HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Straight up Ryan Suter for Bobby Ryan?
no. Suter is a top 10 dman... Ryan is not a top 10 forward

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I don't see how anyone could say this team isn't better than last seasons. It is younger for sure, but our young team that lost a bunch of one goal games to Vancouver are older, more experienced and their games are growing. Our dominant pair is more dominant. I could go on about what parts are better, and in fairness, we lack the 3rd pair crease clearer from last year, I concede that. I just don't understand the doom and gloom.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:48 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
but Ryan is signed at reasonable money for three years and Suter is a UFA. Thus Anaheim says "no", not us...

If Poile could get that trade straight up he'd be crazy not to do it, and then tell suter to go enjoy the SoCal sunshine and his 7/7 will be waiting next summer with his new 30+ winger on the team..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:29 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
What difference does it make if there are bitter feelings in the negotiations? He's apparantly not signing anyway. Hockey is a business, and these are all grown men. I think they can stomach a little bit of honest talk, because that's all that it is.

If Suter didn't want to make this a distraction, then sign the deal. Heck, he could have signed it at anytime. The fact that there is speculation and hand wringing makes it all the more of the distraction.

Let's face it, Suter does want to try the open market. That's fine. I have no problem with that. But Nashville has to protect it's assets, and that's all that this is.
I have no idea how you've figured out Suter isn't signing. Now I can go to sleep tonight knowing what's going to happen with him. Thank you.

You have no idea what's going on in negotiations. Neither do I. He has as much chance of signing as he has as leaving. Did you or anyone else think we'd have Rinne locked up already? Well, that deal got done without anyone knowing anything. There have been negotiations with Suter and his agent. They have over a month before the trade deadline. Instead of beating this dead horse with opinions, why not let it play out and then make commentary about it. Doing it now is a waste of all our energy.

I have no idea why I even bother coming on here somedays because it's the same stuff. We suck. Legwand is awful. Klein is useless. Poile hasn't made us better. The sky is falling. We need to make trades. Why didn't we land Richards or Carter. We shouldn't have drafted so and so but we should've picked Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

At the end of the day, do we have a competitive hockey team. We sure do. Let Poile do his thing. Let Trotz do his. Let's do our part by supporting the team and the guys on the ice. All else is beyond our control.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I am actually warming up to this idea of getting Ryan. Would like to see a package of SK/Hornqvist + Blum/Ellis + Lindback/1st rounder offered.

Then we could get a cheap, 3rd pairing D man for a reasonable cost

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
kivaerijo

Didn't see suter injury today? Anyone? My mind went to camalleri trade last week. Maybe suter is on a cab back to hotel right now? Hope not. But they had 7 defensmen suit today?.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Apparently Sutes has been nursing an injury. I don't think this is another mid-game trade

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
Didn't see suter injury today? Anyone? My mind went to camalleri trade last week. Maybe suter is on a cab back to hotel right now? Hope not. But they had 7 defensmen suit today?.
Before the game callahan said suter was a gtd. He and smith both warmed up. I hope flu is all it is. He played the first period. Maybe decided to put him in a cab to the hotel and start pumping him full of fluids

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If you can make a separate deal for a top 4 d-man and you know Suter isn't signing, I think you make the deal.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 11:39 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Instead of beating this dead horse with opinions, why not let it play out and then make commentary about it. Doing it now is a waste of all our energy.
My bad. I thought this was a message board, a place to express opinions.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:34 AM
AEM6729

Maybe this injury (or tweak/nicked-up situation...gotta love Trotz's totally non-medical lingo, WTF do those words even mean?!) is a good thing for us. As my dad pointed out today, you have to think that every injury scare Suter or Weber has right now must make them think "Damn I could be signed for 7 years at $50 mil right now".

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:38 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Maybe this injury (or tweak/nicked-up situation...gotta love Trotz's totally non-medical lingo, WTF do those words even mean?!) is a good thing for us. As my dad pointed out today, you have to think that every injury scare Suter or Weber has right now must make them think "Damn I could be signed for 7 years at $50 mil right now".
I thought the same thing when Weber had his concussion. Also found it amusing reading how upset Weber's agent was at the league for the non-suspension. He thought he effed up big time for a minute there by not taking a longer deal.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Interesting way to look at it.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:06 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I thought the same thing when Weber had his concussion. Also found it amusing reading how upset Weber's agent was at the league for the non-suspension. He thought he effed up big time for a minute there by not taking a longer deal.
If that thought didnt go through Webers mind then he's a fool and I dont think he is an idiot. Weber has to realize that he is one headshot away from getting a series of one year contracts for below market value....

My concern was that the concussion would make his next contract un-insurable which would be financial suicide for us. Hopefully since he only missed a couple of games thats not the case.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think that Weber's insurance is going to be dependent on the length of the contract. Someone who is more familiar with the CBA can give a more detailed answer.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If that thought didnt go through Webers mind then he's a fool and I dont think he is an idiot. Weber has to realize that he is one headshot away from getting a series of one year contracts for below market value....

My concern was that the concussion would make his next contract un-insurable which would be financial suicide for us. Hopefully since he only missed a couple of games thats not the case.
The insurance guidelines aren't that stringent. We've all got a bad taste in our mouths because of the Lombardi incident, but his age combined with the fact that he had already missed an entire year with a concussion and a good chunk of another with a neck injury was likely the reason for that.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Shea Weber

Can Poile trade them anywhere he wants or do they have some sort of NTC/Trade Veto power?

Just seems funny that they are allegedly wanting to play for a contender, etc but there's trade rumors to Anaheim, etc. You'd think Suter would rather sign a 4-5 year deal with NSH than just get shipped to ANA minus Bobby Ryan, for example.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
Can Poile trade them anywhere he wants or do they have some sort of NTC/Trade Veto power?

