HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Ferguson Jr. To Become CBJ GM

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2012, 01:02 PM
TheTotalPackage

vCash: 500
With all due respect, but I'll feel sorry for all you poor souls if JFJ is the man who ends up being put in charge of the Blue Jackets. Your team has been mired in disaster and JMFFJ is the one that ownership would peg to turn the ship around?!

Old
01-16-2012, 01:28 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
With all due respect, but I'll feel sorry for all you poor souls if JFJ is the man who ends up being put in charge of the Blue Jackets. Your team has been mired in disaster and JMFFJ is the one that ownership would peg to turn the ship around?!
Outside of a throwaway comment at the tail end of a Garrioch article, there are no other sources for this report. He probably picked JFJ just because he's one of the poorer choices out there as a crack on the CBJ organization. IMO, Garrioch's just a troll with a byline.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I recommend "any at all". There's hating the job a person's done, and then there's being so blinded to that disgust that you'll take anyone else - even if they're a proven downgrade - simply because they're Not The Current Guy. By endorsing JFJ, you've crossed that line.
Viqy, you seem to have a hard time comprehending posts, I didn't endorse any one, I said " I don't know much about JFJ, but I find it hard to believe he would be a downgrade from Howson". You seem to like to rip my posts and that's fine, just get your facts straight!

You apparently like Howson and his moronic, meaningless moves, good for you, but we have had 11 years of failure with two GM's who didn't know what they were doing. Firing coaches isn't the answer! Get the right GM in here who can bring in the right players and the coaching will take care of it self.

Old
01-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Viqy, you seem to have a hard time comprehending posts, I didn't endorse any one, I said " I don't know much about JFJ, but I find it hard to believe he would be a downgrade from Howson". You seem to like to rip my posts and that's fine, just get your facts straight!

You apparently like Howson and his moronic, meaningless moves, good for you, but we have had 11 years of failure with two GM's who didn't know what they were doing. Firing coaches isn't the answer! Get the right GM in here who can bring in the right players and the coaching will take care of it self.
Mea culpa, then. I concede that you didn't explicitly endorse JFJ, just "anyone other than Howson". While JFJ is not Howson and thus theoretically falls under that endorsement, I can see how there might be some confusion.

My suggestion to you would be, going forward, to look at threads regarding team moves and rumors of moves as opportunities to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of such moves, rather than using them as yet another vehicle to loudly complain about just how unbearably awful the status quo is. Because from outside, that appears to be all you did - there wasnt even didn't even the slightest attention paid to JFJ and/or whether or not he'd be worthwhile other than "he's not Howson". We get that you don't like him. Many folks here don't like him. That's not the point.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
01-17-2012, 09:41 AM
bberard34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19245191.html

Been gaining steam and if it's true I'm a bit excited for CBJ. JFJ never really got a fair shake in Toronto since the old veterans on the team had him handicapped with their big contracts + NTC's and the ownership wanted playoffs now.

Good news is he is currently working as a scout for San Jose, given their drafting fortunes I'd say he'd help out CBJ quite a bit.
He was the one that signed those contracts!!!!!!!!

Old
01-17-2012, 09:53 AM
bberard34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19245191.html

Been gaining steam and if it's true I'm a bit excited for CBJ. JFJ never really got a fair shake in Toronto since the old veterans on the team had him handicapped with their big contracts + NTC's and the ownership wanted playoffs now.

Good news is he is currently working as a scout for San Jose, given their drafting fortunes I'd say he'd help out CBJ quite a bit.
If the Jackets hire anybody out of San Jose it should be Jonas Wells, he will be a GM one day, still maybe a little on the young side but his name will pop up in rumors sooner rather than later

Old
01-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Doug19

This ownership can't be so inept that they would hire this guy could they? Seriously, a guy who tanked badly last time he was GM is being considered? Hopefully this is just a bogus rumor.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
This ownership can't be so inept that they would hire this guy could they? Seriously, a guy who tanked badly last time he was GM is being considered? Hopefully this is just a bogus rumor.
The rumor came from Boo Boo Garrioch, Doug MacLean's ******* buddy. He likes to take a shot now and then at the Jackets for MacLean.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
The rumor came from Boo Boo Garrioch, Doug MacLean's ******* buddy. He likes to take a shot now and then at the Jackets for MacLean.
About one hour ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by @SunGarrioch
I always enjoy being insulted and told what to think by Doug MacLean. Makes my day. Still don't know why Columbus fired him. #NHL
(source: https://twitter.com/#!/SunGarrioch/s...33612729274368)

Hmmmm.

Old
01-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
About one hour ago...

Hmmmm.
So if Garrioch roams the boards, who else does? And does that make the trade/rumor board the source of so many things we see being reported by the actual "WE are above the internet bloggers" media?

Old
01-17-2012, 02:17 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
About one hour ago...

Hmmmm.
Then ask Boo Boo why he was on MacLean's show yet again? He is a regular when a number of NHL execs and media avoid that show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
So if Garrioch roams the boards, who else does? And does that make the trade/rumor board the source of so many things we see being reported by the actual "WE are above the internet bloggers" media?
I'm guessing that tweet was not about these boards, but because he was interviewed by MacLean on Hockeycentral at Noon TODAY.

MacLean makes these long statements and tries to turn them into interview questions by asking, "Don't you agree?"

Old
01-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
No

I'm with Leek, when the time comes I want to see Dudley on the short list...... Not saying I want him as of this posting but he needs to be a serious consideration.

Old
01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I'm guessing that tweet was not about these boards, but because he was interviewed by MacLean on Hockeycentral at Noon TODAY.

MacLean makes these long statements and tries to turn them into interview questions by asking, "Don't you agree?"
Ah yes, pet peeve #2 with the media. #1, of course, is simply making a statement and then waiting for an answer.

I think it was three years ago where Jim Day was talking to Fedor Tyutin and made a statement, then held the microphone over. Tyutin looked confused for a second, then he leaned in and said "I agree". And since then, I have loved Fedor Tyutin.

Pet peeve #3, by the way, involves a reporter having just watched a game in a press box surrounded by all sorts of other people with conversations and observations flying freely....then in the postgame presser, saying "So, coach, tell us about the game."

Old
01-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Ah yes, pet peeve #2 with the media. #1, of course, is simply making a statement and then waiting for an answer.

I think it was three years ago where Jim Day was talking to Fedor Tyutin and made a statement, then held the microphone over. Tyutin looked confused for a second, then he leaned in and said "I agree". And since then, I have loved Fedor Tyutin.

Pet peeve #3, by the way, involves a reporter having just watched a game in a press box surrounded by all sorts of other people with conversations and observations flying freely....then in the postgame presser, saying "So, coach, tell us about the game."
Coach Bobby Knight, aboout whom my own opinion is mixed, once answered a meandering reporter's question during a post-game press conference with "Yes."

Wish I'd heard that bit with Tyutin.

Old
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Coach Bobby Knight, aboout whom my own opinion is mixed, once answered a meandering reporter's question during a post-game press conference with "Yes."

Wish I'd heard that bit with Tyutin.
Birch Barlow: Mayor Quimby, you're well known for your lenient stance on crime. But suppose for a second that your house was ransacked by thugs, your family tied up in the basement, with socks in their mouths! You try to open the door, but there's too much blood on the knob...
Mayor Quimby: Ah, er, what is your question?
Birch Barlow: My question is about the budget, sir.

I also tried to find video of Phil Hartman as Sam Donaldson from the 1988 and 1992 SNL presidential debates, but I can't. A transcript will have to suffice.

Sam Donaldson: Governor Clinton, let's be frank. You're running for president, yet your only experience has been as the governor of a small, backward state with a population of drunken hillbillies riding around in pickup trucks. The main streets of your capital city, Little Rock, are something out of L'il Abner, with buxom underage girls in their cutoff denims prancing around in front of Jethro and Billy Bob, while corncob-pipe-smoking, shotgun-toting grannies fire indiscriminantly at runaway hogs.

Bill Clinton: I'm sorry, Sam, do you have a question?

Sam Donaldson: Your leadership style has been described as technotronic, cool, emotionally dead. Even your closest admirers admit that sometimes you are distant and aloof, a bit of a cold fish. Pundits are saying that one of the reasons you trail in the polls is that you are uninspiring, and seem totally devoid of passion.

Michael Dukakis: What's the question?

Old
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Setting up the play?

Old
01-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Setting up the play?
That was an all-time great media scrum.

Old
01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Dream team.... Dudley/Dineen/Yakupov.... Just kidding but it would be fun to assess..

Old
01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
I'm surprised that CBJ hasn't snapped up Preds AGM Paul Fenton...
This is who I want . . . bad!! Hopefully Jackets fire Howson and Priest both, and hire Fenton. Would be a huge step in right direction!

Old
01-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Palinka

If John Ferguson Jr. were to be named as GM, I'd probably start crying myself to sleep at night. And soon enough, so would everyone else on these boards. I'd rather have John Ferguson as GM, and he's been dead for five years.

There are three different ways to acquire the pieces to build a team with: free agency, drafting, and trading. With Columbus not exactly being a prime free agent destination, that leaves only the other two.

Does anyone really want to dig up Ferguson's drafting record? How about his trading record? The sliver of success that the Leafs had when he was around was due to signing UFAs to massive contracts who, despite being past their primes, were still somewhat productive. I once chatted up a Leafs scout at an OHL game around 2006, and I asked him how it was going. All he did was shake his head and say, "Honestly? I don't even know why any of us are doing this."

If you want a comparison for situations, look at Nashville. Not a prime free agent destination, and forced to trade well and draft well. Nashville has benefited enormously not only from getting NHL players in the draft, but some really good NHL players. They've gotten players of a high enough caliber that it's allowed everyone to overlook a somewhat spotty first-round record, as well as a largely middling group of forwards. They've had a solid but not excellent trade record; there have been a few hits, but several big whiffs as well.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:24 PM
pucky

CBJ Management would have to be on drugs to consider JFJ.

Here's his history of GM of the Leafs:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...uson_timeline/

Definitely one of the worst GMs of the Leafs.

Horrible evaluator all the way around. Not sure how he had an assistant GM job with St. Louis and VP, even?!? Then again, the Blues didn't really do much while he was there.

He totally sucks.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
CBJ Management would have to be on drugs to consider JFJ.

Here's his history of GM of the Leafs:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...uson_timeline/

Definitely one of the worst GMs of the Leafs.

Horrible evaluator all the way around. Not sure how he had an assistant GM job with St. Louis and VP, even?!? Then again, the Blues didn't really do much while he was there.

He totally sucks.
Your bump almost gave me a heart attack, I forgot about this thread and only focused on the GM part...

Old
02-03-2012, 08:53 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

This thread can't be locked and buried fast enough for my taste.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:00 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

lock 'er up.

Closed Thread