HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Blair Betts skating

Old
01-17-2012, 08:07 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
If Betts can come back at 100%, yes, I'd take him back.

Anything less.....No

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:08 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If he gets back to 100% that could be pretty nice come playoff time. Is there a deadline that he has to be active in order to be on the playoff roster, or theoretically could he be LTIR'd until game 1 of the playoffs?
there's no deadline

as long as he's signed to an NHL contract (which he is) prior to the trade deadline, he can play in the playoffs

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
there's no deadline

as long as he's signed to an NHL contract (which he is) prior to the trade deadline, he can play in the playoffs
Awesome. He would be great to have in the playoffs if he is 100%. If he's still rehabbing, I wouldn't risk it unless he can get a few games under his belt down the stretch. Basically, don't want him in the playoffs without having stepped on the ice in an NHL game unless he is 100%. If he's less than 100% but plays a few games and is able to do his job, then giddyup!

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:39 AM
dats81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
If Betts can come back at 100%, yes, I'd take him back.

Anything less.....No
I doubt he will ever be 100% again.

He has had dislocated shoulders multiple times to a degree where it clearly affects his ability to take faceoffs (Powe used to replace him a lot on draws last season). Betts has been one of the slowest forwards on the roster even when his knee was still holding up...
Don't get me wrong, I like him as a person and the work ethic he has been showing, but I just can't see how he can help this team unless multiple players go down due to injury with no time for a call up.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:53 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I doubt he will ever be 100% again.

He has had dislocated shoulders multiple times to a degree where it clearly affects his ability to take faceoffs (Powe used to replace him a lot on draws last season). Betts has been one of the slowest forwards on the roster even when his knee was still holding up...
Don't get me wrong, I like him as a person and the work ethic he has been showing, but I just can't see how he can help this team unless multiple players go down due to injury with no time for a call up.
That's what I'm saying. If he's below 100% but can still block shots and hang at an NHL level before the playoffs, then include him on the playoff roster. If he doesn't play prior to playoffs or can't hang, then no dice.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:28 AM
MrHockey1982

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._is_No__1.html

Quote:
Forward Blair Betts practiced with the club, although he's still out indefinitely with a knee injury. Betts said after practice he expects to play this season . . .

I wonder if he expects to play with the Flyers?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:32 AM
thelos
Bunk

one positive about him resting his knee is that it also gives his shoulder plenty of time to heal fully, which will help him on faceoffs if he comes back

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post

Yeah, that's a good point. I'd like to see him here, but they already waived him once. I wonder if when he can pass a physical if they'll waive him again. Didn't really consider that when I first heard the news.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Codith

Wow betts is only 31? swore the guy was like 38 or older, no idea he was only 31

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Kaktus*

Just do not high five Betts and he is going to be ok.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I don't understand how some people can be so adverse to Betts returning if he's capable. The defense has been suffering mightily, the addition of a defensively sound forward would be helpful.

01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
ugiswrong

I hope he comes back; he could really help out the Phantoms

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't understand how some people can be so adverse to Betts returning if he's capable. The defense has been suffering mightily, the addition of a defensively sound forward would be helpful.
Some fans like their players a little more flashy. Betts isn't flashy but he is good at what he does and would automatically be one of our better defensive forwards when in.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:27 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd have no problem with him returning if he's reasonably healthy cause our team defence is brutal

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Some fans like their players a little more flashy. Betts isn't flashy but he is good at what he does and would automatically be one of our better defensive forwards when in.
I wouldn't mind him back but the biggest issue is if he can skate. If he can't keep up with the play he will be more a liability than help on the defensive side of the game. The knee issue was reported to be really serious so that definitely can slow him down.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
DickTony

If Betts can honestly rehab his knee to the point where he isn't skating at a complete snails pace, I wouldn't mind giving him a few games towards the end of the season flanking the 4th line. He'd be an excellent addition if only for defensive zone face offs, which hasn't exactly been a strong suit for us this year.

Then again, if Schenn can find his groove in the circle, it make finally make Betts completely irrelevant. It's a shame, he's a very likable guy and deserves a crack at another NHL roster if not this one. I liken him to a Jimmy Dowd or an obviously less impactful Jason Smith. All heart and soul.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post

The Flyers plan is to have him play in a game before the February 26 or whatever date it is so he can be playoff eligible. And if we do trade JvR we can move Coots up to JvR's spot, and have Betts take over on the 4th line

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Flyrs21

A healthy Blair Betts can win a faceoff, which the Flyers aren't the greatest at doing at the moment.

For the 3 or 4 minutes Rinaldo or Harry Z. may play in the playoffs, I'd rather have Betts in there for faceoffs.

Betts had a 50.3 winning percentage last year

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:19 AM
RyK15*

If he's ready to go, I'd love to him on that 4th line. Back to the Adirondacks for Harry Z.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:21 AM
RyK15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
The Flyers plan is to have him play in a game before the February 26 or whatever date it is so he can be playoff eligible. And if we do trade JvR we can move Coots up to JvR's spot, and have Betts take over on the 4th line
A line of Simmonds - Couturier - Read sounds excellent. Especially if it lands us Suter in place of JVR. I feel like that line would produce in the playoffs. Then again, that line would probably feature Talbot rather than Read, who would probably be playing 2nd line with Briere and Voracek.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:53 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
I asked the question of whether there is some deadline and someone said earlier there is no deadline. Who is right? Haha.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:28 AM
dats81

Why should there be a such kind of deadline? We have had a bunch of black aces come playoff time every year where most of them haven't played a single game in the NHl all year. I'm not aware of a special clause regarding LTIR as well - I mean who would sit a player for the entire regular season on purpose just to circumvent the salary cap?

Last edited by dats81: 01-18-2012 at 09:34 AM.
dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Why should there be a such kind of deadline? We have had a bunch of black aces come playoff time every year where most of them haven't played a single game in the NHl all year. I'm not aware of a special clause regarding LTIR as well - I mean who would sit a player for the entire regular season on purpose just to circumvent the salary cap?
I'm not saying there should be one, but I know in baseball I think you have to be on the 40-man roster to play in the playoffs and I think in the NHL once a playoff series starts you can't call someone up or send someone down until the next round IIRC.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Hooah4

No more Betts please. Yes when healthy the guy was good @ D zone faceoffs and PK but I'd rather Cooter or Harry Z in there. Develop some youth!

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Starting to sound like Blair Betts' career is over. Someone tweeted the other day that he's been up in the coaches' box, and today:

RT @DNFlyers: Blair Betts out on the ice in a coach's outfit.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote