HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Per Marinaro: Subban being shopped!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
  #51
JackZap
Registered User
 
JackZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
The only person I'd trade Subban for is Ovechkin. He's 22 and is having a sophmore slump but even there his season is still pretty decent. He'll be awesome at 25. Gauthier will never work again in the NHL if he trades Subban.
regardless if he trades him or not, PG days in hockey might be coming to an end

JackZap is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
  #52
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,347
vCash: 500
If Subban gets us Weber or Suter with a contract extension, I'd do it.

Otherwise, non merci.

Coldplay is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
  #53
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Gauthier doesn't shop players around... according to Milbury he simply trades them without getting good value (see the Halak and Cammalleri trades)
Something tells me that RIGHT NOW is not a good time to bring the Halak for Eller trade.....

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:36 AM
  #54
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why the heck would it be dumb to see what's out there for Subban? First, I don't want him to be traded. Not at all. But how's our record in Montreal with players who might have some "attitude" issues? Oh yes....they are all gone. Well Subban might fit the bill. Though, all that aside and in Gauthier's favor, if the guy learned that some teams are ready to overpay for Subban, why not even just consider it? Considering it doesn't mean making the deal.

Again, I would not make it. I would actually be pissed if we do. Yet....like I keep saying, it's often who you get than who goes. My problem is that I have no faith in Gauthier to be able to do great in a trade like that.
Agreed 100%. I don't want to see PK go, but if there is a chance that we could get better by moving him then the Habs have no choice but to explore that option. But I still don't trust Gauthier

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
  #55
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Yes, Zach better be coming to Montreal with a contract extension cause if he isn't he will be walking this summer and we would have ended up with nothing
did not look into that, hopefully if its ever the case, it will come with some kind of guarantees to an extension.

@MathMan
I'm firm belier that PK adds alot to a team, and is rare to find for sure. But more rare then real number 1 center (in terms of offensive production value?) Something that usually can only be get with top 5 pick, which i doubt we will get for a while.

uiCk is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
  #56
EllertoKostitsynGoal
Registered User
 
EllertoKostitsynGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I wouldn't trade Subban for any kind of forward this side of Steven Stamkos. Defensemen are way more important and harder to replace.
But Subban sucks this year!!!!

Seriously there isn't any scenario I can think of in wich trading Pk Subban would make sense. If you trade him you need a #1 defenceman back and, if you forget the blown up by the media "somophore slump", that's what he is so it would be a lateral move. If you trade him for a foward well the whole defence crumble and you bet on Markov being the same or Beaulieu ending up as good as PK. The only it would make sense is if a team ridiculously overpay and there is no way I thrust PG to pull that off. And by overpayment I mean getting another Subban back+.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
  #57
giovannicanella
Registered User
 
giovannicanella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Agreed with whitesnake and habs 4 life, is it true though on tsn990 rumour has it they were or are discussing the possibility of a kovy for subban type of deal...am at uni so can't hear tsn 990 now...

giovannicanella is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:40 AM
  #58
EllertoKostitsynGoal
Registered User
 
EllertoKostitsynGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Something tells me that RIGHT NOW is not a good time to bring the Halak for Eller trade.....
?????? Sorry curious to know what you mean by that?

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
  #59
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 500
it better not be kovalchuk, that would be TERRIBLE.

uiCk is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:41 AM
  #60
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Would you trade PK for a signed Zach Parise?

Btw PG was spotted at Newark hotel this morning.
Not with Parise only having 5 months left on his contract.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
  #61
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why the heck would it be dumb to see what's out there for Subban? First, I don't want him to be traded. Not at all. But how's our record in Montreal with players who might have some "attitude" issues? Oh yes....they are all gone. Well Subban might fit the bill. Though, all that aside and in Gauthier's favor, if the guy learned that some teams are ready to overpay for Subban, why not even just consider it? Considering it doesn't mean making the deal.

Again, I would not make it. I would actually be pissed if we do. Yet....like I keep saying, it's often who you get than who goes. My problem is that I have no faith in Gauthier to be able to do great in a trade like that.
Being shopped is different than other teams inquiring about him. I think it would be very foolish to trade PK.

He has problems with guys in the room? Seriously who? Pleky? This guy works way too hard and is too professional to let it affect him. PK is popular with Price, Eller and Pacioretty and really that is all that matters since they are the future. I couldn't give two ***** if a guy like Gionta did not like him. He is not going to be here that long anyways.

Regardless, one of the main reasons I am confident that we are not trading PK is because of PG. Remember this is a guy that kept Price over Halak. Price was given every chance, had attitude problems, poor work ethic and amidst it all, remained in Montreal.

holyhabs87 is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
  #62
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,455
vCash: 500
How is Tony Marinaro considered a legit source around here?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
  #63
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Agreed with whitesnake and habs 4 life, is it true though on tsn990 rumour has it they were or are discussing the possibility of a kovy for subban type of deal...am at uni so can't hear tsn 990 now...
They're only discussing it cause Marinaro, Tieman and Campbell disagree about whether they would trade Subban for Kovalchuk. They're not discussing the possibility of a trade involving those players whatsoever.

The Gal Pals is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
  #64
grrrreg
Soft European
 
grrrreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
No matter how we rate Gauthier's trades, so far there has been a constant: there were none or very few rumors preceding them. Every time, they came a little bit out of the blue. Halak for Eller, Wiz, Kaberle, Sopel, even the Cammalleri trade to some extent. Gauthier seems to manage to keep his trade discussions relatively secret. Maybe this will be the exception though, but I'd be surprised.

grrrreg is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
  #65
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
How is Tony Marinaro considered a legit source around here?
He gets most of his rumours from the trade proposal thread. Probably not even kidding, he posts here.

Coldplay is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
  #66
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Agreed 100%. I don't want to see PK go, but if there is a chance that we could get better by moving him then the Habs have no choice but to explore that option. But I still don't trust Gauthier
They may be able to get better short term, bit I don't see too many scenarios where trading Subban will make us better long term. The guy is 22 with big time upside. He isn't exactly the first guy in the NHL to have a "sophmore slump". I think most of his issues are related to maturity, and as we saw with Price, struggles force guys to grow up and get better.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
  #67
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
did not look into that, hopefully if its ever the case, it will come with some kind of guarantees to an extension.

@MathMan
I'm firm belier that PK adds alot to a team, and is rare to find for sure. But more rare then real number 1 center (in terms of offensive production value?) Something that usually can only be get with top 5 pick, which i doubt we will get for a while.
oh yee of little faith... if the season ended today, we'd be slotted 7th (pending the lottery), making a top-5 pick a bigger likelihood this year than it's been in a long long time.

Miller Time is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
  #68
Gustave
Registered User
 
Gustave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Here
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We're getting Denis Savard?

Awesome, I can wear my old jersey again!
ROFL!

I just can't fathom the org doing the same mistake with the privilege of looking in the past.

Let it be known; Chelios was an uncontrolable, insufferable *****. He was hated by everyone. Still doesn't change the fact that he was a great D who managed to play 15 more years at a great level. Out of 23 players, they won't all be great guys. We CAN live with a couple of idiots...

Gustave is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
  #69
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
They're only discussing it cause Marinaro, Tieman and Campbell disagree about whether they would trade Subban for Kovalchuk. They're not discussing the possibility of a trade involving those players whatsoever.
If i can get another poster confirming this, thread locked.

overlords is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
  #70
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Trading a 22 year old defenceman who plays 25 minutes per game; is matched up against top lines every night, and is even for +/- would be a massive, massive mistake.

He's also apparently in a "sophomore slump" and his offensive numbers are down. Even with that he's still on pace for about 6 goals and 35 pts... which is not as good as we hoped, but is not horrible either.

People forget that a developping defenceman takes time, and sophomore slumps are common.

I still think Subban is on track to be a top tier dman in this league and I hope its in Montreal.

Speaking of Sophomore slumps, remember when many in the fanbase and media wanted Carey Price traded?

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
  #71
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Trading a 22 year old defenceman who plays 25 minutes per game; is matched up against top lines every night, and is even for +/- would be a massive, massive mistake.

He's also apparently in a "sophomore slump" and his offensive numbers are down. Even with that he's still on pace for about 6 goals and 35 pts... which is not as good as we hoped, but is not horrible either.

People forget that a developping defenceman takes time, and sophomore slumps are common.

I still think Subban is on track to be a top tier dman in this league and I hope its in Montreal.

Speaking of Sophomore slumps, remember when many in the fanbase and media wanted Carey Price traded?
You wouldn't trade Subban for Weber or, a guy many on the Preds' board consider to be better than him, Ryan Suter signed to an extension?

Coldplay is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:48 AM
  #72
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,638
vCash: 500
Mariano = troll

That being said, Subban isn't good enough to be untouchable, but he's not someone you actively try to move unless a deal you can't say no to comes up.

He doesn't have the issues Chelios has either...he might be annoying to be around, but he's not that bad. And Subban has already been compared to Chelios as the best two way defensive prospect since then...

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:49 AM
  #73
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If i can get another poster confirming this, thread locked.
He even tweeted it. Here it is:

TonyMarinaro Tony Marinaro
Heated debate off-air soon to be on-air. @seanrcampbell @sportsstache just told me they would trade PK Subban for Ilya Kovalchuk. I said NO.

The Gal Pals is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
  #74
Emanresu Wen
Registered User
 
Emanresu Wen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
One Does Not Simply Shop Subban.

Emanresu Wen is offline  
Old
01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
  #75
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
He even tweeted it. Here it is:

TonyMarinaro Tony Marinaro
Heated debate off-air soon to be on-air. @seanrcampbell @sportsstache just told me they would trade PK Subban for Ilya Kovalchuk. I said NO.
Alright. Thanks for that.

No actual rumour guys, just somebody blowing something marinaro said out of proportion.

overlords is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.