Just seems funny that they are allegedly wanting to play for a contender, etc but there's trade rumors to Anaheim, etc. You'd think Suter would rather sign a 4-5 year deal with NSH than just get shipped to ANA minus Bobby Ryan, for example.
no restrictions at this point.

I think the talk of trading him to Anaheim is wrong. Makes zero sense to the Ducks.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
no restrictions at this point.

I think the talk of trading him to Anaheim is wrong. Makes zero sense to the Ducks.
again, the only place linking suter to anaheim is a known twitter fraud.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
again, the only place linking suter to anaheim is a known twitter fraud.
I think you missed my point.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:40 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
I think you missed my point.
what was that point, then?

Old
01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
We gave you everything we had. We're willing to commit. We've done all the right things. If you can't commit, there's no other reason than you don't want to be together anymore. No because of the money. No, it's deeper than that. You're telling us you've "outgrown us". Being a Pred was fine on the way up, but now that you're a recognized BMOC, staying a Pred would be Slummin'. It would hold you back. You feel like you've graduated to the Cool Kids table at school. You're "in" and we're ....... not.
Sweet analogy. This is exactly what my worries were regarding Weber. I didn't think I would see them come to fruition with Suter but I guess that's why I'm not a psychic. I really do agree with the "reputation" that we just aren't a 'cool' or 'in' franchise around the league and it's too bad. Let's be real. I don't think many players around the league see the good ole Nashville Predators winning a Cup despite our success on a top-8 level over the years.

I think we are seen as an overachieving franchise every season with no real shot of the ultimate prize. We're a nice story every year, doing 'more with less', stuck in a small market that gets no attention led by an unsung coach that gets little or no credit for the aforementioned chronic 'overachieving'. If we make the playoffs in a given year, people dismiss it as another great coaching job by Trotz, and if we miss it, they would likely say 'see, I guess their lack of overall talent was too much to overcome'. (At least I assume that's what they would say. We're too busy making the playoffs nearly every year to hear it.)

We make the playoffs but people anticipate our failure because we just aren't a sexy and intriguing team. To a large extent, those feelings are justified, but it leads me back to my original point. Or, ILIILI's original point. From the eyes of an elite player, much less one hitting their prime, are you willing to take a leap of faith with a franchise where your exposure will be at a minimum and "your" franchise will seemingly never be seen as an elite one?

It would be oh-so-much easier to just leave and take that leap with an established franchise with at least a little history of making deep playoff runs. An organization that has 'been there before'. I can't completely say I blame a player for feeling that way but on the other hand it leads me to believe that wanting to leave our situation is the result of either lack of confidence in our organization or lack of confidence in their ability to lead us to the promised land. Whatever the case, Suter is in fact playing the role of the kid who has started to hang out with the popular crowd and who knows if he'll stay true to his roots or jump the fence for the supposedly greener side.

No one wants to be that suddenly cool kid that hangs out with his nerdy middle school friends, just like Suter likely doesn't wanna be the elite talent that voluntarily stays with the feel-good team. Sure he "loves it" in Nashville but why wouldn't he? That's an empty compliment that quite honestly doesn't mean much to me. Bottom line is if he leaves, or again doesn't seem to put every effort forward to stay, it IS personal. We feel like we helped shape your into the person/player you are today, but you ditch us because we don't have a cool enough reputation to keep you intrigued during your "exciting" new chapter in your life. If you aren't 100% certain of your commitment here (which I have a strong feeling he's not) then just leave because we don't need anyone less than fully committed. Go enjoy your new life elsewhere.

Last edited by Drake744: 01-18-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:05 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
We feel like we helped shape your into the person/player you are today, but you ditch us because we don't have a cool enough reputation to keep you intrigued during your "exciting" new chapter in your life. If you aren't 100% certain of your commitment here (which I have a strong feeling he's not) then just leave because we don't need anyone less than fully committed. Go enjoy your new life elsewhere.
This is my big question. If you're Suter and you feel this way, why would you drag it out?

Why not just say, "David, the Preds don't have what it takes to keep me here. However, I appreciate what this organization has done for me, so I want you to get something in return. Put the word on the street that I'm available and try to maximize what you get."

What's the value in stringing it out? The plausible scenario there is what we've all imagined - Suter has said "show me your commitment by bringing in a top forward."

I'm not sure which scenario is real. The frustrating part is that both Suter and Weber have to know that Nashville will suffer more the longer they drag it out.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
This is my big question. If you're Suter and you feel this way, why would you drag it out?

Why not just say, "David, the Preds don't have what it takes to keep me here. However, I appreciate what this organization has done for me, so I want you to get something in return. Put the word on the street that I'm available and try to maximize what you get."

What's the value in stringing it out? The plausible scenario there is what we've all imagined - Suter has said "show me your commitment by bringing in a top forward."

I'm not sure which scenario is real. The frustrating part is that both Suter and Weber have to know that Nashville will suffer more the longer they drag it out.
I asked the very same thing during the Kovy fiasco. He would publicly talk about loving Atlanta and wanting to stay. In hind sight, I don't blame him for wanting out at all, but I really wish he would of privately requested a trade or something way sooner.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post

You could have a point, and I'm not trying to portray Suter as some kind of backstabber, but my answer to that I guess would be that he may be like 90% or so committed but isn't all the way there. Wants to have it both ways and wants to drag things out as long as possible with the hope that the relationship can be salvaged although he may not be too confident of it. That way it at least comes across that he was trying to make it work out somehow.

Same with Kovy perhaps?

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote