HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team "systems"

Old
01-17-2012, 07:17 AM
BadMcFadden

vCash: 500
Team "systems"

I only ever played house league hockey so I have very little understanding of the "systems" teams use. I hear the term used a lot - usually as players buying in to the coach's system, or the system not being well-suited to the player.

I assume it refers to positioning and coverage and whatnot, so I was wondering to what extent a game is influenced by how each team's system plays vs the other.

Last night watching sens vs jets it was like Ottawa just could not get anything going. Every pass was either a dump in that winnipeg would get to easily, or a pass landing on a jets stick, or a pass sent to a covered player. Whatever ottawa was doing it was like there were no open passing lanes for pretty much the entire game. So I wondered if that could be because the jets system has a very good matchup against Ottawa's. Or if it really was just the simple stuff like the jets skating faster, being more aggressive, or hell even just luckier with the bounces.

BadMcFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:58 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Systems matter because they make the game easy on the players. A team with a system does not have to rely on thinking the game through when on the ice; they know exactly where their teammates will be on the breakout, they know exactly who they are responsible for covering in the defensive zone or on the backcheck, and they know exactly where to work the puck to in the offensive zone. A team that has committed to a system is able to make quick plays because everything is preset and practiced; thus you have confidence that your teammates are exactly where they need to be to support you. A team that has not committed to a system is at a disadvantage because players aren't necessarily going to know where their teammates are, and it can lead to greater miscommunication.

01-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Systems if you have a really great coach who is in long term also dictates your drafting and trades - you acquire players that fit the team system, Jacques Martin loves big, mobile D man who were good in the corners and had a decent first pass (Phillips, included Chara in the Yashin trade, Hnidy, Meszaros) - saw this in Montreal as well with Hal Gill and Hamrlik being signed, as well as bottom 6 he preffered skill over size and grit and so we saw a lot of little speedy guys on Ottawa's bottom 6.

Muckler loved on speed and skill and we saw him try for homeruns at the draft be taking lots of Russians.

Murray likes competativeness and natural talent over straight skill, that's why he tends to draft players that have had great junior playoffs like Z. Smith, Stone, Cowick, Weircoche and Noessen instead of straight up skilled players who don't love to play the game and win.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:10 PM
BadMcFadden

Right so is there a risk that sometimes one teams' system just has a major advantage over another's?

I just wondered if sometimes when it looks like a lousy game (e.g. last night's vs the jets) if it could be due to how the two team's systems match up. It sounds like that could happen.

I think you could look at it like mixed martial arts... one guy specializes in jiujitsu, the other in boxing, and another guy in kickboxing or whatever... maybe the jiujitsu guy has a great matchup vs the boxer but a bad one vs the kickboxer - just based on how the styles interact with one another.

Does that apply to hockey systems where maybe Winnipeg's system has a natural advantage over Ottawa's?

BadMcFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I would like to answer but I am not sure some things, I think that I must learn English fluently first and than visit the board because I have problem understand good a lot of things what you write... and cannot answer right I cannot continue with my English anymore.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Yesterday when I was reffing, the visiting team played a 1-3 on the PK (1 man forecheck, the other 3 holding the zone), and because the home team was making long stretch passes, everything got intercepted.

If I was coaching and a team started playing a 1-3, I would tell my players to skate up as far as they could and as soon as they get passed the red line to dump it in. Then I'd get them to have a 2-1-2 forecheck, and get control of the puck.

That's one example.

If I notice that the other team is playing a Small Box on the PK, you make sure your players move closer to the net, because that team is giving you space. If their forwards rush to the point, keep the puck below the net, and vice versa.

The Flyers vs Tampa game was a good example of systems, for sure.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcy View Post
Right so is there a risk that sometimes one teams' system just has a major advantage over another's?

I just wondered if sometimes when it looks like a lousy game (e.g. last night's vs the jets) if it could be due to how the two team's systems match up. It sounds like that could happen.

I think you could look at it like mixed martial arts... one guy specializes in jiujitsu, the other in boxing, and another guy in kickboxing or whatever... maybe the jiujitsu guy has a great matchup vs the boxer but a bad one vs the kickboxer - just based on how the styles interact with one another.

Does that apply to hockey systems where maybe Winnipeg's system has a natural advantage over Ottawa's?
Systems can definitely exploit each other's weaknesses. That's why a good system has flexible strategy, so you can tweak how your team plays to counter an opposing system's strengths or defend your own systems weaknesses. A good coach knows how to adjust his strategy depending on the context of the game and the opponent's system. I think against Winnipeg, it was a combination of Winnipeg's system working really well against Ottawa (good strategy by the coaches, players exploited our system by being aggressive and forcing turnovers), while the Sens were unable to adjust (players tried to force plays, coaches did not settle team down and refocus to be more conservative with the puck).

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote