingsouth

Quote:
Briere's not going to be around forever... And he can always be moved to the wing.

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Briere should probably be playing wing right now. Let alone a couple years from now. Giroux, unless he improves defensively, may be more valuable on the wing of a stronger defensive center that can keep up offensively given that he's getting lit up defensively.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Briere should probably be playing wing right now. Let alone a couple years from now. Giroux, unless he improves defensively, may be more valuable on the wing of a stronger defensive center that can keep up offensively given that he's getting lit up defensively.
I was actually just thinking about this. In 4-5 years (probably sooner...) I think Couturier could be our #1 Center. I don't mean that in a way that makes him sound better than Giroux, I just think Giroux is a liability in the middle just as much as he is a threat. Couturier could have magic with a player like Giroux on his line, someone with speed. I said at the beginning of the year if you give Coots 2 speedy wingers, watch out. That is the only thing he is missing right now, and when Harry Z and Rinaldo create that space for him, he is dangerous.

Would love to see this kid wear the C someday. That being said, a lot can happen in the time it would take for that to happen.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Prongo
Beer

People who are saying move Giroux to wing are also forgetting he can improve in that area big time still. He is still only 24 and has a great work ethic. He knows he makes mistakes back there and most likely work to correct them. I am willing to let Giroux play he whole career at center where he is definitely at his best

Old
01-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Codith

Couturier is definitely going to be a beast in this league, I can't believe his total game he has as a rookie.

I can definitely see a

Giroux
Couturier
Schenn

Within the next 2-3 years

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
People who are saying move Giroux to wing are also forgetting he can improve in that area big time still. He is still only 24 and has a great work ethic. He knows he makes mistakes back there and most likely work to correct them. I am willing to let Giroux play he whole career at center where he is definitely at his best
Giroux isn't going to get any taller, and I doubt he's going to start using a longer twig. Beyond his swashbuckling and sometimes crappy defensive positioning, those are his two biggest problems defensively. He will likey improve some with experience, but there aren't a lot of elite centers his size for a reason.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:07 AM
s3x

This is the simplest goal Couturier scored all season, but it's priceless, and my favorite. He isn't going anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6twXmrUwxY0

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Appleyard

He has impressed me so much this year. I think the great thing is that even if he 'only' develops into a 50-60 point guy, he will still be immensely valuable to the team.

I love the way he plays the game, sensible, knows where he should be, strong on the boards (even for his low weight), takes care of defense first, and he seems to have the ability to dictate the pace when he is on the ice (at certain times) due to his great positioning and obvious mental strength, and does not take many penalties. You do not see that from many 18-19 year olds. Plus his reach is awesome.

His attitude really impresses me as well, an example being when he has scored goals in blowouts or when we are down by a few, he mutes his celebration to just an acknowledgement of teammates, then gets back to the bench or center ice. Shows a lot of maturity and that he puts the team first, hate it when you see guys celebrating like crazy when they score when the team is 5-0 down, or 5-0 up.

One moment that stood out for me was earlier in the season he lost his stick, went into the corner and held the puck up with his feet, quite skillfully I might add, playing keep away from two opposition players trying to pin him against the boards, then at the moment the play developed to allow it, he offloaded the puck to a teammate in a good position to clear the zone. A lot of veterans panic in such situations.

He is fast becoming my favorite flyer, though always had a soft spot for guys who play great two way hockey!

He reminds me of Brind'Amour in a way, maybe due to the not brilliant skating, defensive awareness, and obvious offensive ability as well as defensive. Plus his maturity, work ethic and captaincy material.

In my opinion, an 18 year old coming into the NHL, putting up 30-40 points (which he should do) while being one of the go to guys from a PK and defensive standpoint (think J. Staal, Ryan O'Reily), is just as impressive, if not more-so, than an 18 year old who comes in and gets 60 points.

Add to that that if it were not for Mono he would have almost certainly got the Jean Beliveau trophy in back to back years (only Crosby has done that in the last 25 years), and got MVP even in the year he had mono, as well as best prospect (Bossy trophy), was +62 and +55 while doing so.

Remember some HF board chatter on him years ago, when he was 3rd in Maritime AAA in scoring even though he was 6 months younger than anyone else in the league! Then being only underager on last World juniors. Starting in juniors aged 15 and contributing.

When you add it all up, and thank god he did, but how the **** did he fall so far in the draft!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
In terms of a development comparison, I'd look to Tyler Seguin. What I mean by that is that Seguin was brought along very similarly in his rookie season. 4th line, low minutes, etc. And Couturier will likely finish w/ a similar point total to Seguin. I fully expect Couturier to break out in his sophomore season after a full offseason of bulking up, etc. the exact same way Seguin did.
Sequin was jacked when they drafted him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Imagine if they didn't sign Bryz, traded Carter, kept Richards, Pronger didn't get hurt and they let Bob play with competent relief signed and waiting on the bench. The team would be a force right now.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Broad Street Elite

My player comparison for Couturier is Patrice Bergeron. If he can develop into an a guy in the annual Selke conversation while getting into the 70-point range, we should all be very pleased.

I expect a significant number of shorties over his career, but I think the upper end of his point total will be limited mainly by opportunity. As a premiere PKer, his PP time (and the presence of Giroux) likely hold him below PPG level.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Couturier Post

Going on on a limb here but I think he'll be the next Sean Couturier.

Seriously, why does every young player need to be compared to an older player?

Couturier Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

I would hope he turns out to be something like a less mean Mike Richards. They've got a hell of a hockey player on their hands if that happens.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Sequin was jacked when they drafted him.

Imagine if they didn't sign Bryz, traded Carter, kept Richards, Pronger didn't get hurt and they let Bob play with competent relief signed and waiting on the bench. The team would be a force right now.

"I see", said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. You know what they say about ifs.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
[/B]

"I see", said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. You know what they say about ifs.
Yes, I think I do. They say: Sometimes it's fun to fantasize about ****, so let me get my dream on, mkay?

Old
01-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Yes, I think I do. They say: Sometimes it's fun to fantasize about ****, so let me get my dream on, mkay?

Old
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

This kid was a twig for his height at the combine. Once he fills out his frame he is going to be a bull down low. He has it all besides speed. Players that smart don't need to rely on speed though.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchbot 3000 View Post
This kid was a twig for his height at the combine. Once he fills out his frame he is going to be a bull down low. He has it all besides speed. Players that smart don't need to rely on speed though.
Honestly he's not even that slow...he just has an awkward skating style, but i've definitely noticed that he isn't as slow as people think he is.

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchbot 3000 View Post
His hockey IQ and the way he handles himself in all situations really impress me. It looks to me he was a steal at 8.

PS Hats off to you guys for bagging Larsson at 4.

Old
01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Hey No Problem mkay.

Old
01-17-2012, 06:35 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
Honestly he's not even that slow...he just has an awkward skating style, but i've definitely noticed that he isn't as slow as people think he is.
He's gotten faster as the season has gone on (don't ask me how)... and I think some hard work in the offseason could find him getting even faster / improving his acceleration.

When you combine that with him filling out his frame, etc. the kid is going to be a beast.

I think 2012-2013 is going to be a HUGE year for him.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote