HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

O'Reilly assigned to Portland

Old
01-17-2012, 12:39 PM
AZcoyotes33

vCash: 500
O'Reilly assigned to Portland

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=612207

Not sure if this means that Hanzal is back, but i sure hope so.

AZcoyotes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:43 PM
doaner

If he is back, it is Definaetly good news for the teams defense.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Either Hanzal or Torres.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Kaizen

Probably a good chance COR tests the re-entry waiver process in the not too distant future.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Heard Hanzal went through the morning skates yesterday. Guess he's close.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Builditagain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Probably a good chance COR tests the re-entry waiver process in the not too distant future.
I'm praying Sully does too.Maybe we could get the whole band back together on the Island or west coast!i

Builditagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Grimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
I'm praying Sully does too.Maybe we could get the whole band back together on the Island or west coast!i
What? This makes absolutely no sense.

Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:30 PM
knowsthegame

Rather than claim any more marginal players on waivers, I would rather see some of our prospects in Portland get a chance. Pouliot and Summers have played well.
MacLean is again leading the farm in goals - he couldn't do any worse than POS or COR did.
Brule may just be the exception and work out, hopefully. We'll see.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I was pretty happy with MAP before Brule kind of stole the spotlight. We shall see if Brule can keep it up. I've seen more out of Brule and MAP than either COR or POS. The latter two I feel I've seen enough of.

Old
01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Builditagain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I was pretty happy with MAP before Brule kind of stole the spotlight. We shall see if Brule can keep it up. I've seen more out of Brule and MAP than either COR or POS. The latter two I feel I've seen enough of.
Just check the stats-not even close in games played goals assists expierence and winning percentage while being in the NHL lineups.Sully is better than all of them and has proved it. All he needs is the Opportunity with other players that have hands and not cement mitts found on the 3rd and 4th lines.Same ol' just different sized lumps,give it a shake.

Old
01-17-2012, 03:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

O'Sullivan is a career minor leaguer who just blew his last shot. The NHL will be forever a memory. Nothing more.

Too bad he didn't have support he needed from his dead beat father. What a waste.

Old
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
hbk

Quote:
Just check the stats-not even close in games played goals assists expierence and winning percentage while being in the NHL lineups.Sully is better than all of them and has proved it. All he needs is the Opportunity with other players that have hands and not cement mitts found on the 3rd and 4th lines.Same ol' just different sized lumps,give it a shake.
Quite frankly I think POS had that opportunity when he first joined the league and he dropped the ball. He's spent the better part of his career trying to get back to that type of situation and at some point it has to be determined that it isn't just the system. He has talent, nobody has ever questioned that. His ability to play effectively consistently in a team game is still a question mark. He's got talent yes but he's not so talented that I think the organization would even consider building around him or relying on him for the long-term to be a key player for this team. He's a bandaid... and when you don't need the bandaid you typically just take it off and throw it away.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:07 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

O'Reilly is heading to Portland and will be in the lineup tomorrow.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Builditagain*

Sully,"Trade me right f-ing now!".:laughNon-issue with Pops,re-connected years ago when in La La land.In fact their getting the whole band back together on the coast with Grandson" Bam Bam".Sorry we don't talk about family with the vagrants and loiters.

Old
01-17-2012, 07:16 PM
sueroe

Quote:
Sully,"Trade me right f-ing now!".:laughNon-issue with Pops,re-connected years ago when in La La land.In fact their getting the whole band back together on the coast with Grandson" Bam Bam".Sorry we don't talk about family with the vagrants and loiters.
yeah thats just sad and not true.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
MP

Quote:
I think we need to clear something up.

O'Sullivan was asked to play on the 4th line, that's true. And it's also true that you can't expect a player to set the league on fire when he's getting 4th-line minutes game in and game out.

What you seem to have missed is that Dave Tippett knows this. He wasn't expecting O'Sullivan to produce like a 1st liner playing 4th-line minutes with 4th-line talent. That was never the point.

Rather, Tippett was asking O'Sullivan to prove that he could be an NHL-caliber player in all three zones, and to show that he could help a moribund power play. If POS could do that, he'd stay up and play more.

That didn't happen. Now POS is behind COR, MAP, and Brule on the organizational depth chart, because those players have shown more when given the same opportunity. There's nothing insidious or mind-bending about it. Why do you keep insisting on giving POS an expanded role when he couldn't justify even a limited one?

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builditagain* View Post
Perhaps he was willing to SKATE back then?

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Perhaps he was willing to SKATE back then?
Yea, he didn't show much up here. Perhaps if he starts from training camp he might land a job. We will need a few forwards next year.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:02 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
I think we need to clear something up.

O'Sullivan was asked to play on the 4th line, that's true. And it's also true that you can't expect a player to set the league on fire when he's getting 4th-line minutes game in and game out.

What you seem to have missed is that Dave Tippett knows this. He wasn't expecting O'Sullivan to produce like a 1st liner playing 4th-line minutes with 4th-line talent. That was never the point.

Rather, Tippett was asking O'Sullivan to prove that he could be an NHL-caliber player in all three zones, and to show that he could help a moribund power play. If POS could do that, he'd stay up and play more.

That didn't happen. Now POS is behind COR, MAP, and Brule on the organizational depth chart, because those players have shown more when given the same opportunity. There's nothing insidious or mind-bending about it. Why do you keep insisting on giving POS an expanded role when he couldn't justify even a limited one?
I don't know if it's the ownership thing keeping me from caring as much or I've just become used to it. The fact is that players that are offensively oriented without much defensive skill simply won't play here, especially the young ones. Tippett won't sacrifice defense for offense AT ALL. The thing that used to bother me is he won't give guys minutes to learn and develop defensively and he won't combine the younger offensive players with other offensively skilled players (not that we've had many) to try and take advantage of what some of these guys bring to the table.

You don't have to look any further than our overtime pairings and PP to see this. How many times would we see Turris pulling splinters out of his butt while Fiddler, Hanzal and Belanger were getting all the PP time and were our 3 centers in OT? I love Hanzal but I can't stand watching him as one of our top options in OT and on the PP and the other two are just a joke in those situations. Chipchura in OT? Are you kidding me??

Would it change if we traded for established, older scorers? I hope so but that won't happen until we get an owner. Until then Tippett will keep enjoying playing a roster full of bottom six forwards which are all Maloney is able to get and our young offensively skilled forwards will either develop for someone else, not develop at all or learn to play so scared their game develops at a crawl (See Boedker).

That used to bother me. Now, it is what it is. Until/unless we get an owner, it's just another joke our organization is the butt of these days.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:04 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builditagain* View Post
Sully is better than all of them and has proved it.
Umm, when was that?

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I don't know if it's the ownership thing keeping me from caring as much or I've just become used to it. The fact is that players that are offensively oriented without much defensive skill simply won't play here, especially the young ones.
It's a function of the budgetary forces that have shaped the roster, and in turn the conservative style of hockey the team has to play to win.

At any rate, Pouliot and Brule have both shown more offensively than O'Sullivan.

Quote:
not develop at all or learn to play so scared their game develops at a crawl (See Boedker).
Boedker's problem isn't fear. It's that he can't seem to finish. He's creating some nice chances for himself because he's fast, he can stickhandle pretty well and he can drive the net, sometimes with a surprising degree of power. I think of the way he's played this year and it seems like he should have more goals, just on his own merits. And since he plays a lot on the Doan/Langkow line, I doubt if ice time is really the problem.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
PhoPhan

Yeah, I don't think Boedker is playing scared at all. He's entering the zone and driving the net with as much authority as anyone on the team.

The problem stems from two very related issues. The first is that he's not shooting enough. His shooting percentage is a respectable 14%, but he has only 50 shots this season (in 46 games). That's brutal. The other issue, stemming from this one, is that he has no one who can finish for him. Passing too much isn't an issue when you have a triggerman on your line. Perhaps when Hanzal returns, a Vrbata-Hanzal-Boedker line would work.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Louiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
It's a function of the budgetary forces that have shaped the roster, and in turn the conservative style of hockey the team has to play to win.

At any rate, Pouliot and Brule have both shown more offensively than O'Sullivan.

Boedker's problem isn't fear. It's that he can't seem to finish. He's creating some nice chances for himself because he's fast, he can stickhandle pretty well and he can drive the net, sometimes with a surprising degree of power. I think of the way he's played this year and it seems like he should have more goals, just on his own merits. And since he plays a lot on the Doan/Langkow line, I doubt if ice time is really the problem.
ture Boedker has a lot of ice time because he earned it.

One thing I've realized with this team is that you earn your ice time and the coach distributes it accordingly.

No matter who you are and if you are a top draft pick or not... you need to earn it. Some team gives breaks to younger players and it may work but sometimes it doesnt work on the long run too.

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
hbk

We need to upgrade on Langkow. He just isn't the same player that we saw in October. I like him and I suspect we'll bring him back next year at a much reduced rate but we need another offensive center who can create chances. Langkow is invisible most nights once he crosses the blueline.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Louiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
We need to upgrade on Langkow. He just isn't the same player that we saw in October. I like him and I suspect we'll bring him back next year at a much reduced rate but we need another offensive center who can create chances. Langkow is invisible most nights once he crosses the blueline.
Hanzal will be back this week so that will probably solves that problem.

you have also Gordon, Chipchura, Pouliot at center + Brule who can play there too but I really think he is better on the wing with his style.

With Hanzal's retunr Langkow ice time will probably decrease a bit.

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote