HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franson almost becoming "Untouchable"

Old
01-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Northern Dancer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennerandNazzie View Post
Listening to Blue Breakfast on TSN 1050 this morning and Dreger had a talk with Burke before the Sabres game last week. Burke said that Dion was the only untouchable player on the blueline but also said that Cody Franson is almost at that status as well. I will post the link to the interview when they post it on TSN.

Move the thread if necessary. Thought it was a pretty good discussion to start.
Very interesting for Burke to say that. Seems to me he is prepping fans for the trading of Schenn. Why in the world would he tell Schenn what he said last week and then make the Franson statement?

The conspiracy theory part of me thinks something big is brewing.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Man Bear Pig

With guys in the system like Blacker and Percy you'd have to believe that someone is going to be expendable. Burke made the deal with the Preds for Franson alone, he obviously likes the kid and he's played well. Someone will be moved, Burke promised a trade and a D will be on the table.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
From a cap standpoint, Gunnar, Franson, Aulie are more valuable than Liles, Schenn, or Komi.

Franson will get a bump next year as a RFA, and if his agent is reasonable he will be paid less than Luke will be, making him a good cap hit. Don Meehan's negotiations with the Leafs were well documentated this summer. It can be argued if he is indeed worth 3.6m for 5 years. Not a contract that will cripple a deal but maybe too rich for the Leafs moving fwd with Dion and Komi(unless he is moved) and Liles in limbo for next year.

Gunnar, Franson and Aulie should not command as much as Liles, Komi or Schenn and considering Gunnar and Franson have played as well as they have this year with a cap hit of only 2.1M. They are safer from being moved than the latter players mentioned.
Wouldn't better players on cheaper contracts be worth much much more? Flawed logic my friend

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:30 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Wouldn't better players on cheaper contracts be worth much much more? Flawed logic my friend
I believe I just said this. No one is going to trade you a marquee player for Gunnar or Franson. For Schenn maybe.

In addition, trading players at the right time is an art, very similar to trading stocks. Maybe one day Franson and Gunnar will get to the point of being too pricy to keep when you have younger players pushing for a job. Ie. Percy. But to me the time to trade Luke, Liles or Komi is now. Not next year.

Last edited by The Mentalist: 01-17-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added to post
The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:30 AM
gabeliscious

fransons shot is huge for our pp. it gives us 2 big time shots from the point with him and phanuef. i find fransons shot usually gets through too.

its not difficult to see why he might be more valuable then say someone like aulie. he has the same size but can put up offensive numbers. he is young, cheap, and big. he also doesnt have the overall value of someone like schenn or even gunnarson, or gardiner so you could never get the value he brings to the leafs back in a trade

gabeliscious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:31 AM
SprDaVE

Franson is our best defenseman at getting shots through from the point. He knows when to shoot with power and when to shoot with accuracy, something Phaneuf seems to lack a lot of times.

He's been steady since his lack of playing to start the year.

He still has some mental burps in the defensive zone but his overall offensive game makes up for it.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Dark Knight
Lawson Crouse

I'm seriously not surprised by it. He's been playing like a top 4 defenseman and he's got such a wicket shot but tends to have problems with accuracy. He's great, and I mean great man-to-man. I love it when he sort of punches the opposing forward or D-man down on the ice and is able to walk away with no penalty so, yes, he's played very physical too.

He's also young and has size as well. I'd keep him going forward as he's becoming a core guy.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:36 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

I think something we need to remember is that Franson is still fairly young. The more and more he plays the more and more comfortable he will get offensively and defensively. And from I've seen offensively, with his shot, he gets it through often, doesn't always overpower it, and he doesn't usually get caught as much down ice, pinching in.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:38 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I'm seriously not surprised by it. He's been playing like a top 4 defenseman and he's got such a wicket shot but tends to have problems with accuracy. He's great, and I mean great man-to-man. I love it when he sort of punches the opposing forward or D-man down on the ice and is able to walk away with no penalty so, yes, he's played very physical too.

He's also young and has size as well. I'd keep him going forward as he's becoming a core guy.
He's starting to use his size a bit more, this more than anything makes me happy. He still needs to improve in that area, and he should, so there may be more upside to his game.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Yosho
Logic

The Franson/Lambo trade still boggles my mind.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:40 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I like Franson but this is going way over the top .

Who knows what Burkes trying to spin now . Maybe he's pimping him to spin Schenn or another D as expendable .

If we drop another game or two i can see Burke making a deal to try to get us into the playoffs and save Ronnie's job .
How will we know if he's "doing it to save Ronnie's job" or just doing it to make his team better?

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Very interesting for Burke to say that. Seems to me he is prepping fans for the trading of Schenn. Why in the world would he tell Schenn what he said last week and then make the Franson statement?

OMG YOU ARE HERE ND! WE MISS YOU !

I think so too, something is cooking for sure. I think its sorta of like his situation with Lupul and Pronger.

01-17-2012, 08:47 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
How will we know if he's "doing it to save Ronnie's job" or just doing it to make his team better?
We'll know when we look at the deal .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Budsfan

Franson has become a big part of our defence and as someone said you can't teach 6'5", this also applies to Aulie 6'6", he needs some more time to develop but twin towers like these two, bodes well for the future.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:00 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post

I really want to deny anything like that happening but it only makes sense that Schenn could be on his way out.

I really love the guy too, would be a shame to see him traded.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Kulemon

Phaneuf
Liles
Gunnarsson
Franson
Gardiner
Schenn
Aulie
Komisarek

Thats our D ranking this season based on their play. If Gardiner never would have gotten tired and the scratched for it he would have been 2 or 3 easily.

Kulemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:07 AM
threeGo

This was mentioned on hnc last Saturday. I would have thought someone mentioned this already

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Ari91

Franson has been one of our most solid blueliners and it feels pretty good saying that since many on here wrote him off after his comments about being frustrated about not making the roster. I guess the alternative is that it's better to have players who are completely fine with getting paid while sitting in the pressbox. Franson has shown that he has real value to the team. Whether he's untouchable or not, I don't know but I do know that I'd prefer to watch this team with Franson playing on it than him not.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:25 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Franson's been much better than I thought he'd be. His skating hasn't been quite the weakness that I thought it might, and the huge leap forward in his physical game has changed his player profile completely. I agree with Burke that he's become a keeper for sure.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:26 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Phaneuf
Liles
Gunnarsson
Franson
Gardiner
Schenn
Aulie
Komisarek

Thats our D ranking this season based on their play. If Gardiner never would have gotten tired and the scratched for it he would have been 2 or 3 easily.
Almost perfect, except that Aulie has easily been better than Schenn.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:28 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
I like Franson but this is going way over the top .

Who knows what Burkes trying to spin now . Maybe he's pimping him to spin Schenn or another D as expendable .

If we drop another game or two i can see Burke making a deal to try to get us into the playoffs and save Ronnie's job .
Burke will make a trade to improve the team? God, I hope not.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Sundinisagod

When I look at our young defencemen, I'd say Franson has the tools to be the best defencemen outside of Phaneuf. It comes down to him and Gardiner for highest upside, and I don't know if Gardiner's skating trumps Franson's shot and size.

Franson
Gardiner
Schenn
Gunnarson
Aulie

It's definately between Franson and Gardiner for upside, and we know Burke likes em big...another steal by Burkie, great haul!

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He's starting to use his size a bit more, this more than anything makes me happy. He still needs to improve in that area, and he should, so there may be more upside to his game.
yeah, i was impressed with that. nashville made it seem like he was david steckel or something, but he's been quite physical

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:44 AM
BertCorbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
The Franson/Lambo trade still boggles my mind.

It's the power of Ledba

BertCorbeau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:49 AM
punchdrunk

Komisarek seems to have no place on this team in the present or the future.

punchdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote