HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL coaches good enough to make the jump to the NHL

Old
01-16-2012, 11:57 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
AHL coaches good enough to make the jump to the NHL

I don't follow the AHL as much as the NHL. So I ask the knowledgeable AHL fans ... What coach is good enough to make the jump to the NHL? Someone who has a few years of winning records or winning the Calder Cup as well as winning seasons. Who could make that jump and probably be successful. Thanks for your answers

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:00 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I don't follow the AHL as much as the NHL. So I ask the knowledgeable AHL fans ... What coach is good enough to make the jump to the NHL? Someone who has a few years of winning records or winning the Calder Cup as well as winning seasons. Who could make that jump and probably be successful. Thanks for your answers
Milwaukee already had their coach hired out from underneath them, not too long ago....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Well, MacTavish with the Chicago Wolves was an NHL head coach with Edmonton and went to the Stanley Cup Finals. He could go back the NHL head coaching ranks.

01-17-2012, 07:47 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

This seems like a hard topic to indulge in. A lot of hires are organization hired and one franchises systems can lead to a guys success. Winning in the AHL and the NHL is two different things, in the AHL you are dictated by the rosters, injuries can wreak havoc with a teams success. In the NHL you determine your own success as nothing outside of injuries is out of your control because you can callup any guy on the AHL team. Perhaps trades but good teams don't have fire sales. Kevin Dineen has done well though going from one organization to another. I'm not sure Bylsma is as good as people think, his situation gave him an easy climb. Look at Todd Richards, now struggling in the NHL.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:19 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I generally base my theories on good coaches making the jump based on who gets the most out of a team while having little talent. I always knew Peter Laviolette would be a great coach after taking the worst team in AHL history and winning the cup the following year, but was even more impressed when they almost repeated with a team that had lost more to injury than just about any team in a long time. One thing about Laviolette, though.....he had a fantastic knowledge of the ECHL and guys who could be called up and fit right in to his system.

Kevin Dineen is another guy who always seemed to get blood from a stone, and I knew he'd do well in the big time, especially with a team like Florida. He deserves a ton of credit for getting a lot out of some poor Buffalo talent pools. (And yeah, if you're asking about this in relation to Ruff, I think the Sabres missed the boat big time on Dineen, as did Columbus.)

Then you have guys like Mark French, who's probably not a very good coach, but has a situation where it's almost impossible to lose.

I know a lot of people are high on Dallas Eakins of the Marlies. Don't follow the West enough to know. I wouldn't be surpised if Jeff Daniels from the Checkers gets a shot at a head job someday. In my home division, now that Dineen is gone, there's no coach who stands out to me as a guy who'd make that leap. Keith McAmbridge is still too new, but there is potential there.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:45 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I generally base my theories on good coaches making the jump based on who gets the most out of a team while having little talent. I always knew Peter Laviolette would be a great coach after taking the worst team in AHL history and winning the cup the following year, but was even more impressed when they almost repeated with a team that had lost more to injury than just about any team in a long time. One thing about Laviolette, though.....he had a fantastic knowledge of the ECHL and guys who could be called up and fit right in to his system.

Kevin Dineen is another guy who always seemed to get blood from a stone, and I knew he'd do well in the big time, especially with a team like Florida. He deserves a ton of credit for getting a lot out of some poor Buffalo talent pools. (And yeah, if you're asking about this in relation to Ruff, I think the Sabres missed the boat big time on Dineen, as did Columbus.)

Then you have guys like Mark French, who's probably not a very good coach, but has a situation where it's almost impossible to lose.

I know a lot of people are high on Dallas Eakins of the Marlies. Don't follow the West enough to know. I wouldn't be surpised if Jeff Daniels from the Checkers gets a shot at a head job someday. In my home division, now that Dineen is gone, there's no coach who stands out to me as a guy who'd make that leap. Keith McAmbridge is still too new, but there is potential there.
Actually both Bears coaches I think could make the jump but not as head coaches. They both would be great assistants on different teams. I at first was like you and thought French wasn't a good coach but after seeing the coaches come through Hershey, Mark French and Troy Mann have been a very good tandem. Oh and Troy Mann is a very very good penalty kill coach. Look at the numbers before and after he was hired and you will be wowed.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:21 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

Sounds like Pat Bingham, went 30-32 last year with BPort while using an ECHL team and was shown the door. Had a good ECHL coaching career and spent many years as BPorts assistant.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:30 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Actually both Bears coaches I think could make the jump but not as head coaches. They both would be great assistants on different teams. I at first was like you and thought French wasn't a good coach but after seeing the coaches come through Hershey, Mark French and Troy Mann have been a very good tandem. Oh and Troy Mann is a very very good penalty kill coach. Look at the numbers before and after he was hired and you will be wowed.
I would think that any AHL head coach should already be able to handle the duties of an assistant at the NHL level. I don't think guys are groomed to be assistants per se when they are given those jobs, there is an expectation they could be something more eventually. My feelings on French are he was a guy who got fired in the CHL with what I presume was a bad team, and then got handed a perennial contender in Hershey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Sounds like Pat Bingham, went 30-32 last year with BPort while using an ECHL team and was shown the door. Had a good ECHL coaching career and spent many years as BPorts assistant.
I like coaches who make the leap from the E to the A specifically for that reason. Someone like Scott Gordon (a good coach nonetheless), who spent years as an assistant in the AHL didn't have that familiarity with the younger ECHL talent. Coaches really need to be part general manager as well.

Last edited by GarbageGoal: 01-17-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 11:42 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal;42667707[B
]I would think that any AHL head coach should already be able to handle the duties of an assistant at the NHL level.[/B] I don't think guys are groomed to be assistants per se when they are given those jobs, there is an expectation they could be something more eventually. My feelings on French are he was a guy who got fired in the CHL with what I presume was a bad team, and then got handed a perennial contender in Hershey.

I like coaches who make the leap from the E to the A specifically for that reason. Someone like Scott Gordon (a good coach nonetheless), who spent years as an assistant in the AHL didn't have that familiarity with the younger ECHL talent. Coaches really need to be part general manager as well.
Ever hear of this guy named Bob Woods. He is a terrible assistant and was a terrible coach for Hershey.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:00 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Ever hear of this guy named Bob Woods. He is a terrible assistant and was a terrible coach for Hershey.
Funny, I've never heard a Hershey fan say he was a bad head coach for them before, considering he won a championship (and one I'm still bitter about because of the ECF where they managed to come from behind in the third two games in a row). He also had a stellar record in the ECHL. I know a lot of people thought he was a bad assistant in Washington, but quite frankly that trickles down from the head man and it's his responsibility to fix it or fire the guy if he's that awful.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
This screams Todd Nelson in Oklahoma. The Oilers are suffering and Nelson has made gold from a regularly depleted Barons roster. sign him up.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
This seems like a hard topic to indulge in. A lot of hires are organization hired and one franchises systems can lead to a guys success. Winning in the AHL and the NHL is two different things, in the AHL you are dictated by the rosters, injuries can wreak havoc with a teams success. In the NHL you determine your own success as nothing outside of injuries is out of your control because you can callup any guy on the AHL team. Perhaps trades but good teams don't have fire sales. Kevin Dineen has done well though going from one organization to another. I'm not sure Bylsma is as good as people think, his situation gave him an easy climb. Look at Todd Richards, now struggling in the NHL.
I can see where you are coming from, but Mike Yeo was a part of that system as well. Look at what he did with Houston last year and Minnesota this season. Now Todd Reirden was considered a terrible head coach in WBS, but Hynes is getting good reviews. I think it is a little early for Hynes, but I could see him climbing on some short lists real soon here.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:57 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Funny, I've never heard a Hershey fan say he was a bad head coach for them before, considering he won a championship (and one I'm still bitter about because of the ECF where they managed to come from behind in the third two games in a row). He also had a stellar record in the ECHL. I know a lot of people thought he was a bad assistant in Washington, but quite frankly that trickles down from the head man and it's his responsibility to fix it or fire the guy if he's that awful.
The reason he won that championship was a little bit of luck and a whole lot to do with the team he had put into his lap.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
The reason he won that championship was a little bit of luck and a whole lot to do with the team he had put into his lap.
And yet you're so high on French, who did essentially the same thing taking over from Woods. Not sure what you've got against Woods, but he was a very good assistant and good head coach with Hershey. If he'd allow himself to get away from Boudreau, I'd like to see him get a head coaching gig in the NHL.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:15 AM
adsfan

Milwaukee had Claude Noel. He won the Calder Cup in 2004, his first year as head coach in Milwaukee, and lost in the 2006 AHL finals. Claude went on to be an assistant under Ken Hitchcock in Columbus in 2007 and became interim head coach in February of 2010. After that season was over, he was hired as head coach of the Manitoba Moose. When they were relocated, he was hired as head coach of the new Winnipeg Jets. Claude has 20 years of experience as a pro head coach or assistant.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Milwaukee already had their coach hired out from underneath them, not too long ago....
Hutch is correct. Kirk Muller jumped from Milwaukee to the Carolina Hurricanes after 17 games this season, probably the shortest coaching stint in team history.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:03 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
What do you guys think of a coach like Joe Paterson ? He doesn't have the best coaching records that is for sure.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
What do you guys think of a coach like Joe Paterson ? He doesn't have the best coaching records that is for sure.
Gotta give a lot of credit to a guy who took an awful team and had them playing over .500 the rest of the season.