HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Per Marinaro: Subban being shopped!

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
JackZap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
The only person I'd trade Subban for is Ovechkin. He's 22 and is having a sophmore slump but even there his season is still pretty decent. He'll be awesome at 25. Gauthier will never work again in the NHL if he trades Subban.
regardless if he trades him or not, PG days in hockey might be coming to an end

Old
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Coldplay
Courage

If Subban gets us Weber or Suter with a contract extension, I'd do it.

Otherwise, non merci.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Gauthier doesn't shop players around... according to Milbury he simply trades them without getting good value (see the Halak and Cammalleri trades)
Something tells me that RIGHT NOW is not a good time to bring the Halak for Eller trade.....

Old
01-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why the heck would it be dumb to see what's out there for Subban? First, I don't want him to be traded. Not at all. But how's our record in Montreal with players who might have some "attitude" issues? Oh yes....they are all gone. Well Subban might fit the bill. Though, all that aside and in Gauthier's favor, if the guy learned that some teams are ready to overpay for Subban, why not even just consider it? Considering it doesn't mean making the deal.

Again, I would not make it. I would actually be pissed if we do. Yet....like I keep saying, it's often who you get than who goes. My problem is that I have no faith in Gauthier to be able to do great in a trade like that.
Agreed 100%. I don't want to see PK go, but if there is a chance that we could get better by moving him then the Habs have no choice but to explore that option. But I still don't trust Gauthier

Old
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Yes, Zach better be coming to Montreal with a contract extension cause if he isn't he will be walking this summer and we would have ended up with nothing
did not look into that, hopefully if its ever the case, it will come with some kind of guarantees to an extension.

@MathMan
I'm firm belier that PK adds alot to a team, and is rare to find for sure. But more rare then real number 1 center (in terms of offensive production value?) Something that usually can only be get with top 5 pick, which i doubt we will get for a while.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wouldn't trade Subban for any kind of forward this side of Steven Stamkos. Defensemen are way more important and harder to replace.
But Subban sucks this year!!!!

Seriously there isn't any scenario I can think of in wich trading Pk Subban would make sense. If you trade him you need a #1 defenceman back and, if you forget the blown up by the media "somophore slump", that's what he is so it would be a lateral move. If you trade him for a foward well the whole defence crumble and you bet on Markov being the same or Beaulieu ending up as good as PK. The only it would make sense is if a team ridiculously overpay and there is no way I thrust PG to pull that off. And by overpayment I mean getting another Subban back+.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
giovannicanella

Agreed with whitesnake and habs 4 life, is it true though on tsn990 rumour has it they were or are discussing the possibility of a kovy for subban type of deal...am at uni so can't hear tsn 990 now...

Old
01-17-2012, 11:40 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Something tells me that RIGHT NOW is not a good time to bring the Halak for Eller trade.....
?????? Sorry curious to know what you mean by that?

Old
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

it better not be kovalchuk, that would be TERRIBLE.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Would you trade PK for a signed Zach Parise?

Btw PG was spotted at Newark hotel this morning.
Not with Parise only having 5 months left on his contract.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Why the heck would it be dumb to see what's out there for Subban? First, I don't want him to be traded. Not at all. But how's our record in Montreal with players who might have some "attitude" issues? Oh yes....they are all gone. Well Subban might fit the bill. Though, all that aside and in Gauthier's favor, if the guy learned that some teams are ready to overpay for Subban, why not even just consider it? Considering it doesn't mean making the deal.

Again, I would not make it. I would actually be pissed if we do. Yet....like I keep saying, it's often who you get than who goes. My problem is that I have no faith in Gauthier to be able to do great in a trade like that.
Being shopped is different than other teams inquiring about him. I think it would be very foolish to trade PK.

He has problems with guys in the room? Seriously who? Pleky? This guy works way too hard and is too professional to let it affect him. PK is popular with Price, Eller and Pacioretty and really that is all that matters since they are the future. I couldn't give two ***** if a guy like Gionta did not like him. He is not going to be here that long anyways.

Regardless, one of the main reasons I am confident that we are not trading PK is because of PG. Remember this is a guy that kept Price over Halak. Price was given every chance, had attitude problems, poor work ethic and amidst it all, remained in Montreal.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

How is Tony Marinaro considered a legit source around here?

Old
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Agreed with whitesnake and habs 4 life, is it true though on tsn990 rumour has it they were or are discussing the possibility of a kovy for subban type of deal...am at uni so can't hear tsn 990 now...
They're only discussing it cause Marinaro, Tieman and Campbell disagree about whether they would trade Subban for Kovalchuk. They're not discussing the possibility of a trade involving those players whatsoever.

Old
grrrreg
Soft European

No matter how we rate Gauthier's trades, so far there has been a constant: there were none or very few rumors preceding them. Every time, they came a little bit out of the blue. Halak for Eller, Wiz, Kaberle, Sopel, even the Cammalleri trade to some extent. Gauthier seems to manage to keep his trade discussions relatively secret. Maybe this will be the exception though, but I'd be surprised.

Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
How is Tony Marinaro considered a legit source around here?
He gets most of his rumours from the trade proposal thread. Probably not even kidding, he posts here.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Agreed 100%. I don't want to see PK go, but if there is a chance that we could get better by moving him then the Habs have no choice but to explore that option. But I still don't trust Gauthier
They may be able to get better short term, bit I don't see too many scenarios where trading Subban will make us better long term. The guy is 22 with big time upside. He isn't exactly the first guy in the NHL to have a "sophmore slump". I think most of his issues are related to maturity, and as we saw with Price, struggles force guys to grow up and get better.

Old
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
did not look into that, hopefully if its ever the case, it will come with some kind of guarantees to an extension.

@MathMan
I'm firm belier that PK adds alot to a team, and is rare to find for sure. But more rare then real number 1 center (in terms of offensive production value?) Something that usually can only be get with top 5 pick, which i doubt we will get for a while.
oh yee of little faith... if the season ended today, we'd be slotted 7th (pending the lottery), making a top-5 pick a bigger likelihood this year than it's been in a long long time.

Old
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We're getting Denis Savard?

Awesome, I can wear my old jersey again!
ROFL!

I just can't fathom the org doing the same mistake with the privilege of looking in the past.

Let it be known; Chelios was an uncontrolable, insufferable *****. He was hated by everyone. Still doesn't change the fact that he was a great D who managed to play 15 more years at a great level. Out of 23 players, they won't all be great guys. We CAN live with a couple of idiots...

Old
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
They're only discussing it cause Marinaro, Tieman and Campbell disagree about whether they would trade Subban for Kovalchuk. They're not discussing the possibility of a trade involving those players whatsoever.
If i can get another poster confirming this, thread locked.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Beakermania*

Trading a 22 year old defenceman who plays 25 minutes per game; is matched up against top lines every night, and is even for +/- would be a massive, massive mistake.

He's also apparently in a "sophomore slump" and his offensive numbers are down. Even with that he's still on pace for about 6 goals and 35 pts... which is not as good as we hoped, but is not horrible either.

People forget that a developping defenceman takes time, and sophomore slumps are common.

I still think Subban is on track to be a top tier dman in this league and I hope its in Montreal.

Speaking of Sophomore slumps, remember when many in the fanbase and media wanted Carey Price traded?

Old
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Trading a 22 year old defenceman who plays 25 minutes per game; is matched up against top lines every night, and is even for +/- would be a massive, massive mistake.

He's also apparently in a "sophomore slump" and his offensive numbers are down. Even with that he's still on pace for about 6 goals and 35 pts... which is not as good as we hoped, but is not horrible either.

People forget that a developping defenceman takes time, and sophomore slumps are common.

I still think Subban is on track to be a top tier dman in this league and I hope its in Montreal.

Speaking of Sophomore slumps, remember when many in the fanbase and media wanted Carey Price traded?
You wouldn't trade Subban for Weber or, a guy many on the Preds' board consider to be better than him, Ryan Suter signed to an extension?

Old
01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Et le But

Mariano = troll

That being said, Subban isn't good enough to be untouchable, but he's not someone you actively try to move unless a deal you can't say no to comes up.

He doesn't have the issues Chelios has either...he might be annoying to be around, but he's not that bad. And Subban has already been compared to Chelios as the best two way defensive prospect since then...

Old
01-17-2012, 11:49 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If i can get another poster confirming this, thread locked.
He even tweeted it. Here it is:

TonyMarinaro Tony Marinaro
Heated debate off-air soon to be on-air. @seanrcampbell @sportsstache just told me they would trade PK Subban for Ilya Kovalchuk. I said NO.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Emanresu Wen

One Does Not Simply Shop Subban.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
He even tweeted it. Here it is:

TonyMarinaro Tony Marinaro
Heated debate off-air soon to be on-air. @seanrcampbell @sportsstache just told me they would trade PK Subban for Ilya Kovalchuk. I said NO.
Alright. Thanks for that.

No actual rumour guys, just somebody blowing something marinaro said out of proportion.

Closed Thread