HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Smyth and Hemsky need a center!

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
Smyth and Hemsky need a center!

Smytty and Hemmer have been lacklustre the last few games to say the least. I don't think Horcoff has done a thing to help these guys. They need a veteran presense (a la Marchant) between them to calm things down. Horc is a 3rd liner tops. He had a great playoffs and I hope he does that again, but he's not the answer on the top line.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Walsher

They need to simplify things as well. Get the puck deep, have Smyth work the boards and get Hemsky moving rather than waiting for things to happen. Time and space = opportunity. Hemsky needs to understand he is out of Junior Hockey and weak cross ice saucer passes although pretty when completed rarely make it through. And when those passes come entering the zone that equals a turnover going the other way fast. Simplify things. Crash the net Smyth your a garbage collector a la Andrechuk and that is a fact. Hemsky get dirt a little. They have detergent to wash your uniform. Grind for the puck it will not be given to you. They need a center but they need to be better and that is the most obvious factor in the equation. Horcoff is a decent player and it isn't his fault the other two are playing like boobs. Hemsky and Smyth have been non-existent on the pp also lately. No desire and definately no desperation.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:24 PM
jadeddog

there is no question that smyth and hemsky havent been playing that good, but i think in both cases its excusable.... hemsky simply for the fact that he is so young, and hell, hes still leading in scoring for the team.... what more can we ask of him really?.... with smyth, its a problem that he has been asked to play center (hopefully tonight game was an indication of things to come and that experiment is over) which has been hard for him, and when he *does* play LW he doesnt have a legit number 1 centerman....

personally i dont think that they even really need a "number 1" centerman.... they just need to stick somebody in there and keep them there for a few games.... smyth will come around, he always has before

Old
11-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Walsher

Players have made position changes throughout the history of the NHL and it is not out of the ordinary Smytty had to aswell. People are making it seems as though he is going in as the goalie the way they make excuses. If he can't do it then don't try. He himself said he offered to do it and would continue doing it. He doesn't have the skills necessary. Not a skilled enough passer, not enough vision, his strengths are not in the center of the ice. Their numbers are so misleading. Hemsky and Smyth combined for 10 of 16 points on the pp. Any Oiler would have hose numbers if playing on the pp all the time. OIf course Hemsky is leading - he quarterbacks the pp and has more second assists than anyone else. They have not even been close to the best players on the ice since opening night when if I'm not mistaken Smyth and Hemsky each had 3 points. 3 of 7 points for Smyth - 3 of 9 for Hemsky. One big game and many average ones.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

What about Oates, we can get him for 1 million, he's a playmaker too though so Hemsky could act as a protege to Oates, but I don't know if they'd fit on the same line together cuz they both think pass first. I can imagine the 2 of them on a 2 on 1, Oates to Hemsky, back to Oates to Hemsky to Oates, drops it for Hemsky, Hemsky circles around th net, kicks it Oates, back to Hemsky....oh and the 3rd period is over.

Maybe...

Smyth-York-Hemsky
Isbister-Oates-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Torres-Horcoff/Sarno-Laraque/Salemeinen

Old
11-07-2003, 01:49 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
What about Oates, we can get him for 1 million, he's a playmaker too though so Hemsky could act as a protege to Oates, but I don't know if they'd fit on the same line together cuz they both think pass first. I can imagine the 2 of them on a 2 on 1, Oates to Hemsky, back to Oates to Hemsky to Oates, drops it for Hemsky, Hemsky circles around th net, kicks it Oates, back to Hemsky....oh and the 3rd period is over.

Maybe...

Smyth-York-Hemsky
Isbister-Oates-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Torres-Horcoff/Sarno-Laraque/Salemeinen

Oates has said that he would rather sit than sign below what he made last year (which was more than 1Mil), and that he would only sign with a contender. York would be interesting at C, but hes just soo much better on the wing.
I dunno... i keep thinking either O'Neill or Vasicek out of Carolina, but O"Neill makes 3.7mi/year.. and i dont know how willingly the Canes would give him up (hes been there since they drafted him as the Whalers). Vasicek is Finally blossoming into the center people thought he would be back in 2000-2001, but is he enough in a Comrie return? I dont think so. Also again I dont know how willing the Canes management would be to move him.......

I dont know anymore.. but I do think the Oil need a real centerman for the 1st line. It just feels like right now the team is buying time, mixing and matching untill the puzzle is complete, but I think the final piece to this puzzle is not currently on the team.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:57 AM
copperaddict

What do you expect from Hemsky and Smyth when they have been out there shorthanded every shift. Horcoff Has done nothing to deserve being in the line-up let alone on the first line! This team needs a top 2 line veteran centerman that wants to shoot the puck and solid in both ends of the rink. I realize Horcoff is still young but I just don't see him topping out as a top 2 line player. He's getting as many chances as Cleary had and producing just as much.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:56 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

well i hope something is done soon, smyth to me looks very average out there and hemsky is starting to struggle thats a given however it is his sophomore year. hemsky is leading the team in points right now can only imagine what his stats would be like once a centreman comes in and gels with him and smyth.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:59 AM
Hemmer

Here are a few looks:

Smyth Brind'amour Hemsky

Smyth Stefan Hemsky

Smyth Kolanos Hemsky

Smyth Vasicek Hemsky

Frolov Smyth Hemsky

Smyth Gagne Hemsky

Smyth Marleau Hemsky

Smyth Chistov Hemsky

Smyth Rucchin Hemsky

I can't think of any more rumored trading parters where a C was coming back at the moment...anyone else have anything?

Old
11-07-2003, 10:04 AM
T$$$

vCash:
What about giving Marty Reasoner a shot on the number 1 line???

Old
11-07-2003, 10:35 AM
camboy

This is the way I see the Oiler's depth at the forward positions:

LW Center RW

Smyth ???? Hemsky
York ???? Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Torres Horcoff Laraque
Isbister Stoll Salmo
Chimera Sarno
Rita

I based this on York and Smyth in their more effective positions and IMO Horcoff not being a first or second line player. I think we need to get Rita and Salmo some NHL playing time, as well as Stoll. The main priority is a first line center. IMO York can play 2nd line center until the log jam starts to break apart. I see Chimera, Horcoff, Isbister, and maybe Laraque as the most likely guys to get moved in a deal. I would hate to see Rita traded before he gets some quality minutes in Edmonton. If I was KLowe, I would concentrate on moving Comrie for a front line center and leave Chimera, Horcoff, and Isbister as principals in a top four d-man trade. Comrie and a 2nd for Marleau? Chimera and Horcoff for Delmore and Brown? Isbister for Vishnevski? Just some ideas....although if all these did happen the Oilers would be giving up approx. 6.2 million in salary(assuming Comrie at 3 million a year) and taking back 6.2 million. Hmmm.....

Old
11-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T$$$
What about giving Marty Reasoner a shot on the number 1 line???
Not something I would disagree with if he wasn't so damn valuable on the third line with Moreau and Pisani.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:10 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Not something I would disagree with if he wasn't so damn valuable on the third line with Moreau and Pisani.
You mean on the FIRST line with Moreau and Pisani.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:21 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
What about Oates, we can get him for 1 million,
I have heard a few people mention that Oates could be had for a million dollars but just before the season started Oates was quoted as saying that at his age he needs the risk to his body to be worth his while and that amounts to the same 3.5 mil he made last year.

I couldn't find the exact article that I was looking for but he is another that suggests the 3.5 anyways. The blurb is about 3/4 through the article.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/030915/6/uotf.html

Old
11-07-2003, 12:13 PM
SunshinesDad

Word is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Smytty and Hemmer have been lacklustre the last few games to say the least. I don't think Horcoff has done a thing to help these guys. They need a veteran presense (a la Marchant) between them to calm things down. Horc is a 3rd liner tops. He had a great playoffs and I hope he does that again, but he's not the answer on the top line.
In practice at least Peter Sarno was playing in between Smyth and Hemsky. Would be interesting to see it happen at least.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Hemsky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
This is the way I see the Oiler's depth at the forward positions:

LW Center RW

Smyth ???? Hemsky
York ???? Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Torres Horcoff Laraque
Isbister Stoll Salmo
Chimera Sarno
Rita

I based this on York and Smyth in their more effective positions and IMO Horcoff not being a first or second line player. I think we need to get Rita and Salmo some NHL playing time, as well as Stoll. The main priority is a first line center. IMO York can play 2nd line center until the log jam starts to break apart. I see Chimera, Horcoff, Isbister, and maybe Laraque as the most likely guys to get moved in a deal. I would hate to see Rita traded before he gets some quality minutes in Edmonton. If I was KLowe, I would concentrate on moving Comrie for a front line center and leave Chimera, Horcoff, and Isbister as principals in a top four d-man trade. Comrie and a 2nd for Marleau? Chimera and Horcoff for Delmore and Brown? Isbister for Vishnevski? Just some ideas....although if all these did happen the Oilers would be giving up approx. 6.2 million in salary(assuming Comrie at 3 million a year) and taking back 6.2 million. Hmmm.....

I agree with you totally on Smyth and York not being Centres although I probably would not give up on Isbister just yet. I really like Kolanos to fit into the second line and PLEASE, PLEASE, let them resign Comrie. There is no one that they could get in a trade who would be a #1 centre right now like him.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:25 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Smyth and Hemsky don't really need a center as much as needing some semblance of defensive responsibility and a huge kick in the butt.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:27 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinesDad
In practice at least Peter Sarno was playing in between Smyth and Hemsky. Would be interesting to see it happen at least.
Ugh. The line of Hemsky, Smyth and Horcoff were getting absolutely killed by the opposition last night. ... giving away pucks and constantly losing battles along the boards. As hard as Peter has worked, he is no Jere Lehtinen. It scares me to think of what could happen in our own zone.

Closed Thread